Bong kid in Germany solves  Newton's 300 year old puzzle Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bong kid in Germany solves Newton's 300 year old puzzle

+2
MulaiAzhagi
doofus_maximus
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bong kid in Germany solves  Newton's 300 year old puzzle Empty Bong kid in Germany solves Newton's 300 year old puzzle

Post by doofus_maximus Sun May 27, 2012 9:50 am

Teen solves Newton’s 300-year-old riddle Credits feat to ‘schoolboy naiveté’ BY BOJAN PANCEVSKI MAY 27, 2012 An Indian-born teenager has won a research award for solving a mathematical problem first posed by Sir Isaac Newton more than 300 years ago that has baffled mathematicians ever since. The solution devised by Shouryya Ray, 16, makes it possible to calculate exactly the path of a projectile under gravity and subject to air resistance. Shouryya, who lives in Dresden, eastern Germany, came up with the solutions to this and a second mathematical riddle while working on a school project. He is being hailed as a genius in the German press, but attributes his achievement to “curiosity and schoolboy naivety.” “When it was explained to us that the problems had no solutions, I thought to myself: well, there’s no harm in trying,” he said. The problems he resolved are from the field of dynamics. The first, dealing with the movement of projectiles through the air, was posed by Newton in the 17th century. The second, which relates to the collision of a body with a wall, was posed in the 19th century. Only partial solutions had been discovered up to now, requiring simplified assumptions or calculations by computer. Shouryya’s elegant solutions could contribute to greater precision in fields such as ballistics. Shouryya’s family moved to Germany when he was 12 after his father Subhashis Ray, an engineer, got a job at a technical college. Shouryya spoke no German when he arrived but has mastered the language and is due to take the German equivalent of A-levels this week, two years ahead of his peers. “Ray’s accomplishment is impressive and we are particularly proud of his background as it highlights the achievements of migrants across language and cultural barriers,” said the Youth Research Foundation, which gave him the award. A keen cricketer, Shouryya cites his father as his inspiration and says he instilled a “hunger for mathematics” after teaching him calculus at the age of six. Subhashis Ray said he was no longer able to keep up with his son’s mathematical prowess, however. “He never discussed his project with me before it was finished and the mathematics he used are far beyond my reach,” he said. The Sunday Times, London
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Bong kid in Germany solves  Newton's 300 year old puzzle Empty Re: Bong kid in Germany solves Newton's 300 year old puzzle

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 am

But can this kid can pass the IIT JEE?

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Bong kid in Germany solves  Newton's 300 year old puzzle Empty Re: Bong kid in Germany solves Newton's 300 year old puzzle

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 27, 2012 12:23 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:But can this kid can pass the IIT JEE?

He will easily crack it - except the mundane method of teaching and insistence on conformity will kill this kid's curiosity and ingenuity. At best, he will continue onto IIM and potentially become another Rajat Gupta.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

He will easily crack it

no he wont. i had once shown mulaiazhagi why the likes of him couldn't in such. you tend to jump to conclusions easily. you are a fool. you need a coaching centre (or the brilliant/aggarwal/other-tutorials) to crack iit-jeee.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

He will easily crack it

no he wont. i had once shown mulaiazhagi why the likes of him couldn't in such. you tend to jump to conclusions easily. you are a fool. you need a coaching centre (or the brilliant/aggarwal/other-tutorials) to crack iit-jeee.

You are dead wrong.... dont assume that all 18,000 who cracked the JEE went to coaching classes. There are no established coaching classes in 3rd tier cities, and very few in most 2nd tier cities. Do you mean to say that no one from those cities cracked JEE.

I have come across quite a few JEE crackers - in current generation.

This guy will crack it - may not end up in the top 10 or even top 100 ranks but certainly will come within the top 10,000 - coaching or no coaching, and no matter how many times IIT changes its JEE format.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27, 2012 2:07 pm

This guy will crack it - may not end up in the top 10 or even top 100 ranks but certainly will come within the top 10,000 - coaching or no coaching, and no matter how many times IIT changes its JEE format.

oh! from this guy will crack it to certainly come within the top 10,00 is a giant leap saamiyaar. a rank 10,000 might get him agricultural or textile engineering. what exactly are you trying to say or prove or emphasize?

