looks like UCLA killer was a desi - Page 2 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

looks like UCLA killer was a desi

+5
goodcitizn
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Vakavaka Pakapaka
MaxEntropy_Man
Propagandhi711
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

looks like UCLA killer was a desi - Page 2 Empty Re: looks like UCLA killer was a desi

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:44 pm

http://www.timesofindia.com/city/kolkata/Sarkar-used-to-scribble-equations-on-walls/articleshow/52578847.cms
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

looks like UCLA killer was a desi - Page 2 Empty Re: looks like UCLA killer was a desi

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.firstpost.com/world/ucla-shooting-answers-to-mainak-sarkar-mystery-may-lie-in-prosenjit-poddars-story-2815358.html

there's even a book:
https://www.amazon.com/BAD-KARMA-Story-Obsession-Murder-ebook/dp/B00AMQ1LIM#customerReviews
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:28 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.firstpost.com/world/ucla-shooting-answers-to-mainak-sarkar-mystery-may-lie-in-prosenjit-poddars-story-2815358.html

there's even a book:
https://www.amazon.com/BAD-KARMA-Story-Obsession-Murder-ebook/dp/B00AMQ1LIM#customerReviews
While there are parallels between Sarkar and Poddar, the latter was a case of obsession over a girl who lured, then rejected him. I don't see the clash of cultures with Sarkar who ended up marrying his girl friend. I see him more as a misfit loner dweeb who was 38, whose wife left him probably because she found him mentally unstable, who was a loser typically blaming others for his misery, and so on. At the very least, the guy was suicidal and decided to take those he despised with him.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:44 am

goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

there's even a book:
While there are parallels between Sarkar and Poddar, the latter was a case of obsession over a girl who lured, then rejected him. I don't see the clash of cultures with Sarkar who ended up marrying his girl friend. I see him more as a misfit loner dweeb who was 38, whose wife left him probably because she found him mentally unstable, who was a loser typically blaming others for his misery, and so on. At the very least, the guy was suicidal and decided to take those he despised with him.

i agree they are not exactly the same, but there are parallels. the tarasoff -- poddar case changed a major law that is cited to this day in psychiatry circles -- a mental health professional is legally bound to inform law enforcement if he feels there is a specific threat posed by a mentally unstable individual to others. if it turns out that sarkar was mentally unstable, i'd like to see something similar happen with gun purchasing and mental health.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:prof klug and his family are not the only victims here. his graduate students, the future students who could have trained under him, the millions and millions of people who could have benefited from his research are also sarkar and the NRA's victims. this is a crime against humanity.
Forget this as a crime against humanity. This guy seemed to be working his students for their Ph.D. diplomas as a cheap labor for 6 or more years on the average in several instances, the degree (ph.D.) which usually (including in his own case probably) should not be taking more than 4 yrs.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:07 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

there's even a book:

i agree they are not exactly the same, but there are parallels. the tarasoff -- poddar case changed a major law that is cited to this day in psychiatry circles -- a mental health professional is legally bound to inform law enforcement if he feels there is a specific threat posed by a mentally unstable individual to others. if it turns out that sarkar was mentally unstable, i'd like to see something similar happen with gun purchasing and mental health.
A bigger issue is how easily people can illegally buy guns and semi automatic weapons in the country. With jammed penitentiaries and legal loopholes, there is a multi-billion dollar blackmarket industry that is flourishing unabated by law enforcement.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/02/26/exclusive-buying-a-gun-on-facebook-takes-15-minutes/

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/procon/guns.html

http://www.newsweek.com/gun-control-where-criminals-get-weapons-412850

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:13 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:prof klug and his family are not the only victims here. his graduate students, the future students who could have trained under him, the millions and millions of people who could have benefited from his research are also sarkar and the NRA's victims. this is a crime against humanity.
Forget this as a crime against humanity. This guy seemed to be working his students for their Ph.D. diplomas as a cheap labor for 6 or more years on the average in several instances, the degree (ph.D.) which usually (including in his own case probably) should not be taking more than 4 yrs.
Yeah, blame the dead guy without any proof.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:26 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

every other student and his colleagues say he was the salt of the earth in addition to being a brilliant researcher and teacher, and yet you blame the victim. i have no idea what compels you to say this.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:27 am

i found reading about the tarasoff - poddar case riveting. this must have been around the time that our most senior SUCHers, the three or four people from that era who inhabit this board, first came to the US/canada as students. i wonder if they remember the poddar case.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:36 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
I am quite saddened about this tragic accident and the loss of lives, and did you miss one of my earlier posts (copy-pasted below in green and the reference for the statement (in italics) in red color). It is clear from the following that Mr. Aggarwal is a Ph.D. student for +8 yrs. (since 2008), Mr. Krishnamoorthi for +7 yrs. (since 2009), and Mr. Sarkar spent +7 yrs. on his Ph.D. after having already completed his M.S. prior to 2006. 

