Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giddy with thankfulness creatures

+15
Propagandhi711
ashaNirasha
MaxEntropy_Man
Maria S
confuzzled dude
garam_kuta
Impedimenta
Merlot Daruwala
FluteHolder
Kris
bw
pravalika nanda
Hellsangel
seven
Nila
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Giddy with thankfulness creatures  Empty Giddy with thankfulness creatures

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:30 am

Why do some people, well mostly women, need to keep saying every third day, specially on FB, how their marriage and/or kids, and/or family/work situation is the best thing that ever happened to them? After years and years of that milestone.

I like to be fair, so I will try to list all possible causes.

Are they simply putting their most surfaced thots in words and there is nothing more to this?
Are they trying to prove something to themselves or to others, and they need to do so every third day?
Are they indirectly telling booyaa to other losers who may or may not have put them down earlier?
Do they need to convince themselves every third day to stay in this marriage or situation and declaring on FB is the best self-convincing tool?
Are they trying to justify some prior mis-decisions by saying how those bad decisions finally led to this good decision, and hence they need to be forgiven finally?
Are they religious and merely thanking God every time they feel glad when their little kids come and hug them?
Are their husbands touching them so rarely that every time they do give them a neck massage, it sorta explains for itself why they are still in this marriage, and all of their 700 contacts need to read this, and at least 27 must like and at least 11 must comment?
Am I just bitter and jealous, and hence cynical about such declarations of giddiness of thankfulness and love?
And the most important question, will they ever stop posting all this?

Back to top Go down

Giddy with thankfulness creatures  Empty Re: Giddy with thankfulness creatures

Post by Nila Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 pm

LOL only 4% likes. If I were to have 700 ppl in FB I would call at least 350 of them and make them "like".

I have like 20 ppl on FB - most of them are all family. If I don't get a like from my BFF; I call her and tell her to like my posts. Sometimes being silly brings more fun. I also get calls in the middle of night asking for a like from my sis.

They all post for one and only reason to get "Attention!"

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Nila wrote:LOL only 4% likes. If I were to have 700 ppl in FB I would call at least 350 of them and make them "like".

I have like 20 ppl on FB - most of them are all family. If I don't get a like from my BFF; I call her and tell her to like my posts. Sometimes being silly brings more fun. I also get calls in the middle of night asking for a like from my sis.

They all post for one and only reason to get "Attention!"

I am guessing there are fewer % of likes coz hopefully they have some privacy settings, so not everyone can read the status. I do random likes every week or two to register my presence to these queens or else I will be kicked out of the kingdoms, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:22 pm

to answer the most important question first - No, they're not going to stop posting it anytime soon.

in my experience, people who post more pix kissing hugging and PDAing their partners, posts smooches and comments about how much they love their spouses/gf/bf, fight liek cats n dogs in reality.

some are genuinely loving and care for each other but the ones posting every 3 days ( after fighitng and making up) are crazy.
dont let it bother you Wink

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:32 pm

Yeah. That's another side to it. In person you hear a lot I complains about the same husband or in-laws.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:34 pm

hear? i have seen them fight bitterly. then they go online and say loving things. i dont get it.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:35 pm

seven wrote:hear? i have seen them fight bitterly. then they go online and say loving things. i dont get it.

Ya. Actually seen fighting too. So there is a pattern here. Hmm.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:40 pm

as for why they think its the best thing that happened to them could be different for different people.

you do smtimes pause to take a look at ur life and feel blessed to have what you have, thank god for everything and smtimes write it on FB. so lets give them benefit of doubt...to the ones who are not doing it every 3 days lol

or could it be a different person on ur list every 3 days? or u meant same person doing it that frequently?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Same few people doing it frequently.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Why do some people, well mostly women, need to keep saying every third day, specially on FB, how their marriage and/or kids, and/or family/work situation is the best thing that ever happened to them? After years and years of that milestone.

