What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:50 am

"Very good....but you have not garnished and presented your baby potatoes
nicely...moreover can't eat only the potatoes..did u make
rotis/phulkas? Incomplete "post:P

Rekz the food critique!. Those potatoes look deliciously yummy, I can eat them without rotis. tongue

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Rekz Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:58 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Rekz wrote:Very good....but you have not garnished and presented your baby potatoes nicely...

No garnish with fried potatoes. And yes, I do have a lot to learn on presentation from HK bhai.

Hk(not my) bhai can't take any credit here...his wife or cook is doing all the hard work:) .. .
Merlot-Atleast you did all the work...cook,click & upload.
So the best chef award goes to you *Thaliyan*
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 pm

hahaha at thaliyan which means 'the plates' in hindi.... guess a very appropriate comment at this time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Rekz wrote:Hk(not my) bhai can't take any credit here...his wife or cook is doing all the hard work:) .. .
Merlot-Atleast you did all the work...cook,click & upload.
So the best chef award goes to you *Thaliyan*

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rekz wrote:Very good....but you have not garnished and presented your baby potatoes nicely...moreover can't eat only the potatoes..did u make rotis/phulkas? Incomplete post:P

ha ha ha. he probably had it with bread.

Actually, I had it with dal and rice. Along with fried bombil. And my favorite (lawnmower) beer.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what's that clamp thing (to hold the hot vessel) called in english? we call it sandasi.

The chimta? I think those are called tongs in English.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:43 pm

no chimta is something else. It's actually a tongue with flat surface used to flip chapatis or papad on the stove.

In the pic is sandasi. Or many people use its short form 'sansin' with n in the end for a bit nasal tone in the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:59 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:no chimta is something else. It's actually a tongue with flat surface used to flip chapatis or papad on the stove.

In the pic is sandasi. Or many people use its short form 'sansin' with n in the end for a bit nasal tone in the end.

It's called chimta in these parts, but the same word also describes the flat tongs used to flip chapatis. In Delhi, they used to call this pakkad.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:08 pm

"It's called chimta in these parts, but the same word also describes the flat tongs used to flip chapatis. In Delhi, they used to call this pakkad."

You are correct Merlot, and in US we call them tongs,
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 13-10
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:41 pm

yes, tongs is the right word. i guess it's called chimta in mumbai and down and pakkad in delhi and up.

Merlot Daruwala wrote: Along with fried bombil.
i gots to try fried bombil.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:27 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Didn't know alur dom could be dry as well. I've only seen the gravied version, and much enjoyed it with radha-ballabis.

alur dom is made in both ways -- dry and gravied. with radha ballabis, though, i've mostly been served the dry version of alur dom.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Inspired by Merlot's baby potatoes...I deep fried colocasia yam..it goes well with lemon rasam(any rasam) & rice.The first time i had this was during hostel days...been very long since i had seppankizhagu(c.yam in tamil) fry.
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:40 pm

rekz, cocolosia yam is what we call arbi in hindi isn't it?

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 5532010

btw. i have a great recipe for cooking it -- if you like i can share photos and recipe. our recipe is (as narrated by my wife):

- boil arbi (don't over boil) . peel. cool it.
- flatten arbi with hand
- heat in pan tadka of ghee, ajwain & hing -- then add to the tadka haldi (turmeric powder), dhaniya (coriander), red chilli powder -- bhunno (everything should be half bhunnoed though)
- add arbi to the pan -- bhunno
- give dum (cover with vessel)
- keep mixing during dum
- add garam masala when done
- garnish with green coriander leaves
- eat with roti/paratha/poori and squeeze lime on the arbi dish while eating.

note: you have given "dum" to the dish. if you want to give it "phukt" too, put two embers of charcoal on the vessel covering the arbi during dum -- totally unnecessary but now you can call it dumphukt arbi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:31 am

i request northindians on this forum to spell chimta/pakkad as saandsi / saandasi. please don't spell it is sandasi. eww.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:36 am

Another Brick wrote:i request northindians on this forum to spell chimta/pakkad as saandsi / saandasi. please don't spell it is sandasi. eww.

so TW was right after all (agent was wrong).

