toop metkuT bhaat (food)  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

toop metkuT bhaat (food)

+2
indophile
Another Brick
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

toop metkuT bhaat (food)  Empty toop metkuT bhaat (food)

Post by Another Brick Wed May 25, 2011 9:13 am

rice + toop (ghee) + metkuT + salt = gimme more.
rice + toop (ghee) + metkuT + salt = capital.
rice + toop (ghee) + metkuT + salt = golden.
rice + toop (ghee) + metkuT + salt = awesome.

recipe of metkuT here. your friendly neighborhood patel may have readymade packs of it.

try it; you won't be disappointed.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

toop metkuT bhaat (food)  Empty Re: toop metkuT bhaat (food)

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 9:22 am

We have a similar thing in Andhra- similar as in it is also a powder made with dal but is much less fussy , very few ingredients. We call it gunpowder. steaming hot rice + kandi podi + ghee = heaven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 9:38 am

i was wondering what metkut is. i know what gunpowder is. is this gunpowder? this seems to have a proportion of rice in it too. i have never had rice with any powder. i will try this out and maybe take pics. too. let me see if my local store carries metkut.

edit. it never struck me that rice could be eaten with gunpowder and ghee. tomorrow it shall be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 10:23 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i was wondering what metkut is. i know what gunpowder is. is this gunpowder? this seems to have a proportion of rice in it too. i have never had rice with any powder. i will try this out and maybe take pics. too. let me see if my local store carries metkut.

edit. it never struck me that rice could be eaten with gunpowder and ghee. tomorrow it shall be.

it is not gunpowder. it sounds more like that curry powder/masala that is used in brinjal curry. i have seen people throw in a few rice grains in the masala although we dont make it that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 25, 2011 12:12 pm

nutmeg wrote:We have a similar thing in Andhra- similar as in it is also a powder made with dal but is much less fussy , very few ingredients. We call it gunpowder. steaming hot rice + kandi podi + ghee = heaven

They have some of these powders (kandipodi, nuvvupodi, telakapindi kaaram, dhaniyaala kaarappodi, karimepaaku podi, vaamu podi, etc., and lehyams (gooey non-dry stuff) like korivikaaram, kottimeera kaaram, etc., in the North Karnataka area too (Dharwar, Belgaum, Bijapur, Hubli).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 25, 2011 4:18 pm

Another Brick wrote:rice + toop (ghee) + metkuT + salt = gimme more.
rice + toop (ghee) + metkuT + salt = capital.
rice + toop (ghee) + metkuT + salt = golden.
rice + toop (ghee) + metkuT + salt = awesome.

recipe of metkuT here. your friendly neighborhood patel may have readymade packs of it.

try it; you won't be disappointed.

Rot in hell for this,brick man Sad Made me crave for some now.. Patel powder is no match to ma ki haath ka ban a powder..
Have you made godsu using your methkut powder btw?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 12:52 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i was wondering what metkut is. i know what gunpowder is. is this gunpowder?

i do not know what gunpowder is. sounds like an LTTE delicacy. but going by nutmeg's comparison, it perhaps is not.

tiana wrote:Rot in hell for this,brick man Made me crave for some now.. Patel powder is no match to ma ki haath ka ban a powder..
Have you made godsu using your methkut powder btw?

do you have your mother's recipe? try it. can't come out worse than patel's metkuT. Smile

i do not know what godsu is, but i will not look for its recipe on google. when i was a kid and sick, i would invariable eat toop metkuT bhaat.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 1:15 am

Another Brick wrote:i do not know what gunpowder is. sounds like an LTTE delicacy. but going by nutmeg's comparison, it perhaps is not.

trivia: prabhakaran was extremely fond of chinese food. he used to have chinese food almost everyday. non veg of course.

edit. are you sick right now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 1:47 am

no, i am not. but i ate it two nights ago anyway.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 3:46 am

ok, metkut is not available locally. kids are in mumbai and returning the day after. just asked them to get lots of it. if i eat this and fall sick -- man, you're gonna be in my foe list for ever. btw, what's the technique? pour ghee on rice and sprinkle metkut and mix? i ask 'cos i've never eaten rice with powder.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 4:06 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:if i eat this and fall sick -- man, you're gonna be in my foe list for ever. btw, what's the technique? pour ghee on rice and sprinkle metkut and mix? i ask 'cos i've never eaten rice with powder.

if you fall sick, then you should eat metkuT bhaat again. Smile

you mix ghee to rice, then some metkuT and then some salt. it won't be dry because of ghee. hope you like it. you might want to suggest your kids to get a small pack first.

it is a simple dish (if you can call it one) yet delicious.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:12 am

no small pack. as it is i love gunpowder (meaning chana dal powder) and i can see that i will love this. another one of my comfort foods is a bengali preparation that is as simple: boiled rice, a boiled potato, mashed with fiery hot mustard oil and salt. too good for the soul.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:33 am

Sounds like the assorted paruppu podis(lentil powder) we Thamizhars (my fav sulekha word) make, usually eaten mixed with rice along with some ghee/oil. There is also one made with curry leaves.

