Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

open poll - southern indians on this board please vote

+13
Idéfix
goodcitizn
southindian
Merlot Daruwala
bw
b_A
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
FluteHolder
nevada
Maria S
confuzzled dude
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

open poll - southern indians on this board please vote Empty open poll - southern indians on this board please vote

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm

+1 if you had heard of the term dakhini prior to rashmun mentioning it on sulekha
-1 if you had not heard of it prior to rashmun's mention of it on sulekha

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

open poll - southern indians on this board please vote Empty Re: open poll - southern indians on this board please vote

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

open poll - southern indians on this board please vote Empty Re: open poll - southern indians on this board please vote

Post by Hellsangel Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:44 pm

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:54 pm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakhini

Dakhini
Dakhini
Deccan
Native to Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Goa
Region Deccan Plateau
Native speakers 11.4 million (2007)[1]
Language family
Indo-European
Indo-Aryan
Central (Hindustani) or Southern
Dakhini
Writing system Urdu alphabet (Nastaʿlīq script), other
Official status
Official language in India, U.A.E
I wonder if people in Dubai have heard of it.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:58 pm

I had not heard about it before, until I read a few posts in on going discussions here.

*And did not read the threads in Sulekha where it was mentioned.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:05 pm

maria forgot to enter a vote, but based on what she has said:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:06 pm

Sure.

-1 (without reading in Sulekha part).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:11 pm

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 pm

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:+1 if you had heard of the term dakhini prior to rashmun mentioning it on sulekha
-1 if you had not heard of it prior to rashmun's mention of it on sulekha
I am sure

I have heard Dakshayini. It certainly is derived from Sanskrit, which also has common links to Dakhni. So, I should say I am not wrong to say that I have heard of Dakshayini and hence Dakhni before Rashmun Saar ji said the D word here on this August forum.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:20 pm

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:37 pm

Oh yeah....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:41 pm

i prefer being a south indian, not a southern indian.

regardless, never heard of dakhini before sulekha.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:51 pm

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/its-all-in-the-shayari/252933-60-133.html

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:01 pm

rashmun you are nine for zero and counting so far wrt to dakhini.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:17 pm

Ok. That settles the matter. Next?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 pm

Who are southern indians? There are southindians as there are northindians.

southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Never heard of Dachini and Cluckni before.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:32 pm

tut tut all you souTHINdians who don't know your own legacy of fowl languages, shame on you all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:tut tut all you souTHINdians who don't know your own legacy of fowl languages, shame on you all.

Too bad. I am starting one 'Dakhini Bharath Dakhini Prachar Sabha' and funds to be given from Central Delhi govt.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:16 pm

The way the question is worded, my answer has to be +1. That is because I heard the term dakhni before. But I did not hear it as the name of a language. So if you intended the question as, "did you hear of the language Dakhni before...," my answer would be no.

The term dakhni in my knowledge prior to these discussions meant an adjective that applies to the Deccan plateau. Dakhni Urdu is a term that is used to describe the Urdu spoken in the Deccan. Aurangzeb the great secular emperor is supposed to have said: dakhni bAmman, khatriyA jAn. This means, "Deccani brahmin is a threat to life." He wasn't referring to the language those Brahmins spoke, but to the area they were from.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:24 pm

panini press wrote:The way the question is worded, my answer has to be +1. That is because I heard the term dakhni before. But I did not hear it as the name of a language. So if you intended the question as, "did you hear of the language Dakhni before...," my answer would be no.

Car, you are now beginning to annoy me by "nitpicking", reminding me of he-who-must-not-be-named.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:40 pm

ok i am counting PP as +1. that's 9-1. in terms of dakhini being well recognized in souTHINdia, that's an EPIC FAIL.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:01 am

panini press wrote:The way the question is worded, my answer has to be +1. That is because I heard the term dakhni before. But I did not hear it as the name of a language. So if you intended the question as, "did you hear of the language Dakhni before...," my answer would be no.

