[rishi] Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rishi]

2 posters

Go down

[rishi] Empty [rishi]

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 11, 2013 7:43 pm

you might enjoy these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOx8LRyr8mU

IMO herb gross is one of the most outstanding lecturers in mathematics. i put him on par with prof balakrishnan in his effectivness as a teacher. and he did it all in the era when all the tools he had at his disposal were chalks and blackboards! i plan to watch this series on complex analysis over the summer a bit by bit. he also has a complete set of calculus lectures. he did this 40 years ago, and thanks to advances in cancer treatment is still answering questions on youtube!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

[rishi] Empty Re: [rishi]

Post by Rishi Sat May 11, 2013 7:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:you might enjoy these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOx8LRyr8mU

IMO herb gross is one of the most outstanding lecturers in mathematics. i put him on par with prof balakrishnan in his effectivness as a teacher. and he did it all in the era when all the tools he had at his disposal were chalks and blackboards! i plan to watch this series on complex analysis over the summer a bit by bit. he also has a complete set of calculus lectures. he did this 40 years ago, and thanks to advances in cancer treatment is still answering questions on youtube!

Even before you posted this message, I was watching his video of his lecture 21: definite integral.

I really enjoy watching his lectures. So clear. He is really fantastic.

In this lecture, he was talking about the method of exhaustion for finding areas. He has a good sense of humour. "I do not mean that you will get exhausted by watching this lecture."

I am really happy to know that he is still there.

One more person who is good is Dr. Richard Deleware of UMKC.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat May 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Btw did you notice one thing?

Mr. Herb Gross does not have a Ph.D

But he is far better teacher than many teachers who have a Ph.D in Mathematics.

He taught at Bunker Hill community college before he started working as a lecturer at MIT.

I guess you can find good teachers in community colleges also.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat May 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Max,

Thank you very much for telling me about Herb Gross on Youtube.

So far I was not aware that there are videos of his lectures available on topics beyond Calculus 1.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 11, 2013 8:36 pm

you are welcome. i view the phd only as a means to an end. it means nothing else beyond that to me. one of my later mentors when i worked in industry for a few years was a nuclear engineer. he was my boss's boss and did not study formally beyond a bachelor's degree, but the guy's physical insights were so deep. we thoroughly enjoyed working together and each other's company during lunch.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat May 11, 2013 8:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:you are welcome. i view the phd only as a means to an end. it means nothing else beyond that to me. one of my later mentors when i worked in industry for a few years was a nuclear engineer. he was my boss's boss and did not study formally beyond a bachelor's degree, but the guy's physical insights were so deep. we thoroughly enjoyed working together and each other's company during lunch.

and i know you always get curious about people's antecedents. he is a diminutive soda-butti wearing white guy who sounds like he has never left brooklyn; a proper noo-yorker.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down