I don't care for all such poDis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:36 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:no small pack. as it is i love gunpowder (meaning chana dal powder) and i can see that i will love this. another one of my comfort foods is a bengali preparation that is as simple: boiled rice, a boiled potato, mashed with fiery hot mustard oil and salt. too good for the soul.

Gun powder is what's used with dosais and idlis, I thought.

I don't know why it is called so but that's not eaten with rice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:40 am

so poDi = powder in tamil and telugu. wonder why folks started preserving dals in poDi form (i cannot immediately recall such a practise in the north).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:41 am

blabberwock wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:no small pack. as it is i love gunpowder (meaning chana dal powder) and i can see that i will love this. another one of my comfort foods is a bengali preparation that is as simple: boiled rice, a boiled potato, mashed with fiery hot mustard oil and salt. too good for the soul.

Whats used in dosa/idli is kaarappodi. Not gunpowder. Gunpowder is lentil powder (toor dal) eaten with rice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:41 am

blabberwock wrote:I don't know why it is called so but that's not eaten with rice.

https://such.forumotion.com/t825-toop-metkut-bhaat-food#7239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:42 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:so poDi = powder in tamil and telugu. wonder why folks started preserving dals in poDi form (i cannot immediately recall such a practise in the north).

Maybe there was a drought and they htought of a cool way to get protein into their diets?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:45 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:so poDi = powder in tamil and telugu. wonder why folks started preserving dals in poDi form (i cannot immediately recall such a practise in the north).

I don't think the intent was preservation but more a quick, instant meal for lazy/busy people. Many a grad student have survived on these poDis. Make rice, add oil/ghee, mix with poDi and eat with chips.

They are not just dals but a combination of flavourful ingredients.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:50 am

nutmeg wrote: Gunpowder is lentil powder (toor dal) eaten with rice.

hey, whatreu tawging??? i just checked top 4/5 google hits for gunpowder recipe. they are all chana dal based!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:54 am

nutmeg wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

Whats used in dosa/idli is kaarappodi. Not gunpowder. Gunpowder is lentil powder (toor dal) eaten with rice.

I thought the chilli powder that's used with idlis/dosais is called gunpowder. Maybe in AP, it means something else? Mr.vahrehvah agrees with me.

http://www.vahrehvah.com/Gun+Powder+-Milaga+podi:4258

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:06 am

blabberwock wrote:I thought the chilli powder that's used with idlis/dosais is called gunpowder.

that is also how i am familiar with it.

mr. varevah can't be wrong.

edit. we will wait for nutmeg to use her phone-a-mummy lifeline.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:15 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
blabberwock wrote:I thought the chilli powder that's used with idlis/dosais is called gunpowder.

edit. we will wait for nutmeg to use her phone-a-mummy lifeline.

LOL. how did you know?i was actually going to call my mom.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:23 am

telekinesis. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 26, 2011 5:35 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
nutmeg wrote: Gunpowder is lentil powder (toor dal) eaten with rice.

hey, whatreu tawging??? i just checked top 4/5 google hits for gunpowder recipe. they are all chana dal based!

Indeed sir, gunpowder aka milaga podi aka chutney pudi is based on chana dal and urad dal roasted and powdered along with other ingredients such as red chili, hing, copra (optional), tamarind (optional) and curry leaves (optional).
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 5:40 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:another one of my comfort foods is a bengali preparation that is as simple: boiled rice, a boiled potato, mashed with fiery hot mustard oil and salt. too good for the soul.

Oh Calcutta! has my business soon. i am going to go for a buffet lunch one of these weekends.

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:we will wait for nutmeg to use her phone-a-mummy lifeline.

hahaha.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Thu May 26, 2011 5:47 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

mr. varevah can't be wrong.

except when he says vaarevaah daat kaam.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 3:06 am

what does "bath" in bisi bele bath mean? rice? in maharashtra, rice is called bhaat (as clear in this thread). in the east also, rice is called bhaat. where else is rice called bath or bhaat?

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri May 27, 2011 4:04 am

yes, i think bath = bhaat. and people thought daughter-ko-lekar-bath-taker was dirty. it only insinuated that they ate together.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 4:31 am

what is bath/bhaat called in tamil, telugu and malayalam? sadam in tamil (thayir sadam)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri May 27, 2011 4:41 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what does "bath" in bisi bele bath mean? rice? in maharashtra, rice is called bhaat (as clear in this thread). in the east also, rice is called bhaat. where else is rice called bath or bhaat?