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

oh! from this guy will crack it to certainly come within the top 10,00 is a giant leap saamiyaar. a rank 10,000 might get him agricultural or textile engineering. what exactly are you trying to say or prove or emphasize?

===> In a way, I feel sorry for the kids who end up doing agricultural or textile engineering at the IIT. The kids who got admission into Computer Science and EE programs must be looking down on them. They have to suffer that ignominy for four years.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Cracking is cracking.... the media touts 18,000 as cracking this year. not just the top 1000 or 10,000. Go by that definition.

Hahaha... so let us hear your definition of cracking....= within top 10 or 100, 1000 ? So, those who agri or textile at IIT dont deserve IIT or JEE tag?

FYI, Agri graduates cam get into grad programs in econ, MBA, Biotech research. textile guys can easily get into grad school in Polymer, materials, composites, and then MBA....

You want me to tell you what a Potttery Engineer can do with his degree? Just ask.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun May 27, 2012 2:23 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

===> In a way, I feel sorry for the kids who end up doing agricultural or textile engineering at the IIT. The kids who got admission into Computer Science and EE programs must be looking down on them. They have to suffer that ignominy for four years.

Everyone will be looked down by someone else with something superior they might have. Show them what you are superior in and whack them.

Remember, no one - absolutely no one - is superior in every aspect of his life. There is always something in your repository that you can use to make your detractor feel crappy about.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 2:05 am

Cracking is cracking.... the media touts 18,000 as cracking this year. not just the top 1000 or 10,000. Go by that definition.

fine. merely cracking iit-jee is not an achievement for a guy like this. it is expected that he'd top iit-jee or get a rank in top 1000. evidently that is not what you had meant.

So, those who agri or textile at IIT dont deserve IIT or JEE tag?

i never said that. this guy does not deserve to study those subjects though. he deserves better!

FYI, Agri graduates cam get into grad programs in econ, MBA, Biotech research. textile guys can easily get into grad school in Polymer, materials, composites, and then MBA....

You want me to tell you what a Potttery Engineer can do with his degree? Just ask.

irrelevant!

p.s. my older's friend who topped his school's class 12 boards scored 100 in math, 99 in physics and 99 in chemistry. he did not take any iit-jee coaching. he did not get a rank in iit-jee. he got a seat in NUS with full financial aid and is going to attend it. NUS takes entirely on board results -- no other tests.

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon May 28, 2012 3:26 am

kapasi is correct. I know a guy who was a professor of civil engineering at IIT Kharagpur.

He has three kids. The first one could not crack the JEE. Then the father found out it was because the son did not go to a coaching institute. The man learnt his lesson. Then he sent his other two kids to reputed coaching centers. They cracked the JEE.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 28, 2012 11:40 am

[quote="Huzefa Kapasi"]

fine. merely cracking iit-jee is not an achievement for a guy like this. it is expected that he'd top iit-jee or get a rank in top 1000. evidently that is not what you had meant.

So, those who agri or textile at IIT dont deserve IIT or JEE tag?

i never said that. this guy does not deserve to study those subjects though. he deserves better!

Sorry....that is not the argument here. You said he would not crack it and I said he certainly would. period. ranking, expectations, what we might have implied/meant etc are separate questions.

What do you mean he deserves better than Agri or textile. What if he liked those fields and studies them ? Who said they are any worse than Computer science or any other field ? Agricultural engineering has a lot of hydraulics and mechanical engineering subjects in its curriculum in addition to botony, biochemical and organic chemistry.

Not a cake walk.

I know a girl who cracked JEE with a greta rank - for parents sake - but insisted on going to National Institute of Design in Ahmedabad (She dresses and looks more like a hollywood actress). Comes from a family of PhDs and a very wealthy family with a 3 generation business. She might just come up with her own chain of stores that and her own design of clothing - who knows. The dad who is also a PhD let all his kids do whatever they liked. One is doing PhD in physics (after an electrical degree). BTW, the family is from/in India.

In one of your earlier threads you said it is important for the kids to do what they liked. Branding anything as worthless is against your own post.

