Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TN goverment to provide Chappaathi Korma, Lemon Rice and Curry Leaves Rice for Rs. 5 (Tamil content)

+8
Captain Bhankas
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Propagandhi711
Maria S
Idéfix
nevada
Rishi
12 posters

Go down

TN goverment to provide Chappaathi Korma, Lemon Rice and Curry Leaves Rice for Rs. 5  (Tamil content) Empty TN goverment to provide Chappaathi Korma, Lemon Rice and Curry Leaves Rice for Rs. 5 (Tamil content)

Post by Rishi Wed May 15, 2013 2:45 pm

http://dinamani.com/latest_news/2013/05/16/அம்மா-உணவகத்தில்-சென்னையில/article1591656.ece

Rishi

Back to top Go down

TN goverment to provide Chappaathi Korma, Lemon Rice and Curry Leaves Rice for Rs. 5  (Tamil content) Empty Re: TN goverment to provide Chappaathi Korma, Lemon Rice and Curry Leaves Rice for Rs. 5 (Tamil content)

Post by nevada Wed May 15, 2013 4:29 pm

Chappathi kurma is only 3 rupees, not 5. Looks clean, the serving ladies are wearing gloves and hair caps.

TN goverment to provide Chappaathi Korma, Lemon Rice and Curry Leaves Rice for Rs. 5  (Tamil content) 15_budget_canteen_1458046f

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/budget-canteens-extended-across-tamil-nadu/article4717342.ece

Frugal fare at nominal prices, but manna for those living on shoestring budgets: Amma Unavagam, which has proved to be a hit with Chennai residents, will shortly reach nine other cities.

Budget restaurants that serve one-rupee idlis and sell low-cost plates of sambar and curd rice for lunch, will come up in Madurai, Tiruchi, Coimbatore, Tirunelveli, Salem, Tirupur, Tuticorin, Vellore and Erode by the end of this month.

These nine municipal corporations will have 10 restaurants each, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa informed the Assembly on Wednesday. And the fare in Chennai is set to expand too. The menu of Amma Unavagams in Chennai will include pongal, variety rice preparations, besides chapathi served with kurma. These budget canteens now function in 200 wards in Chennai, where idli is sold for one rupee, sambar rice for Rs 5 and curd rice for Rs 3. Breakfast is available from 7 am and 12 noon. Lunch will be served till 3 pm.

Following requests for providing varying fare, the canteens will serve pongal and sambar for Rs 5 in the morning and tamarind rice or curry leaf rice during lunch for Rs 5. As it will take some time to procure chapathi-making machines, the dish will make its entry only in September. Two chapathis with dhal or kurma will cost just Rs.3.

nevada

Back to top Go down

TN goverment to provide Chappaathi Korma, Lemon Rice and Curry Leaves Rice for Rs. 5  (Tamil content) Empty Re: TN goverment to provide Chappaathi Korma, Lemon Rice and Curry Leaves Rice for Rs. 5 (Tamil content)

Post by Idéfix Wed May 15, 2013 4:51 pm

I am surprised at the absence of alu-gobi and its variants on the menu.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed May 15, 2013 4:59 pm

Idéfix wrote:I am surprised at the absence of alu-gobi and its variants on the menu.

alu-gobi and gobi-alu will be priced at 100 rupees each Very Happy
northindian? no subsidy for you!

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 15, 2013 5:14 pm

The power of Governmentism..no Corp can beat the Govt serving "good value meals" (and getting into people's hearts via their bellies:D)The concept is good, from what I hear the food is good..the middle class folks, and even mega bucks making folks are enjoying "Ammas Cafes"..

Forget rescuing the American Car Companies and the Big Banks..the US Govt should get into the food business "Uncle Sam's Whopper House", "Big Brother USA Burgers"..."Father President's Pizza Place", of course "Mother America Apple Pies and Donut Shop" and everything should cost under $3:)

*On a different note..good luck to Carvaka and the adoring Amma's fan here..as they embark on exploring the wonderful world of Biology! Ah! Virus, Bacteria..Human Biology etc, etc! "Once you go Biology, you never..".well, it's a lot of fun:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed May 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Maria S wrote:The power of Governmentism..no Corp can beat the Govt serving "good value meals" (and getting into people's hearts via their bellies:D)The concept is good, from what I hear the food is good..the middle class folks, and even mega bucks making folks are enjoying "Ammas Cafes"..