Btw is there a problem with the Ph.D. program at this college, as the students working for Ph.D. seem to be taking unusually long time (e.g. 7 or 8 yrs.):

"On the UCLA website Sarkar is listed as part of the Klug Research Group, a team of six postdoctoral and PhD students researching biomechanics. Two others, besides Sarkar, are of Indian-origin: Ankush Aggarwal, ME Ph.D. student, 2008-, and Shankarjee Krishnamoorthi, ME PhD student, 2009-. Sarkar is the seniormost of the lot with a Phd enrollment going back to 2006 (Ph.D. completed in 2013, after already having M.S. degree), two years longer than any of the others." (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/IIT-Kharagpur-alumnus-kills-US-professor-at-UCLA-over-academic-spat/articleshow/52559222.cms)

Last edited by Seva Lamberdar on Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

every other student and his colleagues say he was the salt of the earth in addition to being a brilliant researcher and teacher, and yet you blame the victim. i have no idea what compels you to say this.
I am not blaming the victim, but only reflecting on the situation (check out my latest response to "goodcitizen"). As for this tragic incident, I feel quite sad.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
I am quite saddened about this tragic accident and the loss of lives, and did you miss one of my earlier posts (copy-pasted below in blue and the reference for the statement (in italics) in red color). It is clear from the following that Mr. Aggarwal is a Ph.D. student for +8 yrs. (since 2008), Mr. Krishnamoorthi for +7 yrs. (since 2009), and Mr. Sarkar spent +7 yrs. on his Ph.D. after having already completed his M.S. prior to 2006. 

Btw is there a problem with the Ph.D. program at this college, as the students working for Ph.D. seem to be taking unusually long time (e.g. 7 or 8 yrs.):

"On the UCLA website Sarkar is listed as part of the Klug Research Group, a team of six postdoctoral and PhD students researching biomechanics. Two others, besides Sarkar, are of Indian-origin: Ankush Aggarwal, ME Ph.D. student, 2008-, and Shankarjee Krishnamoorthi, ME PhD student, 2009-. Sarkar is the seniormost of the lot with a Phd enrollment going back to 2006 (Ph.D. completed in 2013, after already having M.S. degree), two years longer than any of the others." (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/IIT-Kharagpur-alumnus-kills-US-professor-at-UCLA-over-academic-spat/articleshow/52559222.cms)
As a matter of fact, I did read your original link but it doesn't support your contention that these Indian students were forced to stay with the program longer, not of their own volition, nor is there any evidence of the professor using them as cheap slave labor for his own benefit.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:59 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
I am quite saddened about this tragic accident and the loss of lives, and did you miss one of my earlier posts (copy-pasted below in blue and the reference for the statement (in italics) in red color). It is clear from the following that Mr. Aggarwal is a Ph.D. student for +8 yrs. (since 2008), Mr. Krishnamoorthi for +7 yrs. (since 2009), and Mr. Sarkar spent +7 yrs. on his Ph.D. after having already completed his M.S. prior to 2006. 

As a matter of fact, I did read your original link but it doesn't support your contention that these Indian students were forced to stay with the program longer, not of their own volition, nor is there any evidence of the professor using them as cheap slave labor for his own benefit.

You probably would say the same thing about workers in sweatshops, as not forced or made to stay longer or used as cheap slave labor for owner's benefit.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

You probably would say the same thing about workers in sweatshops, as not forced or made to stay longer or used as cheap slave labor for owner's benefit.
No, I wouldn't because there is sufficient proof to support it. You have no proof to back your claim regarding the research students or their professor. If you show me a supporting link, I will accept.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:15 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

No, I wouldn't because there is sufficient proof to support it. You have no proof to back your claim.
Ample proof (according to the above) -- guys having to spend +7 yrs. for the Ph.D. degree (after having already completed the M.S. degree), and one of the guys, a disgruntled and disappointed ex-employee, shooting himself, his wife and the boss afterwards.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:02 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

No, I wouldn't because there is sufficient proof to support it. You have no proof to back your claim.
Ample proof (according to the above) -- guys having to spend +7 yrs. for the Ph.D. degree (after having already completed the M.S. degree), and one of the guys, a disgruntled and disappointed ex-employee, shooting himself, his wife and the boss afterwards.
Slanderous extrapolation. Here's one for you. Did you go to IIT Kharagpur? Are you a PhD? If the answer is yes, and if you own a gun and a cat, I better call 911.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:30 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

What you say about student exploitation is true to SOME extent in second tier or wanna be first tier schools - but not in Top tier schools. UCLA should not be and never short of attracting good students. The field itself is new to many desis - who are switchovers from other traditional engineering - with zero biology background. When someone switches a major sub field, PhD can easily take 5 to 6 years. I dont think it is the case here.