Are they simply putting their most surfaced thots in words and there is nothing more to this?
Are they trying to prove something to themselves or to others, and they need to do so every third day?
Are they indirectly telling booyaa to other losers who may or may not have put them down earlier?
Do they need to convince themselves every third day to stay in this marriage or situation and declaring on FB is the best self-convincing tool?
Are they trying to justify some prior mis-decisions by saying how those bad decisions finally led to this good decision, and hence they need to be forgiven finally?
Are they religious and merely thanking God every time they feel glad when their little kids come and hug them?
Are their husbands touching them so rarely that every time they do give them a neck massage, it sorta explains for itself why they are still in this marriage, and all of their 700 contacts need to read this, and at least 27 must like and at least 11 must comment?
Am I just bitter and jealous, and hence cynical about such declarations of giddiness of thankfulness and love?

That's my take. And the answer to your final question: Yes, they will stop the day they don't need to convince themselves and others. They already know and don't care about letting others know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Pinni, is that like delusional people boasting on an anonymous forum?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:33 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Pinni, is that like delusional people boasting on an anonymous forum?

Probably. None of us is perfect. All of us have this urge for acceptance and approval from others. The only difference is that it varies in degree.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:44 pm

** Vij, I'm not on facebook so I'm not familiar with this habit. I think these women must just be using it as a journal. And it actually sounds like the kind of thing you'd do if you were still with your man. Since you're in no position to make such claims, you don't like it.
** However, you shouldn't let that make you sour. You should just laugh at them. It's icky to talk about what you and your spouse do in private. I'm sure there's an icon to express your distaste, but I know from experience it's not very smart to be too frank.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:59 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:** Vij, I'm not on facebook so I'm not familiar with this habit. I think these women must just be using it as a journal. And it actually sounds like the kind of thing you'd do if you were still with your man. Since you're in no position to make such claims, you don't like it.
** However, you shouldn't let that make you sour. You should just laugh at them. It's icky to talk about what you and your spouse do in private. I'm sure there's an icon to express your distaste, but I know from experience it's not very smart to be too frank.

you are not on facebook? how come?

Ya that can be one thing. Me being jealous. But it's not coz I cannot make similar claims. I do post pictures, links, and sometimes comments, but those are rare. I like to keep myself a bit exclusive (not-in-your-face) there. I have, through my life, always maintained the image of the quiet one, and have always had a secret parallel life that only select few friends knew about. So no, that's not the reason. Also, to be frank, if things were alright with my marriage, I would not even be on this forum. In those happy days, I would look down about bloggers and forum posters. I would be a lurker on different forums, but never posted.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 pm

nenu wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Why do some people, well mostly women, need to keep saying every third day, specially on FB, how their marriage and/or kids, and/or family/work situation is the best thing that ever happened to them? After years and years of that milestone.

That's my take. And the answer to your final question: Yes, they will stop the day they don't need to convince themselves and others. They already know and don't care about letting others know.

isn't the primary purpose of facebook to provide a platform for exhibitionism? who else will go there? i am sure there are other means to keep in touch. i can understand teenagers getting into this but the number of grown men and women constantly updating their pictures, status etc. is quite unsettling.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 pm

bw wrote:
isn't the primary purpose of to provide a platform for exhibitionism? who else will go there? i am sure there are other means to keep in touch. i can understand teenagers getting into this but the number of grown men and women constantly updating their pictures, status etc. is quite unsettling.

That is the extreme view of FB. I reconnected with many of my school and college mates through FB after 2-3 dacades. That is so awesome! It's a delight to look at the pix of them and their families. They were equally curious to see pix of me, my hubby, kids, parents, bro, bro's family, etc. A lot of my cousins and other relatives who I don't get to communicate much are also on my FB and it's good to know what's going on with them and see the pix of their kids growing up.

You say there are other means of keeping in touch. How? How do you do that with all of your friends, cousins, relatives and all? How many are you in contact with right now and how much time do you spend to stay in touch with all of them?

What the OP is talking abt is the extreme ppl on FB, the constant attention seekers and the exhibitionists. Not everyone who has an FB account is that. If you believe so, then your thinking is so warped. It needs a serious rehaul.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:31 pm

Facebook was primarily founded for Ivy leaguers to find women according to that movie.

Another thought rings true - Facebook is a mirror masquerading as a window.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Facebook was primarily founded for Ivy leaguers to find women according to that movie.

