Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Giddy with thankfulness creatures

+15
Propagandhi711
ashaNirasha
MaxEntropy_Man
Maria S
confuzzled dude
garam_kuta
Impedimenta
Merlot Daruwala
FluteHolder
Kris
bw
pravalika nanda
Hellsangel
seven
Nila
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Giddy with thankfulness creatures  - Page 2 Empty Re: Giddy with thankfulness creatures

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 am

The above was in response to HA's question to me. Why such a big post? The last sentence above says it all. That kind of mentality irritates me. I think i said what i had to.

EOD (any more of the said attitude will be totally ignored)

Back to top Go down

Giddy with thankfulness creatures  - Page 2 Empty Re: Giddy with thankfulness creatures

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 am

Btw. Teens have long abandoned FB. They are all on instagram. To appease me, my kids created an account for me and added me to them, but slowly I am getting too old to catch up with them. I just lay at home like a cat who appears sleepy and engrossed in her own laptop, but with ears sharply focused on kids' talk. Luckily, so far both my kids love to be in the same room as mine, so it's not that hard to keep an ear on them. I do hear sometimes, 'I can't say it right now, my mom is here'. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:29 am

Dear frog-faced wussy Iyer boy, does the cover remind you of your face? Nice. You found something you can identify with.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:37 am

nenu wrote:

Anyway, for those non-US resident aunties and uncles with an old fashioned indian mentality which makes them believe that they are too old to have an FB account, get out of it. You don't have to be a teenager to be on fb. You can have an fb acct and still act like an adult and be an adult. I have my own uncles and aunties in my contact list. They are grandmas and grandpas. Some of them, in fact, live in india. So yeah, welcome to the new world!

what does being in the US have anything to do with facebook and the desire to flaunt? i believe it is equally popular in india. indians like exhibitionism too, not just the "new world" cool unkils and aunties. it is nothing to do with age - the whole concept of facebook is what's disturbing and somewhat revolting.

there was this article i read a while ago on this. i may have posted it on SUCH. do read it if you have the inclination.

http://chronicle.com/article/Faux-Friendship/49308/

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 am

There are people levelheaded enough to know that their fb friends are not all their real friends. Same goes for other social networks and online buddies. Sadly, sometimes that's all people got in the name for friends. Let's feel sad for them today.

Btw, bw. Let me know if you plan not to respond to me ever. I will save my breath.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:There are people levelheaded enough to know that their fb friends are not all their real friends. Same goes for other social networks and online buddies. Sadly, sometimes that's all people got in the name for friends. Let's feel sad for them today.

Btw, bw. Let me know if you plan not to respond to me ever. I will save my breath.

You gals talk like this on the FB, I mean as frankly or just singing the praises all the time.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:51 am

bw wrote:
nenu wrote:

Anyway, for those non-US resident aunties and uncles with an old fashioned indian mentality which makes them believe that they are too old to have an FB account, get out of it. You don't have to be a teenager to be on fb. You can have an fb acct and still act like an adult and be an adult. I have my own uncles and aunties in my contact list. They are grandmas and grandpas. Some of them, in fact, live in india. So yeah, welcome to the new world!

what does being in the US have anything to do with facebook and the desire to flaunt? i believe it is equally popular in india. indians like exhibitionism too, not just the "new world" cool unkils and aunties. it is nothing to do with age - the whole concept of facebook is what's disturbing and somewhat revolting.

there was this article i read a while ago on this. i may have posted it on SUCH. do read it if you have the inclination.

I wasn't talking abt exhibitionism (cut the hypocrisy, pls). I was talking abt the 'oh, i am an aunty now. i am too old for it.' kind of mentality. pls read my post again.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:There are people levelheaded enough to know that their fb friends are not all their real friends. Same goes for other social networks and online buddies. Sadly, sometimes that's all people got in the name for friends. Let's feel sad for them today.

You gals talk like this on the FB, I mean as frankly or just singing the praises all the time.

Most of my interactions on fb are limited to likes or comment on pics/posts, wishing happy birthdays, etc. or sharing any interesting item. I use messages to keep in touch with close friends and family who are also on FB.

Such is much more interesting that way Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 am

I thought this was a thread about being "giddy with thankfulness"..in real life.

