Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Good Person

+6
Kris
FluteHolder
Idéfix
confuzzled dude
Seva Lamberdar
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
10 posters

Go down

A Good Person Empty A Good Person

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:11 pm

.....who is ? How would you define?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

A Good Person Empty Re: A Good Person

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Here is what the scripture says about the nature of a good person (the Gita: Ch. 16 - V. 1-3),

1. Freedom from fear, purity of heart, constancy in sacred learning and contemplation, generosity, self-harmony, adoration, study of the scriptures, austerity, righteousness;

2. Non-violence, truth, freedom from anger, lack of over-attachment, serenity, aversion to fault-finding, sympathy for all beings, peace from greedy cravings, gentleness, modesty, steadiness;

3. Energy, forgiveness, fortitude, purity, a good will, freedom from pride. These are the treasures of the person who is born for heaven.

Ref. https://such.forumotion.com/t11309-gita-as-the-multifaceted-text (Appendix 2-2)
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:55 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Here is what the scripture says about the nature of a good person (the Gita: Ch. 16 - V. 1-3),

1. Freedom from fear, purity of heart, constancy in sacred learning and contemplation, generosity, self-harmony, adoration, study of the scriptures, austerity, righteousness;

2. Non-violence, truth, freedom from anger, lack of over-attachment, serenity, aversion to fault-finding, sympathy for all beings, peace from greedy cravings, gentleness, modesty, steadiness;

3. Energy, forgiveness, fortitude, purity, a good will, freedom from pride. These are the treasures of the person who is born for heaven.

Ref. https://such.forumotion.com/t11309-gita-as-the-multifaceted-text (Appendix 2-2)

Gita, koran, bible, scriptures are all fine. look at the list in 1 and 2, I can say there is not a single person in this world.

Let us talk practically - in your opinion - who is a good person?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:02 pm

"... in your opinion - who is a good person?" MS

>>> If I knew that, I wouldn't be quoting the above from Gita.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:03 pm

let's see... someone who is kind and non-destructive.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Is he who attains Nirvana in Kansas & camps under a tree

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:38 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Is he who attains Nirvana in Kansas & camps under a tree

The it will never happen bcz first one needs to camp under a tree and then try to attain Nirvana. There are few trees outside of the cities in kansas. i used to think there must be something wrong with the soil. Then I came to know that farmers use every inch for agriculture or cattle grazing.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:18 pm

A good person is one who is true to him/herself, and treats others the way (s)he would like to be treated by others. (That last part is not quite from scripture, but close enough: the Mahabharata I believe references it).
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Idéfix wrote:A good person is one who is true to him/herself, and treats others the way (s)he would like to be treated by others. (That last part is not quite from scripture, but close enough: the Mahabharata I believe references it).

Over the last 2 decades, due to political correctness, this has changed to "Treat others the way THEY would like to be treated."

I think this change became prominent after all the gay thingie issues over the last 2 years.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Let me try something 'confusing' Smile

Confucius was asked once how the son/father should behave. He said Son should behave like a son and Father should behave like a father. ( I remember reading this or something like this; I couldnot find the actual quote).

Something similar concept may be in Hinduism. Each one should follow their dharma/duties based on their levels/responsibilities. This is in a very broader sense and doesnot include specific details/rules.

Good/bad is relative and what is good for one may or may not be good for others.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:17 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:.....who is ? How would you define?

>>>One who has the following qualities:

---who is true to himself;

---who is above holding grudges;

---who is kind n his words and deeds.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:18 pm

FluteHolder wrote:Let me try something 'confusing' Smile

Good/bad is relative and what is good for one may or may not be good for others.

What is it for you ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

What is it for you ?

It is like hanging a terrorist is not good for him/his family but may be good for the country;

Banning a member after repeated warnings may not be good for the member but good for the smooth functioning of the forum/website.

I follow uncle sam; Self interest is the best interest (ofcourse should follow the rules and if difficult to follow, bend the rules a bit).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:11 pm

FluteHolder wrote:

What is it for you ?

It is like hanging a terrorist is not good for him/his family but may be good for the country;

Banning a member after repeated warnings may not be good for the member but good for the smooth functioning of the forum/website.

I follow uncle sam; Self interest is the best interest (ofcourse should follow the rules and if difficult to follow, bend the rules a bit).

saar! please tell me what is self and self-interest. you are a son/a father/a husband/a friend/ and so on... so pray tell me " who are you? and when is you are you?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:19 pm

saamiyar, maybe this will help you in your recent quest to find "self".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 am

saar! please tell me what is self and self-interest. you are a son/a father/a husband/a friend/ and so on... so pray tell me " who are you? and when is you are you?.
>>>
Will answer with songs.
To start...

More laters...

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:06 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:.....who is ? How would you define?

Let me tell you based on my association with 2 ppl whom I consider Very good. One is my late beloved brother in law(It has been over 2 years since he passed away and I am not able to accept the fact he is gone). Another one is his friend who was a top official in a PSU in India and was like a godfather to me in business.

The following would be a small attempt to describe them.
Humble inspite of being highly educated and well positioned, down to earth and sympathy for others not only in thought but in action. Never getting angry inspite of being provoked, and not shaken when faced with difficult and adverse situations and constantly trying to improve on things/processes/etc. And having a zest for life and perfect on planning everything. Always looking for what next and moving on things that needs to be moved on..

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:19 am

A person who is genuinely kind in words and actions..has integrity, and does not try to intentionally hurt or harm anyone..prefer to say "a good soul". Good-hearted is appropriate too:)

Good souls are not perfect or infallible, they are quite human.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 pm

God don’t discriminate between good/bad, man/woman and so many things. Since I am like God I don’t discriminate. LOL

But I would really feel good when things are fair for all…like if my boss is sick and she takes 2 days off and I make sure to handle issues by myself and not bother her. I expect the same – when I am sick and I take off…please return the favor or else it is unfair and not good.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:21 pm

bw wrote:saamiyar, maybe this will help you in your recent quest to find "self".

What makes you think I am on a quest to find "self?"

cyclops

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:28 pm

bw wrote:saamiyar, maybe this will help you in your recent quest to find "self".

cyclops

your recent posts and questions. uff.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:20 am

bw wrote:

cyclops

your recent posts and questions. uff.

They are tools for SuCHers to find their own "self" SaamiYaar by definition are ones who already found their "Self"

UnGnanakannai Thiruandhu Paar PennaE....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down