Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To Nephew

+6
Maria S
garam_kuta
Kris
Idéfix
Merlot Daruwala
goodcitizn
10 posters

Go down

To Nephew Empty To Nephew

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 am

Remember the time when I asked you about a good place to have dosa(i)s in Bangalore? You immediately suggested an old cafe where we met. I was surprised to see a small, run-of-the-mill joint that had no advertising, no decent furniture, not even a menu, yet had a milling crowd and delicious dosa(i)s. You had an intimate knowledge of what a good dosa(i) is supposed to taste like as well as a place where to find such a dosa(i). I have noticed the same trait in you when it comes to your choice of words and sentence construction in English. If you can be a connoisseur of food and language in your own way, how can you question the passion others have for their language?

Dosa(i)s in most restaurants or at homes have the same ingredients, if you were to break them down, yet you are able to discern the difference. So why must you even bring up the logic of saying that if you breakdown any food item, it is just a bunch of ingredients that serve to satisfy hunger, what else?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

To Nephew Empty Re: To Nephew

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:22 am

Haha..thanks Unkil for the illustrative example. I guess I was a bit too reductionist in my arguments in the other thread. The parallel with computer languages was strictly in the context of language being repositories of knowledge.

But my core puzzlement remains. My appreciation of CTR's benne masala dosas doesn't come in the way of my appreciation of a shorshe ileesh or a rogan josh. I don't feel threatened if you sing praises of Saravana Bhavan's pongal or your mom's varuthakuzhambu or thayirsadam. I don't see any need to pelt stones at (or demand government sanctions against) KFC or MacDonald's outlet to protect my beloved CTR.

The exclusivist approach to language appreciation by people who are otherwise open-minded on everything else is what I was probing.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:37 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Haha..thanks Unkil for the illustrative example. I guess I was a bit too reductionist in my arguments in the other thread. The parallel with computer languages was strictly in the context of language being repositories of knowledge.

But my core puzzlement remains. My appreciation of CTR's benne masala dosas doesn't come in the way of my appreciation of a shorshe ileesh or a rogan josh. I don't feel threatened if you sing praises of Saravana Bhavan's pongal or your mom's varuthakuzhambu or thayirsadam. I don't see any need to pelt stones at (or demand government sanctions against) KFC or MacDonald's outlet to protect my beloved CTR.

The exclusivist approach to language appreciation by people who are otherwise open-minded on everything else is what I was probing.

Hehehe, Nephew. Don't worry, I'll never cry "fowl" if you polish off a nice leg of a duckini, sorry, I meant duck so long as you don't impose it on me while I am just as happy munching on a leaf of lettuce from a salad bowl. And to use the taxpayers' money to fund such imposition of duck(ini) is not fair to lettuce aficionados.

P.S. This is not to decry your 6' 5" frame which is obviously noteworthy!

Last edited by goodcitizn on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:39 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:The exclusivist approach to language appreciation by people who are otherwise open-minded on everything else is what I was probing.
Speaking for myself, my approach to language appreciation is not at all exclusivist. Rashmun once told me that my Hindi was better than his, although he is a Hindian and I am not. I have no animus towards Hindi, and I thoroughly enjoy some forms of Hindi-Urdu poetry. I don't feel threatened if someone sings praises of Hindi literature or their mom's evocative prose in Manipuri. I don't see any need to pelt stones at (or demand government sanctions against) Hindi to protect my beloved Telugu or Hyderabadi.

Just as I would oppose and ridicule any attempts by naan-eaters to get me to eat naan or lecture me on the benefits of a wholesome diet while they themselves eat nothing but naan, I oppose and ridicule attempts at Hindian cultural hegemony in the matter of language. I think Hindi should be available as an option to AP students who want it, just like I think naan-serving restaurants should be allowed to operate freely in Hyderabad.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:13 am

goodcitizn wrote:Remember the time when I asked you about a good place to have dosa(i)s in Bangalore? You immediately suggested an old cafe where we met. I was surprised to see a small, run-of-the-mill joint that had no advertising, no decent furniture, not even a menu, yet had a milling crowd and delicious dosa(i)s.
try CTR for their butter masala dosa. nephew's reco.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:17 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Remember the time when I asked you about a good place to have dosa(i)s in Bangalore? You immediately suggested an old cafe where we met. I was surprised to see a small, run-of-the-mill joint that had no advertising, no decent furniture, not even a menu, yet had a milling crowd and delicious dosa(i)s.