Words can certainly mislead and make anything seem strange or "out of the norm". To me, being thankful and expressing it..even for small *mercies (which is another "normal term" in the family, community and religious culture I am from) is the norm a good thing. We give praise and thanks for a lot of people- "openly"..and I see nothing wrong with it.

*From the psychological perspective..it can be just a "coping mechanism"..all of us (I assume do better with coping- managing our emotions)..and telling or self-motivating oneself to feel better and by being thankful..taking nothing for granted..is normal imo.

*Do some people brag more about themselves..elevate every small accomplishment..to show off and impress others? Sure. To me..frankly, unless it is something professional-work related and affects me personally..personal lives of people, don't affect how I see them..they can be single, married, divorced many times..they can have children/no children..and show off their families, it's their choice/problem! Their socio-economic status may be far greater than mine..and can afford things I can't..does not impress or bother me.

Whether it's someone I know or a stranger tells me some good news, genuinely feel happy for them and glad they shared good news..if it's bad news, will try try encourage them..*this is not to say..I don't judge..for example, a young person without a job says..she is pregnant..I do think about her situation ("does she know what she is for", etc?) But, at that moment she is happy..and hopeful and thankful..so, I am happy for her that she is enjoying that moment..Same for happy families..at that moment people are happy..but, as fluid as life is..there will be tough..extraordinary struggles, as none of us know..what tomorrow with look like.

*I feel the same about friends-acquaintances on line..Facebook or this forum is no different..whether people post spontaneously (most I know do..all this fake on line stuff is so passe' in 2013) or still for some silly reason have "an agenda" to impress..I assume we know..it's about "that moment, that day".. life in snapshots..

Who knows..when the next life challenge..will come along..and it's reset.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 am

nenu wrote:
bw wrote:
nenu wrote:

I wasn't talking abt exhibitionism (cut the hypocrisy, pls). I was talking abt the 'oh, i am an aunty now. i am too old for it.' kind of mentality. pls read my post again.

what hypocrisy? i do think it is silly to see grown up men and women, cool or uncool, posting umpteen photos for their "friends" to see and "like". like it or not, FB is largely about telling the world or group of one's achievements. there is no denying that. it provides a very convenient platform for that.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:37 am

bw wrote:
nenu wrote:
bw wrote:
nenu wrote:

what hypocrisy? i do think it is silly to see grown up men and women, cool or uncool, posting umpteen photos for their "friends" to see and "like". like it or not, FB is largely about telling the world or group of one's achievements. there is no denying that. it provides a very convenient platform for that.

1. One can set the 'Only Me' option on so that one doesn't bombard one's contacts with all the comments and likes one makes. They will be visible only to you and in the post that you responded to.

2. One can use one's discretion and common sense when posting pictures and share them with only a select group of ppl. If one wants to share the pix of a get-together that one had with one's old collegemates in india, one can share them only with that circle of friends, not everyone. If one wants to share the pix of the baby shower at one's office, one can have them visible only to one's colleagues. And if one wants to share the latest pic of one's kid, one can make it visible only to the friends and relatives who haven't seen the kid in a long time and who you know will be interested in seeing how he has grown up, not to one's neighbors. commonsense101. right?
3. Don't make public your personal info or pix

# 2 is the stuff I shared on my FB. Do you see exhibitionism there? I follow # 1 and # 3. You see exhibitionism there? One more thing, i don't allow my birthday to be revealed on FB so ppl won't be compelled to wish me. You see exhibitionism there?

FB is a tool with many features. Use those privacy features. Do you mean to say all the 900 million (maybe a billion now) FB users are exhibitionists? Man, there's something wrong with the way you look at things, people, world and all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:14 am

Hellsangel wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
It definitely used to annoy me to see people "like" a profile picture even if it looked distorted but then it's easy to ignore such losers and use it as a social media for PR.

Why post distorted profile pictures that all those poor losers feel compelled to like?

OTOH, no publicity is bad publicity.

i might think the pic is distorted but others obviously might not. not the point i was trying to make. FB is amazing when it comes to getting the word around for events that are local. It is a great PR tool and has been very effective in publicity. To me, that is all i get from it and am very happy with it. personally, i don't care much for anything else there. I am happy i found my BN network there. I don't know how else i would have found some of these contacts i have now.