Exploitation is more common among foreign Chinku, iranian and Turkish profs... as there are less and less Indians getting into academics these days (very few desi PhD students compared to your days).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:43 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

What you say about student exploitation is true to SOME extent in second tier or wanna be first tier schools - but not in Top tier schools. UCLA should not be and never short of attracting good students. The field itself is new to many desis - who are switchovers from other traditional engineering - with zero biology background. When someone switches a major sub field, PhD can easily take 5 to 6 years. I dont think it is the case here.

Exploitation is more common among foreign Chinku, iranian and Turkish profs...as there are less and less Indians getting into academics these days (very few desi PhD students compared to your days).

even after getting a social life after their 'dislocation' to the startling culture of which their awareness was remote and minimal, then before internet, most worked hard spent lots of their time in labs including weekends, and this could easily be misconstrued as exploitation.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:40 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Exploitation is more common among foreign Chinku, iranian and Turkish profs... as there are less and less Indians getting into academics these days (very few desi PhD students compared to your days).
Ph.D. degree surely is a complex undertaking and we don't know much about individual situations, like the present one involving UCLA. My comments here were only in relation to: (1) someone calling this guy (Sarkar) a weak student, while he had aerospace degree (B.Tech.) from IIT Kgp and  M.S. (ME) from Stanford before joining UCLA for Ph.D. almost a decade ago; and (2) the usually lengthy Ph.D. program stay (more than 7 yrs.) in case of several students in this group at UCLA (as mentioned in the link   --  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/IIT-Kharagpur-alumnus-kills-US-professor-at-UCLA-over-academic-spat/articleshow/52559222.cms)
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:08 pm

some recent information on how long it might take to complete a ph.d. in chemical engineering at stanford university:

https://cheme.stanford.edu/admissions/phd/phd-faqs

the range is 4.5 - 5.5 years. the department also says, not surprisingly, "in some cases, it will be a bit less or a bit more."

if we take the mean time for a ph.d. to be 5 years, the upper estimate of 5.5 years to be 2 standard deviations above the mean, and the distribution of time for a ph.d. to be a normal (gaussian) one, 

- the probability that a student will take 5.5 or more years is 0.023 (2.3%);

- the probability that a student will take 6 or more years is less than 0.001 (0.1%).

thus, the probability is nearly zero that a student would take 6, 7, or 8 years for his/her ph.d., at least at stanford's chemical engineering department.

according to this standard, the ucla students mentioned in this thread took an extraordinarily long time for their ph.d.s.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:26 pm

I don't know specific details about UCLA's ph.d program, but post-bachelors and postmasters typically have about a year's difference at most schools.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I don't know specific details about UCLA's ph.d program, but post-bachelors and postmasters typically have about a year's difference at most schools.
but you know specific details about at least one other university, don't you? what is the average number of years that a student takes for a ph.d. in engineering, after being awarded a bachelor's degree in a related field? you might also mention the range.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:01 pm

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:I don't know specific details about UCLA's ph.d program, but post-bachelors and postmasters typically have about a year's difference at most schools.
but you know specific details about at least one other university, don't you? what is the average number of years that a student takes for a ph.d. in engineering, after being awarded a bachelor's degree in a related field? you might also mention the range.
I meant at the university or universities you know best. at the universities I know best, the time required for a ph.d. in engineering is consistent with the data I posted earlier on stanford's chE department.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:09 pm

at u1 - post bachelors (pb) ph.d. average was 5.5 years and probably ranged between 4 and 6 years.
at u2 - pb ph.d. average is 4.5 years and probably ranges between 4 years and 5.5 years.

at u2 the norm is to get a masters along the way. that was not the norm at u1. students who came in with a bachelors degree and whose end goal was a ph.d. just got on with it without bothering with a masters. the longer years for a pb ph.d. is because of the additional graduate level coursework required to prepare oneself for a research project.