Only in India, this entrance exam system is prevalent. Actually, it has gone berserk with people writing 4 or 5 entrance exam after they graduate - absurd.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 12:56 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Only in India, this entrance exam system is prevalent. Actually, it has gone berserk with people writing 4 or 5 entrance exam after they graduate - absurd.

you are contradicting yourself. if this bong kid can crack any entrance exam then why would 4/5 (my kid appeared for 6) exams, plus his boards, should be any difficulty for him? he would easily crack all and accept agricultural engineering for you endorse it, na?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 28, 2012 1:04 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Only in India, this entrance exam system is prevalent. Actually, it has gone berserk with people writing 4 or 5 entrance exam after they graduate - absurd.

you are contradicting yourself. if this bong kid can crack any entrance exam then why would 4/5 (my kid appeared for 6) exams, plus his boards, should be any difficulty for him? he would easily crack all and accept agricultural engineering for you endorse it, na?

ok...you win.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon May 28, 2012 1:13 pm

===> The Bong kid can ace Physics and Math tests on JEE. But he may hate Chemistry and thus screw up.

I posted longtime ago about a desi who won international Math competitions flunked the Chemistry test on JEE. He could not get into IIT but was admitted to MIT i.e Massachussetts Institute of Technology. There he did his bachelor's in Math .

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 28, 2012 1:14 pm

....just when we are talking about JEE and IIT, here comes the new plan for 2013....

Looks like 15 IITs became instantly 42 IITs. Bcz the NITs in Trichy, calicut, Warrangal and Surathkal can easily compete with the bottom 5 IITs for fame and ranking - if not quality of education.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Mon May 28, 2012 1:45 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:....just when we are talking about JEE and IIT, here comes the new plan for 2013....

Looks like 15 IITs became instantly 42 IITs. Bcz the NITs in Trichy, calicut, Warrangal and Surathkal can easily compete with the bottom 5 IITs for fame and ranking - if not quality of education.

==> Honestly speaking, quite a few of these NITs especially Tiruchy and Warangal are really not that bad. There are really smart kids who come out of these schools and have done extremely well at top ranked American graduate schools. But the kid from IIT Lucknow has the advantage of the brand name.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 28, 2012 3:12 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:

I posted longtime ago about a desi who won international Math competitions flunked the Chemistry test on JEE.

this seems like an apocryphal story. they never give out the scores for the individual portions of the JEE. you only know if you made it and if you did, the rank that you secured. unless the rules have changed since the drive to open an IIT at every street corner.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon May 28, 2012 4:26 pm

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> The Bong kid can ace Physics and Math tests on JEE. But he may hate Chemistry and thus screw up.

I posted longtime ago about a desi who won international Math competitions flunked the Chemistry test on JEE. He could not get into IIT but was admitted to MIT i.e Massachussetts Institute of Technology. There he did his bachelor's in Math .

>>>>Presumably, the IIT's are looking for some baseline knowledge in all three of these areas, for their own reasons. Based on your statement, MIT does not. Even within american colleges, there is a range in terms of criteria. My son got into one of the UC's he applied to, one private Jesuit school (with a partial ride), Purdue and one private school wait-listed him. Cal Poly said no. I am not sure any of these schools can be faulted because they have criteria that are different from others.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 28, 2012 4:47 pm

Kris wrote:
....one private Jesuit school (with a partial ride),...

BC?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 4:53 pm

Kris wrote:My son got into one of the UC's he applied to, one private Jesuit school (with a partial ride), Purdue and one private school wait-listed him. Cal Poly said no. I am not sure any of these schools can be faulted because they have criteria that are different from others.

Sonny going to college this year? Congrats, Kris. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon May 28, 2012 4:57 pm

Thanks. He will be commuting from home. Not much change from high school (come to think of it, that holds for me too:).

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Kris wrote:Thanks. He will be commuting from home. Not much change from high school (come to think of it, that holds for me too:).

Good for you. Will be saving a lot of $$$ Smile. Good for him. Mom still does the laundry Wink.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon May 28, 2012 5:04 pm

kinnera wrote:
Kris wrote:Thanks. He will be commuting from home. Not much change from high school (come to think of it, that holds for me too:).

Good for you. Will be saving a lot of $$$ Smile. Good for him. Mom still does the laundry Wink.