In Karnataka, bhaath refers to some variety of spiced-up rice (pulav, tomato rice, tamarind rice, bisibele rice..even curd rice), not plain rice. The base need not even be rice. A greasy combination of upma and sheera is called chau-chau bhaath at those little self-service eating joints dotting Bangalore.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 4:46 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what is bath/bhaat called in tamil, telugu and malayalam? sadam in tamil (thayir sadam)?

it is generally annam in telugu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 27, 2011 4:47 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:what does "bath" in bisi bele bath mean? rice? in maharashtra, rice is called bhaat (as clear in this thread). in the east also, rice is called bhaat. where else is rice called bath or bhaat?

In Karnataka, bhaath refers to some variety of spiced-up rice (pulav, tomato rice, tamarind rice, bisibele rice..even curd rice), not plain rice. The base need not even be rice. A greasy combination of upma and sheera is called chau-chau bhaath at those little self-service eating joints dotting Bangalore.

upma and sweet mixed up?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 am

nutmeg wrote:upma and sweet mixed up?

Haha..no, not mixed up. It's a blob each of upma and sheera sitting next to each other in a small plate.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 10:54 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:wonder why folks started preserving dals in poDi form (i cannot immediately recall such a practise in the north).

sattu is ground and roasted chana dal (whole). i am getting the sinking feeling that this metkut and gunpowder is nothing but sattu and rice. sattu is not eaten with rice but that is what i am going to attempt now. yes there is hing ving also in there, i know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 1:10 pm

i just returned from a dinner with a friend who is an expert on these subjects. i learnt that there are some pulses that are all but lost to us now: madua and khasiyari. the latter was notably a tribal pulse. i am making this post to bookmark it to return to it later.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 2:54 am

toop, metkuT, rice (anticlockwise from top)

toop metkuT bhaat (food)  Imag0016

toopmetkuTricesalt
toop metkuT bhaat (food)  Imag0017

= comfort food. *bliss*

trivia: i checked with a few people. various dals and cereals are routinely roasted and powdered in the north. sattu is a generic term. you can have maize sattu, gram sattu or kUtU sattu. then you have besan. in bihar, powdered cereal is eaten with rice and ghee -- i think postO or poppy seeds powder. powdering dals and cereals is an ancient tradition. it affords convenience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun May 29, 2011 3:07 am

Nice presentation and pictures. You have a bright future ahead in food writing.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Sun May 29, 2011 3:44 am

i am going to eat some of it in a few hours.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun May 29, 2011 4:00 am

AB, do you use metkoot for anything else? Is this like a goda masala that is added to various curries?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 am

no, as far as i know, metkut is used only with rice. although i don't know how goda masala is prepared, i know it looks a lot different from metkut. i may take some knowledge transition from my wife and come back to this thread later.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30, 2011 3:44 am

had toop, metkuT, bhaat again for lunch today. this time i had used slightly overcooked rice (as i had seen in a net recipe). overcooked rice becomes pasty and the mixture does not feel dry at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon May 30, 2011 3:51 am

hmm, i like dry rice and i pour toop (ghee) to make it easy to swallow.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30, 2011 3:55 am

i like it both ways. the mekuT will last till tomorrow since the whole family is eating it. so tomorrow will be toop, metkuT, bhaath once again till the next time we make metkuT.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30, 2011 11:34 am

Isnt ghee called tuppada in kannada? strong likeness to toop ( in marathi, i presume?)

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 30, 2011 11:56 am

It's tuppa. Which is not too far from toop.

There is a fairly high degree of overlap between what is known as Halegannada (medieval Kannada) with Marathi. Not suprising since various Karnataka-based empires like the Chalukyas, Hoysalas, Rashtrakutas etc ruled over lands now called Maharashtra as well.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:42 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:It's tuppa. Which is not too far from toop.

There is a fairly high degree of overlap between what is known as Halegannada (medieval Kannada) with Marathi. Not suprising since various Karnataka-based empires like the Chalukyas, Hoysalas, Rashtrakutas etc ruled over lands now called Maharashtra as well.

interesting. *btw, halegannada sounds like hellsananda*

i suffered withdrawal symptoms today and i hastily had metkuT made this evening. from tomorrow it is again going to be toop metkuT bhaath eweRRyday -- for a week. hopefully by then i will be over my obsession with this preparation. i fear i might be turning brahmin and vegetarian. i have also decided that i prefer it with slightly overcooked rice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:47 am

haLe = ಹಳೆ = old
haLe + kannada = halegannada = ಹಳೆಗನ್ನಡ
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:18 pm

time to try it again. will post pics. to elongate this thread.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:27 pm

ahhh marathi food and the love-hate. guess i may never get to eat those any more. *will live*

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next