Ganesh immersion at Sea in Madras Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ganesh immersion at Sea in Madras

+8
Hellsangel
michelle2
Propagandhi711
truthbetold
Kris
bw
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ganesh immersion at Sea in Madras Empty Ganesh immersion at Sea in Madras

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:31 pm

..The immersion of GIANT Ganesh statues and 10 day celebration is completely new to Madras until recently. This Maharashtrian ritual came to Madras (somehow) just 10 years ago. 10 to 20 ft high Ganesh Statues, ganesh processions, and 10 day celeb and 18,000 police bandobust - never heard saw till 10 years ago.

Same with feb 14 (forgot the name)and mothers day...none of these is Tamilian festival.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Ganesh immersion at Sea in Madras Empty Re: Ganesh immersion at Sea in Madras

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:45 pm

nobody says ganesh in TN. it has always been piLLaiyyAr or vinAyagar. at best they'll say gaNapathi. you and your ganesh, balaji, and keral.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:48 pm

i don't know why we have to copy anything from anyone. we have a rich tradition of art, mythology, and music based on piLLayyAr stories in TN.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:nobody says ganesh in TN. it has always been piLLaiyyAr or vinAyagar. at best they'll say gaNapathi. you and your ganesh, balaji, and keral.

unfortunately all i hrd on SUN TV news was GANESH..not once i hrd pillaiyaar.

Balaji is easier than his other long names. Keral is to irritate the eunuch of SuCH.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:43 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:nobody says ganesh in TN. it has always been piLLaiyyAr or vinAyagar. at best they'll say gaNapathi. you and your ganesh, balaji, and keral.

Balaji is easier than his other long names. Keral is to irritate the eunuch of SuCH.

weren't ganesh and balaji a couple of the more popular names after venkat? of course, these days, it is adithya, anushk, abhijit etc. (dunno why most people are stuck on "a")

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:19 pm

bw wrote:

weren't ganesh and balaji a couple of the more popular names after venkat? of course, these days, it is adithya, anushk, abhijit etc. (dunno why most people are stuck on "a")

Guess they feel special when they are called out alphabetically.

I want to rename myself as XaamiYaar or ZaamiYaar - got to be different to attract Sishyaiis.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:31 pm

..The immersion of GIANT Ganesh statues and 10 day celebration is completely new to Madras until recently. This Maharashtrian ritual came to Madras (somehow) just 10 years ago. 10 to 20 ft high Ganesh Statues, ganesh processions, and 10 day celeb and 18,000 police bandobust - never heard saw till 10 years ago.

Same with feb 14 (forgot the name)and mothers day...none of these is Tamilian festival.

>>> Indians are finding new excuses to party. If they are doing this in Joisey, why not in Madras? There are sangeets and bhangra dancing in weddings in Chennai now. If you are going to lose sleep over something, this bhangra custom would be a good place to start. I am reminded of the Lily Tomlin joke that she lays awake at nights worrying that the guy who invented muzak may be inventing something else now. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:37 am

why do you guys who try to give off this ultra coolness vibe think anyone is "losing sleep"? it's an observation about mindless aping is all.

saamiyar the sun tv guys are morons. onakku enge mooLai pOchu?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:52 am

bw i didn't mean the names (of human brings), but references to the deity.

when was the last time you heard someone say "ganesh kOvil prasadam" or "balaji kOvil laddu"?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:26 am

Aping Maharashtra is as bad as aping west to copy valentines day.

Sivaji ganeshan?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bw i didn't mean the names (of human brings), but references to the deity.

when was the last time you heard someone say "ganesh kOvil prasadam" or "balaji kOvil laddu"?

max, i understand your point but wonder why "balaji" is such a popular name in TN if no one uses that to refer to the deity.

i really doubt if sun tv folks said "ganesh". saamiyaar is not to be trusted on these matters - he is probably trying to yank your chain.

on another note, i wonder what the significance of dunking the pillayar into water is. does it signify washing away one's sins? it's a nice racket, if that's the case.

all i miss are the kozhakattais and ellu urundais.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:41 am

I think Marathi people say ganpati too. I grew up saying Ganesh.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:03 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

maharashtrians, and i've spent a fair amount of time amongst them, will say gun-pathi. tamilians say gaNa-pathi (note the more rounded, fuller, and more nasal 'Na'). this is closer to the original sanskritic meaning of the name -- the leader (pathi) of shivA's crack troops (gaNas).

