what would be  Hitskin_logo Hitskin.com

This is a Hitskin.com skin preview
Install the skinReturn to the skin page

Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what would be

+5
Merlot Daruwala
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Hellsangel
.|Sublime|.
Impedimenta
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

what would be  Empty what would be

Post by Impedimenta Sat May 28, 2011 8:35 am

...a good breakfast to kick start today? given that i am up from 5:00 working, i need a pick me up..

PS1: this post is to make sure everyone here knows that i am working today. i am basically pissed off and want to complain in a decent way...ya.
Ps2: if i get no responses, that means everyone else is out having fun. in that case, evil bite yo ass (c) jolly old man

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

what would be  Empty Re: what would be

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat May 28, 2011 8:43 am

let it go on record that you brought this upon yourself....
for breakfast, i suggest 2 soft mallipoo idlis with perfect tasting coconut chutney and hotel sambar. also a side of one ulundu vadai - crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

P.S. saw your quinoa post. here are some more quinoa recipes for you to try. there is also a link in one of the comments.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/if-youre-keen-on-quinoa/

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sat May 28, 2011 8:49 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:let it go on record that you brought this upon yourself....
for breakfast, i suggest 2 soft mallipoo idlis with perfect tasting coconut chutney and hotel sambar. also a side of one ulundu vadai - crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

P.S. saw your quinoa post. here are some more quinoa recipes for you to try. there is also a link in one of the comments.
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/if-youre-keen-on-quinoa/

woman!!! thank god, i detest idlis and hate vadais. but but but, the quinoa is my current rage:-) thanks for the website. what's plans for the weekend subbi?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat May 28, 2011 9:02 am

Impedimenta wrote:
woman!!! thank god, i detest idlis and hate vadais. but but but, the quinoa is my current rage:-) thanks for the website. what's plans for the weekend subbi?

funny thing, while growing up I prefered dosais to idlis. now, it is the reverse.

just back from a break of sorts, so going to be home relaxing and yea ... definitely not working Smile

do you get to work all weekend long or is it only today?

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 9:12 am

keen wah is too phoren for me. i will wait till chef wah re wah incoprates it in one of his video tutorials.

my evening snack was chana and moth with tomatoes, green chillis, onions, coriander, salt, lime:

what would be  Imag0015

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat May 28, 2011 9:33 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:keen wah is too phoren for me. i will wait till chef wah re wah incoprates it in one of his video tutorials.

my evening snack was chana and moth with tomatoes, green chillis, onions, coriander, salt, lime:

looks nice. here is an interesting way to eat your protein - southie style

http://www.aayisrecipes.com/2010/11/16/spicy-chickpeaschana-usli/

what would be  Devasthana-chane-usli

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat May 28, 2011 9:38 am

I had my breakfast at 2 AM. I need to figure out my 2nd breakfast.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat May 28, 2011 9:44 am

Hellsangel wrote:I had my breakfast at 2 AM. I need to figure out my 2nd breakfast.

what did you eat at 2 am and why?

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat May 28, 2011 9:50 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:I had my breakfast at 2 AM. I need to figure out my 2nd breakfast.

what did you eat at 2 am and why?
I had an omelette with wheat toast and potatoes and coffee. I had dinner at 7 pm and bar hopping after that.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 10:21 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:here is an interesting way to eat your protein - southie style

http://www.aayisrecipes.com/2010/11/16/spicy-chickpeaschana-usli/

what would be  Devasthana-chane-usli

looks interesting. i had heard the term usli before but was not sure what it connoted to. though not a very big snacks guy, i'ill try it out.

tell me something. earlier today i was discussing this metkuT recipe with my wife. i told her that it was just like gunpowder. she said no it wasn't 'cos gunpowder had chickpeas or chola. that had me stumped. i knew gunpowder involved chickpeas but that the term "chana dal" if often used to mean "chola" (apart from the "chana dal" it is more commonly used to mean) and to make matters more complicated, in bengal, "cholar dal" means a dal made of chana dal. now tell me 2 things:

(i) isn't chickpeas the base for gunpowder?
(ii) in the metkuT recipe that i linked, is it chana dal or chickpeas? (we plan on making metkuT tonight so it's urgent Smile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 28, 2011 10:47 am

Impedimenta wrote:...a good breakfast to kick start today? given that i am up from 5:00 working, i need a pick me up..

PS1: this post is to make sure everyone here knows that i am working today. i am basically pissed off and want to complain in a decent way...ya.
Ps2: if i get no responses, that means everyone else is out having fun. in that case, evil bite yo ass (c) jolly old man

You are not the only one who had to get up very early. I also had to get up early today (@ 10.30 EDT).

