Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NON ANONYMOUS OR OPEN POLL

+7
Hellsangel
southindian
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Nila
Idéfix
doofus_maximus
Petrichor
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NON ANONYMOUS OR OPEN POLL Empty NON ANONYMOUS OR OPEN POLL

Post by Petrichor Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 pm

dm said in a post "This... I stopped coming to this forum because I find it hard to wade through million and one RaShMan's posts about Akbar and others."

Please vote "+1" if you find Rashman's posts a spam. If you would like to see him continue posting on these topics, please vote "-1" as a reply to this thread.

Given the voter fraud, I want names (okay, handles) that like to tolerate this spammer.

+1

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

NON ANONYMOUS OR OPEN POLL Empty Re: NON ANONYMOUS OR OPEN POLL

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:43 pm

+1

but what comes of it.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:43 pm

atcg wrote:dm said in a post "This... I stopped coming to this forum because I find it hard to wade through million and one RaShMan's posts about Akbar and others."

Please vote "+1" if you find Rashman's posts a spam. If you would like to see him continue posting on these topics, please vote "-1" as a reply to this thread.

Given the voter fraud, I want names (okay, handles) that like to tolerate this spammer.

+1

This is my vote purely in my capacity as a poster: +1
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:02 pm

+1

In favor to end the ramifications.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:10 pm

+1

actually

+ infinity n beyond.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:14 pm

+1

but Rashmun is 15 minutes or daily chuckles. Rashmun transmits 64bit fun.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:15 pm

southindian wrote:+1

Transmitted is the middle name of an STD.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
southindian wrote:+1

Transmitted is the middle name of an STD.

In that case ai ai ai ai ya... JM should soon consult a doctor.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

panini press wrote:
atcg wrote:dm said in a post "This... I stopped coming to this forum because I find it hard to wade through million and one RaShMan's posts about Akbar and others."

+1

what happened to 'Great Post!'?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

+1

By the way, many of the 'Great Post!' posts have been posted by PP using his purported real name on sulekha.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:27 pm

+1

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

+1

By the way, many of the 'Great Post!' posts have been posted by PP using his purported real name on sulekha.

in the few blogs he posted under his purported real name on sulekha, PP found it befitting to give a direct quote from one of my sulekha posts in his blog on the caste system in India. Since PP now thinks i am a spammer, presumably he is also a spammer?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:32 pm

i have half a mind to start giving links to the sulekha posts and the blog of PP where he appreciatively referred to or responded to my writings in his posts which he posted using his purported real name. I would hope that he, his slaves, and his buddies will not start whining once i start doing so.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:33 pm

+1

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:

+1

in the few blogs he posted under his purported real name on sulekha, PP found it befitting to give a direct quote from one of my sulekha posts in his blog on the caste system in India. Since PP now thinks i am a spammer, presumably he is also a spammer?

i think there should be rules like in other forums where when a poster posts something unrelated to the OP's post then it is automatically deleted. if that behavior continues, then the poster is banned.

otherwise rashman will poop all over this forum forever.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:36 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
panini press wrote:This is my vote purely in my capacity as a poster: +1

i think there should be rules like in other forums where when a poster posts something unrelated to the OP's post then it is automatically deleted. if that behavior continues, then the poster is banned.

I have been on sulekha since 1998 and i am well aware of the rules of netiquette. Also, i was never banned on sulekha even though i kept posting on the site since 1998. If i am banned on this forum it is my belief that many other posters on this forum would stop posting here.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:37 pm

Rashmun wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

I have been on sulekha since 1998 and i am well aware of the rules of netiquette. Also, i was never banned on sulekha even though i kept posting on the site since 1998. If i am banned on this forum it is my belief that many other posters on this forum would stop posting here.

ok stick to the topic and vote.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:40 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

ok stick to the topic and vote.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

On sulekha there was no need to stick to the topic. The discussions would often veer off in all kinds of directions. Since you, atcg, progagandhi, sasthi, panini press, etc. are relative newbies who do not know all the rules of netiquette you are now talking nonsense. In my opinion you guys should start showing more respect to your seniors on sulekha (i.e. people like me).

