Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

+29
doofus_maximus
FluteHolder
Maria S
chameli
Jeremiah Mburuburu
garam_kuta
Nila
pravalika nanda
Miss.Blah
artood2
Mosquito
ashaNirasha
soul.peaceful
truthbetold
pravalika
Propagandhi711
indophile
Kris
MaxEntropy_Man
tapori
harharmahadev
Merlot Daruwala
Impedimenta
FreeStyle
Another Brick
.|Sublime|.
Hellsangel
Rekz
charvaka
33 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 8 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by .|Sublime|. Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:05 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
.|Sublime|. wrote:yes, sri lankans tamils call it idiappam but it is more commonly known as string hoppers there.

why, is not known as idiappam in kerala too?

misread you last night. you never suggested it isn't. too much misreading.

also, in that maggi pic of yours (that props calls unappetizing), those white and pink papads on the right are shrimp flavoured papads. Wink right?

you do not need to try this hard to find fault with my posts.
and that does not taste anything like maggi! i probably should have arranged the potatoes aesthetically before taking the pic. but the way i liked to eat idiappam is to pour the gravy curry on top to let it soak through. it also makes it easier to cut. you guys have no idea how good it tasted.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 8 Empty Re: What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2]

Post by Rekz Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:49 am

Tomato Pasta followed by

roti and mutton curry
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:01 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:Love tahiri... it's a fave dish of mine among my in-laws too, however when I could not give the background on why it is called tahiri, one of aunts-in-law concluded that tahiri means rice in.... some lingo.

actually i was once in an argument with QB about this. she maintained that tahiri meant something different in gujarat. or perhaps she was talking of kadhi. but it turned out that she was right. i think the argument was about kadhi. i think kadhi is the equivalent of tahiri in gujarat (and sindh).

ok, my daily, quite coincidentally, ran a piece on the sindhi kadhi today. i was a bit off the mark in the above post though not totally. the sindhi kadhi is not a pulao but is made with all assorted vegetables and kokam (or tamarind if kokam not available) and without besan pakodas:

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110814/jsp/graphiti/story_14375791.jsp wrote:My all-time Sindhi favourite is the kadhi, which is completely different from other regional kadhis, such as the Punjabi one which has little pakoras in the gravy cooked essentially with besan. The Sindhi curry has all kinds of vegetables in it —from drumstick and lotus stems to peas and okras. While elsewhere kadhis are cooked with curd, it’s a bit of kokum or tamarind that gives the Sindhi kadhi its tart taste.

also, sindhis have their own way of preparing the hilsa (though the author does not discuss their ways in the article). this i knew -- that hilsa is (or was) available in pakistan too.

that dish thoomaaro in the article sounds fascinating. does it have any equivalent elsewhere? maybe the haleem without meat. but haleem tastes so bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:38 am

Took charge of kitchen after long time..

For the vegetarian guests-giloda fry,bindi,dal,rotis & rice

Non-veg guests-chicken curry

I can take full credit for the menu today...so will post pic shorty:)
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:43 am

Rekz wrote:so will post pic shorty:)

cheers dhool!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:47 am

I also prepared tamarind rice for the first time...

Waiting for the victims to arrive,hope they all survive:D
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:55 am

Rekz wrote:Took charge of kitchen after long time..

For the vegetarian guests-giloda fry,bindi,dal,rotis & rice

Non-veg guests-chicken curry

I can take full credit for the menu today...so will post pic shorty:)

What is giloda?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:56 am

Never mind - google to the rescue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:48 am

I celebrated our Independence from hunger this afternoon with:

Chicken Biryani (Muslim style, with large whole-fried potatoes..yumm)

Kheema curry

Mushroom fry
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:21 am

To make up for the global imbalances caused by miscellaneous fasters, I had two breakfasts today:

1 banana, 1-egg omelet with lots of green chili, 2 nicely browned pieces of toast

Medu vada with sambar and coconut chutney
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Miss.Blah Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:06 am

Gonna have Tinola with steamed rice.

Miss.Blah

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:09 am

sattu parathas with lasoda pickle. we had excess oil left in the mango pickle jar. so sattu was mixed with this oil (which carried the pickle masala too), green chillis, onions, garlic and coriander and used as a stuffing for the parathas. lasoda, labheda or goonda is a gooseberry and looks like this.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 8 Imag0311

(everest masala) mutton curry the wife and kids had the other day.