Here is a great breakfast - think of it for next time. Murugalaana Dosai (Onion Roast) + Medhu vadai (Sambhar + Chutney)+ a little kesari + Filter Kaappee.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 11:12 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
(ii) in the metkuT recipe that i linked, is it chana dal or chickpeas? (we plan on making metkuT tonight so it's urgent Smile)

ok. found my answer. as per wikipedia, all chanas are chickpeas. so all chana varieties can be used interchangeably -- it doesn't make a difference. there are 2 varieties locally: desi chana or bengal gram (the smaller one) AND the kabuli chana or garbanzo beans or chola. we will use desi chana for making metkuT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 11:21 am

Impedimenta wrote:...a good breakfast to kick start today? given that i am up from 5:00 working, i need a pick me up..

"Taking it to the Cloud, eh"? :-)

If you're not too far away from Dosa Express in Edison/Iselin, go for anything on their menu but, end it with an obbattu and coffee...

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat May 28, 2011 11:30 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
You are not the only one who had to get up very early. I also had to get up early today (@ 10.30 EDT).

Here is a great breakfast - think of it for next time. Murugalaana Dosai (Onion Roast) + Medhu vadai (Sambhar + Chutney)+ a little kesari + Filter Kaappee.

was this delivered under the tree? nice tree.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat May 28, 2011 11:34 am

Hellsangel wrote:
..and bar hopping after that.

so pics? i am mainly interested in the steins/glasses

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sat May 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
tell me something. earlier today i was discussing this metkuT recipe with my wife. i told her that it was just like gunpowder. she said no it wasn't 'cos gunpowder had chickpeas or chola. that had me stumped. i knew gunpowder involved chickpeas but that the term "chana dal" if often used to mean "chola" (apart from the "chana dal" it is more commonly used to mean) and to make matters more complicated, in bengal, "cholar dal" means a dal made of chana dal. now tell me 2 things:

metkut seems similar to kandi podi or parupu podi. i am not a big fan but the latter is a pantry staple in tambram households. mix it with rice and sesame/gingely/til oil or ghee.
gun powder is a name given to idli/dosai powder or karam podi by north indians. it is also dal based but heavier on red chilies. kannadigas make chutney podi which lies somewhere in between the two in terms of spice.
gunpowder is eaten with idli and dosai and not mixed with rice.
chickpeas is not the base for any of these powders. chana dal and urad dal are.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat May 28, 2011 12:19 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:metkut seems similar to kandi podi or parupu podi.

Yes, but the addition of dhania, jeera, nutmeg and ginger in the recipe should give it a very different flavor from any of the South Indian podis.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 12:54 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Yes, but the addition of dhania, jeera, nutmeg and ginger in the recipe should give it a very different flavor from any of the South Indian podis.

yes, you are absolutely right. the metkuT is ready. the lunch is awaited.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sat May 28, 2011 1:05 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Yes, but the addition of dhania, jeera, nutmeg and ginger in the recipe should give it a very different flavor from any of the South Indian podis.

yes, you are absolutely right. the metkuT is ready. the lunch is awaited.

sounds good! i just made some awesome ravai/semiya upma with cashews and vegies and having it with tomato chutney. yummy. i got 1 more hour of work and then i am a free bird....beach, here is come!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 1:35 pm

lol. somehow i hate everything rava save for perhaps the rava dosa. but i hate that too now after i tasted it in mtr, bangalore.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 28, 2011 1:38 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

was this delivered under the tree? nice tree.

Of course, everything comes straight from Adyar Ananda Bhavan delivered to my abode under Adyar Alamaram.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Sat May 28, 2011 1:42 pm

I am not going to reply with any suggestions to this post. I know women. Any suggestion will either be rejected outright or with some lame excuses or just quietly ignored.

Instead, I express my ardent sympathy and empathy for your condition. Are you working in the office or from home? If you are working from home, I will withdraw some of my sympathy, as someone who has worked many a late night and weekends from home.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 28, 2011 2:34 pm

LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Sat May 28, 2011 2:57 pm

SomeProfile wrote:I am not going to reply with any suggestions to this post. I know women. Any suggestion will either be rejected outright or with some lame excuses or just quietly ignored.

Instead, I express my ardent sympathy and empathy for your condition. Are you working in the office or from home? If you are working from home, I will withdraw some of my sympathy, as someone who has worked many a late night and weekends from home.

