What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 am

arbi rasa with parathas. tadka ajwain (carom seeds) and hing in ghee. add slit green chillis. add boiled, diced arbi (cocolosia yam). fry for a min or two. add diluted dahi (dilute to consistency desired; we dilute it to watery consistency), haldi and blend and cook while stirring. garnish with coriander.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Imag0221

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:48 am

Sadly, I dislike arbi and I dislike ajwain. Anyway, I'm in food coma second day running. My lunch today was from coastal Karnataka:

Crab soup

Pan-fried pomfret

Squid kundapura (tender squid in a spicy gravy)

Mutton sukka

Neer dosa

Washed down with beer (pint of the lawnmower variety)
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:59 am

ah, i would have loved seeing a pic. of the squid curry (never heard of an indian squid dish before) as also the beef curry you had yesterday. i have never tasted beef curry cooked with indian spices.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:02 am

Haha..sadly, my ancient BB doesn't have a camera. Been meaning to upgrade, but just plain lazy.

The squid curry looked somewhat like this, just two shades darker.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 1194213054
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:16 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Sadly, I dislike arbi and I dislike ajwain. Anyway, I'm in food coma second day running. My lunch today was from coastal Karnataka:

Crab soup

Pan-fried pomfret

Mutton sukka

Neer dosa

MD, you ate 4 types of meat in one meal! you are talking about food coma...i am trying to look up hospitals and clinics so I can plan on getting you some mosambis and curd rice.
are you a food critic? do you get invited by chefs to sample their new menus?

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:19 am

.|Sublime|. wrote: do you get invited by chefs to sample their new menus?

ha ha, must be!

Merlot Daruwala wrote:sadly, my ancient BB doesn't have a camera. Been meaning to upgrade, but just plain lazy.

yes, you do that.

thanks for the pic. i had tandoori octopus not too long ago and they were good. i suppose squids would taste a bit like octopus judging from the pic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:21 am

Im having dosa burger...sorry no pic
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:23 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:arbi rasa with parathas. tadka ajwain (carom seeds) and hing in ghee. add slit green chillis. add boiled, diced arbi (cocolosia yam). fry for a min or two. add diluted dahi (dilute to consistency desired; we dilute it to watery consistency), haldi and blend and cook while stirring. garnish with coriander.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Imag0221

OMG, that did it for me! brought me back my appetite. here, i am sending in a truckload of blue flowers with some petals to your home. that looks absolutely delicious. i think i can eat arbi only if it is presented this way. that too with parathas? mmm...mmm... good. love ajwain. god, reminds me of omam kuzhambu. i will post the recipe in a few because i plan to make that over the weekend for my esteemed guests who arrive on friday...

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:24 am

Rekz wrote:Im having dosa burger...sorry no pic

what? how does dosai double up as a burger? you put it in between bread and have it with mustard and ketchup with a side of sambaar? aiyoooo....raama. its too early in the morning.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:26 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Sadly, I dislike arbi and I dislike ajwain. Anyway, I'm in food coma second day running. My lunch today was from coastal Karnataka:

Crab soup

Pan-fried pomfret

Mutton sukka

Neer dosa

i want some neer dosai right this second, beer optional. kinda tasted some beer that i finally liked....

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:28 am

what is neer dosai?
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:36 am

i just had bread upma and tea for my evening snack.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:39 am

.|Sublime|. wrote: MD, you ate 4 types of meat in one meal! you are talking about food coma...

Yes. And yesterday, I went into food coma on 3 types of meat in one meal.

.|Sublime|. wrote:so I can plan on getting you some mosambis and curd rice.

Yuck, who eats mosambis with curd rice?? And why would you even want to feed someone who's already in food coma?

.|Sublime|. wrote:are you a food critic? do you get invited by chefs to sample their new menus?

Nope. I believe in doing my bit for the economy and benefit local businesses through personal consumption. Yesterday's lunch was paid for by me. Today's lunch was courtesy someone else's corporate account.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:42 am

Rekz wrote:what is neer dosai?