This forum is for ex-sulekha posters and i am the third oldest sulekha poster here (after huzefa kapasi and kris).

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:46 pm

9 votes for designating Rashman as a spammer on this forum.
and
counting...

Proposed next steps:

1. Issue a "cease and desist" msg.
2. Request admin to modify Such policy on Spam and Spammers.
"If 8/10ths of the members, present and voting over a 4-day period, designate a handle as a spammer, then the Admin, at his pleasure, may take steps, including that of banning Such (sic) spammer."

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:51 pm

+1
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:51 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:+1

but what comes of it.
Nothing will come of this. In my capacity as admin, I am opposed to any restrictions on free speech that is not in violation of laws or the forum privacy policy. So there will be no admin action taken as a result of this or any similar poll.

In a more perfect world, one might have hoped that a poll like this might induce the person in question to introspect and moderate his/her behavior. But experience tells us that that is not very likely. If the person in question was capable of such introspection and moderation, that would have occurred ten -- or a hundred -- polls ago. What did not happen then is not likely to happen now. From the movie Side Effects: "past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior."
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:53 pm

atcg wrote:9 votes for designating Rashman as a spammer on this forum.
and
counting...

Proposed next steps:

"If 8/10ths of the members, present and voting over a 4-day period, designate a handle as a spammer, then the Admin, at his pleasure, may take steps, including that of banning Such (sic) spammer."

If Admin changes posting rules on this forum, it is my belief that many posters on this forum would stop posting here. This is particularly true when it comes to banning a poster because PP had repeatedly assured everyone who joined this forum that he would NEVER ban any poster. Banning me would smack of bias because PP is not on good terms with me. Further, for more than five years he was regularly interacting with me and hailing my history and philosophy posts as 'Great Post!'.

In my opinion atcg has now joined Propagandhi and Hellsangel in being a bootlicker of PP. He probably thinks that ingratiating himself to PP is the way to go to become a respected member of this forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:54 pm

panini press wrote:

but what comes of it.
Nothing will come of this. In my capacity as admin, I am opposed to any restrictions on free speech that is not in violation of laws or the forum privacy policy. So there will be no admin action taken as a result of this or any similar poll.

In a more perfect world, one might have hoped that a poll like this might induce the person in question to introspect and moderate his/her behavior. But experience tells us that that is not very likely. If the person in question was capable of such introspection and moderation, that would have occurred ten -- or a hundred -- polls ago. What did not happen then is not likely to happen now. From the movie Side Effects: "past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior."

I support these proposals by atcg

Proposed next steps:

"If
8/10ths of the members, present and voting over a 4-day period,
designate a handle as a spammer, then the Admin, at his pleasure, may
take steps, including that of banning Such (sic) spammer."

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:54 pm

and
counting...

Proposed next steps:

I personally don't like such restrictions to free speech. But I am just one of the members here. I think this is a good discussion to have.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:55 pm

kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:

but what comes of it.

Proposed next steps:

"If

Kinnera, Bittu awaits you on yahoo chat. you are wasting your time here when you can have more fun having another chat session with the one and only Bittu.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:58 pm

panini press wrote:
and
counting...

Proposed next steps:

I personally don't like such restrictions to free speech. But I am just one of the members here. I think this is a good discussion to have.

Democracy shld rule. Pls go by the popular vote/opinion of the members.

Sulekha used to ban the handles. Rashmun claims that he wasn't banned in sulekha. Ya, that's so coz he wasn't as much of a nuisance there as he's here. He seems to be posting junk with a vengeance here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:00 pm

kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:
and
counting...

Proposed next steps:

Sulekha used to ban the handles. Rashmun claims that he wasn't banned in sulekha. Ya, that's so coz he wasn't as much of a nuisance there as he's here. He seems to be posting junk with a vengeance here.

