Hindi film Aradhana had created a sensation in Tamil Nadu - Page 3 Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hindi film Aradhana had created a sensation in Tamil Nadu

+7
Merlot Daruwala
Hellsangel
Maria S
Idéfix
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Hindi film Aradhana had created a sensation in Tamil Nadu - Page 3 Empty Re: Hindi film Aradhana had created a sensation in Tamil Nadu

Post by b_A Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:44 pm

Rashmun wrote:This data is irrelevant because the number 1 state in terms of 'assessed tax revenues'--Maharashtra--also has the largest number of farmers' suicides.

UP might be economically less wealthy as compared to some of the other Indian states, but culturally it is perhaps the most important of all the Indian states. It was in UP, for example, that the Upanisads were composed. It was in UP also where the Budha gave his first public sermon and where he died; he was born very close to the UP border in modern Nepal. UP is also associated with Lord Krishna, Radha, Balarama (Mathura, Vrindavan, Barsana, Govardhana hill, etc.) and Lord Rama (Chitrakoot, Kamadgiri hill, etc.). UP is also home to one of the most sacred of all spots to hindus--the Sangam at Prayag--which is the confluence of the Ganga and the Yamuna rivers.

Besides the religious places and monuments, UP is also home to the Taj Mahal which the whole world has heard of and knows about.

Furthermore, UP was in the forefront of the struggle in the Indian war of independence in 1857. In contrast, other states like modern day AP (ruled by the Nizams) preferred to collaborate and collude with the British.
And it is in UP that IAS officers try to molesting women.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/up-ias-officer-accused-of-molesting-woman-sent-to-jail-for-14-days/296930-3-242.html

b_A

Back to top Go down

Hindi film Aradhana had created a sensation in Tamil Nadu - Page 3 Empty Re: Hindi film Aradhana had created a sensation in Tamil Nadu

Post by Guest Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:09 pm

100 posts! gasp!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 pm

panini press wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Rashmun wrote: Overall, 15 of 28 States showed worse averages in the second eight years. Across the entire 16 years from 1995-2010, more than a quarter of a million Indian farmers have committed suicide.

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/columns/sainath/article2687160.ece

Of the 1.8 mill suicides in India during this period, a mere 250K i.e. 14% were by farmers, way below their representation in the general population.
This is because farmers are not as poor as businessmen, politicians, housewives and students.

So? How is a farmer's suicide any more tragic than an urban slumdweller's? Or more deserving of policy attention?

I would think a disproportionately lower incidence of suicide in the agriculturist cohort wouldn't be a source of concern. Even conceptually, village communities afford stronger support systems to a troubled individual. Policy-makers should worry more about the uprooted, socially-alienated urban poor who lack that support and are more likely to commit suicide in the face of sheer hopelessness.

But no, every politician and populist bleeding heart uses farmer suicides to beat up an incumbent government. The pols do it for the votes of course. And the others are just victims of that whole Gandhian populist propaganda we are all raised on, of how villagers are the salt of the earth, their pain is our pain etc.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:19 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:100 posts! gasp!

That's the Rashmun effect at work.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:29 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
panini press wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Rashmun wrote: Overall, 15 of 28 States showed worse averages in the second eight years. Across the entire 16 years from 1995-2010, more than a quarter of a million Indian farmers have committed suicide.

Of the 1.8 mill suicides in India during this period, a mere 250K i.e. 14% were by farmers, way below their representation in the general population.
This is because farmers are not as poor as businessmen, politicians, housewives and students.

So? How is a farmer's suicide any more tragic than an urban slumdweller's? Or more deserving of policy attention?

I would think a disproportionately lower incidence of suicide in the agriculturist cohort wouldn't be a source of concern. Even conceptually, village communities afford stronger support systems to a troubled individual. Policy-makers should worry more about the uprooted, socially-alienated urban poor who lack that support and are more likely to commit suicide in the face of sheer hopelessness.