That's where we had yummy masal dosas. (JM, note spelling if you are bored).

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:24 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

>>>>Definitely on the list next time I am in that neck of the woods.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:45 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:try CTR for their butter masala dosa. nephew's reco.

HK: Looking at this link, seems like it has gone through a facelift and a new name "Sri Sagar" plus other additions: Open bar, large screen, music etc. Hope the quality of food hasn't been tampered with.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:07 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:try CTR for their butter masala dosa. nephew's reco.

HK: Looking at this link, seems like it has gone through a facelift and a new name "Sri Sagar" plus other additions: Open bar, large screen, music etc. Hope the quality of food hasn't been tampered with.
MD recommended it to us in nov '12 (after the overhaul and change of name) so i suppose the food quality hasn't changed.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 am

goodcitizn wrote:Remember ...You had an intimate knowledge of what a good dosa(i) is supposed to taste like as well as a place where to find such a dosa(i). I have noticed the same trait in you when it comes to your choice of words and sentence construction in English. If you can be a connoisseur of food and language in your own way, how can you question the passion others have for their language?

Dosa(i)s in most restaurants or at homes have the same ingredients, if you were to break them down, yet you are able to discern the difference. So why must you even bring up the logic of saying that if you breakdown any food item, it is just a bunch of ingredients that serve to satisfy hunger, what else?

Actually themes and variations saar: Vidyarthi Bhavan in Basavangudi is dead-heat with the old Central Tiffin Room of malleswaram and I suggest, for traditional bennae kaali dosa, check out the Gopalakrishna Bhavan, sajjan rao circle.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:12 am

Haha no Unkil, nothing's changed. Even the name has been Sri Sagar for quite a few years now, but largely ignored by old-timers who still call it CTR. The only big change has been a new, AC "family" section on the first floor which is less crowded than the ground floor. The dosas were just as good when I last binged on them in December.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:18 am

Next time I'm in Bombay, which maybe in July, it is gonna be the nephew and I, totally hogging it out. I'll make sure I lose 5 lbs beforehand to account for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 am

garam_kuta wrote:Actually themes and variations saar: Vidyarthi Bhavan in Basavangudi is dead-heat with the old Central Tiffin Room of malleswaram and I suggest, for traditional bennae kaali dosa, check out the Gopalakrishna Bhavan, sajjan rao circle.
all noted; thread bookmarked. bennae means butter i gather. what does kaali mean? plain?

benne masala dose at CTR: *drool*
To Nephew IMG_0081

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:20 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Haha..thanks Unkil for the illustrative example. I guess I was a bit too reductionist in my arguments in the other thread. The parallel with computer languages was strictly in the context of language being repositories of knowledge.

From a stranger (!)..who had to intrude:

The so called "open-mind" is a myth..it's only a matter of degree (the mind is in a constant state of expanding and contracting!)..some more than others..and some issues matter more (core of identity) than others to some.

Speaking of expanding and contracting..think what touches us and where matters too:)

If the mind/intellect in touched-we expand/shrink a certain way..if the heart is touched-we expand/shrink a certain way..and when our soul is touched..we certainly expand in fundamental ways- can't seem to shrink..it's much harder!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:22 am

Is Mavalli Tiffin Room and CTR one and the same? Reemember having stood in a short line to get into MTR (which was near a public park) and heading up the narrow stairs to the first floor, on a sunday afternoon. There was no concept of ordering the 'tiffin' - they just brought out the three dishes they had made for that session and patrons indulged to their hearts' content.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:23 am

Maria S wrote:

The so called "open-mind" is a myth..it's only a matter of degree (the mind is in a constant state of expanding and contracting!)..some more than others..and some issues matter more (core of identity) than others to some.

Speaking of expanding and contracting..think what touches us and where matters too:)

If the mind/intellect in touched-we expand/shrink a certain way..if the heart is touched-we expand/shrink a certain way..and when our soul is touched..we certainly expand in fundamental ways- can't seem to shrink..it's much harder!

