Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

S. Janaki refuses Padma Bhushan - KV/MAX/JM/Rashmun

+8
confuzzled dude
southindian
Rishi
Vakavaka Pakapaka
goodcitizn
MaxEntropy_Man
pravalika nanda
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
12 posters

Go down

S. Janaki refuses Padma Bhushan - KV/MAX/JM/Rashmun Empty S. Janaki refuses Padma Bhushan - KV/MAX/JM/Rashmun

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 am

...."I'm saddened by the fact that north India has been given more prominence than south India. I'm extremely disappointed and I refuse to accept the award," Janaki said. The 74-year old veteran made her singing debut in 1957 Tamil film 'Vidhiyin Vilayattu'. She has crooned over 15,000 songs in a career spanning five decades across all southern languages and in Hindi.

Woww...Saw an interview of heron TV last month. So down to earth, homely-type female, still with that great voice, humility, etc..

Hard to believe that such a soft woman could show such grit.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

S. Janaki refuses Padma Bhushan - KV/MAX/JM/Rashmun Empty Re: S. Janaki refuses Padma Bhushan - KV/MAX/JM/Rashmun

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:33 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:...."I'm saddened by the fact that north India has been given more prominence than south India. I'm extremely disappointed and I refuse to accept the award," Janaki said. The 74-year old veteran made her singing debut in 1957 Tamil film 'Vidhiyin Vilayattu'. She has crooned over 15,000 songs in a career spanning five decades across all southern languages and in Hindi.

Woww...Saw an interview of heron TV last month. So down to earth, homely-type female, still with that great voice, humility, etc..

** what humility is it that you snub a govt. award. the govt is recognizing SIs, otherwise she wouldn't have gotten it. are we going to have languae-based quotas here. yes, she's soft in the head, her gray matter is melting. this could be the early signs of dementia.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ....)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

S. Janaki refuses Padma Bhushan - KV/MAX/JM/Rashmun Empty Re: S. Janaki refuses Padma Bhushan - KV/MAX/JM/Rashmun

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:57 am

i liked her as much as i liked the mangeshkar woman, which is not at all. she too had an ear piercing voice which is characteristic of nearly all indian women who have sung playback in movies. i like her stance on turning this award down, but it doesn't make me like her music any more or any less. why don't they have shruti sadolikar type voices in movies?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:01 am

i guess this kind of a voice won't work for either of the woods, bolly or kolly.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:42 am

There is a bias, citing singers as an example. The highest award Bharat Ratna was given to Lata Mangeshkar in 2001. In 2008, Asha Bhosle received Padma Vibhushan which is higher than P. Susheela's Padma Bhushan awarded the same year. In what way is P. Susheela who has sung in more Indian languages than anyone else and who had a superb singing voice less deserving of the higher awards? S. Janaki has been singing for decades and never received national recognition until now. She has every reason to reject it saying she deserved better recognition sooner citing such a bias.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:49 am

Her response is understandable. The hype that Hindi is important and that only NI participated in independence movement, etc., are examples of how NIs behave (and get away with giving less importance to SI). These days, SI is leading in development in almost all fields. This should reflect in the awards at the national level, but it doesn't. It is time that not just those in TN, but also in other parts (including Dakhin-Telangana LOL) start asserting themselves.

Hmm... I am thinking like FF!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:52 am

I seriously believe that South India will be better off being an independent country. Having the baggage of all NI backwardness removed, it will quickly develop into a modern nation.

I think because of people like KV who are so far out in their quest for independent TN which is totally unviable, SI is pushed around by the NIs.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:53 am

goodcitizn wrote:There is a bias, citing singers as an example. The highest award Bharat Ratna was given to Lata Mangeshkar in 2001. In 2008, Asha Bhosle received Padma Vibhushan which is higher than P. Susheela's Padma Bhushan awarded the same year. In what way is P. Susheela who has sung in more Indian languages than anyone else and who had a superb singing voice less deserving of the higher awards? S. Janaki has been singing for decades and never received national recognition until now. She has every reason to reject it saying she deserved better recognition sooner citing such a bias.