Lady, pleej to note: it's dosa. Not dosai. Happily, neer dosa remains a coastal Karnataka specialty -the Thamizhars are yet to even learn about it, leave alone misappropriate it.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 3238460037_4d8636849a
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:44 am

let's file this under Sri Lanka

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Img_1611

the 'chef' preparing kothu roti

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Img_1910

vegetarian kothu roti - supposedly one serving but enough to feed 4

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Img_2110

breakfast - string hoppers, dhal curry, potato coconut curry, coconut sambal (pol sambal)

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Img_2310

King coconut - delicious

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Img_1610

Hoppers
with chili sambal (i tasted and smelt fish in it even though they said
it was veg). this was probably the only dish that i did not care much
for. i would probably have liked the hoppers better with some type of
curry.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:46 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Lady, pleej to note: it's dosa. Not dosai. Happily, neer dosa remains a coastal Karnataka specialty -the Thamizhars are yet to even learn about it, leave alone misappropriate it.

neer dosa and xyz gassi, yumm!

xyz = chicken, fish, prawn etc.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:46 am

Impedimenta wrote:kinda tasted some beer that i finally liked....

Aiyoo..hope that didn't happen when you were in lawnmower country aka India. Otherwise, your stock is going to fall 700 points this instant in someone's eyes, which no amount of BN and Carnatic talk will ever redeem.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:48 am

Impedimenta wrote:OMG, that did it for me! brought me back my appetite. here, i am sending in a truckload of blue flowers with some petals to your home. that looks absolutely delicious. i think i can eat arbi only if it is presented this way. that too with parathas? mmm...mmm... good. love ajwain. god, reminds me of omam kuzhambu. i will post the recipe in a few because i plan to make that over the weekend for my esteemed guests who arrive on friday...

super! gad you liked it. yes, even i like arbi cooked this way wonly and this is one of my favourite dishes. often we eat it with hot steaming rice. yes, please post the recipe of oman kuzhambu -- i checked pics. and it looks tasty. we have never had or made a kuzhambu.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
.|Sublime|. wrote:so I can plan on getting you some mosambis and curd rice.
Yuck, who eats mosambis with curd rice??

please do not eat mosambis with rice!

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 3238460037_4d8636849a

It looks like pathiri (kerala's muslim cuisine) it's served on special occasions like ramadan with chicken curry...
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:50 am

lol, great pics. .|Sublime|. btw how did you thumbnail them? which button am i missing?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:55 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:

breakfast - string hoppers, dhal curry, potato coconut curry, coconut sambal (pol sambal)

that idiappam i'm guessing. how does it take that pinkish colour?

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:02 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:lol, great pics. .|Sublime|. btw how did you thumbnail them? which button am i missing?

thanks. there were several other meals that I forgot to take pics of Smile

you get 3 options after you have uploaded an image. one of those options is thumbnail. the other 2 are image and image url. you need to copy the link for thumbnail.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:11 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
.|Sublime|. wrote:

that idiappam i'm guessing. how does it take that pinkish colour?

yes, sri lankans tamils call it idiappam but it is more commonly known as string hoppers there. they make idiappam with white rice and red rice - hence the red color.
in india, afaik, from what I have seen in TN, they serve idiappam with korma or coconut milk.
another delicious breakfast dish I had was puttu made with red rice. not my pic - puttu that I had there was much darker in color. btw a lot of their dishes are similar to dishes you would find in kerala and TN.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Food-trail-puttu

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:24 am

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Img_1710

you could say that i lived on string hoppers all those days that I was there. the sambal is this pic is seeni sambal made of curried caramelized onions - mildly sweet and not so mildly spicy. the half moon shaped pastry is white flour idiappam wrapped around poornam (jaggery and coconut) and steamed. they were delicious. Two old ladies preparing them at the breakfast buffet were sri lankan tamils from Kandy. they were very happy when i came back for seconds of string hoppers and the poornam pastry.