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:47 am

no no. i was concerned with the spelling (sandasi - eww). i don't know what northindians must call it.

we call it chimta in MH. that's the word for both pakkad (heave lifting) and tong (for papad and phulkas).

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:00 am

Another Brick wrote:i request northindians on this forum to spell chimta/pakkad as saandsi / saandasi. please don't spell it is sandasi. eww.

Haha...in fact when HKbhai first mentioned the word, I thought he was joking or there was a typo.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:07 am

yeah, i also read it as that and i thought it was meant to denote a poorer cousin of sanyasi. the one who cannot afford to go to the himalayas but gets all the solitude.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:25 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Haha...in fact when HKbhai first mentioned the word, I thought he was joking or there was a typo.

http://shabdkosh.raftaar.in/Hindi-Dictionary/meaning/sandasi

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:31 am

hmm... there's another word in Marathi for this chimta which is saandShee. i thought even hindi word starts with "saan" and not "san". a bad bad word for the kitchen-talk.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:35 am

Another Brick wrote:yeah, i also read it as that and i thought it was meant to denote a poorer cousin of sanyasi. the one who cannot afford to go to the himalayas but gets all the solitude.

lol! Oh that's me for sure. All my meditations take place on that lonely perch.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:55 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:rekz, cocolosia yam is what we call arbi in hindi isn't it?

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 5532010

btw. i have a great recipe for cooking it -- if you like i can share photos and recipe. our recipe is (as narrated by my wife):

- boil arbi (don't over boil) . peel. cool it.
- flatten arbi with hand
- heat in pan tadka of ghee, ajwain & hing -- then add to the tadka haldi (turmeric powder), dhaniya (coriander), red chilli powder -- bhunno (everything should be half bhunnoed though)
- add arbi to the pan -- bhunno
- give dum (cover with vessel)
- keep mixing during dum
- add garam masala when done
- garnish with green coriander leaves
- eat with roti/paratha/poori and squeeze lime on the arbi dish while eating.

note: you have given "dum" to the dish. if you want to give it "phukt" too, put two embers of charcoal on the vessel covering the arbi during dum -- totally unnecessary but now you can call it dumphukt arbi.

Thanks for dumphukt arbi bong recipe HK.Smile
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:45 am

Rekz wrote:
Thanks for dumphukt arbi bong recipe HK.Smile

ha ha. it is not a bong recipe rekz.it's how my mom used to make it. you can call it UP style. we will be making it tomorrow. i might post pictures.

the dish you made last night probably looked like this. right?

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 Nithus10

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:06 am

yes...the one i got did not have thick skin...it was round in shape..with almost no skin ...

We do prepare arbi curry adding tamarind pulp and coconut milk(optional)...if "I" happen to cook anytime will post pics:)
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:31 am

I don't like the feel of arvi, it is slimy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:09 am

*for rekz -- the one and only heroine of ch*

patke ki arbi
or literally, flattened arbi (mom's cookbook, pg 15, 2nd from top) with baasi (leftover) parathas. recipe is already there upstairs. this is a hindi dish.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 Imag0220

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:23 am

Priya wrote:I don't like the feel of arvi, it is slimy.

ditto. i eat oats a minute after i soak them in milk otherwise they also become slimy. besides, skinned arbi/arvi also reminds me of mice.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:12 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:*for rekz -- the one and only heroine of ch*

patke ki arbi
or literally, flattened arbi (mom's cookbook, pg 15, 2nd from top) with baasi (leftover) parathas. recipe is already there upstairs. this is a hindi dish.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 Imag0220

Awesome! it looks like mutton fry:) brilliant....*big hug* to ur cook/wife
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:26 am

"besides, skinned arbi/arvi also reminds me of mice."-Bricks

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:38 am

Lunch today was salli boti with pav.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 am

Have not heard of salli boti, what is it?