What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 8 Imag0312

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:51 am

sattu is powdered "roasted" chana dal and is coarser than besan which is powdered chana dal. sattu, though normally used to mean chana, can be any roasted, powdered cereal or pulse. sattu paratha is a bihari specialty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:22 am

It must be a regular wheatflour dough but with a sattu filling, right?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:24 am

yes. quite like how you stuff alus in alu parahthas. make a ball of aata, flatten, dump sattu mixture on it, wrap and roll.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:12 am

chicken soup
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:30 am

today i was proactive and lent my support to the possible sequel of Hazare movement by opting for what the caterer chose to call "fast combo". sabudana khichadi, banana, chips, curd and batata bhaji. i feel like lending my support to various causes all over the world, from blasphemy law in pakistan to beetle nut pickers' agitation in peru, in the exact same manner evwwWWrrrRRy ddDDDDaay.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:30 pm

for a lot of you the question should be, "whom are you cooking/eating today?"

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:31 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:for a lot of you the question should be, "whom are you cooking/eating today?"
Hello Janice! Eat any of your kids today?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:53 am

To show solidarity with my Muslim brethren on the occasion of Id, this fakularist feasted on:

Karimeen fry

Mutton biryani

Seviyan
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:To show solidarity with my Muslim brethren on the occasion of Id, this fakularist feasted on:

Karimeen fry

Mutton biryani

Seviyan

What is Seviyan?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 am

blabberwock wrote:

What is Seviyan?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:09 am

Hellsangel wrote:
-- semiya youtube link --

exactly! i was about to say that. you took the semiya out of my mouth. either she is a phoney iyer or she really didn't make the connection between semiya and seNviyaN. seviyan is a patent eid dish and is eaten soaked in warm milk and sugar (payasam again). among the muslims, seviyan can be brightly colured too -- orange, red, pink, green. some make a seviyan with minced mutton. i have tasted that and it is very tasty: think vermicelli with ground beef (i'm sure the italians or chinese have a dish to these specs.).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:26 am

falooda is another (bambaiya) sweet dish made with senvaiya, kulfi and colours.
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 8 Falood10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:42 pm

remember one occasion when dad and sis went to feast on eid at a friend's place.. mom didn't go coz of an earlier overwhelming smell experience. So anyway, it was all going fine until one women spoke to someone to serve more meat to my sis. she said, 'chhori ko aur boti de'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:59 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:exactly! i was about to say that. you took the semiya out of my mouth. either she is a phoney iyer or she really didn't make the connection between semiya and seNviyaN.

actually, if i may add, in blabberwock's defense, i just watched the semiya payasam video. semiya is pronounced quite differently from what we pronounce (it as) sainwain at home. i am familiar with the term "semiya" only through my game-chat friends who happen to be from TN.

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:00 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:remember one occasion when dad and sis went to feast on eid at a friend's place.. mom didn't go coz of an earlier overwhelming smell experience. So anyway, it was all going fine until one women spoke to someone to serve more meat to my sis. she said, 'chhori ko aur boti de'.

could you please translate this?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:15 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:remember one occasion when dad and sis went to feast on eid at a friend's place.. mom didn't go coz of an earlier overwhelming smell experience. So anyway, it was all going fine until one women spoke to someone to serve more meat to my sis. she said, 'chhori ko aur boti de'.

could you please translate this?

arre.... she used the word 'boti' for meat... usually such lingo is used in movies for dogs and all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:exactly! i was about to say that. you took the semiya out of my mouth. either she is a phoney iyer or she really didn't make the connection between semiya and seNviyaN.

actually, if i may add, in blabberwock's defense, i just watched the semiya payasam video. semiya is pronounced quite differently from what we pronounce (it as) sainwain at home. i am familiar with the term "semiya" only through my game-chat friends who happen to be from TN.

access will not be granted to the THING.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:54 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:access will not be granted to the THING.

we will see.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:11 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
-- semiya youtube link --

exactly! i was about to say that. you took the semiya out of my mouth. either she is a phoney iyer or she really didn't make the connection between semiya and seNviyaN.

Excuse me - there's semiya and there's sevai - the former is used to make semiya payasam, a dessert, and sometimes, semiya upma, a tiffin. The latter is rice noodles, often made fresh at home, and made into a tiffin.

How am I to magically know that "seviyan" is semia payasam, given all these things that both phony and authentic iyers make?

Yes, I could have easily googled but then weren't you complaining just yesterday that the forum posts are dying?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:45 pm

blabberwock wrote:Excuse me - there's semiya and there's sevai - the former is used to make semiya payasam, a dessert, and sometimes, semiya upma, a tiffin. The latter is rice noodles, often made fresh at home, and made into a tiffin.

isn't semiya also rice noodles? i know i can google but the forums are dying; so kindly oblige.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:22 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
blabberwock wrote:Excuse me - there's semiya and there's sevai - the former is used to make semiya payasam, a dessert, and sometimes, semiya upma, a tiffin. The latter is rice noodles, often made fresh at home, and made into a tiffin.

isn't semiya also rice noodles? i know i can google but the forums are dying; so kindly oblige.

