I think the RSS has its priorities wrong - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I think the RSS has its priorities wrong

+11
Ponniyin Selvan
MaxEntropy_Man
bw
Kayalvizhi
Idéfix
smArtha
confuzzled dude
truthbetold
Hellsangel
goodcitizn
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

I think the RSS has its priorities wrong - Page 2 Empty Re: I think the RSS has its priorities wrong

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:39 am

smArtha wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
And if you really believe that this "Hindi only memo" is a step towards a multi-lingual friendly India, you are naive.

Before we go any further - show me the 'Hindi only memo' or the relevant text online. So far none on this and the other relevant thread did so. What I saw was the 'Hindi also' reports and not any 'Hindi only' diktat. And the  'Hindi only' line encountered had the qualifier very clear that it is meant for responses to requests made in Hindi. If you have any communique indicating 'Hindi only at all times' then I'll switch sides on this debate.
Here is a message from the Department of Official Language of the Ministry of Home Affairs.

I think the RSS has its priorities wrong - Page 2 Bqf2BzFCEAAJFia

The key sentence is the last one in paragraph 2:

... adhikArik khAtOn mEn rAjbhAshA hindI athavA angrEjI aur hindI dOnOn ka dwibhAshI rUp mEn prayOg kiyA jAyE, jismE hindI kO Upar / pehlE rakhA jAyE.

... on official [social media] accounts, either Hindi, or English and Hindi both in bilingual fashion with Hindi before / above English, shall be used.

In other words, the order directs employees to use either Hindi only, or Hindi and English. This is not bilingualism.

As always, I cannot see images or other attachments on this site (when logged in from work) to verify if there was any context to the Hindi only reference. But taking your verbatim quote at its face value, the only issue I have in it is - Hindi Only as even an option. Hindi only or English only cannot be options that the Government - Ministers, Secretaries or Officials choose. By Constitution, Government has to be Bilingual which to me means Hindi AND English. A Bilingual State (or for that matter any Service Provider) needs to engage in both languages - in this case Hindi & English (choice, if any, should be purely driven by the consumer and not made by the provider). I have no issues with the recommendation - Hindi on the top followed by English, though I find it very silly. They should just have two versions of every notice, communication or order - English and Hindi one. Why mix it up in the same one making it difficult to read?

It's too bad you are unable to see the attachment at work. What is disturbing is the choice given here: Use Hindi only, or use Hindi and English (prioritizing Hindi). So if the message to the social media (twitter, fb, youtube etc) is in Hindi only, it is acceptable according to MHA's decree athough it is in direct conflict with the provision in the Indian constitution that requires English for non-Hindi regions.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

I think the RSS has its priorities wrong - Page 2 Empty Re: I think the RSS has its priorities wrong

Post by smArtha Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:45 am

goodcitizn wrote:
It's too bad you are unable to see the attachment at work. What is disturbing is the choice given here: Use Hindi only, or use Hindi and English (prioritizing Hindi). So if the message to the social media (twitter, fb, youtube etc) is in Hindi only, it is acceptable according to MHA's decree athough it is in direct conflict with the provision in the Indian constitution that requires English for non-Hindi regions.

Whatever was in that attachment - below clarification asserts the Hindi AND English usage

Here is the full release from the Prime Minister's Office on the government's directive:

Use of Hindi on Government of India's social media platforms is only for Hindi Speaking States
The attention of the Government has been drawn to the concerns expressed about instructions imposing the use of Hindi in non Hindi speaking States.
The Department of Official Languages, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India had issued a circular on 10th March, 2014 stating that in keeping with the existing policy of the Government regarding use of Hindi, Government of India communication in 'A' category States i.e. Hindi speaking States must give equal importance to the use of Hindi in its social media platforms. The instructions reiterated that both English and Hindi must be used on official Twitter, Facebook, blogs etc by the Government of India.
It is clarified that these instructions of the Department of Official Languages dated 10th March, 2014 do not seek to impose communication in Hindi on States which are not Hindi speaking. The instructions of Department of Official Languages have only reiterated the existing Government of India's policy on the use of Hindi in which the use of Hindi is compulsory in Government's communication only in the Hindi speaking States.
The Ministry of Home Affairs in its circular dated 27.05.2014 has communicated the above guidelines of the Department of Official Languages with regard to the social media to the departments under the Ministry of Home Affairs. Therefore, this is neither a new policy nor an attempt to impose the use of Hindi on any non Hindi speaking State