Same deal with linked in and whatsapp when it comes to putting up pictures on a profile. People do it for whatever reason, anything that makes sense to them, not necessarily to anyone else.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 pm

what's a thankfulness creature?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:what's a thankfulness creature?

Was expecting this question yesterday itself. What took you so long? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

BW. Your statement about exhibitionism being the reason behind creating a FB account sounds pretty lofty to me. You may have a point but I don't see it yet.

I think I can say this about all your posts in this thread.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

BW. Your statement about exhibitionism being the reason behind creating a FB account sounds pretty lofty to me. You may have a point but I don't see it yet.

I think I can say this about all your posts in this thread.

Even the questions about extra attention seeking FB'ers?

Edit: not attention seeking. That would be judgmental. Extra giddy with thankfullness.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

seriously what does it mean? thankfulness and creatures are both nouns, so what does thankfulness creatures mean? did you mean creatures giddy with thankfulness, or thankful creatures that are giddy, or something else? the thread is too long and too boring, so i really did not sift through it. only the title interests me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:00 am

nenu wrote:
1. One can set the 'Only Me' option on so that one doesn't bombard one's contacts with all the comments and likes one makes. They will be visible only to you and in the post that you responded to.

2. One can use one's discretion and common sense when posting pictures and share them with only a select group of ppl. If one wants to share the pix of a get-together that one had with one's old collegemates in india, one can share them only with that circle of friends, not everyone. If one wants to share the pix of the baby shower at one's office, one can have them visible only to one's colleagues. And if one wants to share the latest pic of one's kid, one can make it visible only to the friends and relatives who haven't seen the kid in a long time and who you know will be interested in seeing how he has grown up, not to one's neighbors. commonsense101. right?

# 2 is the stuff I shared on my FB. Do you see exhibitionism there? I follow # 1 and # 3. You see exhibitionism there? One more thing, i don't allow my birthday to be revealed on FB so ppl won't be compelled to wish me. You see exhibitionism there?

FB is a tool with many features. Use those privacy features. Do you mean to say all the 900 million (maybe a billion now) FB users are exhibitionists? Man, there's something wrong with the way you look at things, people, world and all.

all those who keep posting pictures and updating statuses are exhibitionists of varying degrees. it doesn't really matter who the target audience is. by the way, there is nothing terribly bad about it and no need to be so defensive and take it all as some personal insult. knocking me down/calling me stupid doesn't change anything. do read the blurb about FB in the article i posted, if you can. it isn't just my view of things.

incidentally, chomsky too thinks FB culture is that of exhibitionism and if you think he too is just as wrong, i am rather flattered.

another hilarious thing about FB is how many people claim that they are friends with some celebrity or the other because they have been added to their "friends" list.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:06 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

seriously what does it mean? thankfulness and creatures are both nouns, so what does thankfulness creatures mean? did you mean creatures giddy with thankfulness, or thankful creatures that are giddy, or something else? the thread is too long and too boring, so i really did not sift through it. only the title interests me.

creatures giddy with thankfulness. I.e. posting literally every third day (not exaggerating) how lucky they are to find the husband they hitched (for years now). In-laws, kids, work, friends, cousins, everything. Wish I could show the two samples I am talking about. But since I can't, use your own imagination.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:20 am

bw wrote:
nenu wrote:

all those who keep posting pictures and updating statuses are exhibitionists of varying degrees. it doesn't really matter who the target audience is. by the way, there is nothing terribly bad about it and no need to be so defensive and take it all as some personal insult. knocking me down/calling me stupid doesn't change anything. do read the blurb about FB in the article i posted, if you can. it isn't just my view of things.

incidentally, chomsky too thinks FB culture is that of exhibitionism and if you think he too is just as wrong, i am rather flattered.

another hilarious thing about FB is how many people claim that they are friends with some celebrity or the other because they have been added to their "friends" list.

"nenu pattina kundeluki moode kaallu" It's futile to argue with such people. So ok, fine. All the people who use FB are exhibitionists and all those who don't are not. You claim not to use it, so you are not an exhibitionist. Happy?

