Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dilemma

4 posters

Go down

dilemma Empty dilemma

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:54 am

Is it ok to tell someone this:

I am not a bad listener... I get distracted by your hemming and hawing, and talking in a monodrone...

: and NOT be fired?

Back to top Go down

dilemma Empty Re: dilemma

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:59 am

No. Just ask if you can get an email with the same information(if it is work related)
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:01 pm

Hellsangel wrote:No. Just ask if you can get an email with the same information(if it is work related)

doesn't work...

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:07 pm

You need to understand WHY he hems and haws, why he monodrones. The problem could be with what's in front of him. If you perked up your act a bit, wore interesting clothing and bright red lipstick, maybe he'll get inspired to talk animatedly. A man needs some incentive.

HTH and ju velcum.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:12 pm

He talks like that ALL THE TIME.... I time his pauses.... nothing less than 2 seconds at a time. I have CUT him short even when he was saying something interesting like ' about an ex-girlfriend', and if you know me, I NEVER cut people's stories on exes....

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:49 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote: : and NOT be fired?

At the start of meeting say something like this (if there is more than two in the meeting). "We need a note taker to note meeting minutes. Any volunteers? Of we can do this in a round robin way, one at a time."

If you are meeting only one to one - say the same thing differently. I want to take meeting minutes and if we discuss to the point, it is helpful to me.

It worked for me in group meetings.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:52 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:Is it ok to tell someone this:

I am not a bad listener... I get distracted by your hemming and hawing, and talking in a monodrone...

: and NOT be fired?

>>>> Unless this is a direct report ( to you), no. The solution, if this guy is your boss or some higher up, is to take a yellow pad and jot down whatever seems important. I did have a direct report who'd give so much detail, that I'd get lost before she got to the point. She was a great employee, but this proved to be a big problem. I finally told her, by way of constructive criticism, to tell me first what her point was in a couple of sentences and then back into the details. This actually worked.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down