Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a request

5 posters

Go down

a request Empty a request

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 29, 2013 11:37 am

topics like college admissions are best posted in the main coffeehouse forum. i don't normally look into the more obscure forums like where this thread (https://such.forumotion.com/t13350-asians-get-admissions-penaltyin-ivy-leagueschool) was posted. please post in the coffeehouse forum.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

a request Empty Re: a request

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 29, 2013 1:06 pm

i've also heard that often recommendation letters from high school teachers often trip up asian applicants who are always described as "diligent", "hard working" but never in terms like "creative", or "strong intellectual bent".
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 29, 2013 1:31 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i've also heard that often recommendation letters from high school teachers often trip up asian applicants who are always described as "diligent", "hard working" but never in terms like "creative", or "strong intellectual bent".

School teacher and counselor letters COUNT a LOT. They go strictly by the grades, and what they observe, and of course teacher-student personal equations do matter. I have sometimes wondered why national merit scholars from this open land fail to get into IVY/Berkeley while above avg go to the same Elite schools. I am sure the "letters" must be it. A guy aced every test and grades and ended up as high as you can imagine at the #1 ranked school in the field in the entire world. But, his sister went to the same school - also a national merit scholar - studied under the same teachers, ended up being rejected everywhere and finally went to KU.

Proof that there is more to college admission than simply numbers and grades and tests - at least in the US.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed May 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i've also heard that often recommendation letters from high school teachers often trip up asian applicants who are always described as "diligent", "hard working" but never in terms like "creative", or "strong intellectual bent".

School teacher and counselor letters COUNT a LOT. They go strictly by the grades, and what they observe, and of course teacher-student personal equations do matter. I have sometimes wondered why national merit scholars from this open land fail to get into IVY/Berkeley while above avg go to the same Elite schools. I am sure the "letters" must be it. A guy aced every test and grades and ended up as high as you can imagine at the #1 ranked school in the field in the entire world. But, his sister went to the same school - also a national merit scholar - studied under the same teachers, ended up being rejected everywhere and finally went to KU.

Proof that there is more to college admission than simply numbers and grades and tests - at least in the US.

don't these kids also have to do some "community service" just to pad their resumes?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 29, 2013 7:12 pm

bw wrote:

don't these kids also have to do some "community service" just to pad their resumes?

lady...you need to live in the US as a school going kid to realize the torture...community service...yeah...

Of course, the kids can get good scores and class rank/GPA and settle for in-state schools. That is not at all bad if one is living in Texas, NY, NC, VA, MD, IL and many other states. Except GA, where I was told that GT accepts only the top 3% of the class (also Berkeley and UCLA accept top 5%). Most flagship state schools will accept the top 25% of the class ranks READILY (which means most desis). Rutgers, PA State, UVa, VT, UNC, UT-Austin, UMD, UIUC, UIC, Purdue are all fine with tests/GPA and not much else.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 pm

lady...you need to live in the US as a school going kid to realize the torture...community service...yeah...

Of course, the kids can get good scores and class rank/GPA and settle for in-state schools. That is not at all bad if one is living in Texas, NY, NC, VA, MD, IL and many other states. Except GA, where I was told that GT accepts only the top 3% of the class (also Berkeley and UCLA accept top 5%). Most flagship state schools will accept the top 25% of the class ranks READILY (which means most desis). Rutgers, PA State, UVa, VT, UNC, UT-Austin, UMD, UIUC, UIC, Purdue are all fine with tests/GPA and not much else.

Not really, for example, your said criteria is not enough to get into Uva, if you live in northern virginia area because of high competition plus state schools put a cap by region as they want to make sure they've (reasonably) equal representation from all regions of the state.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 29, 2013 10:23 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Not really, for example, your said criteria is not enough to get into Uva, if you live in northern virginia area because of high competition plus state schools put a cap by region as they want to make sure they've (reasonably) equal representation from all regions of the state.

I am not aware of regionwise caps by state schools WITHING the states. Of course, they do that on "diversity" criterion. Besides those kids who are in the top 25% usually end up taking AP courses + a couple of other activities. That should be more than enough - with good letters and a write up (this one counts for 20% - and many admissions people can see through parents-written essays.)

The one that go to the private top schools call for a lot more and that is where the parents end up doing the helicoptering (which the chinku, Desi, Korean parents will do while not as many white moms do).

There are some exceptions and what the kid wants to study also matters in some good state schools.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Wed May 29, 2013 10:28 pm

The trend in high schools nowadays is doing away with the ranking system because of Political correctness. What will the bottom 10% of the class feel when they are identified as such? Who cares about the elite top 1 %'ers.

So , if your kid is in top 1 - 3% but the high school doesn't give out ranks , how will this affect the chances at ivy league admissions?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed May 29, 2013 10:43 pm

b_A wrote:The trend in high schools nowadays is doing away with the ranking system because of Political correctness. What will the bottom 10% of the class feel when they are identified as such? Who cares about the elite top 1 %'ers.

So , if your kid is in top 1 - 3% but the high school doesn't give out ranks , how will this affect the chances at ivy league admissions?

They dont do it openly, but the school counselors do check mark the appropriate rankings which most applications ask for.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down