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:52 am

smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Whatever was in that attachment - below clarification asserts the Hindi AND English usage

Here is the full release from the Prime Minister's Office on the government's directive:

Use of Hindi on Government of India's social media platforms is only for Hindi Speaking States
The attention of the Government has been drawn to the concerns expressed about instructions imposing the use of Hindi in non Hindi speaking States.
The Department of Official Languages, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India had issued a circular on 10th March, 2014 stating that in keeping with the existing policy of the Government regarding use of Hindi, Government of India communication in 'A' category States i.e. Hindi speaking States must give equal importance to the use of Hindi in its social media platforms. The instructions reiterated that both English and Hindi must be used on official Twitter, Facebook, blogs etc by the Government of India.
It is clarified that these instructions of the Department of Official Languages dated 10th March, 2014 do not seek to impose communication in Hindi on States which are not Hindi speaking. The instructions of Department of Official Languages have only reiterated the existing Government of India's policy on the use of Hindi in which the use of Hindi is compulsory in Government's communication only in the Hindi speaking States.
The Ministry of Home Affairs in its circular dated 27.05.2014 has communicated the above guidelines of the Department of Official Languages with regard to the social media to the departments under the Ministry of Home Affairs. Therefore, this is neither a new policy nor an attempt to impose the use of Hindi on any non Hindi speaking State

When was this release? Modi must realize the backlash he is bound to face forcing Hindi in non Hindi-speaking states. I have one question though. "Don't the Hindi-speaking states ever want to learn English?"

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:53 am

smArtha wrote: The instructions reiterated that both English and Hindi must be used on official Twitter, Facebook, blogs etc by the Government of India.[/size]
[size=14][b

Whay is Modi still tweeting in English?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:56 am

smArtha wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
And if you really believe that this "Hindi only memo" is a step towards a multi-lingual friendly India, you are naive.

Before we go any further - show me the 'Hindi only memo' or the relevant text online. So far none on this and the other relevant thread did so. What I saw was the 'Hindi also' reports and not any 'Hindi only' diktat. And the  'Hindi only' line encountered had the qualifier very clear that it is meant for responses to requests made in Hindi. If you have any communique indicating 'Hindi only at all times' then I'll switch sides on this debate.
Here is a message from the Department of Official Language of the Ministry of Home Affairs.

I think the RSS has its priorities wrong - Page 2 Bqf2BzFCEAAJFia

The key sentence is the last one in paragraph 2:

... adhikArik khAtOn mEn rAjbhAshA hindI athavA angrEjI aur hindI dOnOn ka dwibhAshI rUp mEn prayOg kiyA jAyE, jismE hindI kO Upar / pehlE rakhA jAyE.

... on official [social media] accounts, either Hindi, or English and Hindi both in bilingual fashion with Hindi before / above English, shall be used.

In other words, the order directs employees to use either Hindi only, or Hindi and English. This is not bilingualism.

As always, I cannot see images or other attachments on this site (when logged in from work) to verify if there was any context to the Hindi only reference. But taking your verbatim quote at its face value, the only issue I have in it is - Hindi Only as even an option. Hindi only or English only cannot be options that the Government - Ministers, Secretaries or Officials choose. By Constitution, Government has to be Bilingual which to me means Hindi AND English. A Bilingual State (or for that matter any Service Provider) needs to engage in both languages - in this case Hindi & English (choice, if any, should be purely driven by the consumer and not made by the provider). I have no issues with the recommendation - Hindi on the top followed by English, though I find it very silly. They should just have two versions of every notice, communication or order - English and Hindi one. Why mix it up in the same one making it difficult to read?
Why not have two separate twitter accounts, one for English tweets and another for Hindi tweets? For instance, @HMOIndia for the MHA in English, and @गृहमन्त्रालय in Hindi. That would allow people to follow the source in the language they prefer. This order just forces people to switch to Hindi, or post in Hindi and English in that order.

