On Garage sale Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On Garage sale

3 posters

Go down

On Garage sale Empty On Garage sale

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:33 pm

..After many years I went garage saleing today. The little suburb had a "town garage sale" With a couple of things in mind went around with my usual curiosity to see how americans "live" these days. One can guess the profession of the house owners, their taste, interests, etc...just by observing the items. so, I did not get what I was looking for. Found several items that I was interested but passed them reluctantly. I got the following:

a halogen table lamp - $2 bargained down to $1

A luggage trolly/carrier - a unique folding style that I have never seen, folds to 6" umbrella style" - $1 bargained down to 50 cents.

A quick reference card on Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics (exactly what it said at its top) - FREE

Satisfied that my morning has been spent usefully.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

On Garage sale Empty Re: On Garage sale

Post by Kris Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:36 pm

I have been looking for patio furniture and am tempted to scour the neighborhood garage sales before plunking down the money at costco

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:58 pm

One guy even had an Old Ford Tractor with all farm impliments - asking price around $1600. lots of golf clubs, and one american boy asked me if i had seen any "weights" in any of the houses, and I (as usual) gave my advice, tips, and direction.

I loved a back pack - with heavy duty zippers. I have never seen one like that and it will last a kid entire school years. Asked $5 I offered $3. The woman came down to $4.50, and I said no and walked away (at this point it is one of ego).

Saw several telescopes, real mechanic power tools, a car luggage top for $75 etc...

Usually, you can ALWAYS get some furniture - some are well maintained.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:38 pm

i am seriously thinking about it.It is not just the price. some of the older folks have classier furniture. I need to scout in places where there are older homes.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:..
a halogen table lamp - $2 bargained down to $1

A luggage trolly/carrier - a unique folding style that I have never seen, folds to 6" umbrella style" - $1 bargained down to 50 cents.

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Kris wrote:i am seriously thinking about it.It is not just the price. some of the older folks have classier furniture. I need to scout in places where there are older homes.
We once did this, and are very happy with the results. An old couple were moving to Florida for their retirement, and had full set of side tables, corner tables and a mantlepiece all of them passed down three generations in the lady's family. They put them up on Craigslist. We bought them and have been very happy with them. (We got ours in San Mateo when we were living the city -- I'd look on CL around the easy bay hills.)
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks. Will check it out. Besides the patio dining set, I am also looking for a couple of benches (ideally weathered stone to go with the fountain for the old world feel. These things are expensive. My wife would also prefer the outdoor barbecue set which is usually reasonably priced at lowes. So, I think I will go with that on the bbq stuff.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down