listen to the opening line of this bhArathiar song sung by t.n.seshagopalan to hear how tamilians say it:

https://youtu.be/F5roj8J2XFQ
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:09 am

We use the right phonics for both. And that's the Na sound not na. When I get to work I will post the Hindi of it. Will hear the YouTube then as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:34 am

Whatever name the tamilians choose to call: piLLaiyyAr or vinAyagar or gaNapathi, etc. the fact remains that Ganesha is an Aryan aka North Indian god. So are they going to turn into atheists like some DMK guys or are going to take up a middle eastern religion?

PS: Aping the west left and right is ok, but following a tradition of a neighboring state is not? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:25 am

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-18000-cops-to-guard-ganesh-chaturthi-procession-in-chennai-2015682

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:04 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:why do you guys who try to give off this ultra coolness vibe think anyone is "losing sleep"? it's an observation about mindless aping is all.

>>>I don't think someone saying 'ganesh' or 'balaji' has put that much thought into it to constitute mindless aping. There simply isn't this much bandwidth. It probably barely registers and is something that is picked up by osmosis. Ditto for ultra-coolness, whatever that is.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:10 am

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:why do you guys who try to give off this ultra coolness vibe think anyone is "losing sleep"? it's an observation about mindless aping is all.

>>>I don't think someone saying 'ganesh' or 'balaji' has put that much thought into it to constitute mindless aping. There simply isn't this much bandwidth. It probably barely registers and is something that is picked up by osmosis. Ditto for ultra-coolness, whatever that is.

stop being ultra cool with yer fashionable balajis, tamil (no zh) & dosas (no i's). we know it's just an act to bag some chaunties

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:15 am

Kris wrote:

it is notable though that the osmosis nearly always only works one way. i find that interesting.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:18 am

to my knowledge the only gods mentioned in the rig veda are indrA and varuNA. everyone else came later. so it's arguable who is an "aryan" god (whatever that means) and who isn't. my comments though had nothing to do with that at all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:27 am

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bw i didn't mean the names (of human brings), but references to the deity.

max, i understand your point but wonder why "balaji" is such a popular name in TN if no one uses that to refer to the deity.

i really doubt if sun tv folks said "ganesh". saamiyaar is not to be trusted on these matters - he is probably trying to yank your chain.

on another note, i wonder what the significance of dunking the pillayar into water is. does it signify washing away one's sins? it's a nice racket, if that's the case.

This has hurt my image and such attempts to defame my credibility, reliability, and dependability will be resisted to the fullest. If this is repeated I will be forced to file a lawsuit and take every penny you have got (and send all your photos to all SuCHers in triplicate).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:43 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:to my knowledge the only gods mentioned in the rig veda are indrA and varuNA. everyone else came later. so it's arguable who is an "aryan" god (whatever that means) and who isn't. my comments though had nothing to do with that at all.
oh! so the Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavatam, and the puranas aren't 'Aryan' based? I brought this up in this context wrt your obsession with the 'us (the tamilian) Vs them (non-tamilian)' feeling that you harbor. Negate everything that's non-tamilian and you won't be left with much.

Ganesha isn't a tamil god, fyi (i know, i am scooping down to the shallowness to be at the same level)

Last edited by Kinnera on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:44 am

the statues

what (substance or material) are the statues made of? does it dissolve in water? if it doesn't, wouldn't it remain in the shallow water close to the beach permanently or nearly so, rendering it unfit for swimming, unless someone cleans beaches and the water? how we pollute and damage our environment in the name of hindu gods!

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:47 am

AFAIK the small piLLaiyAr idols used in tamil hindu homes are made of clay.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:48 am

michelle2 wrote:
the statues

what (substance or material) are the statues made of? does it dissolve in water? if it doesn't, wouldn't it remain in the shallow water close to the beach permanently or nearly so, rendering it unfit for swimming, unless someone cleans beaches and the water? how we pollute and damage our environment in the name of hindu gods!
Now that's a good point to make. That's why the campaign for 'go green Ganesha' is catching up. Ppl are opting for mud ganeshas, which is how it originally was.

