[Kris] Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Kris]

5 posters

Go down

[Kris] Empty [Kris]

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:09 pm

What is your opinion on this article:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1140101/jsp/opinion/story_17737331.jsp

Back to top Go down

[Kris] Empty Re: [Kris]

Post by Kris Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Rashmun wrote:What is your opinion on this article:

>>> I glanced through the article. The post- 9/11 vulnerability of US missions abroad could and would have been a justifiable basis to provide this road closure and probably was okay even with the Swedes and the French at that time. As to whether that is still necessary depends on the current situation with respect to potential vulnerability. Personally, I don't think that this is the time to let this guard down. In this sense, the US shot itself in the foot with the DK affair. The author's claim notwithstanding, I think the opening up of the road is at least partly in retaliation to this and maybe to the actions around the India Mission in DC. I can see India being ticked off at the actions around the mission in DC, but I don't think much thought went into it on the American side (maybe that is worse in the sense that that smacks of arrogance). The DK affair has proved to be a setback for both sides. As I have said before, if it had been under the radar with DK being found guilty and declared persona non grata in the US, that would have been the end of the story with no broader implications. I don't think Bharara would have gone after her if he didn't have solid evidence. The weak link here was the media involvement and the strip search of a diplomat (to which India rightly took offense). She pretty much got a free pass because of that and it is going to be a long while before things get back on track. That is an expensive proposition for the US and in a sense, for India as well. I think India is more mature now to see this compared to the reflexive anti-US posture of the past. By the way, in terms of diplomatic rights, it is of course justifiable to consider reciprocity as one of the factors, as long as we are on guard for the pissing contest types at every turn.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:What is your opinion on this article:

>>> I glanced through the article. The post- 9/11 vulnerability of US missions abroad could and would have been a justifiable basis to provide this road closure and probably was okay even with the Swedes and the French at that time. As to whether that is still necessary depends on the current situation with respect to potential vulnerability. Personally, I don't think that this is the time to let this guard down. In this sense, the US shot itself in the foot with the DK affair. The author's claim notwithstanding, I think the opening up of the road is at least partly in retaliation to this and maybe to the actions around the India Mission in DC. I can see India being ticked off at the actions around the mission in DC, but I don't think much thought went into it on the American side (maybe that is worse in the sense that that smacks of arrogance). The DK affair has proved to be a setback for both sides. As I have said before, if it had been under the radar with DK being found guilty and declared persona non grata in the US, that would have been the end of the story with no broader implications. I don't think Bharara would have gone after her if he didn't have solid evidence. The weak link here was the media involvement and the strip search of a diplomat (to which India rightly took offense). She pretty much got a free pass because of that and it is going to be a long while before things get back on track. That is an expensive proposition for the US and in a sense, for India as well. I think India is more mature now to see this compared to the reflexive anti-US posture of the past. By the way, in terms of diplomatic rights, it is of course justifiable to consider reciprocity as one of the factors, as long as we are on guard for the pissing contest types at every turn.

thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:05 pm

From what I gather India actually upped security guards after removing those barricades a couple of weeks ago.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 pm

India looks like a immature stupid child in the eyes of other countries.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 pm

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Devyani-Khobragade-case-Top-US-leadership-feels-diplomat-row-most-stupid-thing-to-do/articleshow/28670392.cms

---

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:53 pm

Rashmun wrote:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Devyani-Khobragade-case-Top-US-leadership-feels-diplomat-row-most-stupid-thing-to-do/articleshow/28670392.cms

---

>>>I read this article. I am sure there were guys at State who were ticked off at how this thing unfolded. As I said before, this is a classic case of the blind men and the elephant, with Ms. K's own doings becoming peripheral amidst all this brouhaha. I am sure this will become a major case study in International Relations classes on how things can go drastically wrong.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:18 pm

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

---

>>>I read this article. I am sure there were guys at State who were ticked off at how this thing unfolded. As I said before, this is a classic case of the blind men and the elephant, with Ms. K's own doings becoming peripheral amidst all this brouhaha. I am sure this will become a major case study in International Relations classes on how things can go drastically wrong.
I gather human trafficking charges were dropped from final indictment. If they were earlier, wonder why DK's husband who was living in the same place wasn't arrested. Why this voluntary servitude, Mr. Bharara?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

---

Kris, how do you assess this article:

http://www.newindianexpress.com/prabhu_chawla/columns/US-Must-Realise-that-India-Can-be-a-Friend-Only-as-an-Equal-and-Not-as-a-Follower/2014/01/12/article1995409.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

---

http://www.newindianexpress.com/prabhu_chawla/columns/US-Must-Realise-that-India-Can-be-a-Friend-Only-as-an-Equal-and-Not-as-a-Follower/2014/01/12/article1995409.ece

i only read the first para, but got the gist of the usual indian media BS. it is very easy to turn that around and say, the indian media puts national pride first and pays no heed at all to this woman's corruption both in the US and long before she set foot in the US. she has been implicated in the adarsh scheme which the media has chosen to blissfully ignore in the broader discussion of her corruption.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

---

i only read the first para, but got the gist of the usual indian media BS. it is very easy to turn that around and say, the indian media puts national pride first and pays no heed at all to this woman's corruption both in the US and long before she set foot in the US. she has been implicated in the adarsh scheme which the media has chosen to blissfully ignore in the broader discussion of her corruption.