But no, every politician and populist bleeding heart uses farmer suicides to beat up an incumbent government. The pols do it for the votes of course. And the others are just victims of that whole Gandhian populist propaganda we are all raised on, of how villagers are the salt of the earth, their pain is our pain etc.
Sir, I was being facetious. If anything, students who commit suicide due to ragging, failure in exams or broken hearts usually tend to be financially better off than farmers who commit suicide due to crop failure. I was just applying Rashmun's logic connecting suicide to poverty in response to your question. Smile
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 am

panini press wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
panini press wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Sir, I was being facetious. If anything, students who commit suicide due to ragging, failure in exams or broken hearts usually tend to be financially better off than farmers who commit suicide due to crop failure. I was just applying Rashmun's logic connecting suicide to poverty in response to your question. Smile

My bad. Serves me right for parachuting into the middle of a 100-post debate without reading any of the prior posts.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:40 am

Rashmun wrote:My (as yet incomplete) response to sandilya, max, samiyaar and others:

http://sulekha.forumotion.com/t47-some-general-comments-on-indian-culture#90s

A continuation of my response:

http://sulekha.forumotion.com/t59-some-general-comments-on-indian-culture-part-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:58 am

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:My (as yet incomplete) response to sandilya, max, samiyaar and others:

http://sulekha.forumotion.com/t47-some-general-comments-on-indian-culture#90s

A continuation of my response:

http://sulekha.forumotion.com/t59-some-general-comments-on-indian-culture-part-2

Part 3 of my response:

http://sulekha.forumotion.com/t60-some-general-comments-on-indian-culture-part-3#121

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:From the point of view of Hinduism, UP is far more important than either AP or Tamil Nadu. Likewise from the point of view of Budhism. And the most famous monument in India is in UP.
All of which has exactly zilch to do with the original question: is UP poorer than MH, TN, AP, etc. and does that have anything to do with spare time for cultural pursuits for its residents? What matters now is the current economic status. After flailing around with GDP, farmer suicides, MPI, etc., you acknowledged that UP is poorer: "UP might be economically less wealthy as compared to some of the other Indian states." That's the point that Max was trying to make.

that discussion is done and dusted. rashmun lost that one although he didn't graciously acknowledge it. he is now trying to salvage some historical pride for his home state.

Max, i have not yet even begun answering the question of whether the average UPwalah has as much spare time as the average tamilian which is why he does not take as much interest in classical music as the average tamilian. I have not even attempted to address this issue. I will though. But not in this thread. It deserves a fresh thread.

http://sulekha.forumotion.com/t61-reply-to-a-tamilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Rashmun copy-pastes Bhaskar Ghose who wrote:True, in some parts of this country, there are mushairas and kavi sammelans where poets recite their works, often to large appreciative audiences. But that happens largely in northern India; one is not aware of similar gatherings of poets in the south.
Who is worse? The one who is ignorant, or the other who relies too much on the ignorant one's word?

http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/08/stories/2008040852260200.htm
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:03 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun copy-pastes Bhaskar Ghose who wrote:True, in some parts of this country, there are mushairas and kavi sammelans where poets recite their works, often to large appreciative audiences. But that happens largely in northern India; one is not aware of similar gatherings of poets in the south.
Who is worse? The one who is ignorant, or the other who relies too much on the ignorant one's word?

Let us modify Bhaskar Ghose's statement and state that mushairas and kavi sammelans take place on a much larger and grander scale in north india, in states like UP, than in south india, in states like AP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:06 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Let us modify Bhaskar Ghose's statement and state that mushairas and kavi sammelans take place on a much larger and grander scale in north india, in states like UP, than in south india, in states like AP.
I don't have all day to show you that you are wrong. So you can modify any statement and make up any "fact" that you'd like. Just know it, that you are wrong on this one. Just like you were when you had confidently claimed many times that UP had only recently overtaken MH in sugarcane production, when I was showing you data to the contrary. That was one day I wasted, and don't want to waster another one.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:12 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

I don't have all day to show you that you are wrong. So you can modify any statement and make up any "fact" that you'd like. Just know it, that you are wrong on this one. Just like you were when you had confidently claimed many times that UP had only recently overtaken MH in sugarcane production, when I was showing you data to the contrary. That was one day I wasted, and don't want to waster another one.

