Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South African Tamils

+5
goodcitizn
churi.
Kayalvizhi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
9 posters

Go down

South African Tamils Empty South African Tamils

Post by Rishi Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkJnzD2Ki0

Rishi

Back to top Go down

South African Tamils Empty Re: South African Tamils

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Rishi wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkJnzD2Ki0

Ahhhhh....so cute.... just their interest and effort to keep their mother tongue alive is amazing.

India with its wealth should encourage summer scholarships to bring Indian descendent kids to India. Long term benefit to India and also its culture/heritage.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:11 pm

>> India with its wealth should encourage summer scholarships to bring Indian descendent kids to India. Long term benefit to India and also its culture/heritage.

Of course the Indian gov does. Offers free Hindi correspondence course, although Tamils outnumber Hindians.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:15 am

Those kids do not look like SA Tamils. They appear to be Indian nationals to me.

If they are indeed SA Indians, then they are extreme outliers. The majority of Indian-origin folk in SA identify as "Tamil-speaking", but none of them actually can speak the language. Certainly not with any degree of fluency demonstrated in the video. They do not cling to their linguistic heritage to the degree Hindi/Bhojpuri/Gujarati folk in SA do. In fact, most of the SA Indian Christians are of Tamil background - they have English names, zero ability to speak Tamil, and they are the group that tends to be most detached from Indian culture vs other SA Indians.

churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:23 am

churi. wrote:Those kids do not look like SA Tamils. They appear to be Indian nationals to me.

If they are indeed SA Indians, then they are extreme outliers. The majority of Indian-origin folk in SA identify as "Tamil-speaking", but none of them actually can speak the language. Certainly not with any degree of fluency demonstrated in the video. They do not cling to their linguistic heritage to the degree Hindi/Bhojpuri/Gujarati folk in SA do. In fact, most of the SA Indian Christians are of Tamil background - they have English names, zero ability to speak Tamil, and they are the group that tends to be most detached from Indian culture vs other SA Indians.

You just upset Pirabhakaran's protege and VERY angry. I am worried for you now.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:16 pm

churi. wrote:Those kids do not look like SA Tamils. They appear to be Indian nationals to me.

Churi,

Were you not a member of Sulekha forum?

I remember your mentioning that you are an Indian from South Africa.

Are you now there or in the USA?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:20 pm

Churi, my long lost buddy! Hope all is well.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:20 pm

In fact, most of the SA Indian Christians are of Tamil background - they have English names, zero ability to speak Tamil, and they are the group that tends to be most detached from Indian culture vs other SA Indians.

That is what happens when you convert.

Hinduism gave an identity to Indians who were under oppression in places like Africa, Fiji, Mauritius, Guyana and Trinidad. They were able to surivive because they knew they came from a culturally rich background. That kept them going.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Rishi wrote:

Churi,

Were you not a member of Sulekha forum?

I remember your mentioning that you are an Indian from South Africa.

Are you now there or in the USA?

She is from the hilly reagions of Zimby (rite?) and could not drive a stick shift uphill.. So decided to move to the US - that too, midwest. Now she just pushes the car and jump inside - and the car goes by itself for 10 miles.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

She is from the hilly reagions of Zimby (rite?) and could not drive a stick shift uphill.. So decided to move to the US - that too, midwest. Now she just pushes the car and jump inside - and the car goes by itself for 10 miles.

Your Holiness, I thought the Midwest regions were plains. Are you saying it is all downhill?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:44 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Your Holiness, I thought the Midwest regions were plains. Are you saying it is all downhill?

It is just plain flat. Once she pushes, the strong winds will push her car easily for 10 miles...if she wants to go fast, there are always tornadoes.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Rishi wrote: In fact, most of the SA Indian Christians are of Tamil background - they have English names, zero ability to speak Tamil, and they are the group that tends to be most detached from Indian culture vs other SA Indians.

Hinduism gave an identity to Indians who were under oppression in places like Africa, Fiji, Mauritius, Guyana and Trinidad. They were able to surivive because they knew they came from a culturally rich background. That kept them going.

Tamils were especially quick to discard both their language and religion. I don't think they were really tied to their Hindu identity for too long. The other groups also faced the same conversion pressures that Tamils did, but most did not readily succumb to it. I truly do not know of one SA Indian of my generation, who can actually speak Tamil.

(Ps. Hello again to all my acquaintances of old on CH (GC, Uppili, Halcy, Kris etc. Rishi confused don't recall your handle). I try to drop in here once in a while, but it isn't too often. Someone should start a Facebook group where the CH stalwarts can congregate - surely after all these years we should be on a first name basis with each other?Smile PPs. Uppili - to the best of my knowledge, I never lived in the midwest.
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:49 pm

churi. wrote:
Rishi wrote: In fact, most of the SA Indian Christians are of Tamil background - they have English names, zero ability to speak Tamil, and they are the group that tends to be most detached from Indian culture vs other SA Indians.

Tamils were especially quick to discard both their language and religion. I don't think they were really tied to their Hindu identity for too long. The other groups also faced the same conversion pressures that Tamils did, but most did not readily succumb to it. I truly do not know of one SA Indian of my generation, who can actually speak Tamil.

