Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dilemma

5 posters

Go down

dilemma Empty dilemma

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm

when do i go out to blow the snow? wait till it's all done, in which case i may not even be able to open the garage door, or just suck it up and run the blower twice or three times between now and when the snow ends?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

dilemma Empty Re: dilemma

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:when do i go out to blow the snow? wait till it's all done, in which case i may not even be able to open the garage door, or just suck it up and run the blower twice or three times between now and when the snow ends?

While it is snowing the temp is actually pleasant. Better to blow the snow before it piles up. do it a couple of times. Otherwise, your weekend is kaput, and the 3 women will finish you off.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:28 pm

Given the amount of snow expected to fall, do it at least once before it ends.

Have you never done this before, Il Professore?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:30 pm

I have to in the east coast on Monday for a meeting. I wonder if I will be able to fly out.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:33 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Given the amount of snow expected to fall, do it at least once before it ends.

Have you never done this before, Il Professore?

lots of times. but none this heavy in recent memory. i do have a monster snow blower.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:when do i go out to blow the snow? wait till it's all done, in which case i may not even be able to open the garage door, or just suck it up and run the blower twice or three times between now and when the snow ends?

While it is snowing the temp is actually pleasant. Better to blow the snow before it piles up. do it a couple of times. Otherwise, your weekend is kaput, and the 3 women will finish you off.

saamiyaar - since you are the font of all automobile knowledge, have you heard of a tire company called kumho?

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:37 pm

panini press wrote:I have to in the east coast on Monday for a meeting. I wonder if I will be able to fly out.

where in east coast?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:38 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
panini press wrote:I have to in the east coast on Monday for a meeting. I wonder if I will be able to fly out.

where in east coast?
North of the border.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:40 pm

the latter

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:40 pm

about three- four inches right now. will wait till it about doubles before i go out.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:about three- four inches right now. will wait till it about doubles before i go out.
How much snow are you expecting?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:50 pm

panini press wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:about three- four inches right now. will wait till it about doubles before i go out.

2.5 to 3 ft.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
panini press wrote:

2.5 to 3 ft.
Whoa! I guess my flight will get canceled.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:56 pm

I have heard stories that neighborhood children knock on doors and collect 'spending money' by shoveling snow - haven't seen any evidence of it in recent winters. Either collectively they have bargained for better pay at home or parents have been suckered in the past couple of decades.

தன் கையெ தனக்கு உதவி! <sigh>

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:59 pm

atcg wrote:I have heard stories that neighborhood children knock on doors and collect 'spending money' by shoveling snow - haven't seen any evidence of it in recent winters. Either collectively they have bargained for better pay at home or parents have been suckered in the past couple of decades.

தன் கையெ தனக்கு உதவி! <sigh>

People invested in powerful snow throwers.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:05 pm

the whole culture of teenagers mowing lawns and blowing snow to make a few bucks is gone. we have a few young american couples (30s) in our neighborhood. they've all outsourced their snow clearing operations. when i talk to the guys, they all said they've never shoveled for their parents, let alone neighbors, when they were kids. apparently this thing went out two generations ago.

the guys who do their own driveways in my neighborhood are older americans and a few indians.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:05 pm

ok so i thought this thread was about posting our dilemmas in life.

here's mine - as much as i like it here and all my friends are here, i'm thinking should i move to someplace it snows.

dilemma

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:07 pm

seven wrote:ok so i thought this thread was about posting our dilemmas in life.

here's mine - as much as i like it here and all my friends are here, i'm thinking should i move to someplace it snows.

dilemma
Why would you do that? I hate driving in snow, and I hate the extreme cold that follows a snow storm. When I travel east for work in the winter, I am always relieved to be back in this area.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:47 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

saamiyaar - since you are the font of all automobile knowledge, have you heard of a tire company called kumho?

I never heard of it. So I googled. May be useful for you.

I bought Kumho Ecsta 4X to replace my Kumho Escta AST tires one year ago. Both models provide extremely quiet rides and I love how my car handles dry pavement with both models. However, the Ecsta AST was AWFUL in one inch of snow for my car. My car would fishtail from a dead stop on level pavement (even starting in 2nd gear) and go no where. The Ecsta 4X lets me drive in light snow storms, but my car still fishtails on turns, & has trouble stopping without sliding in less than 5 inches of snow. It doesn't snow many days where I live and I refuse to buy special snow tires when it snows less than 5 days each winter. I am very happy with the performance of these tires in rain & dry pavement, which is the type of weather I deal with 99% of the time.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down