Only recently you were happily chirping your rubbish about how per capita GDP is a component of the Multi-dimensional Poverty Index (MPI). I had to explain details of how the MPI is calculated to make you stop your nonsense. With respect to sugarcane production vs sugar production, i immediately rectified and clarified my error after i went back to the news articles which discussed this issue. But you did not have the decency to rectify your mistake.

Last edited by Rashmun on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Only recently you were happily chirping your rubbish about how per capita GDP is a component of the Multi-dimensional Poverty Index (MPI). I had to explain details of how the MPI is calculated to make you stop your nonsense. With respect to sugarcane production vs sugar production, i immediately rectified and clarified my error after i went back to the news articles which discussed this issue. But you did not have the decency to rectify your mistake.

On another note, Bhaskar Ghose is no ordinary man. He is the former Director General of Doordarshan. If mushairas and kavi sammelans would have been taking place on a grand scale in South India it is inconceivable that he would have remained unaware of their existence. It is only because they are taking place on a miniature scale in South India, as compared to the ones taking place in North India, that he remained unaware of their existence.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:25 pm

panini press wrote:I don't have all day to show you that you are wrong.
you used to have all day - literally - for the most juvenile arguments and fights. what changed? has the company chained you to your desk, unchaining you only when you have to use the rest room? bonus last year = 0, as i had predicted? FAIL?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:bonus last year = 0, as i had predicted?
I am sorry to disappoint you, old pal.

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:FAIL?
Yes, your "prediction" was FAIL!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:Only recently you were happily chirping your rubbish about how per capita GDP is a component of the Multi-dimensional Poverty Index (MPI).
I never claimed that per-capita GDP is a component of MPI! I claimed that MPI should be used alongside per-capita to get an understanding of relative poverty levels. Unfortunately for you, Uttar Pradesh is far behind southern India on both of those measures, so your introduction of MPI into the conversation made absolutely no difference to the point being made.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:39 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Only recently you were happily chirping your rubbish about how per capita GDP is a component of the Multi-dimensional Poverty Index (MPI).
I never claimed that per-capita GDP is a component of MPI! I claimed that MPI should be used alongside per-capita to get an understanding of relative poverty levels. Unfortunately for you, Uttar Pradesh is far behind southern India on both of those measures, so your introduction of MPI into the conversation made absolutely no difference to the point being made.

Sad to see you brazenly lying now:

https://such.forumotion.com/t8163-hindi-film-aradhana-had-created-a-sensation-in-tamil-nadu#61710

Too bad you got caught.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

https://such.forumotion.com/t8163-hindi-film-aradhana-had-created-a-sensation-in-tamil-nadu#61710

Too bad you got caught.
Carefully read what I said. Just like you misread what I said about sugarcane production and kept repeating falsehoods, you are doing the same thing here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

Too bad you got caught.
Carefully read what I said. Just like you misread what I said about sugarcane production and kept repeating falsehoods, you are doing the same thing here.

Carefully read again what you yourself wrote. Repeating falsehoods will not change the fact that you wrongly thought that Amartya Sen includes per-capita GDP in his indicator of poverty (he doesn't).

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Amartya Sen argues against using GDP as an indicator of poverty.
He doesn't. He argues against using per-capita GDP as the sole indicator of poverty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Carefully read what I said. Just like you misread what I said about sugarcane production and kept repeating falsehoods, you are doing the same thing here.

Carefully read again what you yourself wrote. Repeating falsehoods will not change the fact that you wrongly thought that Amartya Sen includes per-capita GDP in his indicator of poverty (he doesn't).

panini press wrote:
He doesn't. He argues against using per-capita GDP as the sole indicator of poverty.
I didn't say here that MPI includes GDP. I said Sen doesn't argue against using GDP, but he argues (in the article that you posted) against using only GDP.

Rashmun wrote:his indicator of poverty
MPI is not Sen's indicator. It was developed by other researchers.