(Ps. Hello again to all my acquaintances of old on CH (GC, Uppili, Halcy, Kris etc. Rishi confused don't recall your handle). I try to drop in here once in a while, but it isn't too often. Someone should start a Facebook group where the CH stalwarts can congregate - surely after all these years we should be on a first name basis with each other?Smile PPs. Uppili - to the best of my knowledge, I never lived in the midwest.

Not even midwest in Zimby (I dont even have all the old emails anymore to track your ip).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:12 pm

churi. wrote:

Not even midwest in Zimby (I dont even have all the old emails anymore to track your ip).

You are not a very good stalker Exclamation
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:12 pm

Christian Tamils in TN hold their worship in Tamil execept in some churches in major cities which cater to other language speakers also.

When people like to me want to worship in Tamil in major temples like chidamparam temple, there is too much opposition.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:52 am

>>>Hi Churi. How have you been? Are you in South Africa or in the US now?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:25 am

hello, churi.

hope to see you post more often.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:27 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:

Christian Tamils in TN hold their worship in Tamil execept in some churches in major cities which cater to other language speakers also.

When people like to me want to worship in Tamil in major temples like chidamparam temple, there is too much opposition.

what's stopping you from worshipping in tamil? you can talk to your god in any language you please, can't you? why do you need some middleman chanting stuff?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:31 am

bw wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:

what's stopping you from worshipping in tamil? you can talk to your god in any language you please, can't you? why do you need some middleman chanting stuff?

>>>> Now, now- to each, his own. Sure some people go to a temple or a church to pray, others go to make sure the place is safe from Hindians. if you haven't heard, this is one of the most pressing problems at temples these days.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:19 am

Kris wrote:

Hi Kris, been in the US about a decade now, which is much too long for my liking:) I hope you're well. Am impressed by how long you guys have managed to stick around Smile
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:40 am

churi. wrote:
Kris wrote:

Hi Kris, been in the US about a decade now, which is much too long for my liking:)
where would you rather be?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by churi. Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:48 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
churi. wrote:
Kris wrote:

Hi Kris, been in the US about a decade now, which is much too long for my liking:)

In a country where kids are not gunned down in their classrooms.
churi.
churi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:49 am

churi. wrote:
Kris wrote:

asking such innocuous questions to initiate a conversation will not grant you access to the Thing.

South African Tamils Accessdenied_xlarge

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:03 am

churi. wrote:
Kris wrote:

Hi Kris, been in the US about a decade now, which is much too long for my liking:) I hope you're well. Am impressed by how long you guys have managed to stick around Smile

>>> I knew you had come here, but thought it was for just some academic purpose. Glad you popped in here.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:55 am

Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:

>>>> Now, now- to each, his own. Sure some people go to a temple or a church to pray, others go to make sure the place is safe from Hindians. if you haven't heard, this is one of the most pressing problems at temples these days.

I fully support KV's position on worshipping in Tamil.

In fact, it will prevent from many Tamils getting converted to Christianity.

How many of the TN Brahmin priests even understand what they are chanting in Sanskrit? They just do it by rote.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:37 am

churi. wrote:

Still in that same location and school ? May be we should meet for a morning coffee. Remember I don't open doors for women, and oh, I am now on a new policy of "3-strikes and you are out"

Forget SA. you ain't going back again..and more than likely your grandkids will end up migrating back to India...Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:06 pm

churi. wrote:
churi. wrote:
Kris wrote:

In a country where kids are not gunned down in their classrooms.
i didn't ask you for the attributes of a place you'd rather be (live) in; give me the name of one, if you can.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Rishi wrote:
Kris wrote:
bw wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:

I fully support KV's position on worshipping in Tamil.

In fact, it will prevent from many Tamils getting converted to Christianity.

How many of the TN Brahmin priests even understand what they are chanting in Sanskrit? They just do it by rote.

>>>> These would be issues if there were a concept of group prayers like services in churches. Have you heard of anyone going to a temple and being forced to pray in Sanskrit? Like BW says, who is stopping you from praying in whatever language you want in a temple? The idea that Hindus are converting to Christianity because of this is absurd. There are several examples of religious works in Tamil and several saints (maraimalai adigal, azhvars come to mind here). BTW, priests do learn Sanskrit and if there a few bad apples, you can't cast aspersions on the whole lot. In any event, I find this issue to be academic, since worship in Hinduism is a personal thing.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Kris wrote:
>>>> These would be issues if there were a concept of group prayers like services in churches. Have you heard of anyone going to a temple and being forced to pray in Sanskrit? Like BW says, who is stopping you from praying in whatever language you want in a temple? The idea that Hindus are converting to Christianity because of this is absurd. There are several examples of religious works in Tamil and several saints (maraimalai adigal, azhvars come to mind here). BTW, priests do learn Sanskrit and if there a few bad apples, you can't cast aspersions on the whole lot. In any event, I find this issue to be academic, since worship in Hinduism is a personal thing.

Agree... it is very common for people to sing in their own language Bhajan or songs or whatever while the priest does his thing. Of course, maamis cha(n)t, and young guys oogle at girls who compare their dresses with other girls.

To cite Sanskrit mantras is just an excuse for the sissy converts - which 99% are.

What language do the muslims and the hindus converted to islam read their Koran ???? Tamil/ Telugu/Malayalam?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down