I agree. Sucheela should have been treated at par with Lata.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:46 pm

She is bitter and crying sour grapes.

She has lost it because of bitterness.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:07 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

** what humility is it that you snub a govt. award. the govt is recognizing SIs, otherwise she wouldn't have gotten it. are we going to have languae-based quotas here. yes, she's soft in the head, her gray matter is melting. this could be the early signs of dementia.

You should've listened to her interview before making these comments, your perception of her memory/intelligence. She felt this as an insult, as it took them so long (nearly 60 years) to recognize her work. She was clearly upset that only Lata Mangeshkar, her contemporary, is good enough to be bestowed with Bharata Ratna and none of the playback singers from South who sung in multiple languages deemed fit. Also, she was not happy with the mindset that classical singers are better qualified for Bharatha Ratna than the playback singers. As great as those classical singers are, to the untrained ear of mine, Janakis, Ghanatasalas and Mohd. Rafis of the world are more versatile than M.Ss and Bala Muralis.

These awards have merely become popularity contests, there is no value attached to them. Take a look at the bodies of work of Rajesh Khanna and Bapu, there is no comparison but Bapu has been named for a token Padma Sri while Kaka is honored with Padma Bhushan, weird.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:09 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Emiti saar, emanna guDhArtham undA induloo.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:There is a bias, citing singers as an example. The highest award Bharat Ratna was given to Lata Mangeshkar in 2001. In 2008, Asha Bhosle received Padma Vibhushan which is higher than P. Susheela's Padma Bhushan awarded the same year. In what way is P. Susheela who has sung in more Indian languages than anyone else and who had a superb singing voice less deserving of the higher awards? S. Janaki has been singing for decades and never received national recognition until now. She has every reason to reject it saying she deserved better recognition sooner citing such a bias.

why are you calling her sucheela? do you also say balamurali krichna?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

why are you calling her sucheela? do you also say balamurali krichna?
Pardon his French.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Cd,
it is unfair to compare bapu with rajesh khanna. I will oppose any move to honor bapu.gov should honor bapu only with mullapudi venkataramana,'s name attached. That is probably the best director writer combination ever in tollywood. May be in india. Their originality in creating budugu, rendu jadala seetha, and appa rao is unparalled. Their best effort is rao gopal rao's character in mutyala muggu.
The unfortunate part of their work is it remains limited to telugu speaking people. I hope someone can find a way to take these.stories to rezt of the world.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 pm

truthbetold wrote:Cd,
it is unfair to compare bapu with rajesh khanna. I will oppose any move to honor bapu.gov should honor bapu only with mullapudi venkataramana,'s name attached. That is probably the best director writer combination ever in tollywood. May be in india. Their originality in creating budugu, rendu jadala seetha, and appa rao is unparalled. Their best effort is rao gopal rao's character in mutyala muggu.
The unfortunate part of their work is it remains limited to telugu speaking people. I hope someone can find a way to take these.stories to rezt of the world.

That was my point. I was trying to cite that as an example as to how slanted these awards are.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:59 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Emiti saar, emanna guDhArtham undA induloo.

lEdu lEdu. Just a sp mistake. She was great in her days.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:48 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:...."I'm saddened by the fact that north India has been given more prominence than south India. I'm extremely disappointed and I refuse to accept the award," Janaki said. The 74-year old veteran made her singing debut in 1957 Tamil film 'Vidhiyin Vilayattu'. She has crooned over 15,000 songs in a career spanning five decades across all southern languages and in Hindi.

keech keech maami of the south.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:49 pm

bw wrote:

keech keech maami of the south.

lol!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:47 pm

Our family refused a top level scientific research poistion in India because we did not want tro contribute to Indian weaponse development.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down