the half eaten fruit on the side is dragon fruit. it doesnt taste like anything special - sort of like kiwi but with a strange after taste. i did finish that piece of fruit and I did not take another. as expected for a tropical island, the papayas were really delicious.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Img_1712

jackfruit tree - Dambulla rock cave temple compound

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:31 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Img_1710

you could say that i lived on string hoppers all those days that I was there. the sambal is this pic is seeni sambal made of curried caramelized onions - mildly sweet and not so mildly spicy. the half moon shaped pastry is white flour idiappam wrapped around poornam (jaggery and coconut) and steamed. they were delicious. Two old ladies preparing them at the breakfast buffet were sri lankan tamils from Kandy. they were very happy when i came back for seconds of string hoppers and the poornam pastry.

the half eaten fruit on the side is dragon fruit. it doesnt taste like anything special - sort of like kiwi but with a strange after taste. i did finish that piece of fruit and I did not take another. as expected for a tropical island, the papayas were really delicious.

the food in that plate looks really unappetizing. but maybe not. poor veggies

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:11 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:the food in that plate looks really unappetizing. but maybe not. poor veggies

ha ha, it does look like a maggi mish-mash though maggi can be apppetizing at times.

dinner was tahiri (rice pulao/pilaf) with raita for the wife and kids (for me dalia staple as usual).

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Imag0222

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:26 pm

Love tahiri... it's a fave dish of mine among my in-laws too, however when I could not give the background on why it is called tahiri, one of aunts-in-law concluded that tahiri means rice in.... some lingo.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:31 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:yes, sri lankans tamils call it idiappam but it is more commonly known as string hoppers there.

why, is not known as idiappam in kerala too?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:35 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Love tahiri... it's a fave dish of mine among my in-laws too, however when I could not give the background on why it is called tahiri, one of aunts-in-law concluded that tahiri means rice in.... some lingo.

more.. I learned it from my sil... the way we make it seem to be a lil diff. than yours. We usually first saute onion, then tomato and veggies, and then cook soaked rice in the same vessel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Love tahiri... it's a fave dish of mine among my in-laws too, however when I could not give the background on why it is called tahiri, one of aunts-in-law concluded that tahiri means rice in.... some lingo.

actually i was once in an argument with QB about this. she maintained that tahiri meant something different in gujarat. or perhaps she was talking of kadhi. but it turned out that she was right. i think the argument was about kadhi. i think kadhi is the equivalent of tahiri in gujarat (and sindh).

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:38 pm

that looks fine to me. but you naarthies/easties/westies and southies (everyone except gulties) dont know how to make raitha. you dont put tomatoes, greenchilies and red onions into sour curds like you;re supposed to.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:the food in that plate looks really unappetizing. but maybe not. poor veggies

ha ha, it does look like a maggi mish-mash though maggi can be apppetizing at times.

dinner was tahiri (rice pulao/pilaf) with raita for the wife and kids (for me dalia staple as usual).

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Imag0222

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

more.. I learned it from my sil... the way we make it seem to be a lil diff. than yours. We usually first saute onion, then tomato and veggies, and then cook soaked rice in the same vessel.

you can call it an iyer ongc colony and iyer htpc colony difference of cooking styles but your cooking style is despicable! it is not authentic! we don't use onions and tomatoes while sauteing. also jeera, cumin seeds, bay leaves and whole red chillis are added in temperiing. ju on my foe list now for ever.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:52 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

you can call it an iyer ongc colony and iyer htpc colony difference of cooking styles but your cooking style is despicable! it is not authentic! we don't use onions and tomatoes while sauteing. also jeera, cumin seeds, bay leaves and whole red chillis are added in temperiing. ju on my foe list now for ever.

oh ya.. forgot to add jeera (heeng), bay leaves, and whole red chillies... but that's how we do it... onion paste, tomato paste, potatoes (a must) and other veggies. Add raita later and it's a complete meal.

ewwwwrybody who has eaten this dish of mine has loved me.

edit: what you are calling tahiri is what we call the usual pulao. haldi or no haldi.

