Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hindustani influences in carnatic music

+4
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Idéfix
goodcitizn
MaxEntropy_Man
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

hindustani influences in carnatic music - Page 2 Empty Re: hindustani influences in carnatic music

Post by Guest Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:14 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

I think Rashman was teased a lot as a kid coz of his stuttering. He found his voice online and fancies himself a great debater now.

I was a terrible stutterer till the 10th standard and was subjected to a lot of ridicule. I was so upset with my speech impediment that I decided to face it one day by participating in the school's oratorical contest. I recited the "Impeachment Of Warren Hastings" by Edmund Burke and stammered repeatedly but never once thought of quitting. The audience started to clap seeing me struggle, yet fight. That was a great moment for me in helping me eventually overcome my handicap. I won the consolation prize in the debate and still have the small cup on my bookshelf as a reminder of the struggle and shame during my boyhood days. Today people who know me would be hard pressed to believe I was a stutterer. But that is the truth. I can fully empathize with Rashmun on that front.
+1

same for my older and same for sharukh khan and hritikh roshan

Question to GC and HK, did speech therapists help in any way? Or was the condition eliminated entirely through self-therapy?

I overcame it on my own. I focused on the words or sounds that would cause me to stutter. I'd go up on the terrace and practice saying them. Slowly I grew in confidence. My kid brother also stuttered but not as much as I did. (I was accused of having influenced him as a toddler!). Once I started to overcome my stuttering, so did he. Much of stuttering is attributable to the mind working faster than the tongue. Slowing the process down and getting rid of the anxiety worked for me. And for my brother as well.

This may be of some interest to you:

http://www.mnsu.edu/comdis/kuster/wade.html

Back to top Go down

hindustani influences in carnatic music - Page 2 Empty Re: hindustani influences in carnatic music

Post by b_A Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:02 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
panini press wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:mr.agenda has no interest in music whatsoever, just like he has no interest in dance whatsoever. there is only one reason why he participates in these threads.
Or languages. Or history. I am not sure if he has a real interest in the strong men he worships*, or if that's agenda-driven too. <br /><br />* Not that there is anything wrong with that.
as the moon waxed and waned ten times, powerful vacuums were applied** in both directions. now the merger is complete! the two are now one. there is nothing but the One. all that is seen is The One; all that is unseen is also The One.<br /><br />** not that there's anything wrong with that.

What , who is "The One" ?
How did the moon come into picture ? What is the significance of ten times?

scratch

Did I miss any recent/old discussion ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:39 am

Rashmun wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
panini press wrote:Good thread. Thanks for posting the Youtube videos in particular, Max. I find this cross-pollination between the two classical music traditions of India much more fascinating than the agenda-driven nonsense we are often subjected to here.

I think Rashman was teased a lot as a kid coz of his stuttering. He found his voice online and fancies himself a great debater now.

I was a terrible stutterer till the 10th standard and was subjected to a lot of ridicule. I was so upset with my speech impediment that I decided to face it one day by participating in the school's oratorical contest. I recited the "Impeachment Of Warren Hastings" by Edmund Burke and stammered repeatedly but never once thought of quitting. The audience started to clap seeing me struggle, yet fight. That was a great moment for me in helping me eventually overcome my handicap. I won the consolation prize in the debate and still have the small cup on my bookshelf as a reminder of the struggle and shame during my boyhood days. Today people who know me would be hard pressed to believe I was a stutterer. But that is the truth. I can fully empathize with Rashmun on that front.
+1

same for my older and same for sharukh khan and hritikh roshan

Question to GC and HK, did speech therapists help in any way? Or was the condition eliminated entirely through self-therapy?
my older took speech therapy classes as a kid -- did not work. it vanished in college when he was made to speak before large audiences in his english class. now he hardly stammers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:54 am

b_A wrote:
panini press wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:mr.agenda has no interest in music whatsoever, just like he has no interest in dance whatsoever. there is only one reason why he participates in these threads.
Or languages. Or history. I am not sure if he has a real interest in the strong men he worships*, or if that's agenda-driven too. <br /><br />* Not that there is anything wrong with that.
as the moon waxed and waned ten times, powerful vacuums were applied** in both directions. now the merger is complete! the two are now one. there is nothing but the One. all that is seen is The One; all that is unseen is also The One.<br /><br />** not that there's anything wrong with that.

scratch

Perhaps he is talking about a personal spiritual journey that began 10 months ago. I am speculating, but the One may be how they refer to an omnipresent, omniscient, omnipotent deity in his subcaste.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:18 am

b_A wrote:
panini press wrote:
Or languages. Or history. I am not sure if he has a real interest in the strong men he worships*, or if that's agenda-driven too.

* Not that there is anything wrong with that.
as the moon waxed and waned ten times, powerful vacuums were applied** in both directions. now the merger is complete! the two are now one. there is nothing but the One. all that is seen is The One; all that is unseen is also The One.

** not that there's anything wrong with that.

scratch

Kindly allow me unravel this mystery.

JM = Keisuke Miyagi (the teacher)

Rashmun = Daniel LaRusso (the karate kid)

Daniel: Hey - you ever get into fights when you were a kid?
Miyagi: Huh - plenty.
Daniel: Yeah, but it wasn't like the problem I have, right?
Miyagi: Why? Fighting fighting. Same same.
Daniel: Yeah, but you knew karate.
Miyagi: Someone always know more.
Daniel: You mean there were times when you were scared to fight?
Miyagi: Always scare. Miyagi hate fighting.
Daniel: Yeah, but you like karate.
Miyagi: So?
Daniel: So, karate's fighting. You train to fight.
Miyagi: That what you think?
Daniel: [pondering] No.
Miyagi: Then why train?
Daniel: [thinks] So I won't have to fight.
Miyagi: [laughs] Miyagi have hope for you.

Miyagi: Your friend, all karate student, eh?
Daniel: Friend? Oh, yeah, those guys.
Miyagi: Problem: attitude.
Daniel: No the problem is, I'm getting my ass kicked every other day, that's the problem.
Miyagi: Hai, because boys have bad attitude. Karate for defense only.
Daniel: That's not what these guys are taught.
Miyagi: Hai - can see. No such thing as bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do.

(Max = 1948 DeSoto. PP= 1952 Studebaker)

Miyagi: First, wash all car. Then wax. Wax on...
Daniel: Hey, why do I have to...?
Miyagi: Ah ah! Remember deal! No questions!
Daniel: Yeah, but...
Miyagi: Hai! [makes circular gestures with each hand]
Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important. [walks away, still making circular motions with hands]
Miyagi: Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off.

Miyagi: Go, find balance.
[chuckles]

By waxing on and off 10 times, ONE shiny truth emerges. The cars come out clean. The karate kid is all messy. And Miyagi leaves the scene to meditate on the dual qualities and caste disparities of in and yo.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:30 am

rofl
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2