>>>Those are the perks. I am still getting used to the 'friend, philosopher, guide' one day and 'know-nothing dad' the next. Karma is a b*tch, I tell you. Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 28, 2012 5:13 pm

Kris wrote:
kinnera wrote:

>>>Those are the perks. I am still getting used to the 'friend, philosopher, guide' one day and 'know-nothing dad' the next. Karma is a b*tch, I tell you. Smile

Lol! Your sonny is lucky to have a wise dad like you (for the most part, i.e) Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon May 28, 2012 5:17 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

BC?

>>>No, Xavier. He applied to very few schools outside CA, but he has been getting letters from schools in Oregon, Colorado etc too. I am actually a bit surprised, since his GPA is not all that great, since he goofed off till 10th grade. SAT math was ok, solid in writing. He has been doing concurrent enrollment in college classes for about 5 semesters, which some of these schools must have viewed as AP courses, in their GPA calculation. He had some decent extra curricular stuff as well.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

BC?

>>>No, Xavier. He applied to very few schools outside CA, but he has been getting letters from schools in Oregon, Colorado etc too. I am actually a bit surprised, since his GPA is not all that great, since he goofed off till 10th grade. SAT math was ok, solid in writing. He has been doing concurrent enrollment in college classes for about 5 semesters, which some of these schools must have viewed as AP courses, in their GPA calculation. He had some decent extra curricular stuff as well.

congratulations to your son and to you as well. i am sure it's a relief to have this phase behind you.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 28, 2012 5:46 pm

Kris wrote:
kinnera wrote:

I realize why my grandfather slowly talked less and less and gave very little advice to others.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

BC?

congratulations to your son and to you as well. i am sure it's a relief to have this phase behind you.

>>>Thanks. It was a bit of an emotional roller coaster, with most of it caused by peer group pressure (read, fellow indian parental units, with my wife getting drawn into it, despite my best efforts to preempt it). Anyway, the challenge now is to keep him focused.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 28, 2012 7:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

BC?

congratulations to your son and to you as well. [i]i am sure it's a relief to have this phase behind you.
[i]

Hahaha...You really think so?....not really..... Kris should get a nice summer break and get set for the much bigger challenge...ahead.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Kris wrote:
MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> The Bong kid can ace Physics and Math tests on JEE. But he may hate Chemistry and thus screw up.

>>>>Presumably, the IIT's are looking for some baseline knowledge in all three of these areas, for their own reasons. Based on your statement, MIT does not. Even within american colleges, there is a range in terms of criteria. My son got into one of the UC's he applied to, one private Jesuit school (with a partial ride), Purdue and one private school wait-listed him. Cal Poly said no. I am not sure any of these schools can be faulted because they have criteria that are different from others.

Hm... Cal Poly is a a Pseudo IVY State School (if it is San Luis Obispo). Not sure where you are LA or Mylapore, CA. He agreed to commute? I am surprised. Riverside? Irvine? Davis?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon May 28, 2012 11:54 pm

Kris wrote:
>>>Thanks. It was a bit of an emotional roller coaster, with most of it caused by peer group pressure (read, fellow indian parental units, with my wife getting drawn into it, despite my best efforts to preempt it). Anyway, the challenge now is to keep him focused.

i hate the indian community's meddling and intrusive ways. my fondest wish is to completely ignore them and do my own thing; easier said than done though because i'm not the only parent. and i know exactly what you mean. i have a niece who is going through this exact thing.

i wish i could give my kids the same luxury of completely ignoring their peers that i had in my final years of high school. nothing mattered to me except what i thought was important in my intellectual inner life. to hell with what the neighbors' kids and my classmates were doing. and the great thing is that my parents were able to give me that luxury because they were quite naive about higher education.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 12:10 am

congratulations kris! my older goes to college this year too.

kapil sibal delivers. Bong kid in Germany solves  Newton's 300 year old puzzle 459784477 it is not the end of coaching schools yet but from next year there will be a common jee for ALL pvt. and public engg. colleges with weightage given to board results. blabberwock gave me some inside info. a few days ago that aieee might become a pre-qualifying exam for iit-jee. by jove, her info was right!

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120529/jsp/frontpage/story_15544962.jsp#.T8RL8MWgyZE

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 29, 2012 12:10 am

here are some more mathematical details of what shouryya ray did in case you are interested:

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/150242/teenager-solves-newton-dynamics-problem-where-is-the-paper
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 29, 2012 12:14 am

who the fuck is kapil sibal and why are the IITs kowtowing to this fat politician/bureaucrat? why have they lost their spine?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 29, 2012 12:20 am

from the article HK posted:

First, the IITs will assess candidates on
the basis of the JEE Main and their Class XII marks, giving equal
weightage to both. Around 50,000 students, nearly five times the number
of IIT seats, will be selected through this preliminary screening and
become eligible for admission.

