Keeping track of your kid's online/cell phone activity Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keeping track of your kid's online/cell phone activity

+2
bw
confuzzled dude
6 posters

Go down

Keeping track of your kid's online/cell phone activity Empty Keeping track of your kid's online/cell phone activity

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:52 pm

Good or bad idea? Looks like quite a few tools are available to monitor their activity.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Keeping track of your kid's online/cell phone activity Empty Re: Keeping track of your kid's online/cell phone activity

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:12 pm

Good idea, though i never got to do it much (they never allowed me to. Balked at the idea).

Back to top Go down

Keeping track of your kid's online/cell phone activity Empty Re: Keeping track of your kid's online/cell phone activity

Post by bw Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:35 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Good or bad idea? Looks like quite a few tools are available to monitor their activity.

until what age can one do it?

my kids don't have cell phones yet but use internet a lot. so far, i haven't had any reason to monitor it. i would rather not do it and hope it never comes to that.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:09 pm

Mr. CD,

Definitely a good idea, until children are 14 or 15.
I mean just keep an eye on what they are doing on line, not become obsessive and stalk them.

Yet to meet an American adult, White or Black who said, I wish my parents had given me more freedom, it's always,"wish they would have been more close and involved". 

Yet to meet an Indian American adult child who did not want it both ways- they want all the benefits..from Mom's Indian cooking-foods, all the financial support they can from parents, yet want what they perceive as "independence" of American peers.

We do the best we can as parents, it is better to err on the side of being involved- a little protective when they are young adults, imo.

Last edited by Maria S on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:Good or bad idea? Looks like quite a few tools are available to monitor their activity.

my kids don't have cell phones yet but use internet a lot. so far, i haven't had any reason to monitor it. i would rather not do it and hope it never comes to that.
till 17? I see this as an attempt to prevent them from falling prey to cyber criminals. A typical kid these days has at least 6 social media accounts such as instagram, twitter, facebook.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:14 pm

Maria S wrote:Mr. CD,

Definitely a good idea, until children are 14 or 15.
I mean just keep an eye on what they are doing on line, not become obsessive and stalk them.

Yet to meet an American adult, White or Black who said, I wish my parents had given me more freedom, it's always,"wish they would have been more close and involved". 

Yet to meet an Indian American adult child who did not want it both ways- they want all the benefits..from Mom's Indian cooking-foods, all the financial support they can from parents, yet want what they perceive as "independence" of American peers.

We do the best we can as parents, it is better to err on the side of being involved- a little protective when they are young adults, imo.
Hahaha.. very true and thanks for the detailed response.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:50 pm

CD

There is no general answer.  You are not a court or social service office to set up rules.  You are a parent. you at most have one or two or three kids.  You know them intimately. You love them. You mean well. 

Parents job is so much easier because you got so much information and so much power. But it is so difficult because you are dealing with one person only once in a life time.  If you screw up you and child pay a big price. 

Understand each kid and plan for each kid. Some kids need more guidance than others.  goal is not knowing what they are doing but to help them.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:01 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:

till 17? I see this as an attempt to prevent them from falling prey to cyber criminals. A typical kid these days has at least 6 social media accounts such as instagram, twitter, facebook.

makes sense. better be safe than sorry etc.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:13 pm

Yesterday - I had a chat w/my 12 year old daughter on cyber crime.

She just got her iPhone, and I wasn't too happy when ~$30 showed up on her iTunes purchase, while playing some game/app.

Every Apple device has the "Restrictions" in "Settings-> General", wherein parents can control a lot of things.

I am not a believer in putting restrictions on kids, but letting them have a free choice, but learn to be aware.

Best wishes,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:31 pm

TruthSeeker wrote:Yesterday - I had a chat w/my 12 year old daughter on cyber crime.

She just got her iPhone, and I wasn't too happy when ~$30 showed up on her iTunes purchase, while playing some game/app.

Every Apple device has the "Restrictions" in "Settings-> General", wherein parents can control a lot of things.

I am not a believer in putting restrictions on kids, but letting them have a free choice, but learn to be aware.

Best wishes,
TS.
Problem is they're kids after all, will spend all day watching videos, playing online games on their devices.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by TruthSeeker Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:39 pm

At least on Apple devices, I encourage parents to explore "Settings--> General-->Restrictions".

TruthSeeker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:04 pm

bw wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
bw wrote:

makes sense. better be safe than sorry etc.

I have no such issues.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down