Last edited by Tracy Whitney on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:dont know how to make raitha. you dont put tomatoes, greenchilies and red onions into sour curds like you;re supposed to.

are you sober? it was in hyderabad that i relished the buttermilk-onion side dish time and again. what the heck is red onions? who added them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:02 pm

that's what he is saying that h'badis do like u r supposed to and the rest of us don't.

red onions is the onions we usually use in india...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:08 pm

oh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:16 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:you can call it an iyer ongc colony and iyer htpc colony...

that ought to be ntpc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:06 pm

While you guys are eating yummy food, mine here is a picture of a mini/almost dinner disaster.

Baked and burnt sweet potato fries, that green goop is dal made of frozen spinach which nobody would eat, back-up potato curry courtesy burnt fries, left over shrimp curry (the only thing that prevented the plate from being thrown in the garbage and ordering a pizza).

[img]What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 June_210[/img]

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:41 pm

That looks depressing indeed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:19 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:

Hoppers
with chili sambal (i tasted and smelt fish in it even though they said
it was veg). this was probably the only dish that i did not care much
for. i would probably have liked the hoppers better with some type of
curry.

It likely had shrimp paste.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:50 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
.|Sublime|. wrote:yes, sri lankans tamils call it idiappam but it is more commonly known as string hoppers there.

misread you last night. you never suggested it isn't. too much misreading.

also, in that maggi pic of yours (that props calls unappetizing), those white and pink papads on the right are shrimp flavoured papads. Wink right?

welcome back blabberwock.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:00 am

blabberwock wrote:That looks depressing indeed.

i second that. thank god i wasn't sharing tiffin with her yesterday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:09 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

misread you last night. you never suggested it isn't. too much misreading.

also, in that maggi pic of yours (that props calls unappetizing), those white and pink papads on the right are shrimp flavoured papads. Wink right?

welcome back blabberwock.

What pink/white papad? All I see is a slice of dragon fruit. (which are nothing like kiwi fruit, in my view).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:16 am

oops. never had dragonfruit, lol. we do get shrimp papads here that have the same colouring.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:13 am

blabberwock wrote:a slice of dragon fruit. (which are nothing like kiwi fruit, in my view).

then what do they taste like? c'mon c'mon you have a lot of chatting up to do in recompense for your 2 months absence. btw, sara boji informs us that crickets taste like a cross between prawns and almonds. i think i could eat and relish crickets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:30 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
blabberwock wrote:a slice of dragon fruit. (which are nothing like kiwi fruit, in my view).

then what do they taste like? c'mon c'mon you have a lot of chatting up to do in recompense for your 2 months absence. btw, sara boji informs us that crickets taste like a cross between prawns and almonds. i think i could eat and relish crickets.

Dragon Fruits have no real taste - they have a lot more small black seeds than a kiwi fruit (reminds me of a poppy seed cake) and are mildly sweet or rather bland. For a fruit with such an exotic name and colourful looks, it tastes quite bland.

I am a bit jaded to post and but will get recharged soon enough.

Oh, talking of Sara Boji - I was reminded of him when I saw this very enlightening programme on Indian TV (Fox History/Travel channel, I think) on the man who is the world champion in the fine sport of getting kicked on the groin.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4730701/Paul-Merton-in-India-Have-I-got-phews-for-you.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:42 am

LOLLLLLLL.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4730701/Paul-Merton-in-India-Have-I-got-phews-for-you.html wrote:Merton meets BB Nayak, a Mumbai man with a rather bizarre urge: to set a
new world record for the number of times he is kicked in the groin
within one minute - it's 42, in case you're wondering....

a Bangalore prison where the food is reputedly so tasty that inmates in
other jails go on hunger strike so they can be transferred there.

india, still the land of fakirs and snake charmers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:13 am

dragon fruit reminded me of prawn flavoured rice papads, so i got them today (also i had a point to prove -- namely that i am not mad). i had forgotten about these papads. very tasty.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Imag0310

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:dragon fruit reminded me of prawn flavoured rice papads, so i got them today (also i had a point to prove -- namely that i am not mad). i had forgotten about these papads. very tasty.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 7 Imag0310

Oh yeah, am familiar with these shrimp/prawn crackers that misleadingly look like jawwarisi vadam (sago fryums).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next