Somebody just got over the writer's block. Let it flow, don't block her thoughts.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat May 28, 2011 4:53 pm

what would be  Imag0415
Are the cheese Dosas legit? Notice the missing 'i'?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat May 28, 2011 9:05 pm

McDonalds usually opens at 5:00am tongue

PS: I have been working too. However, I can never understand the psych of the folks that complain about work (a man gotta do what a man gotta do), long weekends are pretty good time to get a lot done though.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun May 29, 2011 1:25 am

Hellsangel wrote:

amazing isnt it - how the discussions in here affect our observation power Smile
i bet as soon as you saw that menu, you thought of FF

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 1:32 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:chickpeas is not the base for any of these powders. chana dal and urad dal are.

i beg to differ. there is no difference between chickpeas (kabuli chana or garbanzo) and bengal gram (chana dal) insofar as taste is concerned. the only difference is that chickpeas have a higher glycemic index so chana dal is a healthier alternative.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun May 29, 2011 1:36 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

amazing isnt it - how the discussions in here affect our observation power Smile
i bet as soon as you saw that menu, you thought of FF

FF Unkil has been particularly influential in this regard. Flying back from HK a couple of days back, I was surrounded on all sides by a noisy gaggle of desi tourists returning from some 5D/4N Far Eastern package tour. Pre-CH, I might have not given it much thought. But infected by the virus of prejudice that abounds on this forum, I took note that the said tourists were mainly of Northindian extraction, incl Gujjus, who promptly hugged each other in the midst of all the chaos at the baggage claim area and made promises to visit each along the lines of i'm-your-friend-na-my-house-is-your-house-na etc.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun May 29, 2011 1:45 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
.|Sublime|. wrote:chickpeas is not the base for any of these powders. chana dal and urad dal are.

i beg to differ. there is no difference between chickpeas (kabuli chana or garbanzo) and bengal gram (chana dal) insofar as taste is concerned.

The metkoot-makers would agree with you - they happily substitute chana dal with kala chana etc.

But the various podi-makers are made of sterner stuff. No kala chana or kabuli chana for them - why, the names themselves reek of Northindianness...
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 1:49 am

ha ha. that may be true with regard to poDis but the chana usli madam .|sublime|. references to above is kabuli chana. Very Happy *ingratiation much*

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun May 29, 2011 1:56 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: Very Happy *ingratiation much*

Of course. Subbi (haha!) is of Telugu extraction - she probably puts fried cubes of paneer in her pulusu.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 2:04 am

oh, she's of telugu extraction? i thought she was tambrahm. my bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun May 29, 2011 10:42 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

i beg to differ. there is no difference between chickpeas (kabuli chana or garbanzo) and bengal gram (chana dal) insofar as taste is concerned. the only difference is that chickpeas have a higher glycemic index so chana dal is a healthier alternative.

how can you say there is no difference in taste between chickpeas and chana dal? chickpeas has a more earthy taste and chole would taste very un-choleish if you substitute chana dal for chickpeas. and i doubt if chickpeas can be used in dal powders.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 11:54 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:how can you say there is no difference in taste between chickpeas and chana dal? chickpeas has a more earthy taste

hmmm. ok, let's argue -- this is fun. maybe you will stop noticing the difference in taste between kabuli chana (chickpeas) and bengal gram (chana dal) when you realize that both are chickpeas and both are the same species. it is like saying langDa mango tastes different from alphonso mango. yes it does but if i blindfold you and feed you a slice of each, i'll bet you won't be able to tell the difference. if i remove the blindfold and give you mango ice cream, you will not be able to tell if it was alphonso or langDa that you just tasted. remember, we are talking about ground, roasted dal.

chole would taste very un-choleish if you substitute chana dal for chickpeas

i don't know. i will have to try this out. the bengal gram is richer in fibre plus there is the visual and mouthful taste factor too.
i will blindfold myself and taste chana-batura. i will report the events (is a doctor here who can certify that i am mad? we are missing maria s).

and i doubt if chickpeas can be used in dal powders.

oh yes it can. it can and will be used to make gunpowder. what you are saying is that you cannot make hummus with bengal gram. you can and it will taste the same.

coming to my household, the recipe my wife uses is that of my mother's. my mother was gifted in matters cooking (as i am sure your mother is/was). she wrote down all her recipes -- an unheard of thing among women of her generation. and she learnt this recipe (for gunpowder) from a tambrahm lady who was her best friend for a large part of her life. i know both woman intimately enough to declare with certainty that the tambrahm lady used to use chickpeas to make her gunpowder.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Sun May 29, 2011 12:21 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
.|Sublime|. wrote:chole would taste very un-choleish if you substitute chana dal for chickpeas

i don't know. i will have to try this out. the bengal gram is richer in fibre plus there is the visual and mouthful taste factor too.
i will blindfold myself and taste chana-batura. i will report the events (is a doctor here who can certify that i am mad? we are missing maria s).

i would think chickpeas would have more fiber content than chana dal since the former has an outer layer.

would be interesting to see how chana dal bhatura would taste. but i do not plan to make humus with chana dal anytime soon.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 29, 2011 12:37 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:i would think chickpeas would have more fiber content than chana dal since the former has an outer layer.

