India TV in USA Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

India TV in USA

Go down

India TV in USA Empty India TV in USA

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:42 am

India TV in USA: Hindi News or Indian News
Malathi

This happened in the late 1980s. Unlike today, there were no Indian satellite channels available in USA at that time. There was an over-the-air UHF channel that broadcast a one-hour Indian program on Saturday afternoons. The program consisted of Hindi movie video-clips and about 15 minutes of news. I just watch the news. There were 4 newsreaders; they rotated from week to week. From their names, I think that one was a Telugu, another a Malayali and two from Hindi states. The first two always read the news in English. In contrast, the other two from Hindi states would start reading the news in English and in the middle switch to Hindi and then back to English and then to Hindi... So people like me who do not know Hindi were left with holes in the news.
I wrote to the TV station about this. Nothing happened. After waiting for a couple of moths, I wrote to the Indian grocery store and an electronic store (selling TV, videocassette recorders (VCR)) that advertised regularly in the news segment. I complained that I and many others from non-Hindi regions do not understand parts of the news, and would stop watching it and the stores would be losing audience. They are likely to attract more audience if the news is read totally in English. I received a letter a few weeks later from the electronic store that they discussed the matter with the station and that the news would be in English in the future.

This incidence shows three things: (1) The arrogance of the two new readers from Hindi states expecting that all Indians should know Hindi. (2) If we take the initiative and act, things could change when private business is involved. (3) "If at first you don't succeed, try again."

http://www.tamiltribune.com/11/0501.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down