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:03 am

michelle2 wrote:what (substance or material) are the statues made of? does it dissolve in water? if it doesn't, wouldn't it remain in the shallow water close to the beach permanently or nearly so, rendering it unfit for swimming, unless someone cleans beaches and the water? how we pollute and damage our environment in the name of hindu gods!
correction: "cleans the beaches."

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:05 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:AFAIK the small piLLaiyAr idols used in tamil hindu homes are made of clay.

are they ever made of rice flour?

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:15 am

I heard yesterday some people just keep a supari for the new idol, as a symbolism.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:18 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

maharashtrians, and i've spent a fair amount of time amongst them, will say gun-pathi. tamilians say gaNa-pathi (note the more rounded, fuller, and more nasal 'Na'). this is closer to the original sanskritic meaning of the name -- the leader (pathi) of shivA's crack troops (gaNas).

listen to the opening line of this bhArathiar song sung by t.n.seshagopalan to hear how tamilians say it:

https://youtu.be/F5roj8J2XFQ

गणेश
गणपति

is different from the na of नमस्ते sound. The only thing that we no longer stress much in NI now is the 'a' sound at the end of Na sound.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:21 am

bw wrote:

This has hurt my image and such attempts to defame my credibility, reliability, and dependability will be resisted to the fullest.  If this is repeated I will be forced to file a lawsuit and take every penny you have got (and send all your photos to all SuCHers in triplicate).

for that she needs to piss off some other sucher. I feel like protecting her and tell her his name, but my credibility has been immersed in the atlantic ocean lately. So will let it go Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:23 am

michelle2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:AFAIK the small piLLaiyAr idols used in tamil hindu homes are made of clay.

there is a very small (about a 2 cm (largest dimension)), lump of rice flour which is symbolically assigned the role of piLLaiyyar that is used to perform the naivEdhyam ceremony. this is the ritual offering of prepared food to the deity before consumption by people. AFAIK it is not dumped anywhere, but simply dissolved in water.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:24 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

there is a very small (about a 2 cm (largest dimension)), lump of rice flour which is symbolically assigned the role of piLLaiyyar that is used to perform the naivEdhyam ceremony.  this is the ritual offering of prepared food to the deity before consumption by people.  AFAIK it is not dumped anywhere, but simply dissolved in water.

now a days they encourage to immerse the idols also in a bucket/tub/pool of water considering the hit it had been taking on the environment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:45 am

All that aside.. I want to know what diet pUllaiyar is following..

Looks like most giant statues of pUllaiyaar lost their big fat tummies.. At this rate, he can sport a 6-pack tummy in 2 years.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:51 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:All that aside.. I want to know what diet pUllaiyar is following..

Looks like most giant statues of pUllaiyaar lost their big fat tummies.. At this rate, he can sport a 6-pack tummy in 2 years.

2 years? na-ah. From what I gathered from some comments, Ganesha's belly is supposed to stand for the universe or something. Looks like it's going going gone.

Ganesh immersion at Sea in Madras A3i0zX9

Ganesh immersion at Sea in Madras SHwHaix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:03 pm

Looks like pUllaiyar also read about love jihad, conversion and Islamic State, and AlQ announcement.

I heard on TV Many musalmans participating in the Pullaiyar procession. They were all there for publicity bcz they claimed they were doing it for the "harmony" and good hindu-muslim relations, with the other Kullas in teh crowd shaking their heads in approval. Not out of respect for hindus feelings or beliefs or due to pride in the Indian culture or attachment to their ancestral conenctions to the hindus and PUllaiyaar.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:45 pm

For the clueless:

Vinayaka Chaturthi or Ganesha Chaturthi celebrations end with the immersion or Visarjan of clay Ganapati idol in water. Hindus worship Brahman or the Supreme Soul present in all animate and inanimate. But for majority of the people it is not possible to worship this formlessness. They need a form
to pray to, to seek help, to cry and to take blessings. Ganesha is 'OM' the primordial sound or the first 'Vaak.' Nirguna Para Brahman takes the form of Ganesha.

Clay and water is mixed to give form to the formlessness. Each person brings Ganesha in clay idol form into the home. This is the Supreme Being arriving at home. After the celebrations, it is time to accept the eternal cosmic law that which took form has to become formless again. It is a never ending cycle (Chakra).