It is indeed a mirror. In fact, Such is a mirror too, if one is willing to reflect oneself in it. The constant need to prove something about oneself and the need to project oneself a certain way to the anonymous handles here is more ridiculous than what the exhibitionists and the attn grabbers do on FB.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 pm

nenu wrote:

You say there are other means of keeping in touch. How? How do you do that with all of your friends, cousins, relatives and all? How many are you in contact with right now and how much time do you spend to stay in touch with all of them?

i keep in touch with those i care to - emails, phone calls/IM etc. i am/was never a 1:n person and prefer individual interactions. i write individual emails and not group emails. anyway, that's me.

What the OP is talking abt is the extreme ppl on FB, the constant attention seekers and the exhibitionists. Not everyone who has an FB account is that. If you believe so, then your thinking is so warped. It needs a serious rehaul.

i said those who feel an urge to constantly change their pictures and status are so. i do think anyone who is on FB actively is there to show off something - nothing wrong with that and no, i don't think my thinking is warped. FB may be useful in locating some past friends but to use that as a tool to assault people with photos after photos is nothing but exhibitionism. of course, a lot of mutual admiration clubs exist there making everyone feel good about themselves.

Last edited by bw on Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:45 pm

nenu wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Facebook was primarily founded for Ivy leaguers to find women according to that movie.

It is indeed a mirror. In fact, Such is a mirror too, if one is willing to reflect oneself in it. The constant need to prove something about oneself and the need to project oneself a certain way to the anonymous handles here is more ridiculous than what the exhibitionists and the attn grabbers do on FB.

What to do! This place is full of slim and lithe virile ones. Such is the competition.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:48 pm

bw wrote:

isn't the primary purpose of facebook to provide a platform for exhibitionism?

Not sure what you mean. Please explain more. Does this statement mean everyone having a legit fb account is an exhibitionist? Also, what are the secondary purposes of fb?

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:52 pm

as i said, i can understand giddy teenagers using FB for various social reasons but unkils and aunties updating FB with their pictures and other mundane details of their life is something else.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 pm

bw wrote:

as i said, i can understand giddy teenagers using FB for various social reasons but unkils and aunties updating FB with their pictures and other mundane details of their life is something else.

BTW, I started watching that Ken Loach movie.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:55 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
nenu wrote:

What to do! This place is full of slim and lithe virile ones. Such is the competition.

Such is your imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:57 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
bw wrote:

BTW, I started watching that Ken Loach movie.

oh, good!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:58 pm

nenu wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
nenu wrote:

Such is your imagination.

What! No slim lithe ones here?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:13 pm

bw wrote:
nenu wrote:

i keep in touch with those i care to - emails, phone calls/IM etc. i am/was never a 1:n person and prefer individual interactions. i write individual emails and not group emails. anyway, that's me.

Looks like your life is very limited. How many do you keep in touch with and how much time do you spend in emailing, calling, IMing them and how often? FB is a nice tool to stay in touch with near and far ones. I have 90+contacts in my FB acct. I have no time to call or email each of them, but i do wish to be in touch with them.

i said those who feel an urge to constantly change their pictures and status are so. i do think anyone who is on FB actively is there to show off something - nothing wrong with that and no, i don't think my thinking is warped. FB may be useful in locating some past friends but to use that as a tool to assault people with photos after photos is nothing but exhibitionism. of course, a lot of mutual admiration clubs exist there making everyone feel good about themselves.

[/quote]

I don't think the 90+ ppl in my contact list constantly bombard me with their photos (i don't mind that actually) and status reports. They shld be doing that, according to you. but they don't. There are only a handful of them who do that, giving every bit of detail abt their lives..the restaurants they've been to, the games they have gone to, how much they love their husbands, how blessed they are to have their kids, and how much they appreciate their parents, etc. Yeah, that's crap and that's what the OP is talking abt.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 pm

bw wrote:

This is exhibitionism/projection of (psuedo) self too. "Oh i am such an intellectual, so sophisticated, so cool and oh so matured than you juvenile uncles and aunties!"

Here's the mirror. Look in.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:26 pm

nenu wrote:

Looks like your life is very limited. How many do you keep in touch with and how much time do you spend in emailing, calling, IMing them and how often? FB is a nice tool to stay in touch with near and far ones. I have 90+contacts in my FB acct. I have no time to call or email each of them, but i do wish to be in touch with them.

yeah. i like to keep limited friends and am not interested in a scores of meaningless contacts.i spend as much time as i can afford and is required. there is no reason for me to talk to them every day/week/month and we often catch up after quite a long time. i do not need to know on a daily basis whether they brushed their teeth or cooked aloo gobi and feel obliged to say something nice. people post stuff on FB expecting responses and if they get 30+ "likes" or comments, their purpose is served.

I don't think the 90+ ppl in my contact list constantly bombard me with their photos (i don't mind that actually) and status reports. They shld be doing that, according to you. but they don't. There are only a handful of them who do that, giving every bit of detail abt their lives..the restaurants they've been to, the games they have gone to, how much they love their husbands, how blessed they are to have their kids, and how much they appreciate their parents, etc. Yeah, that's crap and that's what the OP is talking abt.

as i said, FB's primary purpose is to provide a platform for exhibitionism.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:31 pm

There is a distinct difference between two types of exhibitionists. First type who will bombard you with pictures, status, writing about every other activity and meal. Those make the most of total exhibitionists, and to me, those are somewhat tolerable. Sometimes, their activities, comments, or pictures are interesting too. They are simply using fb as a public journal.

I am talking about the second type. Those who do all of the above AND make endless thankful posts about perfect spouse, work , family, in-laws, kids. Those are the ones I am trying to figure out here.

I have maybe 7-8 of the first type and 2 of the second type on my fb. One of the Latter two is someone close. I have blocked about 3 contacts who posted a lot of irrelevant stuff and who were not close to me. I am sure anyone who has a FB account has atleast 2 or 3 of those.

BW. Your statement about exhibitionism being the reason behind creating a FB account sounds pretty lofty to me. You may have a point but I don't see it yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:36 pm

nenu wrote:
bw wrote:

This is exhibitionism/projection of (psuedo) self too. "Oh i am such an intellectual, so sophisticated, so cool and oh so matured than you juvenile uncles and aunties!"

thanks, i did. i still think the FB exhibitionist unkils and aunties are acting silly.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:43 pm

bw wrote:
nenu wrote:
bw wrote:

thanks, i did. i still think the FB exhibitionist unkils and aunties are acting silly.

Lol. So if you have seen fb uncle and aunties acting silly means you have created either a legit or a fake fb account. If legit, does that, by your definition, make you an exhibitionist too? If not legit, what does that make you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:44 pm

nenu wrote:
bw wrote:

Why are you so defensive of Facebook, Pinni?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Why are you so dismissive of fb, ha?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Why do some people, well mostly women, need to keep saying every third day, specially on FB, how their marriage and/or kids, and/or family/work situation is the best thing that ever happened to them?

>>>Could be they want re-affirmation from their "friends". Middle age can be a stressful period.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:50 pm

Kris wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Why do some people, well mostly women, need to keep saying every third day, specially on FB, how their marriage and/or kids, and/or family/work situation is the best thing that ever happened to them?

>>>Could be they want re-affirmation from their "friends". Middle age can be a stressful period.

One of my samples is in her 20s. But you may have a point there. About re-affirmation part.

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 pm

as i said, FB's primary purpose is to provide a platform for exhibitionism.
>>
I tend to agree. It is very good for a business enterprise which needs to advertise/promote. I am searching for a video by Jaggi Vasudev where he explains the -ve aspect of FB/Social media. IF I get it will post it. I guess he goes on to saying that 'those who cannot maintain/manage a good interpersonal relationship in person (face to face or to that effect) will/are looking for FB contacts/relationships'. (not his exact words but kind of implying in such a way).

BTW, I just googled ken loach and seeing Bread and roses movie. Looks interesting so far and not boring...

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Kris wrote:

One of my samples is in her 20s. But you may have a point there. About re-affirmation part.
>>>Middle age sets in at different stages for people VB. For adolescents like me, it will probably happen in our 70's. Seriously, if she is in her 20's and married, it is definitely a need for re-affirmation*
*he said in an Uppili-esque all-knowing tone Smile
(Aside: A 22 year- old in India once told me it was her 'fate'. I didn't know sympathy was expected and said something like 'do you really believe in this nonsense?' )

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:08 am

FluteHolder wrote:as i said, FB's primary purpose is to provide a platform for exhibitionism.
>>
I tend to agree. It is very good for a business enterprise which needs to advertise/promote. I am searching for a video by Jaggi Vasudev where he explains the -ve aspect of FB/Social media. IF I get it will post it. I guess he goes on to saying that 'those who cannot maintain/manage a good interpersonal relationship in person (face to face or to that effect) will/are looking for FB contacts/relationships'. (not his exact words but kind of implying in such a way).

BTW, I just googled ken loach and seeing Bread and roses movie. Looks interesting so far and not boring...

oh, let me suggest a few other movies - "land and freedom", "hidden agenda", "the wind that shakes the barley","riff-raff", "raining stones"- i think he makes very sophisticated political thrillers. be warned though that there is a lot violence and foul language and so make sure that the kids aren't around (assuming you don't mind it yourself).

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:29 am

bw wrote:

What a cruel thing to say. Unkils and aunties deserve giddiness and opportunities to hook up too. And FB provides that. How else would Mr Halwai-from-Jhumritalaiya have made the move on Ms Bagchi-in-NJ??

Full disclosure: I don't have an FB account.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:34 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

What a cruel thing to say. Unkils and aunties deserve giddiness and opportunities to hook up too. And FB provides that.

haha - no wonder the unkils and aunties feel the urge to tell their 1456 "friends" that they flossed their teeth or got their hair cut and post pictures to prove it. well, i never!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:08 am

Nice to see wholesome uncles and aunties on such who have never had the urge to post their pictures on any social network site.

Guess this is how the universe balances itself. For every drama queen on FB, there is a self-preserver somewhere else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:23 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

What a cruel thing to say. Unkils and aunties deserve giddiness and opportunities to hook up too. And FB provides that. How else would Mr Halwai-from-Jhumritalaiya have made the move on Ms Bagchi-in-NJ??

Full disclosure: I don't have an FB account.

Lol. Took me a few minutes before I realized who you calling Mr Halwai. Yeah, if it were not for fb, I would have never known the age old crush. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

Wow nice not to have a FB account. Never had one? Do you exchange group emails with buddies?

I know atleast 10 people who don't have one, which means there must be a lot more people out there who don't. If they want to check on anyone, they do so via their spouse's account. (I had earlier asked bw how she knows fb profiles, but am now guessing maybe she does the same).

I was sorta slow to get on it too. Took my XB over one year to convince me to create my account. In that time period, he had given me his password. So I would log in whenever I had the urge to play all those trivia quizzes. Through him, I could check on most people I knew, so I didn't feel the need to create my own. When I did create my FB, for the first year or two I rarely kept my profile pic. Guess my FB went live and kicking somewhat three years later, when I created a lot of albums visible to my family and high school friends. Whenever I reconnect with some old friend, showing that album is a sure way to play catch up on our lives, even though I have not yet disclosed my marital status there. It's blank. Must be confusing to not see XH on my fb friends, but me posting pics of him (with kids) once in a while. I am sure they have a good idea by now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:47 am

err? really? if not for FB, none of my fundraiser shows would have had the crowd it had. it has been very valuable in terms of dance contacts for me and i see so many fundraising events extremely successful because of FB. The last one i was at is proof enough.

Well, i know who i am not inviting for my next show.

Zoo, i tell ya.

It definitely used to annoy me to see people "like" a profile picture even if it looked distorted but then it's easy to ignore such losers and use it as a social media for PR.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 am

Impedimenta wrote:

err? really? if not for FB, none of my fundraiser shows would have had the crowd it had. it has been very valuable in terms of dance contacts for me and i see so many fundraising events extremely successful because of FB. The last one i was at is proof enough.

