Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A dirty job, but somebody's got to do it

4 posters

Go down

A dirty job, but somebody's got to do it Empty A dirty job, but somebody's got to do it

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:28 pm

http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/ColumnsOthers/A-dirty-job-but-somebody-s-got-to-do-it/Article1-985887.aspx

Back to top Go down

A dirty job, but somebody's got to do it Empty Re: A dirty job, but somebody's got to do it

Post by artood2 Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:36 pm

Every one should get a lawyer. Who knows if the cops caught the correct guy or not.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

A dirty job, but somebody's got to do it Empty Re: A dirty job, but somebody's got to do it

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:44 pm

two words - ram jethmalani
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am

Rashmun wrote:http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/ColumnsOthers/A-dirty-job-but-somebody-s-got-to-do-it/Article1-985887.aspx

>>>Don't know how binding the resolutions are upon individual lawyers, but an individual lawyer presumably can choose not to represent a client. In fact, this seems like a slippery slope in terms of ethics. I would think the lawyer as an officer of the court cannot in good conscience assert the client's innocence if he knows the facts to be otherwise. It then comes down to either choosing to being in denial of the facts (in a case like this ) or angling to get the client off on a technicality. I think a lawyer would be well within his rights ethically to not want to represent these culprits.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:41 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/ColumnsOthers/A-dirty-job-but-somebody-s-got-to-do-it/Article1-985887.aspx

>>>Don't know how binding the resolutions are upon individual lawyers, but an individual lawyer presumably can choose not to represent a client. In fact, this seems like a slippery slope in terms of ethics. I would think the lawyer as an officer of the court cannot in good conscience assert the client's innocence if he knows the facts to be otherwise. It then comes down to either choosing to being in denial of the facts (in a case like this ) or angling to get the client off on a technicality. I think a lawyer would be well within his rights ethically to not want to represent these culprits.

From what I have learned over the years:

A lawyer cannot represent a client/defendant if he believed or know that the person is guilty. For this reason, most criminal lawyers will never ask the dreaded question "Did you do it?" If the defendant acknowledged his criminality, the lawyer will not be wholeheartedly and ethically argue that his client did not commit.

In this Delhi rape case, most lawyers - as most people believe that the defendants are guilty. A court-appointed lawyer may represent the defendant without acknowledging his opinion and without asking the dreaded question - thus dodging the ethical question.

Hopefully Ram Jethmalani did not make any negative comments against the 6 and willing to represent them.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:07 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:

From what I have learned over the years:

A lawyer cannot represent a client/defendant if he believed or know that the person is guilty. For this reason, most criminal lawyers will never ask the dreaded question "Did you do it?" If the defendant acknowledged his criminality, the lawyer will not be wholeheartedly and ethically argue that his client did not commit.

In this Delhi rape case, most lawyers - as most people believe that the defendants are guilty. A court-appointed lawyer may represent the defendant without acknowledging his opinion and without asking the dreaded question - thus dodging the ethical question.

Hopefully Ram Jethmalani did not make any negative comments against the 6 and willing to represent them.

>>>> That is probably standard practice. Remember the first lawyer in the OJ Simpson case (Shapiro?) before Cochran? I think Simpson may have blabbered something to him, which put him in an awkward position.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:23 am

I think a lawyer is obliged to defend a criminal even if he thinks his client is guilty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:41 am

Rashmun wrote:I think a lawyer is obliged to defend a criminal even if he thinks his client is guilty.

>>>> If he has definite knowledge of his client's guilt, he presumably will have to walk gingerly around his client's actions and keep the discussions limited to legal technicalities such as admissibility of evidence, compromising of witnesses etc. to get his client off. I would imagine this would be a helluva task since he would have no way of knowing the prosecution's tact. Since he cannot argue that his client is innocent (knowing otherwise), I think he can cite that he cannot act in the best interest of the client and therefore get out of any obligation to defend. I don't know the legalities of this and am just guessing here.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:56 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:I think a lawyer is obliged to defend a criminal even if he thinks his client is guilty.

>>>> If he has definite knowledge of his client's guilt, he presumably will have to walk gingerly around his client's actions and keep the discussions limited to legal technicalities such as admissibility of evidence, compromising of witnesses etc. to get his client off. I would imagine this would be a helluva task since he would have no way of knowing the prosecution's tact. Since he cannot argue that his client is innocent (knowing otherwise), I think he can cite that he cannot act in the best interest of the client and therefore get out of any obligation to defend. I don't know the legalities of this and am just guessing here.

In a murder case the trick is to introduce any doubt in the mind of the judge about whether your client is really guilty since benefit of doubt in such cases goes to the accused.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down