Yet India has been magnanimous towards America. But the way they treated Devyani proves beyond any doubt that US policymakers are uncomfortable with India’s rise as an economic and military super power, which could challenge their supremacy one day. They have perhaps forgotten former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi who always showed them their place, whether it was over China or Pakistan.

>>>Absolutely.

Indira Gandhi stood up to Nixon.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

There is no denying about corruption in India, Indian media did bring up Adarsh scam issue which I thought was rather untimely. Anyway, did you read the article that I posted earlier.  see what happens when the shoe is on the other foot. American couple committed much worse crimes than DK, pretty much destroyed that girls life still gotten away with slap on the wrist and I don't see any outcry from American media.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

---

>>>> Interesting response.

Now the reader responses seem to have shifted from US bashing to NRI bashing. Jealousy ? Let us as Indians get our act straight first. None of this would have happened had India reacted appropriately the very first time something like this occurred and also did not give special privileges etc. You act as a slave, you don't deserve to be treated any other way.

Posted by V. Ramaswami at 01/12/2014 14:50

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:58 pm

confuzzled dude wrote: Anyway, did you read the article that I posted earlier.  see what happens when the shoe is on the other foot. American couple committed much worse crimes than DK, pretty much destroyed that girls life still gotten away with slap on the wrist and I don't see any outcry from American media.

yes i did read it. they were tried in a court of law, found guilty, and are paying the restitution the court decided the woman deserves. the boston globe reported it. what's the problem? if you are asking why they were not arrested and strip searched, well the prosecuting attorney in this case was not preet bharara. i never said he is a saint.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote: Anyway, did you read the article that I posted earlier.  see what happens when the shoe is on the other foot. American couple committed much worse crimes than DK, pretty much destroyed that girls life still gotten away with slap on the wrist and I don't see any outcry from American media.

yes i did read it. they were tried in a court of law, found guilty, and are paying the restitution the court decided the woman deserves. the boston globe reported it. what's the problem? if you are asking why they were not arrested and strip searched, well the prosecuting attorney in this case was not preet bharara. i never said he is a saint.
My post, partially was in response to a) constant criticism of Indian judicial system b) comments like how corrupt DK's background was.

If she was perpetrator in Adarsh Scam, probably was victim in NY incident. We should separate those two issues and not confuse one issue with another. While US justice system fares much better than India's it is nowhere near perfect (I know you won't argue with that). Just as political/rich class in India gets away with slap on the wrist certain classes in US do too, for e.g. If you’re white, that joint probably won’t lead to jail time

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:50 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

My post, partially was in response to a) constant criticism of Indian judicial system b) comments like how corrupt DK's background was.

If she was perpetrator in Adarsh Scam, probably was victim in NY incident. We should separate those two issues and not confuse one issue with another. While US justice system fares much better than India's it is nowhere near perfect (I know you won't argue with that). Just as political/rich class in India gets away with slap on the wrist certain classes in US do too, for e.g. If you’re white, that joint probably won’t lead to jail time
>>>We need to be careful here. There is likely a discrepancy between the sentences for whites as compared to blacks and Hispanics. Asians (Indians included) are very likely not victims of this differential treatment. In DK's case, she most likely will get away in India or at best with a slap on the wrist for Adarsh,as is the case with politically connected people. She certainly got a free pass in the US solely because of this diplomatic row. If Bharara had gone about this quietly behind the scenes, she (or the GOI) would at least had to cough up some money, but of course she has got away now without this ever getting vetted out.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:41 pm

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

>>>We need to be careful here. There is likely a discrepancy between the sentences for whites as compared to blacks and Hispanics. Asians (Indians included) are very likely not victims of this differential treatment. In DK's case, she most likely will get away in India or at best with a slap on the wrist for Adarsh,as is the case with politically connected people. She certainly got a free pass in the US solely because of this diplomatic row. If Bharara had gone about this quietly behind the scenes, she (or the GOI) would at least had to cough up some money, but of course she has got away now without this ever getting vetted out.

Excluding Middle Easterners :)jokes aside, I agree with your statement.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:50 am

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/Waynes-world-Was-expelled-US-official-a-bleeding-heart-or-an-ugly-American/articleshow/28719329.cms

The above article needs to be read in conjunction with the following:

http://racistdiplomatsusa.tumblr.com/

---
i have come across many many good americans who i know are not racist so i was disappointed to to read the articles at the links i provide. This kind of behavior sends a very wrong message.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down