Zoo, i tell ya.

It definitely used to annoy me to see people "like" a profile picture even if it looked distorted but then it's easy to ignore such losers and use it as a social media for PR.

Typical HA response #1: pocktap, why are you defending fb so much? (I mean all those paras you wrote are not explanatory enough, he may see some other hidden motive in there).

Typical HA response #2: rockstar, you rock! (eh? Ok).

Typical HA response #3: some random video or link, which may or may not be in English.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

Zoo, i tell ya.

Typical HA response #1: pocktap, why are you defending fb so much? (I mean all those paras you wrote are not explanatory enough, he may see some other hidden motive in there).

Typical HA response #2: rockstar, you rock!

Typical HA response #3: some random video or link, which may or may not be in English.
rofl

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:46 am

Impedimenta wrote:

Why post distorted profile pictures that all those poor losers feel compelled to like?

OTOH, no publicity is bad publicity.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:50 am

Hellsangel wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

Why post distorted profile pictures that all those poor losers feel compelled to like?

Thought you answered this many posts ago. Coz they are 'delusional'. Now let us all snooty Suchers get together and collectively feel 'sad' for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:03 am

How come the one who never had an FB acct, who don't have an idea abt it are so judgmental and have such strong opinions abt the ones who do? Something is not right abt it and something seriously wrong abt them.

There are two kinds of non-FB users. The first kind are the ones who have absolutely no interest in it. They either don't have an account yet or are cajoled to have one by their old school/college mates. They may create one, but after a few visits, abandon it and forget abt it. They don't consider this as some kind of a good quality that should make them feel good abt themselves. They don't judge other FB users and bash them to make them feel good abt themselves. They are the confident as is.

The other kind are the ones that we see here in this thread. They are the ones who think that not having an FB acct is a chip on their shoulder, something that they should feel proud abt. They further try to boost up their ego by putting down the ones who do. They are like the middle school bullies with issues

Here's some info abt FB's privacy and security settings for the clueless ones who pass comments:

1. One can set the 'Only Me' option on so that one doesn't bombard one's contacts with all the comments and likes one makes. They will be visible only to you and in the post that you responded to.

2. One can use your discretion and common sense when posting pictures and share them with only a select group of ppl. If one wants to share the pix of a get-together that one had with one's old collegemates in india, one can share them only with that circle of friends, not everyone. If one wants to share the pix of the baby shower at one's office, one can have them visible only to one's colleagues. And if one wants to share the latest pic of one's kid, one can make it visible only to the friends and relatives who haven't seen the kid in a long time and interested in seeing how he has grown up, not to one's neighbors. commonsense101. right?
3. Don't make public your personal info or pix

I first created an FB acct a few yrs ago when I heard scary stories abt kids making their personal info and pictures public and the danger of them falling into the hands of pedophiles. I created the acct with the hope that i can be in my kids' friend's list and monitor their activities. That idea was strongly resisted and no amount of cajoling, pleading or demanding could gain me access to their accounts. My account went dormant for many months until ppl spotted and started sending the friend's requests.

Anyway, for those non-US resident aunties and uncles with an old fashioned indian mentality which makes them believe that they are too old to have an FB account, get out of it. You don't have to be a teenager to be on fb. You can have an fb acct and still act like an adult and be an adult. I have my own uncles and aunties in my contact list. They are grandmas and grandpas. Some of them, in fact, live in india. So yeah, welcome to the new world!

Cut the crap abt what you believe all the fb users post ("oh i floss my teeth and want you all to know" "I had a new haircut and want you all to see the new me"). Total BS! It only shows how stupid you are and what kind of a rock you live under.
And most importantly, do other stuff to boost your ego and self-esteem. Bashing FB users to feel good about yourself seems pretty low.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:12 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

Thought you answered this many posts ago. Coz they are 'delusional'. Now let us all snooty Suchers get together and collectively feel 'sad' for them.

in that world, every one is delusional, na? poor sod....more than sadness is warranted here - for the one who is actually
looking at the mirror but thinking that its a window for watching iyers Sad
Giddy with thankfulness creatures  Garp

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next