you make a good point. even after cooking chole the whole skin remains. then it becomes a question of volume/density/size and sometimes even the polluted(!) water (i have no reason to believe you are using polluted water...but these days...one can never be sure\certain\kentucky/fried/chicken). so you are right..though i will tend to disagree (and that does not mean i disagree\agree\beejees). so you\i am right. : )

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun May 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Of course. Subbi (haha!) is of Telugu extraction

subbu or subbulu would be more appropriate

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon May 30, 2011 12:54 am

so, i gather that metkuT is available in south india. iyers and iyengars have been eating that since ages. i must mention that metkuT is a brahmin-only recipe in MH. a non-brahmin kid would be scratch if you asked him if he has had metkuT-bhaat for lunch.

some months ago, i had recommended a recipe which i thought was a MH-brahmin specialty. spinach/any other green veggie mixed with buttermilk. uppili promptly told me that it is available in TN. it is perhaps a tambrahm thing. what's the connection between TN and MH?

who wants to write a letter to IIT/IISc to pursue a research on this topic?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30, 2011 1:03 am

LOL. yes, i gathered it was a brahmin food when i was reading up on metkuT on the net. but my condolences to you: it's good but it is not virginal -- the iyers/iyengars have been there done that, lol.

even i am curious about the TN/MH connection.

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon May 30, 2011 1:15 am

but my condolences to you: it's good but it is not virginal -- the iyers/iyengars have been there done that, lol.

Sad

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 30, 2011 1:40 am

Another Brick wrote:so, i gather that metkuT is available in south india. iyers and iyengars have been eating that since ages. i must mention that metkuT is a brahmin-only recipe in MH. ....what's the connection between TN and MH?

Very simple. The Marathas ruled over TN and as has been the case with Brahmins anywhere in India, TamBrahms quickly adopted whatever the ruling classes practiced.

So when ambitious local Brahmins noticed the Puneri Brahmins of the court wax eloquent over metkoot bhaath, they went into IM (ingratiation-much) overdrive and adoped the practice.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon May 30, 2011 1:43 am

ouch, MD, ouch. tambrahms copying northindian brahmins? swords will be out now.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 30, 2011 1:46 am

There's more. TamBrahms have never satisfactorily explained how some of them came to have grey/green eyes (eg: Vasundara Das)...
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon May 30, 2011 1:59 am

even kobras in MH have to painfully explain that. kobras are believed to have migrated to the coastal regions of India from somewhere in Europe. i don't know much about history, but i don't see why that wouldn't be possible. the other version has never convinced me because i would imagine british to have a jolly good time with all communities, not just kobras. very rarely will you see a non-kobra having cat-eyes in MH and that could very well be the result of some hanky-panky in the old days.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30, 2011 2:20 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:There's more. TamBrahms have never satisfactorily explained how some of them came to have grey/green eyes (eg: Vasundara Das)...

so vasundra das is tambrahm? i had thought she's bengali. "das" is also a tambrahm surname? *these hebbarnis...*

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Mon May 30, 2011 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 30, 2011 2:21 am

The Kobra story is a plausible one because there were many entirely endogamous groups that migrated down from Kashmir / North West at the time of the Islamic invasions and made their way down the coast. This could explain eye-colors, facial features and complexions not very common in the peninsula.

But for this to hold true for TamBrahms, they'll then have to acknowledge that they too were migrants - as Rashmunni has been insisting. Max and Co would rather jump into the Bay of Bengal than acknowledge kinship with the Trivedis and Upadhyays.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 30, 2011 2:22 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:But for this to hold true for TamBrahms, they'll then have to acknowledge that they too were migrants - as Rashmunni has been insisting. Max and Co would rather jump into the Bay of Bengal than acknowledge kinship with the Trivedis and Upadhyays.

ha ha ha. resistance is futile!

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon May 30, 2011 2:34 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:The Kobra story is a plausible one because there were many entirely endogamous groups that migrated down from Kashmir / North West at the time of the Islamic invasions and made their way down the coast. This could explain eye-colors, facial features and complexions not very common in the peninsula.

But for this to hold true for TamBrahms, they'll then have to acknowledge that they too were migrants - as Rashmunni has been insisting. Max and Co would rather jump into the Bay of Bengal than acknowledge kinship with the Trivedis and Upadhyays.

right. it does not have to be europe, it could as well be from somewhere in northindia. btw, even i thought v das was a bengali.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 30, 2011 3:09 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:But for this to hold true for TamBrahms, they'll then have to acknowledge that they too were migrants - as Rashmunni has been insisting. Max and Co would rather jump into the Bay of Bengal than acknowledge kinship with the Trivedis and Upadhyays.

ha ha ha. resistance is futile!

I also like the phrase which follows: all your bases are belong to us!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum