Child Narriage Law overrides Muslim personal law - Court Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Child Narriage Law overrides Muslim personal law - Court

5 posters

Go down

Child Narriage Law overrides Muslim personal law - Court Empty Child Narriage Law overrides Muslim personal law - Court

Post by Uppili Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 pm

....Will MT Ma Sonia do a Shah Bano on this Law?

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Child Narriage Law overrides Muslim personal law - Court Empty Re: Child Narriage Law overrides Muslim personal law - Court

Post by Rishi Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:13 pm

My neighbor who was a Muslim back home got his 17 year old daughter married to a 34 year old guy. Next to them lived a Mudaliyar family who belonged to DK. They used to bring up that fact and tease their Muslim neighbors. It created friction among these two families.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Child Narriage Law overrides Muslim personal law - Court Empty Re: Child Narriage Law overrides Muslim personal law - Court

Post by goodcitizn Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:39 pm

Recently our former driver aged 31 married a 16-year-old, both Muslims. I was not pleased and told him so. But he simply said it is their custom. I am not sure to what extent Child Marriage Laws are enforced in India. Even some Hindus in villages have girls under 18 getting married.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Uppili Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 am

goodcitizn wrote:Recently our former driver aged 31 married a 16-year-old, both Muslims. I was not pleased and told him so. But he simply said it is their custom. I am not sure to what extent Child Marriage Laws are enforced in India. Even some Hindus in villages have girls under 18 getting married.

okiee.. I am becoming a muslim.

Uppili

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:09 am

Uppili wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Recently our former driver aged 31 married a 16-year-old, both Muslims. I was not pleased and told him so. But he simply said it is their custom. I am not sure to what extent Child Marriage Laws are enforced in India. Even some Hindus in villages have girls under 18 getting married.

Why, do you want to marry a teenager?

Seriously, I hope this remains the law of the land. Any small step we can get towards more uniform civil law should be welcomed.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:13 pm

panileni paparao wrote:
Uppili wrote:

Why, do you want to marry a teenager?

Seriously, I hope this remains the law of the land. Any small step we can get towards more uniform civil law should be welcomed.
This is not a change in policy or thinking beacuse of the initiative by the court or courts, but simply a positive reaction on the part of some people in Muslim community after several incidents (such as in Hyderabad etc.) in which young teenage Muslim girls were married off by their poor parents to rich, old men from abroad (Arabia etc.). Anyway, the MUslim clergy and the Personal Law Boards still haven't issued any statements (including official fatawas) supporting this change, which means that officially the status quo continues.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down