When you see the image, you will notice that there is no context that limits this order to specific situations. It talks about official posts on all social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, Google, blogs and Youtube, etc. coming out of all ministries, departments, related offices, subordinate offices, public sector undertakings, government-owned corporations, and banks, and applies to both officers and employees.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:00 am

smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

The PMO is lying now. Because the original circular was written in Hindi, they are attempting to use the lack of Hindi knowledge of non-Hindians to pass of blatant lies as truth. I will provide the entire order and its word-for-word translation in a little bit. The original order was very clear that it applies to all offices of the Government of India, not just to Hindi-speaking states. It also directs the use of either Hindi, or Hindi and English both. This lie from the PMO is similar to the lie they have peddled about Hindi being rAshtrabhAshA.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:17 am

Idéfix wrote:
smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

The PMO is lying now. Because the original circular was written in Hindi, they are attempting to use the lack of Hindi knowledge of non-Hindians to pass of blatant lies as truth. I will provide the entire order and its word-for-word translation in a little bit. The original order was very clear that it applies to all offices of the Government of India, not just to Hindi-speaking states. It also directs the use of either Hindi, or Hindi and English both. This lie from the PMO is similar to the lie they have peddled about Hindi being rAshtrabhAshA.

Didn't that doc attached refer Hindi as rashtrabhasha; is thar what you are referring to ?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:19 am

Idéfix wrote:
smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

This is very upsetting particularly since the PMO in the new government is just getting started. Their credibility will be shot if the translation from the original Hindi version (which I am eager to see from you) is publicly made available.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:24 am

Idefix
pmo came up with a clarification that obviously overrides any other circular. the people who earlier expressed concern about Hindi imposition got clarity or relief. assuming you are right , pmo now clearly stated who and where this memo is applicable.
you are more interested in hanging mod govt by any rope available than acknowledging pmo clarified to suggest a way forward.
Is this clarification any worse than bengazi cia talking points?
max declared modi was a dictator. you have labeled a normal political correction as pmo lies?
Logical evaluation is only good to protect one's own side.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:30 am

truthbetold wrote:Idefix
pmo came up with a clarification that obviously overrides any other circular. the people who earlier expressed concern about Hindi imposition got clarity or relief. assuming you are right , pmo now clearly stated who and where this memo is applicable.
you are more interested in hanging mod govt by any rope available than acknowledging pmo clarified to suggest a way forward.
max declared modi was a dictator. you have labeled a normal political correction as pmo lies?
The PMO could have said that the order was wrong, and won't be enforced outside of Hindi states. That is not the PMO said. The PMO tried to portray the original order as something other than what it was. That is why it is a lie.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:37 am

Idéfix wrote:
The PMO could have said that the order was wrong, and won't be enforced outside of Hindi states. That is not the PMO said. The PMO tried to portray the original order as something other than what it was. That is why it is a lie.
Are you implying that Modi is becoming a CONartist?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Did i ever see obama admin agree that they were covering up bengazi?
pmo clarified. if you want to nitpick go ahead. but don't stop at your opponents statements.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:18 pm

Idéfix wrote:

I agree... they lied.

But in administrative parlance there is no such thing as lies. It is always "clarifications"

The proof is in the pudding. The babus will not be studying Hindi in the evening and spending all day to draft a single letter in hindi - if these orders..er...circulars... are so so innocuous.

Modi ji:... stop, count 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, 3. mississippi, then look to your right and then left and then proceed carefully.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:45 pm

Here is the full translation:

Official Notice

Subject: Use of Social Media by Government of India - Mandatory Use of Official Language Hindi

1. The Department of Official Language of the Ministry of Home Affairs has observed that officers and employees various ministries, departments, related offices, subordinate offices, public sector undertakings, government-owned corporations, and banks are using English in their official social media accounts on platforms like Twitter, Facebook, blogs, Google, Youtube, etc., ignoring the requirement to use Hindi as an official language.

2. In view of the official language policy of the Government of India, the Department of Official Language published an internal memo on March 10, 2014, numbered number 012019/03/2014-DOL (attached with translation). This is an order to all ministries, departments, related offices, subordinate offices, public sector undertakings, corporations, and banks that: on social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, blogs, Google, Youtube, etc. with official accounts used by officers and employees, either Hindi, or English and Hindi both in bilingual fashion with Hindi before / above English, shall be used.

3. Therefore please make this order known to all so that this order may be obeyed. This order shall be implemented in action by all employees working in Category K [Hindi-speaking] states.

Avadhesh Kumar Mi[shra?]
Director, Official Language

Distribution:
1. All departments, divisions, and desks within the Ministry of Home Affairs
2. All offices affiliated to or subordinate to the Ministry of Home Affairs
3. All union, state and union territory governments.

It looks like DOL published the internal memo in March before this government came to power, and the Home Ministry turned it into an order now. In the order, it is clear that the applicability is not restricted to the Category K states. If the new government thought the internal memo was wrong -- i.e. not applicable outside the Hindi states -- then it would have been politically very easy for them to disown it. But they have not done that; instead they have used it to issue this order.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:50 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Didn't that doc attached refer Hindi as rashtrabhasha; is thar what you are referring to ?
No, the order I posted a picture of consistently refers to Hindi as Official Language (राज्भाषा, rAjabhAshA). What I meant is that for decades now, the government has actively propagated the lie that Hindi is the National Language (राष्ट्र्भाषा, rAshTrabhAshA). Even in this order, they are not explicit about enforcing this order only in the Hindi states. Instead, they issue an order for all departments, etc. and then add a line at the end about Hindi states. This gives leeway to Hindi fanatics to push their agenda in other areas as well.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:51 pm

I just finished watching the language debate on Times Now conducted by Arnab Goswami. It was pathetic to see Kiren Rijiju, the Minister of State for Home Affairs, make excuses after excuses over the circular sent. Ironically India's Home Minister, Rajnath Singh, had distanced himself from the controversy by saying that he is for all languages of India and the circular didn't come from him.

Rijiju said that the circular was drafted back in March by UPA so BJP shouldn't be blamed. Upon questioned on his circular dated May 27th his comment was he didn't know he was to be the MOS then so technically he had no authority since he took the office only on May 29th. Funnily enough when Arnab asked him point blank that the March circular didn't have anything to do with the social media, he admitted that he just added them but was not endorsing the policy of Hindi only.

When the other panel members from Congress, SP, NC, DMK etc started accusing him of not taking ownership to what he did but instead resorted to blaming UPA, he didn't have much to say except that he was committed to promoting all the languages of India, but Hindi being spoken by the majority, he was starting with it.

Immediately Arnab corrected him by saying that the Hindi speakers at best represented 45% of the population, so the majority of Indians were non Hindi speakers. The guy couldn't respond intelligently thereafter but repeated the same old blah blah that Modi and BJP were behind all the people of India, not just the Hindi speakers, and that the media is to blame for making this into a controversy.

It is no wonder that the government is making a U turn on this. I can't see the wisdom of having such a buffoon for a minister, let alone the MOS of Home Affairs.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:54 pm

I am glad non-Hindi-speaking Indians have come out strongly against this move, and the government has had to explain and justify its actions. Hopefully Modi will learn to back away from this madness and focus on the real issues that confront India.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:08 pm

Idéfix wrote:Here is the full translation:

3. Therefore please make this order known to all so that this order may be obeyed. This order shall be implemented in action by all employees working in Category K [Hindi-speaking] states.

What does this mean? That it is just an FYI for the employees working in non K category(non-Hindi) states and no action is expected of them?

U-turn or Clarification, it is good that they seem to have got it right after all the backlash. It is very opportunistic of Rajnath to be distancing himself from the order by an MoS of his own Ministry. Even if that was a gaffe and not the original intent, this incident should teach them how to be careful about what they put out while treading such controversial areas.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Idéfix wrote:I am glad non-Hindi-speaking Indians have come out strongly against this move, and the government has had to explain and justify its actions. Hopefully Modi will learn to back away from this madness and focus on the real issues that confront India.

Bilingual governance is indeed a right step in making Governance more native and accessible. Taking it up with an aim to secure narrow political gains is what creates such situations.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:15 pm

smArtha wrote:

What does this mean? That it is just an FYI for the employees working in non K category(non-Hindi) states and no action is expected of them?