However, their
rank on the merit list would depend solely on their performance in the
tougher JEE Advanced, which will be handled by the IITs’ Joint Admission
Board, which conducted the IIT-JEE. (The JEE Main will be overseen by
an academic group with representatives from the IITs, NITs, IIITs and
state governments, and will receive administrative and logistical
support from the CBSE.)

this is quite close to what i had guessed in another thread: (https://such.forumotion.com/t6390-iit-jee-changes#50323)
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 12:25 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:congratulations kris! my older goes to college this year too.

kapil sibal delivers. Bong kid in Germany solves  Newton's 300 year old puzzle 459784477 it is not the end of coaching schools yet but from next year there will be a common jee for ALL pvt. and public engg. colleges with weightage given to board results. blabberwock gave me some inside info. a few days ago that aieee might become a pre-qualifying exam for iit-jee. by jove, her info was right!

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120529/jsp/frontpage/story_15544962.jsp#.T8RL8MWgyZE

Of course, my info will always be right because I have the right sources. :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 29, 2012 12:27 am

looks like the IIT faculty have gone back to the jellyfish stage of their ontogeny.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 12:33 am

blabberwock wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:congratulations kris! my older goes to college this year too.

how about some stock tips ma'm on chat and only to me? if i make substantial gains i'll export ganpath ram to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 12:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:from the article HK posted:

First, the IITs will assess candidates on
the basis of the JEE Main and their Class XII marks, giving equal
weightage to both. Around 50,000 students, nearly five times the number
of IIT seats, will be selected through this preliminary screening and
become eligible for admission.

However, their
rank on the merit list would depend solely on their performance in the
tougher JEE Advanced, which will be handled by the IITs’ Joint Admission
Board, which conducted the IIT-JEE. (The JEE Main will be overseen by
an academic group with representatives from the IITs, NITs, IIITs and
state governments, and will receive administrative and logistical
support from the CBSE.)

this is quite close to what i had guessed in another thread: (https://such.forumotion.com/t6390-iit-jee-changes#50323)

in fact the iit did have a two stage screening through exams for a good number of years! they had a pre-qualifying round and then the iit-jee. for some reason they disbanded it 4/5 years ago!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 29, 2012 12:55 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

i hate the indian community's meddling and intrusive ways. my fondest wish is to completely ignore them and do my own thing; easier said than done though because i'm not the only parent. and i know exactly what you mean. i have a niece who is going through this exact thing.

i wish i could give my kids the same luxury of completely ignoring their peers that i had in my final years of high school. nothing mattered to me except what i thought was important in my intellectual inner life. to hell with what the neighbors' kids and my classmates were doing. and the great thing is that my parents were able to give me that luxury because they were quite naive about higher education.

>>>>> I know what you mean. My dad asked me when I went back to India the first time exactly what my grad degree entailed. My only suggestion is that when you get to that point, avoid all indian parties.. I am serious. The kids will turn out fine as they grow organically into their interests , of course with some practical guidance along the way. With many in the indian parent circuit, it is a game of one-upmanship among themselves. My son's high school which has a high asian/indian segment even screened a documentary about this stress. He told us it was for both the students and the parents and thought we should have gone. We missed it, but the drama was over by then, anyway.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 1:06 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

how about some stock tips ma'm on chat and only to me? if i make substantial gains i'll export ganpath ram to you.

Can Ganpath Ram make good pavakkai pitlai?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 29, 2012 1:14 am

Hm..come to think of it. Never asked or listened to anyone's advice be it for me, my kids, my grandkids. I searched info myself, browsed and browsed, read everything about anything related to college and various specialties and fields, requirements, admission procedures, costs, and follow up on graduation. Coming from a hard-headed family, no one listens to anyone in my family and everyone knows what they want to do, and one common trait in the family - not succumbing to anything even remotely called peer pressure....for good or bad.

Of course, I rarely tell anyone about any of the plans - friends or relatives (including close family) - until everything is done and accomplished. This vastly minimizes any interference or influence from outsiders.