I was as much of a nuisance here as i am on sulekha. i am the same here as i was on sulekha. If you don't believe me you can ask Huzefa Kapasi who has known me since 1998.
On another note, when are you getting together with Bittu for another chat session? You tend to become irritable if you have not had a chat with him for a long time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:02 pm

kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:
and
counting...

Proposed next steps:

if sulekha would have started banning posters based on the whim of the democracy posters like Ibrahim would have been banned long long ago. The fact that Ibrahim kept posting on Sulekha and kept posting daily quotations from the Koran, and repeatedly tried to convert other posters to his own faith, and the fact that this continued for some years should make you pause and introspect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:02 pm

kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:
and
counting...

Proposed next steps:

I would like to hear other points of view on this topic. I have already stated my personal preference against such restrictions. I know there are several posters here who think like me when it comes to free speech. And many of them are less biased than I am regarding the member we are discussing right now. So I will stay out of the active debate now, and wait for them to provide the counterpoint to what you and ATCG are suggesting.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:03 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:

but what comes of it.

Proposed next steps:

"If

Kinnera, Bittu awaits you on yahoo chat. you are wasting your time here when you can have more fun having another chat session with the one and only Bittu.

PP, if not for his spamming, he shld at least be banned for this kind of harassment. I've tolerated enough.
SuChat is dead coz of him as none of us wanted to chat there with this sicko and his accomplice lurking there forever in anonymous handles.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:04 pm

akbar, BN, synthesis, hindi, polls, telugus: +1

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:05 pm

panini press wrote:
kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:
and
counting...

Proposed next steps:

I would like to hear other points of view on this topic. I have already stated my personal preference against such restrictions. I know there are several posters here who think like me when it comes to free speech. And many of them are less biased than I am regarding the member we are discussing right now. So I will stay out of the active debate now, and wait for them to provide the counterpoint to what you and ATCG are suggesting.

I am amused that i have managed to rattle you, the self proclaimed defender of FREE SPEECH, to such an extent.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:06 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:

but what comes of it.

Proposed next steps:

"If

PP, if not for his spamming, he shld at least be banned for this kind of harassment. I've tolerated enough.
SuChat is dead coz of him as none of us wanted to chat there with this sicko and his accomplice lurking there forever in anonymous handles.

I am surprised you find this harassment while Bittu's repeated public claims of wanting to have sex with you was considered harmless by you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:08 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:

but what comes of it.

Proposed next steps:

"If

It must have been 8-10 months since i went to SuChat. The fact that it is dead now should not be blamed on me. In my opinion you are now starting to go berserk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:08 pm

kinnera wrote:PP, if not for his spamming, he shld at least be banned for this kind of harassment. I've tolerated enough.
Oh, I didn't know that about SuCHat. I can suggest a fix for you... if you feel that this member's posts constitute harassment, please consider adding the poster to your foes list. You will not see his harassing posts any more. I will open another thread to discuss if there is a need for an anti-spam policy here.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm

Rashmun wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

On sulekha there was no need to stick to the topic. The discussions would often veer off in all kinds of directions. Since you, atcg, progagandhi, sasthi, panini press, etc. are relative newbies who do not know all the rules of netiquette you are now talking nonsense. In my opinion you guys should start showing more respect to your seniors on sulekha (i.e. people like me).

This forum is for ex-sulekha posters and i am the third oldest sulekha poster here (after huzefa kapasi and kris).

NON ANONYMOUS OR OPEN POLL GGdo4
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:25 pm

bw wrote:akbar, BN, synthesis, hindi, polls, telugus: +1
How about Tamil and Tamilians?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

panini press wrote:

how about 'Gulti does Ulti?'

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:27 pm

panini press wrote:
I personally don't like such restrictions to free speech. But I am just one of the members here. I think this is a good discussion to have. [/quote]

I would like nothing more than a technology solution to this particular issue -

If there was a way for the average user to *ban* another user from his/her particular user experience, I would welcome Rashman to continue to exist in his self-created silo, screaming at the top of his lungs about his pet topics. I just want the silo sound-proof and with a tightly closed lid.