Forget rescuing the American Car Companies and the Big Banks..the US Govt should get into the food business "Uncle Sam's Whopper House", "Big Brother USA Burgers"..."Father President's Pizza Place", of course "Mother America Apple Pies and Donut Shop" and everything should cost under $3:)

*On a different note..good luck to Carvaka and the adoring Amma's fan here..as they embark on exploring the wonderful world of Biology! Ah! Virus, Bacteria..Human Biology etc, etc! "Once you go Biology, you never..".well, it's a lot of fun:)

maria, from your mouth to obama's ear. he's working on socialized food industry

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Maria S wrote:The power of Governmentism..no Corp can beat the Govt serving "good value meals" (and getting into people's hearts via their bellies:D)The concept is good, from what I hear the food is good..the middle class folks, and even mega bucks making folks are enjoying "Ammas Cafes"..

LOL! Dear DUT, I hope so!
I would be glad to fight for "the cause"Smile
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed May 15, 2013 6:43 pm

In the US, there is no need for Government subsidized burgers because there is no runaway inflation. Since more than 10 years the price of a burger(the cheapest one in BK, McD etc) has stayed at a dollar. And dry clean stores still wash and iron shirts for a dollar as they did 10 years ago.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 15, 2013 6:54 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

I was really worried about my retirement. Now with Amma's blessings not anymore.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu May 16, 2013 3:52 am

Idéfix wrote:I am surprised at the absence of alu-gobi and its variants on the menu.

>>>>And I am astounded as to how this Trojan horse has slipped in without raising some serious eyebrows, what with KV's cohorts and the Tamil Trib dude keeping their eyes peeled. Oh , the horror of this NI dish being discussed as though it were everyday fare on Tamil lunch menus. I seriously think there is a massive protest movement about to be unleashed anytime now against this cultural invasion. Greater Eelam is waiting in the wings - just saying...

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu May 16, 2013 4:44 am

WHAT? CHAPATTHI YOU SAY?

this chapatthi shows TN govmt's apathy towards tomato-rice. imagine the joy of consumers if they could eat lemon-rice with tomato-rice. i suspect there will be protests around TN. protests similar to this.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu May 16, 2013 4:55 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:WHAT? CHAPATTHI YOU SAY?

this chapatthi shows TN govmt's apathy towards tomato-rice. imagine the joy of consumers if they could eat lemon-rice with tomato-rice. i suspect there will be protests around TN. protests similar to this.

ROFL..no, disaster has been averted. Venkat need not panic. "The menu of Amma Unavagams in Chennai will include pongal, variety rice preparations*, besides chapathi served with kurma."

*Lemon rice, lemon-mango rice, tamarind rice, tomato rice, curd rice, sambar rice, keerai rice, coconut rice, rice rice etc.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu May 16, 2013 5:15 am

that is so comforting to know. venkat can smile again. he can now consume tomato rice with lemon sambhar and lemon rice with tomato sambhar, thanks to a very thoughtful, caring amma.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu May 16, 2013 8:05 am

[quote="nevada"]Chappathi kurma is only 3 rupees, not 5. Looks clean, the serving ladies are wearing gloves and hair caps.

TN goverment to provide Chappaathi Korma, Lemon Rice and Curry Leaves Rice for Rs. 5  (Tamil content) 15_budget_canteen_1458046f

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/budget-canteens-extended-across-tamil-nadu/article4717342.ece

Frugal fare at nominal prices, but manna for those living on shoestring budgets: Amma Unavagam, which has proved to be a hit with Chennai residents, will shortly reach nine other cities.

Budget restaurants that serve one-rupee idlis and sell low-cost plates of sambar and curd rice for lunch, will come up in Madurai, Tiruchi, Coimbatore, Tirunelveli, Salem, Tirupur, Tuticorin, Vellore and Erode by the end of this month.

** good god, they have a fire extinguisher too (i hope they know how to use it). and it's in my favorite indian cities, madurai and coimbatore, which are rich in culture and cuisine. i'll look out for this the next time i'm in india.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 am

[quote="pravalika nanda"]
nevada wrote:Chappathi kurma is only 3 rupees, not 5. Looks clean, the serving ladies are wearing gloves and hair caps.

** good god, they have a fire extinguisher too (i hope they know how to use it). and it's in my favorite indian cities, madurai and coimbatore, which are rich in culture and cuisine. i'll look out for this the next time i'm in india.

Madurai is my most favorite city in the whole world!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri May 17, 2013 10:32 am

On behalf of DKheads, Fukularistic scientists and anti-communal CONartistic scholars, let me give my rationalistic and logical commentary on this:

It is disgusting that Jaya is fostering communalism!!! If you don't believe me, Take a careful look and you will find a Chaddi God's picture hanging on the wall. This is clearly unacceptable according to the super fukular Indian ideals. This kind of behavior will turn away devoted Gowns, Daadees and burkhas. These insulted people should organize a protest in front of these canteens until the pictures of Mecca are hanged above the Chaddi God (hopefully, Jaya won't go overboard and put the picture of Dr. PBUH - that will lead to a severe remodeling of the canteen).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down