U-turn or Clarification, it is good that they seem to have got it right after all the backlash. It is very opportunistic of Rajnath to be distancing himself from the order by an MoS of his own Ministry. Even if that was a gaffe and not the original intent, this incident should teach them how to be careful about what they put out while treading such controversial areas.

Amen to that.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:16 pm

smArtha wrote:

Amen to that.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:19 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rijiju said that the circular was drafted back in March by UPA so BJP shouldn't be blamed. Upon questioned on his circular dated May 27th his comment was he didn't know he was to be the MOS then so technically he had no authority since he took the office only on May 29th. Funnily enough when Arnab asked him point blank that the March circular didn't have anything to do with the social media, he admitted that he just added them but was not endorsing the policy of Hindi only.

That should explain why, despite such an order, the PM himself continues to tweet in English. This MoS seems to be too eager to earn brownie points from his political and ideological bosses.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:19 pm

Idéfix wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Didn't that doc attached refer Hindi as rashtrabhasha; is thar what you are referring to ?
No, the order I posted a picture of consistently refers to Hindi as Official Language (राज्भाषा, rAjabhAshA). What I meant is that for decades now, the government has actively propagated the lie that Hindi is the National Language (राष्ट्र्भाषा, rAshTrabhAshA). Even in this order, they are not explicit about enforcing this order only in the Hindi states. Instead, they issue an order for all departments, etc. and then add a line at the end about Hindi states. This gives leeway to Hindi fanatics to push their agenda in other areas as well.
Oh ok I couldn't see the text in that doc clearly from my phone

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:25 pm

smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

That should explain why, despite such an order, the PM himself continues to tweet in English. This MoS seems to be too eager to earn brownie points from his political and ideological bosses.

SmArtha, at some point, you'll hear this Rijiju guy speak English. Then you'll understand why he wants Hindi to be the language of India. Yeah, you're right. He is a Modi sycophant.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:31 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

SmArtha, at some point, you'll hear this Rijiju guy speak English. Then you'll understand why he wants Hindi to be the language of India. Yeah, you're right. He is a Modi sycophant.

do you have link to the times now interview?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm in Bangalore now. Watched it on TV. Don't have a link.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:53 pm

smArtha wrote:

It is not an FYI. The memo says anupAlan kE liyE -- for implementation.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:33 pm

Shocked So Modiji has got nothing to do with this, it's a fault of an excited junior minister, and we are supposed to believe this theory

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:15 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Shocked So Modiji has got nothing to do with this, it's a fault of an excited junior minister, and we are supposed to believe this theory

Modi wanted his ministers to prefer Hindi in their speech and he conveyed it by following it himself. In this episode, however, he didn't switch to tweeting in Hindi and that could be an indication that this order in its full form and content didn't come directly from him. Also, according to GC's post above, the MoS himself owned up to modifying the original March 2014 Memo while drafting up this Order. Modi/Rajnath, probably, asked for an an Order to be put out as per that Memo from March and the MoS tried his own Hanuman giri to display Swami Bhakti.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:08 pm

That sounds about right. The problem with fanatics is that if you give them an inch they go for a mile.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:19 pm

smArtha wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Shocked So Modiji has got nothing to do with this, it's a fault of an excited junior minister, and we are supposed to believe this theory

Modi wanted his ministers to prefer Hindi in their speech and he conveyed it by following it himself. In this episode, however, he didn't switch to tweeting in Hindi and that could be an indication that this order in its full form and content didn't come directly from him. Also, according to GC's post above, the MoS himself owned up to modifying the original March 2014 Memo while drafting up this Order. Modi/Rajnath, probably, asked for an an Order to be put out as per that Memo from March and the MoS tried his own Hanuman giri to display Swami Bhakti.
Sounds like RSS is calling most of the shots, wonder if Modiji's role is relegated to a puppet PM.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:02 pm

Issuing Hindi imposition orders and backing cowardly under opposition dates back to previous govs.

When Congress was in power, all of a sudden dosai, sammbar, idli and other southern dishes were removed fro Southern Railways menu. Ho and crey from the south. Railway ministry put them back and issued a statement that they were doing some testing on the menu.