I haven't seen anything expand (or shrink) for a while now. *sigh*

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:31 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Maria S wrote:

LOL Tracy! To Nephew 459784477
Thank you. I missed the BIG one..BODY (!) and "stimuli-responses"..may be it's the morning my mind is on other things..expanding and shrinking:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:32 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:Actually themes and variations saar: Vidyarthi Bhavan in Basavangudi is dead-heat with the old Central Tiffin Room of malleswaram and I suggest, for traditional bennae kaali dosa, check out the Gopalakrishna Bhavan, sajjan rao circle.
all noted; thread bookmarked. bennae means butter i gather. what does kaali mean? plain?

benne masala dose at CTR: *drool*
To Nephew IMG_0081
>>
Due to so much Hindian/Dakhini posts, I am changed. I want some good reco for 'authentic' NI food in Bangalore. Will be visiting in 3 months time. Last time I visited, the malai kofta didnot taste like one. No need for bar setting, just simple/authentic/good/fresh/safe NI food?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 am

atcg wrote:Is Mavalli Tiffin Room and CTR one and the same?
no they are not the same. my last experience was a particularly bad one. it is ALWAYS crowded (long queues) and the food is overrated i now feel. one upon a time (decades ago) it used to be good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Next time I'm in Bombay, which maybe in July, it is gonna be the nephew and I, totally hogging it out. I'll make sure I lose 5 lbs beforehand to account for it.

Cool. This rhymes.

Next time I'm in Mumbai,
which maybe in July,
it is gonna be the nephew and I,
Hogging prawns, lambs or dosai.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 am

FluteHolder wrote:
Due to so much Hindian/Dakhini posts, I am changed. I want some good reco for 'authentic' NI food in Bangalore. Will be visiting in 3 months time. Last time I visited, the malai kofta didnot taste like one. No need for bar setting, just simple/authentic/good/fresh/safe NI food?
veg or non veg? if veg i got no recos. if non veg, try nagarjuna on residency road or the swathi chains. their mutton dishes and biryani are out of the world -- best i've ever tasted. swathi will give you good veg food too. all hyd. cuisine btw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:38 am

Maria S wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Maria S wrote:

LOL Tracy! To Nephew 459784477
Thank you. I missed the BIG one..BODY (!) and "stimuli-responses"..may be it's the morning my mind is on other things..expanding and shrinking:)

my mind needs to get out of gutter soon. Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:40 am

is it beNNae or bennae? butter in tamil is veNNai.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:41 am

sssh...CTR is? that is all i have to ask.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:48 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
atcg wrote:Is Mavalli Tiffin Room and CTR one and the same?
no they are not the same. my last experience was a particularly bad one. it is ALWAYS crowded (long queues) and the food is overrated i now feel. one upon a time (decades ago) it used to be good.
the above comments were for MTR not CTR.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:01 am

[quote="Vidya Bagchi"

my mind needs to get out of gutter soon. [/quote]

On a serious note Tracy..it's not about the gutter..every touch (physical stimuli) does have a powerful "body-mind" (psychological-physiological) connections.

Since we are talking about "how we are shaped" to a great deal by "external" stimuli..it is quite relevant in this discussion..the first sounds a baby hears in the "native/mother tongue"..the soothing words and lullaby of the mother..to the intimate whispers and touching of a lover (not by a computer, yet!)..to the touching-healing words by a healer..all the subliminal words-language "comfort of familiarity"...it's all interconnected- how we feel, what makes us feel good..how meaningful it all translates..into our passions..when it comes to our identity.
*Of course..it affects us in different ways/impacts us..can't deny that.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Haha no Unkil, nothing's changed. Even the name has been Sri Sagar for quite a few years now, but largely ignored by old-timers who still call it CTR. The only big change has been a new, AC "family" section on the first floor which is less crowded than the ground floor. The dosas were just as good when I last binged on them in December.

That's a relief. I am planning to go with my kid brother to CTR early March. I had raved about the bennae (vennai in Thamizh) masala dosais that he too is eager to try them.

Agree with Hoozay. Tried MTR located near Lal Bagh last year and was not impressed.

As for Tracy, here's an addendum to your poem:

Make sure there's no bandh or curfew
When you venture out to meet Nephew
And your lunch with him would be balmier
Than a date with ol' Marathadi Saamiyaar

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 pm

goodcitizn wrote:As for Tracy, here's an addendum to your poem:

Make sure there's no bandh or curfew
When you venture out to meet Nephew