PS: No, no I am not saying you are not cool and get all twisted when any negative comments are made to your said pix.

EOD. There's nothing more for me to say.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:01 am

nenu wrote:

"nenu pattina kundeluki moode kaallu" It's futile to argue with such people. So ok, fine. All the people who use FB are exhibitionists and all those who don't are not. You claim not to use it, so you are not an exhibitionist. Happy?

PS: No, no I am not saying you are not cool and get all twisted when any negative comments are made to your said pix.

EOD. There's nothing more for me to say.

i can't be bothered clarifying the "said pix" story. i was anticipating that comment and so am rather chuffed to see that you did throw that in, without all the facts, of course. it doesn't change anything, really.

wish you could understand that my views on FB culture has nothing to do with you or any other individual.

by the way, your FB pictures aren't as "private" as you think they are and they may be shared by your "friends" with others. beware!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:12 am

Directly indirectly, this last post clarified a lot of doubts I had been having. Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Directly indirectly, this last post clarified a lot of doubts I had been having. Thanks!

what are the doubts and how/where/what were they clarified? thanks for the insight!

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 am

bw wrote:

....incidentally, chomsky too thinks FB culture is that of exhibitionism and if you think he too is just as wrong, i am rather flattered.

Where is VC when we need him to speculate on what skinner might have thought of chomsky's views on FB study

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:38 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:Directly indirectly, this last post clarified a lot of doubts I had been having. Thanks!

what are the doubts and how/where/what were they clarified? thanks for the insight!

It's sorta painful. Better I don't think about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:13 am

I have a friend on FB who updates his status 2-3 times a week. Out of 100, 95 of his updates contain his wife's name. The other 5 mention some activity that involves his wife.

TMA thinks it's cute and they are so much in love. I think the dude has some personality aberration.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:16 am

Bittu wrote:I have a friend on FB who updates his status 2-3 times a week. Out of 100, 95 of his updates contain his wife's name. The other 5 mention some activity that involves his wife.

TMA thinks it's cute and they are so much in love. I think the dude has some personality aberration.

Maybe it's his wife who updates his FB?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:18 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Maybe it's his wife who updates his FB?

No.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Your friend posts 2-3 times a week. My friends posts 5-6 times a
Day, minimum. Most of them pics. Right from the method of being woken up to anytime anyone moved a hand. And then some PR business. Sometimes I am visiting them (or they are visiting us), and I come home to find 2-3 status updates with us tagged in some, all posted while we were STILL there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 pm

You win this one, Vidya.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Bittu wrote:I have a friend on FB who updates his status 2-3 times a week. Out of 100, 95 of his updates contain his wife's name. The other 5 mention some activity that involves his wife.

I think your friend's updates on wifes is intended for some secret Boinkress as she knows where his wife is at any time.

Women are both the smartest and the dumbest when it comes to men.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:59 pm

All those who are not transparent on facebook got something to hide...
If one is ok to post pic on anonymous public forum...why not on facebook ?
Come on social community sites are way of life now...

I feel very happy if senior uncles and aunts join in on fb. Little dose of exibitionism and attention seeking will do good for all kinds of relationships.
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:09 pm

Anonymous exhibitionism of home or food is kosher.

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 pm

I actually enjoy some of the exhibitionists' posts on FB. There is a woman among my FB friends who goes on some very adventurous trips with her BF. Amazon forest, bungee jumping in New Zealand, diving in shark-infested waters off the coast of Australia. She was in Christ Church, NZ during that deadly earthquake and survived. I am not so adventurous but it's interesting to get a peek into their lives.

I'm envious of old friends in NYC who are staying fit without even trying by walking for miles everyday, eating street food from every country in the world for $4 (I can't even get a crappy meal here for $4) and doing all the things I loved doing. I get nostalgic and tear up sometimes.

Then, I get some great vacation ideas from friends who visit Sagrada Familia or Ayers Rock or Machu Pichu.

The funniest posts are those posted by the Christian conservatives in this town. For instance, someone opened a sex toys shop in this town, and a religious woman posted something about how Jesus would totally disapprove and one of her "friends" replied "Oh, you should loosen up and buy yourself a dildo, it'll do you good!" She defriended that guy real quick.