I thought vermicelli was made from (durum) wheat? I too refuse to google. Forums need us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:39 am

i think store bought vermicelli has changed the meaning of semiya/sevai. i think traditionally it is made from rice flour and roasted before use.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:47 am

hey i made semiya payasam today
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:56 am

ok, it seems even sevai is made from wheat flour. i googled. link. i'm a bit confused now -- i think i'll drop the subject.

edit. it's called shemai in bengal.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:04 am

omg Shocked you are right. i wasn't understanding you. sevai is a rice noodle in south -- samiya is vermicelli. sevai

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:17 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:omg Shocked you are right. i wasn't understanding you. sevai is a rice noodle in south -- samiya is vermicelli. sevai

Of course, I am right.

Sevai is often made fresh at home and so I know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:27 am

yes. i had no knowledge about sevai. actually we call seviyan sevai at home (perhaps incorrectly) so i thought you were referring to seviyan whenever you said sevai.

to summarize:

sevai -- rice noodles.
semiya -- vermicelli.
seviyan -- vermicelli (though sometimes made with rice flour). can be coloured.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:15 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yes. i had no knowledge about sevai. actually we call seviyan sevai at home (perhaps incorrectly) so i thought you were referring to seviyan whenever you said sevai.

to summarize:

sevai -- rice noodles.
semiya -- vermicelli.

nice exchaustive research and hence....

thaliyan!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:39 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:falooda is another (bambaiya) sweet dish made with senvaiya, kulfi and colours.
What are you cooking / having cooked / eating today? [1 of 2] - Page 8 Falood10

No, the semia in falooda is not regular wheat-based vermicelli - it's too glassy for that. My guess is it's sevai made of corn flour (will google and confirm tomm). Also, kulfi is an optional side and not an ingredient.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:21 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:My guess is it's sevai made of corn flour (will google and confirm tomm).

yes, please do. also i could not actually recall if the falooda i used to have in the mahalaxmi race course area carried kulfi, ice cream or neither. but yes, the kulfi we get in these parts is served on a plate with a liberal sprinkling of (colourless) falooda/sevai on it.

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:31 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:No, the semia in falooda is not regular wheat-based vermicelli - it's too glassy for that. My guess is it's sevai made of corn flour (will google and confirm tomm). Also, kulfi is an optional side and not an ingredient.

http://tinyurl.com/449v9wq

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:44 am

fine.

to summarize:

falooda -- corn starch (though sometimes arrowroot as per wikipedia) noodles.
sevai -- rice noodles.
semiya -- vermicelli.

anybody wanting to add to this list? how about chowmein?

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:46 am

why do we have only chicken chowmein? why not mutton chowmein, fish chowmein or duck chowmein?

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:59 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:fine.

to summarize:

falooda -- corn starch (though sometimes arrowroot as per wikipedia) noodles.
sevai -- rice noodles.
semiya -- vermicelli.

anybody wanting to add to this list? how about chowmein?

vermicelli used for semiya payasam is made with wheat/all purpose flour.
vermicelli used for sevai is made with rice flour
vermicelli used for seviyan is made with wheat/all purpose flour but toasted/roasted to a reddish brown color

while seviyan is the name of the dish as well as the ingredient used in that dish, chowmein is the name of a dish - not an ingredient.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:21 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
vermicelli used for semiya payasam is made with wheat/all purpose flour...

vermicelli used for seviyan is made with wheat/all purpose flour but toasted/roasted to a reddish brown color

in the warewah video for semia payasam referenced above, sevai is roasted brown. is that a departure from common practise?

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:37 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:in the warewah video for semia payasam referenced above, sevai is roasted brown. is that a departure from common practise?

i think so. roasted vermicelli used in seviyan is of a fine variety. traditionally semiya payasam is made with the thicker version of vermicelli and it is roasted before use. this was probably because roasted fine vermicelli was not widely available in the south, so the semiya payasam has thicker strands of semiya than the seviyan in seviyan.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:07 pm

i see. but you might want to know that the sevai (yup that's what i have decided to call it) we make at home -- we fry the sevai in a bit of ghee before we use it. and yes, sevai is thinner than vermicelli.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:08 pm

hai bhagwan.. eid nikal gayi sevaiyan rah gayi.... khao aur aage bado yaar....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next