The term dakhni in my knowledge prior to these discussions meant an adjective that applies to the Deccan plateau. Dakhni Urdu is a term that is used to describe the Urdu spoken in the Deccan. Aurangzeb the great secular emperor is supposed to have said: dakhni bAmman, khatriyA jAn. This means, "Deccani brahmin is a threat to life." He wasn't referring to the language those Brahmins spoke, but to the area they were from.

CONwallahs are looking for someone to contest in the 2014 election from Kukatpally (against Jayaprakashnarain). Looks like you are developing all the talent needed to carry suite cases from Kosta to Delhi for the High Command and to run the NREGA program in Telangana. Garibi Hatao!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 am

what's your vote? yea or nay? follow the spirit of the question and not the letter please.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:14 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ok i am counting PP as +1. that's 9-1. in terms of dakhini being well recognized in souTHINdia, that's an EPIC FAIL.
People of Hyderabad are not typical southern Indians when it comes to language. So my prior knowledge does not indicate that the term dakhni is well recognized in southern India. The term may be recognized in pockets in places like Hyderabad, and even there as a geographical adjective not language name.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:30 am

bw wrote:

what's your vote? yea or nay? follow the spirit of the question and not the letter please.
-1 for spirit, +1 for letter.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:30 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

CONwallahs are looking for someone to contest in the 2014 election from Kukatpally (against Jayaprakashnarain). Looks like you are developing all the talent needed to carry suite cases from Kosta to Delhi for the High Command and to run the NREGA program in Telangana. Garibi Hatao!
Guruvu-gaaru, what did I do now to upset you?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 am

panini press wrote:
bw wrote:

that makes your vote 0 - same as your bonus.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:01 am

+1

i always thought urdu was spoken among hyderabadi muslims. it is through sulekha i found that the term dakhini (which is also used to denote a geographical area) is used for the language.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:14 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:ok i am counting PP as +1. that's 9-1. in terms of dakhini being well recognized in souTHINdia, that's an EPIC FAIL.

i don't think south indians are all that thin.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:27 am

panini press wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:

Guruvu-gaaru, what did I do now to upset you?

Upset? No, no, admiration! Silky smooth wording to say ummmmmmm...... not really.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:18 am

bw wrote:
panini press wrote:
bw wrote:

rofl
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:19 am

bw wrote:
panini press wrote:
bw wrote:

Right. And shows that old habit of ingratiating with northindians remains unchanged.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:15 am

dakhini i must say has turned out to be a big fat nothing-ni.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 am

I bet half the folks have not heard about dingal, maithili, magahi, bundeli, kangri etc
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:40 am

artood2 wrote:I bet half the folks have not heard about dingal, maithili, magahi, bundeli, kangri etc

and the status of these "languages" is also the status of dakhini.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
artood2 wrote:I bet half the folks have not heard about dingal, maithili, magahi, bundeli, kangri etc

What does that have to do with anyone hearing about dakhini?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:50 am

artood2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

rashmun has always presented dakhini as one of the major languages spoken in southern india. i wanted to get a sense of how many southern indians have heard of this major southern indian language. turns out not many.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
artood2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

rashmun has always presented dakhini as one of the major languages spoken in southern india. i wanted to get a sense of how many southern indians have heard of this major southern indian language. turns out not many.

People who learn NCERT hindi would not know of all dialects of hindi even if they lived all their lives in hindi heartland. It is hard to expect anybody to consider it anything other than a variant of urdu.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:03 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
artood2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

actually if memory serves, rashmun has gone a lot further with that train of thought. i think he even claimed that dakhini is the forerunner of hindi. others who followed those discussions on sulekha can chip in.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
artood2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

actually if memory serves, rashmun has gone a lot further with that train of thought. i think he even claimed that dakhini is the forerunner of hindi. others who followed those discussions on sulekha can chip in.