The new MPI was developed and applied by OPHI with UNDP support and supplants the HPI. Sabina Alkire and Maria Emma Santos designed the MPI using a technique for multidimensional measurement created by Sabina Alkire and James Foster.

http://www.ophi.org.uk/multidimensional-poverty-index/background/
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:49 pm

panini press wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:Carefully read what I said. Just like you misread what I said about sugarcane production and kept repeating falsehoods, you are doing the same thing here.

panini press wrote:
I didn't say here that MPI includes GDP. I said Sen doesn't argue against using GDP, but he argues (in the article that you posted) against using only GDP.

Rashmun wrote:his indicator of poverty
MPI is not Sen's indicator. It was developed by other researchers.

The new MPI was developed and applied by OPHI with UNDP support and supplants the HPI. Sabina Alkire and Maria Emma Santos designed the MPI using a technique for multidimensional measurement created by Sabina Alkire and James Foster.

http://www.ophi.org.uk/multidimensional-poverty-index/background/

The new MPI was developed using the ideas of Amartya Sen and it has been endorsed by Amartya Sen. Sen does argue against using per capita GDP as as estimate of poverty, and hence you were wrong earlier when you claimed the reverse.

---------

but a recent poverty index based on the work of Nobel laureate Amartya Sen, Lamont University Professor and professor of economics and philosophy, raises that number to 1.71 billion.....“This dollar-a-day measure doesn’t take into account many variations that influence the conversion of income into good living,” Sen points out. He offers the example of the victims of the recent floods in Pakistan: their reduced income would be noted, but the difficulties they face during resettlement, he says—the deleterious effects on education and on the availability of proper medical care—“would not be captured in an income measure like GDP per capita” (the metric commonly used by economists). “All these would be captured in a properly multidimensional measure.”

http://harvardmagazine.com/2011/01/who-is-poor

--------

The MPI, developed using the ideas of Sen and endorsed by Sen, does not include per capita GDP in its calculation. Thus you were wrong when you claimed that per capita GDP is also taken into account by Sen in estimating poverty. "He argues against using per-capita GDP as the sole indicator of poverty" as you put it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 am

Alright - let me confess.

I watched a lot of hindi serials on doordarshan while at Chennai (Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi, Nukkad, Hum Log, Khandaan, a show with Kittu Gidwani based on Austen's Pride and Prejudice etc) and *gulp* enjoyed them too. They created quite a sensation among a lot of us southern indians.

Oh, I, along with a bunch of other tamilian girls, also watched the movies "Hero" and QSQT multiple times. They created a lot of 'sensations' too.

There, I said it. I feel lighter.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:40 am

ayyo! you are hereby firmly booted from the sacred iyer fraternity. there is no room for appeal for you, you understand, so don't even think along those lines.

blabberwock wrote:(Yeh Jo Hai Zindagi, Nukkad, Hum Log, Khandaan, a show with Kittu Gidwani based on Austen's Pride and Prejudice etc)
i did not know that that air hostess show was based on pride and prejudice. i watched only one or two episodes 'cos i thought kittu looked pretty. i watched to confirm and was disappointed. actually most of these shows ran while i was away in college. i remember watching only YJHZ religiously during the summers when i would be home. i had a serious crush on swaroop sampat (i thought she was the most attractive of them all) and the show was a riot. YJHZ and jaane bhi do yaaron (movie) are remembered by me as classics in comedy from that period. i haven't seen hero -- will now. it's a bit funny, i just realized, how many of the bollywood actresses that i find really attractive are marathi mulgis: (in a descending order of preference): swaroop sampat, isha koppikar, madhuri dixit, smita patil, urmila matondkar, archna joglekar.

i also notice that your tastes in movies have one downhill since the mid 80's. perhaps you are subconsciously trying to ingratiate with the iyers back again? keep trying but you will always be FAIL!

FAIL!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 am

HK, I was very young and misguided when these atrocities happened, ok?

