Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mango jelly sheet

3 posters

Go down

Mango jelly sheet Empty Mango jelly sheet

Post by indophile Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:41 am

aka "maamidi taandra" in Telugu. Used to love it as a kid.
Only wish they had supplied the women with hair nets and gloves.
And also, how do they control the omnipresent flies, unless by moving the operation indoors. But you need the hot sun to dry the darned thing (dehydrators, may be?) and enhance the tangy taste.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/andhra-pradesh/sweet-endeavour-for-shg-women/article4798237.ece

indophile

Back to top Go down

Mango jelly sheet Empty Re: Mango jelly sheet

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:44 am

they are handling food with their bare hands. also, this reminds me eerily of the fruit thingie here which looks like a thin sheet of flattened fruit. Forget the name:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 am

fruit roll ups:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:22 am

I like it too I..and like all things mango. In the US..friends make mango pudding- baked in sheets (basically vanilla pudding + mango essence mix) which is quite delicious.

Yes, good hygiene while handling food is important..hairnets and gloves *and hand washing* should be required..but, was just watching the Today show this morning..people in the West..many seldom wash with water properly to clean themselves- hands, feet (all body parts!)..at least some of them admit it..

One has to think about it in fancy gyms..restaurants, hotels, airplanes, swimming pools etc - unfortunately some times in medical facilities too.
All the unhygienic things people do- masked with nice/modern appearances.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:24 am

Wash water properly? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:26 am

You know what I meant Tracy..

*Wash with water*..use water to wash..clean themselves using water..you can perhaps come with a much better way to express what I wanted to!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:57 am

Maria S wrote:
... was just watching the Today show this morning..people in the West..many seldom wash with water properly to clean themselves- hands, feet (all body parts!)..at least some of them admit it..

Yes. A TV station here had a reporter go out to some famous bars and restaurants in Washington (where the lobbyists, legislators, high powered staff members, etc., have their so called power lunches) and discretely collected swabs off of wine glasses, drink glasses, cutlery, etc. They had the those swabs tested and what they found is disgustin. They found fecal bateria on them. Yukkkkk! 

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:06 am

Maria S wrote:I like it too I..and like all things mango. In the US..friends make mango pudding- baked in sheets (basically vanilla pudding + mango essence mix) which is quite delicious.

Yes, good hygiene while handling food is important..hairnets and gloves *and hand washing* should be required..but, was just watching the Today show this morning..people in the West..many seldom wash with water properly to clean themselves- hands, feet (all body parts!)..at least some of them admit it..

One has to think about it in fancy gyms..restaurants, hotels, airplanes, swimming pools etc - unfortunately some times in medical facilities too.
All the unhygienic things people do- masked with nice/modern appearances.

An easy mango pudding. Buy a can of mango pulp in the Indian store, pour it into a small tray. Mix half a packet of unflavored gelatin to it and some elaichi powder (cardomum), and may be some wlanuts and/or cashews if you like. Cover the trau and throw it in the fridge. You will have a nice pudding the next morning.
Note: This recipe doesn't work if you are into gluten-free stuff.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks for the nice mango pudding recipe Mr. I. 

Seems easy to try..l certainly will!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Maria S wrote:Thanks for the nice mango pudding recipe Mr. I. 

Seems easy to try..l certainly will!

Forgot sugar in the recipe!

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down