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeStyle Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:28 am

Looks nice Huzefa
Kale Keaves sabji with potatoes w bread slices
FreeStyle
FreeStyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:57 am

Priya wrote:Have not heard of salli boti, what is it?

It's a parsi mutton curry. Topped with deep-fried, crispy, potato slivers.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 50469096_08a80bcb3a
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:59 am

the femail across the mutton appears to have promise. who is she?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:02 am

No idea. Picture sourced from internets for purely referential purposes.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:07 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:the femail across the mutton appears to have promise. who is she?

Shocked you have eyes or x ray eyes?

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:08 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:the femail across the mutton appears to have promise. who is she?

Shocked you have eyes or x ray eyes?

LOLLLLLL

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:30 am

looks good

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:23 pm

[img]What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 Cutlet11[/img]

Veggie Cutlet/ Generic Veggie Patty. Phew..figured out how to post images. Thanks to HA.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:28 pm

how did HA help you? the rank and file wants to know. (btw, nice job.)

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:how did HA help you? the rank and file wants to know. (btw, nice job.)

Thanks. He posted a mini tutorial on how to post images, which wasn't much, but did help.

The important thing he left out was that you didn't need another email address to register at servimg. He did say we could use the same one we did for SUCH, but I didn't know what that was as I had used the 10 min email at that time. But I just realized that it was still saved under profile info. Yeah...brain waves and such. I'm sorta dense with these sort of things.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:40 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Just made some pan-fried baby potatoes. Came out nicely browned..could have been better, though. I panicked when I smelt the tadka burn and lowered the flame..tsk.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 6 P7150210

That pressure cooker needs to be scrubbed like 10-15 times with lime and what not. My mom would go nuts if she sees this. Every time she visits, mine would look like this and they would look brand new before she leaves.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by FreeStyle Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:08 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
Veggie Cutlet/ Generic Veggie Patty. Phew..figured out how to post images. Thanks to HA.
wah wah.....potato / mixed veg?
FreeStyle
FreeStyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:44 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:That pressure cooker needs to be scrubbed like 10-15 times with lime and what not.

LOL! i thought it was spotless clean. oh well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:02 pm

HK,

just wanted to say that i am insanely jealous of your food pics and the fact that you seem to have the bestest cook in your home.

here, for the cook...flower

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:58 pm

FreeStyle wrote:
ashaNirasha wrote:
wah wah.....potato / mixed veg?

This was just potato, didn't have peas and carrots that day.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:39 am

Impedimenta wrote:HK,

just wanted to say that i am insanely jealous of your food pics and the fact that you seem to have the bestest cook in your home.

ha ha ha, yes i do have great cook. but not to take credit away from my wife for she's a great cook too (she learnt cooking after marriage and mostly from my mom). but i must thank you for the vengaya sambar recipe. i am tempted to repeat it but i think we will make another rasam in a few days. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss.Blah Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:08 am

Spicy crab - cup noodles.

Miss.Blah

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:HK,

ha ha ha, yes i do have great cook. but not to take credit away from my wife for she's a great cook too (she learnt cooking after marriage and mostly from my mom). but i must thank you for the vengaya sambar recipe. i am tempted to repeat it but i think we will make another rasam in a few days. Smile

oh wait, here for your wife...special double dose....flower flower

Last edited by Impedimenta on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : i am blind)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Impedimenta wrote:oh wait, here for your wife...special double dose....flower flower

lol! she is on maikation presently and surprisingly i have been in a good mood whole day (as have been the kids i just noticed). thanks, i get two flowers. ill pass them on....or er, maybe i won't. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:33 am

Keralite lunch today. Surmai fry for appetizer, mutton curry and beef curry with malabari parota for main course. Washed down with butter milk.

In a state of food coma for the last couple of hours and waiting for my afternoon kaapi.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next