these are numbers in two engineering disciplines at two universities i am very familiar with. it's possible that years to (engineering) ph.d. in the US has generally gone down a bit it in the last twenty years because of the larger number of pure computational ph.d.s today than twenty years ago. generally it is my observation that (pure) computational ph.d.s take on average a year shorter than experimental or purely analytical (extremely rare, probably non-existent today but not twenty years ago) ph.d.s.

these are unverified casual observations on my part.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:at u1 - post bachelors (pb) ph.d. average was 5.5 years and probably ranged between 4 and 6 years.
at u2 - pb ph.d. average is 4.5 years and probably ranges between 4 years and 5.5 years.

at u2 the norm is to get a masters along the way. that was not the norm at u1. students who came in with a bachelors degree and whose end goal was a ph.d. just got on with it without bothering with a masters. the longer years for a pb ph.d. is because of the additional graduate level coursework required to prepare oneself for a research project.

these are numbers in two engineering disciplines at two universities i am very familiar with. it's possible that years to (engineering) ph.d. in the US has generally gone down a bit it in the last twenty years because of the larger number of pure computational ph.d.s today than twenty years ago. generally it is my observation that (pure) computational ph.d.s take on average a year shorter than experimental or purely analytical (extremely rare, probably non-existent today but not twenty years ago) ph.d.s.

Generally, I second you. Most do computational work as it enables them to start working on thesis with the minmal work they did during the UG. Also, the students can do work 24/7 from anywhere in the world. Also, these guys are not necessarily strong on numerical analysis or basic programming and the math that goes behind the magical "software". But, it gets them a 8 x 10 sheet, which makes them eligible to get a job (and OPT) - mostly in one of a million "Click, click, generate output" jobs.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:13 pm

swapna wrote:some recent information on how long it might take to complete a ph.d. in chemical engineering at stanford university:

https://cheme.stanford.edu/admissions/phd/phd-faqs

the range is 4.5 - 5.5 years. the department also says, not surprisingly, "in some cases, it will be a bit less or a bit more."

if we take the mean time for a ph.d. to be 5 years, the upper estimate of 5.5 years to be 2 standard deviations above the mean, and the distribution of time for a ph.d. to be a normal (gaussian) one, 

- the probability that a student will take 5.5 or more years is 0.023 (2.3%);

- the probability that a student will take 6 or more years is less than 0.001 (0.1%).

thus, the probability is nearly zero that a student would take 6, 7, or 8 years for his/her ph.d., at least at stanford's chemical engineering department.

according to this standard, the ucla students mentioned in this thread took an extraordinarily long time for their ph.d.s.

in the near past, consistently excessive periods observed - check with your GYNO Wink

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:24 pm

UCLA has a vested interest in making it stricter and harder to get a PhD as they have to compete with Berkeley for funds, status and image.

Stanford does not have that problem, and Stanford and MIT have different problems.In engineering at least, there are only MIT and Stanford in the top 10 in most fields. Cornell, CMU are in the top 10 only in some fields. It is mostly the top-tier state schools that crowd the top 10 in engineering fields. Sarkar would hv received a PhD in 2 to 4 yrs if he had simply continued under the same advisor at Stanford. But, he could have moved out for a number of reasons.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:at u1 - post bachelors (pb) ph.d. average was 5.5 years and probably ranged between 4 and 6 years.

Generally, I second you.
what do you second him in? he didn't propose anything, express any opinion, or draw any conclusion. did you mean that you always second him, no matter what he says?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:00 pm

thanks for the information; it's consistent with the stanford data, the probabilities given in my earlier post, and the conclusion. that the ucla students took an extraordinarily long time to get their ph.d.s.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:46 am

swapna wrote:

thanks for the information; it's consistent with the stanford data, the probabilities given in my earlier post, and the conclusion. that the ucla students took an extraordinarily long time to get their ph.d.s.

Not as as straight forward as you have put. A lot of other factors go into it. Your Gaussian distribution and stddev wont be able to identify those "factors".

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:58 pm

Why was the other professor who was not his advisor on the kill list? Any news?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:07 pm

swapna wrote:

Not as as straight forward as you have put. A lot of other factors go into it. Your Gaussian distribution and stddev wont be able to identify those "factors".

"Don't throw sand in other's rice" hahaha how about that? anyways, what I mean is, this sneeze would soon be massaged into a publication in economics, and that 'd help get tenure, na ?

also, dollars to donuts sam, i see another ejmerde reference coming up soon Wink  hahaha

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2