Since moving to this town, I've stopped liking or commenting on any posts about politics or religion. Also, no longer post any fancy vacation pictures and deleted all albums in FB with any vacation pictures because people are so poor in this town. I think that's a good policy in general.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:54 pm

My op was about special breed of fb exhibitionists. I was asking why are they so. The discussion then took an interesting turn. So the questions on board now are:

- Is primary purpose of fb to provide a platform for exhibitionism?

- Are all who create an fb account exhibitionists, and the ones who don't are not?

Of course it doesn't matter whether you like it/them or not. Question is, whether you agree or disagree with above statements.

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:12 pm

I have no idea what the primary purpose of FB is. To make money for the owner-investors?

Not everyone on FB is an exhibitionist. Many rarely post anything. Some post mundane stuff like "Wreck on interstate, be sure to avoid getting on the freeway today." Some only post a few pictures of their children. That I totally understand...people love their kids, they're usually considered most people's biggest lifetime projects and in some cases kids are their biggest lifetime achievements if they grow up to be good adults.

A lot of people without kids post pictures of their car or vacation or ambitious gardening project.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:15 pm

The facts of FB:

Seniors in America are very much active in FB playing farmville and posting their adventures like skydiving yada yada

Instgram is very very active among teens in America

In India/American FOBs FB is a popularity contest among middle age aunties/uncles and teens.

For immigrants it is the means of getting to know their old buddies old coworkers and staying in touch.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:45 pm

linkedin is also exhibition (to a certain degree)...is that acceptable? @ bw

why tell the whole world what you do confused

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:47 pm

I am very upset by ppl sharing photos on chat. it points to wanton attentionseekingness and reverse stalkationity.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Won't talk about chats or suchers, but I have seen people with or without fb accounts posting their pics on other social sites. The justifications are equally mind boggling. One friend of mine from village posted her pic on some social website, and then dropped a flirty message on a guy's profile that she knew was public. Why? To make his gf jealous, since this friend of mine thought she was uber hot. Then she went giddy for days thinking how messed up the gf must be seeing her hottie pics on the guy's page.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Sometimes back I used to volunteer at this senior home and almost everyone had a FB account and played farmville. Some are hellbent and evil and were pretenting like sweet18 and sweet20 and were flirting on dating sites.

Many people actively seek revenge by posting pictures. There is no revenge like living good. Ha ha.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:30 pm

seven wrote:linkedin is also exhibition (to a certain degree)...is that acceptable? @ bw

isn't that something used by job seekers to post their resume/look for jobs? does it also have a platform to log your daily activities along with photos?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:18 pm

it used to be, you got it , you flaunt it - Now, it's all normalized; 'you flaunt whatever you got' seems to be what's FB all about.

and hey what's wrong with that if it makes you feel good.

in many ways, FB is a product of andy warhal's vision, it looks like.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:04 am

bw wrote:
seven wrote:linkedin is also exhibition (to a certain degree)...is that acceptable? @ bw

isn't that something used by job seekers to post their resume/look for jobs? does it also have a platform to log your daily activities along with photos?

i was asking if linkedin is acceptable bcz you said some things like FB is about telling the world about one's achievements. Linkedin is also about telling the world about your achievements as well (work related). So wanna know how someone too cool for FB feels about exhibitionism of this degree.

PS: pls do not pick on my usage of "too cool for FB" if you find it inappropriate. ignore it. it means nothing. focus on the question. is this degree of exhibition acceptable?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:16 am

seven wrote:
bw wrote:

i was asking if linkedin is acceptable bcz you said some things like FB is about telling the world about one's achievements. Linkedin is also about telling the world about your achievements as well (work related). So wanna know how someone too cool for FB feels about exhibitionism of this degree.

PS: pls do not pick on my usage of "too cool for FB" if you find it inappropriate. ignore it. it means nothing. focus on the question. is this degree of exhibition acceptable?

i don't really have an opinion on the general linkedin culture because i don't have enough information on it. as far as i know, it is a place to go to to "network" and find jobs. if it is the same as FB wrt seeking approvals and constant updates about oneself, guess it is somewhat similar in spirit. i don't know, really.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2