In short, it is sometimes better not to discuss sensitive family matters in parties.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 2:17 am

blabberwock wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

Can Ganpath Ram make good pavakkai pitlai?

Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 29, 2012 3:54 am

>>Just saw this. Thanks. Is your son still trying out for the Singapore schools? My cousin's son in India got into NUS and looks like my brother (also in India) is encouraging his son in that direction. We heard from nanyang- my son didn't make the cut. He was very lukewarm to the idea and it was a long shot anyway.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 4:07 am

yes he is still trying for NUS and NTU. if he gets in, that will be his first preference. his one friend has got admission to NUS with full aid under early decision program. in my son and his other friends' cases, they will know by 20th june only. also, i just found out that they make you sign a bond. if you sign the bond, your tuition fees stand reduced and you have to work in singapore for some years after finishing studies. if you do not sign the bond, you are exempt from this rule but pay full tuition fees.

right now he has got into manipal inst. of tech. and rv college of engineering, bengalaru. he is getting his desired stream (electronics and communication) only in the latter -- so that is where he will go if NUS & NTU turn his application down. my kid too will most likely not make the cut for NUS or NTU -- let's see. his friends who scored 90% in boards are still hanging. my kid scored 85%.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 29, 2012 4:23 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yes he is still trying for NUS and NTU. if he gets in, that will be his first preference. his one friend has got admission to NUS with full aid under early decision program. in my son and his other friends' cases, they will know by 20th june only. also, i just found out that they make you sign a bond. if you sign the bond, your tuition fees stand reduced and you have to work in singapore for some years after finishing studies. if you do not sign the bond, you are exempt from this rule but pay full tuition fees.

right now he has got into manipal inst. of tech. and rv college of engineering, bengalaru. he is getting his desired stream (electronics and communication) only in the latter -- so that is where he will go if NUS & NTU turn his application down. my kid too will most likely not make the cut for NUS or NTU -- let's see. his friends who scored 90% in boards are still hanging. my kid scored 85%.

>>>Good luck. I heard about the bond too. My cousin thought that was a good idea in that the kid comes out of school with the motivation to jump into the work force. This is what encouraged me too, although for me the angle was exposure to asia which would add to the resume. My son was not that gung ho about it, but I thought this would push him out of his comfort zone. Look at it this way, if your son ends up in bnglr. you get to make frequent trips to dosa heaven Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 4:30 am

Kris wrote: although for me the angle was exposure to asia which would add to the resume.

yes, ditto here.

Look at it this way, if your son ends up in bnglr. you get to make frequent trips to dosa heaven Smile

i've had a lot of friends say that to me in the last one week. Smile you know what, i love bangalore -- childhood memories; i spent 2 whole summers there as a young teen with my parents. most of the old establishments are gone. noteable among them being one revolving restaurant in mg road called topkapi owned by amjad khan. i once puked in its toilets after getting excessively drunk on gin and tonic -- my first instance of throwing up on alcohol. my father had some unconventional methods of raising kids.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 29, 2012 4:41 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Kris wrote: although for me the angle was exposure to asia which would add to the resume.

yes, ditto here.

Look at it this way, if your son ends up in bnglr. you get to make frequent trips to dosa heaven Smile

i've had a lot of friends say that to me in the last one week. Smile you know, what, i love bangalore -- childhood memories; i spent 2 whole summers there as a young teen with my parents. most of the old establishments are gone. noteable among them being one revolving restaurant in mg road called topkapi owned by amjad khan.

>>>My brother has bought a property there and his in-laws still have some property in SM Krishna's neighborhood. He shuttles between chennai and bglr each month - guess it is just a few hours drive. My parents lived there for a few years eons ago and my dad was transferred when I was 6 months old. I have been there a couple of times after that, but didn't spend much time. My dad used to talk about retiring there for the weather, but that didn't come to pass.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 29, 2012 5:26 am

my (deceased) father owned a plot in halol (now we own it). even he did not know its whereabouts for my uncle was carrying its deed in the ill fated A320 flight of bangalore, 1990. maybe in my future trips to bangalore i might be able to trace it. i need to learn dakhini to be able to converse with the land records office goons. if i find and sell it, it will probably foot the higher education bill of both my kids. this is going to be an adventure.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next