By *ban* another user from his/her particular user experience, I mean

no posts from that banned user should be even visible; topics started by the banned user should be invisible, including replies by other users; topics in which the banned user has responded, should hide his posted replies. If other users quote the banned user in such topics (not started by the banned user), then such replies may be displayed.

Without this solution, I am forced to take a heavy hand.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:30 pm

panini press wrote:

tamils too though i don't think there have been as many posts on us yet.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:31 pm

this is little more than a forum for entertainment. asking for bans etc is extreme and symptomatic of taking things too seriously and a slippery slope when you think abt it

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:33 pm

bw wrote:
panini press wrote:

Last edited by Rashmun on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:33 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:this is little more than a forum for entertainment. asking for bans etc is extreme and symptomatic of taking things too seriously and a slippery slope when you think abt it
No one is 'banning' him. This was about whether he posts spam.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:this is little more than a forum for entertainment. asking for bans etc is extreme and symptomatic of taking things too seriously and a slippery slope when you think abt it
No one is 'banning' him. This was about whether he posts spam.

in fact if you read PP's post (which you have supported) again you will find that he talks of banning a poster who the majority think are spanning the forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:36 pm

bw wrote:
panini press wrote:

Ya, no posts similar to 'gulti does ulti' for tamilians yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:37 pm

[quote="Rashmun"]
bw wrote:
panini press wrote:

Last edited by Rashmun on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:38 pm

panini press wrote:
kinnera wrote:PP, if not for his spamming, he shld at least be banned for this kind of harassment. I've tolerated enough.
Oh, I didn't know that about SuCHat. I can suggest a fix for you... if you feel that this member's posts constitute harassment, please consider adding the poster to your foes list. You will not see his harassing posts any more. I will open another thread to discuss if there is a need for an anti-spam policy here.

I did now, but I can still see his posts that are quoted by other posters. Can't help that, I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:46 pm

http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse_tamils-vs-upites

In the war of 1857, UP played a leading role in the rebellion against
the British. A large number of UPites (including UPites soldiers in
British army) participated in the freedom struggle. What was remarkable
was that even the fedual lords of UP--the nawabs and rajas--participated
in the freedom struggle against the British.In contrast, the Tamil
soldiers by and large supported the British in the war of independence
(apart from a few stray incidents like at Vellore). Further at least
some of the feudal lords of Tamil Nad appear to have sided with the
British. This is the reason why there are no rajas or nawabs in
UP--since they were systematically crushed by the British for having
participated in the freedom struggle of 1857-- while we have a Nawab of
Arcot (and perhaps other Nawabs/rajas?) in Tamil Nad even today.Since
Tamils were directly in contact with the British much before the UPites,
the Tamils started learning the English language a long time before the
UPites. Also, the British developed Tamil Nad more than UP in reward
for having sided with them in the war of independence.And then FF and
Max come along and scream at us that UP is backward and Tamil Nad is
developed. -Rashmun

Is that why the reference was deleted?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:48 pm

Hellsangel wrote:http://indiapulse.sulekha.com/forums/coffeehouse_tamils-vs-upites

In the war of 1857, UP played a leading role in the rebellion against
the British. A large number of UPites (including UPites soldiers in
British army) participated in the freedom struggle. What was remarkable
was that even the fedual lords of UP--the nawabs and rajas--participated
in the freedom struggle against the British.In contrast, the Tamil
soldiers by and large supported the British in the war of independence
(apart from a few stray incidents like at Vellore). Further at least
some of the feudal lords of Tamil Nad appear to have sided with the
British. This is the reason why there are no rajas or nawabs in
UP--since they were systematically crushed by the British for having
participated in the freedom struggle of 1857-- while we have a Nawab of
Arcot (and perhaps other Nawabs/rajas?) in Tamil Nad even today.Since