The formlessness giving way to form and then moving again towards formlessness. Each year Ganesha arrives to teach us that forms change but the Supreme Truth remains the same. Body perishes but Brahman residing in it remains constant. This body becomes energy for another but the source of energy is the same. Bliss is achieved when we realize this.

http://www.answers.com/Q/Why_you_immerse_Lord_Ganesha_on_Ganesha_Chaturthi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:29 pm

bw wrote:

This has hurt my image and such attempts to defame my credibility, reliability, and dependability will be resisted to the fullest.  If this is repeated I will be forced to file a lawsuit and take every penny you have got (and send all your photos to all SuCHers in triplicate).

answer my question on balaji please. if no one prays to balaji in TN, why do(did) they name so many kids balaji?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:12 pm

some of the pictures of ganesh idols really mock the spirit of vinayak chaturdi. It used to be a family festival performed inside one's house.  The community function used to be about local arts, Songs/stage dramas etc. 

Now BJP/RSS inspired pooja mandals converted chaturdi into a community event and pushed the ugly idea of bigger is better and turned vinayaka into some kind of cartoon character.  It is good for BJP but bad for hindu traditions.  Add to that the massive environmental concern.  Hyderabad had no place to dump vinayak idols. So they throw them into that tiny lake called hussain sagar. 

Bad idea. BJP screws up big time with these massive Ganeshas. Stop this madness.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:34 pm

truthbetold wrote:some of the pictures of ganesh idols really mock the spirit of vinayak chaturdi. It used to be a family festival performed inside one's house.  The community function used to be about local arts, Songs/stage dramas etc. 

Now BJP/RSS inspired pooja mandals converted chaturdi into a community event and pushed the ugly idea of bigger is better and turned vinayaka into some kind of cartoon character.  It is good for BJP but bad for hindu traditions.  Add to that the massive environmental concern.  Hyderabad had no place to dump vinayak idols. So they throw them into that tiny lake called hussain sagar. 

Bad idea. BJP screws up big time with these massive Ganeshas. Stop this madness.

Politically speaking, it's probably just a show of strength in numbers.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:34 pm

oh, i just remembered that there is indeed a "balaji temple". i have been there on an "excursion".  i recall the temple being very clean and beautiful.

http://valparai.org/Balaji-Temple.html

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:39 pm

bw wrote:

oh, i just remembered that there is indeed a "balaji temple". i have been there on an "excursion".  i recall the temple being very clean and beautiful.

http://valparai.org/Balaji-Temple.html

this seems to be some modern northindian style temple. maybe some marathadi saamiyar built it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 pm

Some of these statues look so demonized that they look more like some representation of Kali.

I fondly recall my boyhood days in Madurai when we used to make a trip to the Vaigai river to immerse the clay statue of Pillayaar.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Keral is to irritate the eunuch of SuCH.
and MADRAS is to irritate whom ??  Laughing

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:07 pm

delhi also has a ganesh festival now .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:14 pm

michelle2 wrote:
the statues

There was a news item 2,3 years ago which showed the the remnants of the statues washed ashore 2 days later. heads and headless statues all over. The clay painted that dont wash in water. That was utter disrespect for pUllaiyaar.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:08 am

goodcitizn wrote:Some of these statues look so demonized that they look more like some representation of Kali.

I fondly recall my boyhood days in Madurai when we used to make a trip to the Vaigai river to immerse the clay statue of Pillayaar.
>>>So the immersion in a river/sea is a common custom then? We used to use the well then and I thought everyone did that.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:16 am

Pure commercialism. Businesses make a lot of money from these festivals and celebrations.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:27 am

Yes... I prefer Madras.

Chennai is not Tamil.

You can say Ganesha in Chennai....You cannot say that in Madras. In Madras you say piLLaiyyAr or vinAyagar.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:34 am

southindian wrote:Yes... I prefer Madras.

Chennai is not Tamil.

You can say Ganesha in Chennai....You cannot say that in Madras. In Madras you say piLLaiyyAr or vinAyagar.

i know you've been desperately trying to be funny or something, but sorry no cigar.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:37 am

Kris wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Some of these statues look so demonized that they look more like some representation of Kali.

>>>So the immersion in a river/sea is a common custom then? We used to use the well then and I thought everyone did that.

Old joke, Kris. How does Pillayaar fall into a well? Thoppa katteer nu.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next