For most folks it is still Urdu or Hyderabadi. There is no way for a non-speaker to distinguish the dialects and know their names. There is only going to be one result of this exercise.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:14 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

i always thought urdu was spoken among hyderabadi muslims.
it is through sulekha i found that the term dakhini (which is also used to denote a geographical area) is used for the language.

That is still valid, AFAIK. None of the present day Hyderabadi Muslims will tell you that they speak Dakhini and the educated speak high flatulent urdu (read Arabicized). The schools, including Osmania University, in old Nizam state taught in Urdu medium not in Dakhini; The term Dakhini language probably is archaic and only intellectually superior would like to use it from time to time, to show off.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:35 am

One thing is pretty commendable about SIs that's not so prominent in NIs. They have a lot more solidarity with each other than NIs do, when it comes to being against each other. NIs either don't care, or were too trained to believe of India as one, or are pretty ignorant, or maybe NI is way more diverse than SI is so they just cannot unite with anyone except their own little groups.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:One thing is pretty commendable about SIs that's not so prominent in NIs. They have a lot more solidarity with each other than NIs do, when it comes to being against each other. NIs either don't care, or were too trained to believe of India as one, or are pretty ignorant, or maybe NI is way more diverse than SI is so they just cannot unite with anyone except their own little groups.

Hahaha! don't fall for what you see on SuCH (dang! everyone is turning into a Rashmun), reality is very different. For example, Telangana telugus think they are different than the rest of the Telugus. Also, read a bit on how 3 of the 4 states have been fighting over river waters. I thought HINDI united NIs Wink

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:51 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

i always thought urdu was spoken among hyderabadi muslims.
it is through sulekha i found that the term dakhini (which is also used to denote a geographical area) is used for the language.

That is still valid, AFAIK. None of the present day Hyderabadi Muslims will tell you that they speak Dakhini and the educated speak high flatulent urdu (read Arabicized). The schools, including Osmania University, in old Nizam state taught in Urdu medium not in Dakhini; The term Dakhini language probably is archaic and only intellectually superior would like to use it from time to time, to show off.
Correct; even Hyderabadi Muslims do not call their language Dakhni. They call it Hyderabadi, Hyderabadi Urdu, or just Urdu. The context in which I heard the term Dakhni was when one of my high school teachers said Urdu historically had three major variants: Lakhnavi Urdu, Dehlavi Urdu, and Dakhni Urdu. He used to add that it now has a fourth major variant, Pakistani Urdu. Now, we don't think of Lakhnavi, Dehlavi, or Pakistani as names of languages any more than we think of Dakhni as the name of a language. At least in Lucknow and Delhi, most people understand Urdu; in the Deccan, only a small minority do. So calling the local variant of Urdu "the Dakhni language" is even less appropriate that calling the Lakhnavi variant of Urdu "the Lakhnavi language."

Last edited by panini press on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:One thing is pretty commendable about SIs that's not so prominent in NIs. They have a lot more solidarity with each other than NIs do, when it comes to being against each other. NIs either don't care, or were too trained to believe of India as one, or are pretty ignorant, or maybe NI is way more diverse than SI is so they just cannot unite with anyone except their own little groups.

Hahaha! don't fall for what you see on SuCH (dang! everyone is turning into a Rashmun), reality is very different. For example, Telangana telugus think they are different than the rest of the Telugus. Also, read a bit on how 3 of the 4 states have been fighting over river waters. I thought HINDI united NIs Wink

HINDI unites SIs a lot more than it does NIs, it seems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:56 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

HINDI unites SIs a lot more than it does NIs, it seems.
True, opposition to the imposition of Hindi unites SIs from across the political spectrum. If you consider Bengalis as NIs, there is certainly opposition there to the imposition of Hindi as well. Let us not forget that one of the reasons Pakistan broke up and Bangladesh became independent was because the Bengalis opposed the imposition of Urdu on them.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:11 am

Yep. Bengalis, gujjus, marathis, and punjus, they just learned Hindi and moved on. Maybe even many telugus. But none will stand up to fight for Hindi, if not against it. Bimaru is on its own here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next