I am no FAIL - bah!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:57 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ayyo! you are hereby firmly booted from the sacred iyer fraternity. there is no room for appeal for you, you understand, so don't even think along those lines. ...FAIL!

Yes, your fall from grace is complete and final. Your only hope of redemption now lies in solving even more complex algebraic / geometrical problems, preferably using iyer-certified lagrange multipliers. Better still, start posting youtube videos of obscure carnatic vocalists, specially addressed to the powers that be. And oh yes, instead of flirting with mushroom tarts and such, pics of authentic pavakkai pitlai taken from different angles, at different stages of preparation will win you some merits.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:00 am

blabberwock wrote:HK, I was very young and misguided when these atrocities happened, ok?

I am no FAIL - bah!

Gasp. You're taking the Rashmun defence??!! Five more demerits from the Supreme Iyer Council!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:02 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:ayyo! you are hereby firmly booted from the sacred iyer fraternity. there is no room for appeal for you, you understand, so don't even think along those lines. ...FAIL!

Yes, your fall from grace is complete and final. Your only hope of redemption now lies in solving even more complex algebraic / geometrical problems, preferably using iyer-certified lagrange multipliers. Better still, start posting youtube videos of obscure carnatic vocalists, specially addressed to the powers that be. And oh yes, instead of flirting with mushroom tarts and such, pics of authentic pavakkai pitlai taken from different angles, at different stages of preparation will win you some merits.
lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:15 am

- let me confess.

>>>>Alright, 50 hail marys out the chute! This Hindian ingratiation is no small matter.

Oh, I, along with a bunch of other tamilian girls, also watched the movies "Hero" and QSQT multiple times.

>>>>>Who? Who? Do tell! KV was one of them, wasn't it? I knew it, I knew it. That lady doth protest too much!

>>>>So now you have had your catharsis. What about the rest of us, with this burden you have unloaded on us? This horrible secret. Never mind, we will soldier on. Courage,men, Courage!

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:31 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Indeed, the fall is complete. I hope vee unkil doesn't take this too hard. After so many years of pursuit, now to learn that it was all inauthentic from the very beginning.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:16 am

Kris wrote:-

>>>>>Who? Who? Do tell! KV was one of them, wasn't it? I knew it, I knew it. That lady doth protest too much!

She may have been one of them, for all I know. These were authentic Thamizhar women, born in Madras and raised on thayir sadam and vadu mangai. We all attended paaTTu classes, wore our paTTu paavadais and sang at koLus for sunDal and such.

HK,MD, PP, Fiddle de dee to y'all! TCH Iyer mama will still like me lots, so there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:54 pm

blabberwock wrote:
Kris wrote:-

She may have been one of them, for all I know. These were authentic Thamizhar women, born in Madras and raised on thayir sadam and vadu mangai. We all attended paaTTu classes, wore our paTTu paavadais and sang at koLus for sunDal and such.

HK,MD, PP, Fiddle de dee to y'all! TCH Iyer mama will still like me lots, so there!

>>>You left out 'Hindi' class. I recall the type quite well. One offered to 'slipper' my friend Badri while she was on her way to 'Pattu' class. It was a downward spiral for Sir Badri after that who ended up becoming a lawyer.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:13 pm

i am terribly tempted to post an entire chat transcript i had with blabberwock yesterday about her hindi education but i will wait till tomorrow to consult my lawyer if i would be invading someone's privacy and thus be liable to being prosecuted. but more important than my lawyer is my whisky which i trust more. i will go consult it now. but i will give a gist meanwhile: she used to listen to vividh bharati and watch chitrahar quite religiously. and, of course, the cricket commentary on radio/tv where she had no choice for the commentary alternated between hindi and english. she recalls, and i quote, "aur ye balla ghumaya aur gaind boundary ke bahar! chouka! chakka!!" and hearing these words, this pretty girl's heart would burst into happiness if india was batting. i think my lawyer will not want to carry on taking me as his client when i call him tomorrow. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:27 pm

i also run the risk of being booted from her chat channel but that is a minor complication and i can deal with it. bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3