Why not test by removing northen dishes?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:06 pm

Idéfix wrote:That sounds about right. The problem with fanatics is that if you give them an inch they go for a mile.

Here is an excerpt from\
http://www.tamiltribune.com/07/0701.html

I also want to make another point here. Some Indian apologists may say, "Once south Indians protested, sari and idli-dosai have been brought back. So what is the problem?" The problem is this. Why are south Indians at the receiving end all the time when it comes to the Indian government? We thought Indian government represents all the peoples of this "Indian Union". South Indian food, dress, language and other cultural identities are systematically sidelined. Watched Indian government owned Doordharshan Television recently? How many programs are in Hindi and how many in other Indian languages? Why are south Indian festivals and other cultural events virtually blacked out in Doordharsan?

Why should south Indians have to be ever vigilant to make sure that southern icons like sari, idli and dosai are not eliminated? Why is Indian government keen on eliminating southern cultural symbols from everything it operates? Are South Indians Indian citizens or not?

Thanjai Nalankilli
July 13, 2007

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:00 am

Idéfix wrote:That sounds about right. The problem with fanatics is that if you give them an inch they go for a mile.

Let me put it another way. You give them an inch, and they think they are the rulers!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:04 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:Issuing Hindi imposition orders and backing cowardly under opposition dates back to previous govs.

When Congress was in power, all of a sudden dosai, sammbar, idli and other southern dishes were removed fro Southern Railways menu. Ho and crey from the south. Railway ministry put them back and issued a statement that they were doing some testing on the menu.

Why not test by removing northen dishes?

Let me see...

You are angry
You are upset
and that makes you write flawless Inglees

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:24 pm

goodcitizn wrote:I'm in Bangalore now. Watched it on TV. Don't have a link.

Is this, http://www.timesnow.tv/Debate-ModiHindiPush---1/videoshow/4457641.cms the same show ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:36 pm

>>Yep. If there is a course on governance, one of the first lessons should be on how to keep the wing-nuts at bay. These guys are driven by single point agendas and have no big picture perspective. The language obsession is a case in point. I hope this issue gets managed down and the government gets back to the business of facilitating economic advancement.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Kris wrote:

>>Yep. If there is a course on governance, one of the first lessons should be on how to keep the wing-nuts at bay. These guys are driven by single point agendas and have no big picture perspective. The language obsession is a case in point. I hope this issue gets managed down and the government gets back to the business of facilitating economic advancement.

Modi ji can always do a minimal Carpet-bombing of PakiSaitan - if things got out of hand.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:35 pm

Good for you. Dont go to Region A or B.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:11 am

b_A wrote:

Is this,  http://www.timesnow.tv/Debate-ModiHindiPush---1/videoshow/4457641.cms  the same show ?

omigawd! cacophony! it really doesn't matter what language they use on this show though it is funny that arnab breaks into hindi when addressing the very bloke who is being polloried for pushing hindi.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:45 am

bw wrote:
b_A wrote:

Is this,  http://www.timesnow.tv/Debate-ModiHindiPush---1/videoshow/4457641.cms  the same show ?

omigawd! cacophony! it really doesn't matter what language they use on this show though it is funny that arnab breaks into hindi when addressing the very bloke who is being polloried for pushing hindi.

Indian TV Panels are excellent example of how one should not talk/debate. The moderators talk and talk and talk taking 75% of the time. At any given time, there are at least 3 people shouting simultaneously - equating decibel level and talk time with winning a debate.

The govt's most important issues right now are foreign policy, budget, inflation and interest rate. All dealing with economics and security.

Where is the need to make STUPID statements on language in such a hurry on week one?

Are North Indians THAT stupid ? Just let the Southerners run the country. India will be a much better place.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:47 am

bw wrote:
b_A wrote:

pilloried...

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:54 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
bw wrote:
b_A wrote:

Indian TV Panels are excellent example of how one should not talk/debate. The moderators talk and talk and talk taking 75% of the time. At any given time, there are at least 3 people shouting simultaneously - equating decibel level and talk time with winning a debate.

The govt's most important issues right now are foreign policy, budget, inflation and interest rate. All dealing with economics and security.

Where is the need to make STUPID statements on language in such a hurry on week one?

Are North Indians THAT stupid ?  Just let the Southerners run the country. India will be a much better place.

the indian TV channel hosts, the politicians, the way they talk, all makes me feel terribly embarrassed about my country. no dignity or class in debating issues. why is this stupid language the hot topic now? 

that arnab guy makes me want to run, get a roll of scotch tape, stick it all over his mouth and shut him up forever. what a clown!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:00 am

b_A wrote:

Yes, thanks b_A. Unfortunately the discussion is truncated at the time of the commmercial break where more points were raised particularly the unconstitutionality of such a foolhardy Hindi imposition by the Home Ministry.

I wish people like Rashmun would listen to at least this portion of the debate to understand how language is a sensitive issue and the government has no business tampering with it in prioritizing and enforcing one language over the rest of the languages in India, particularly English.

sMartha is perhaps right in saying that, given the admission by Rijiju, the MoS of Home Affairs, that he added the social media into the circular, it is likely he did it to win brownie points with Modi & gang without a specific directive from Modi to do so.

In any case, this controversy has at least made BJP take a U-turn on their Hindi Only diktat. That is a welcome sign.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:01 am

goodcitizn wrote:
b_A wrote:

Yes, thanks b_A. Unfortunately the discussion is truncated at the time of the commmercial break where more points were raised particularly the unconstitutionality of such a foolhardy Hindi imposition by the Home Ministry.

I wish people like Rashmun would listen to at least this portion of the debate to understand how language is a sensitive issue and the government has no business tampering with it in prioritizing and enforcing one language over the rest of the languages in India, particularly English.

sMartha is perhaps right in saying that, given the admission by Rijiju, the MoS of Home Affairs, that he added the social media into the circular, it is likely he did it to win brownie points with Modi & gang without a specific directive from Modi to do so.

In any case, this controversy has at least made BJP take a U-turn on their Hindi Only diktat. That is a welcome sign.

there is a part 2, GC.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:07 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
b_A wrote:

there is a part 2, GC.

I didn't see that. In any case, the real clown in the debate is Rijiju. Secondly, that Kohli guy from BJP.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:14 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

This is very upsetting particularly since the PMO in the new government is just getting started. Their credibility will be shot if the translation from the original Hindi version (which I am eager to see from you) is publicly made available.
WhnngCtzn, we southern indians are  depending on you to convince narenbhai, rajnathbhai, the pmo, the rest of the government of india, the ctzns of u.p. and bihar, the rss, and the bjp with your well-reasoned arguments about freedom, fairness, justice, and credibility, that northindians mustn't "impose" hindi on us. 

they're probably hearing these arguments for the first time in 67 years, and are sure to be stunned by their sheer forcefulness and clarity. moreover, narenbhai will be concerned that all this "imposition" is upsetting to you. if anything can stop narenbhai and the northindians from aiming their boots at southern indian arse, it's your cogent arguments.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:03 am

Michelle
your description of gc's arguments actually describe Flimflam's line of reasoning. You nailed it. It is as if you are the jealous intolerant Luke.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:14 am

You people are talking about "South Indians" resisting. I do not see any Andhra, Karnataka or Kerala leader protesting. Only Tamil Nadu is resisting.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:39 am

michelle2 wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
smArtha wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

WhnngCtzn, we southern indians are  depending on you to convince narenbhai, rajnathbhai, the pmo, the rest of the government of india, the ctzns of u.p. and bihar, the rss, and the bjp with your well-reasoned arguments about freedom, fairness, justice, and credibility, that northindians mustn't "impose" hindi on us. 

they're probably hearing these arguments for the first time in 67 years, and are sure to be stunned by their sheer forcefulness and clarity. moreover, narenbhai will be concerned that all this "imposition" is upsetting to you. if anything can stop narenbhai and the northindians from aiming their boots at southern indian arse, it's your cogent arguments.
I think the RSS has its priorities wrong - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR48lpgbPmkXrCvcuYdGhigrlKfIc2t8W0ohNcVKgYZRiRb_2COjgb7T7g8

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next