Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mango Mania

+2
Kris
seven
6 posters

Go down

Mango Mania Empty Mango Mania

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:31 pm

Mango Mania 13062011078

Back to top Go down

Mango Mania Empty Re: Mango Mania

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Mango Mania Almonds+mango+milkshake

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:51 pm

Mango gods were happy with me this year. Happened to buy most heavenly box of kent mangoes. Better than many Alfonso we may have eaten back in India. Huge and perfect mango taste and smell. Kids would lap it all up.

When cutting it for them, I would usually finish off the guthali. Once I ended up leaving more pulp on it than intended. Felt like I sank my teeth into juicy pulpy delicious heaven.

I hope I get another of such awesome set. Let's see.

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:27 pm

you are cruel, rashmun. cruel.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:39 am

Rashmun wrote:Mango Mania 13062011078

My late mother's favorite. I prefer the unripe version, unless we are talking about mango lassi or ice cream.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:48 am

Kris, this drink is called aam panna ( may have a different tamil name) and is made from Unripe mangoes. Have you tried it?
---
Mango Mania Panna2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:00 am

Rashmun wrote:Kris, this drink is called aam panna ( may have a different tamil name) and is made from Unripe mangoes. Have you tried it?
---
Mango Mania Panna2

>>>Don't think I have had it. Will try it. Slight sour taste? If so, may be right up my alley.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:06 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Kris, this drink is called aam panna ( may have a different tamil name) and is made from Unripe mangoes. Have you tried it?
---
Mango Mania Panna2

>>>Don't think I have had it. Will try it. Slight sour taste? If so, may be right up my alley.

Yes slight sour taste.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aam_panna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:10 am

Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:
---
Mango Mania Panna2

Yes slight sour taste.

>>>I thought this would be a good beverage for the indian summer even before reading the description. Will try it next time I go home.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:03 am

i don't really care for mangoes maybe because i grew up with too many of them around me. i had some mango with sticky rice recently but have to say it didn't taste as good as it looked.

Mango Mania Mangos10

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:33 am

bw wrote:i don't really care for mangoes maybe because i grew up with too many of them around me. i had some mango with sticky rice recently but have to say it didn't taste as good as it looked.

Mango Mania Mangos10
it doesn't look good either: too many good things together, too many colours, and too many tastes combined. it's like moghal food or a lehnga. is the brown stuff chocolate, and is the white stuff cream? try a good mango with nothing else, and enjoy its natural flavour.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:25 am

michelle2 wrote:it doesn't look good either: too many good things together, too many colours, and too many tastes combined. it's like moghal food or a lehnga. is the brown stuff chocolate, and is the white stuff cream? try a good mango with nothing else, and enjoy its natural flavour.

it is 'mango with sticky rice', the most famous thai dessert. the brown stuff is a layer of red sticky rice sandwiched between layers of white sticky rice and the white stuff is creamy, coconut milk. the restaurant has a spanish chef in addition to a thai one and the raspberry, blackberry garnish must be his attempt at fusion. it didn't quite gel together. the ripe, golden mango should dominate the dessert but instead, there were just a few cubes.

a typical version

Mango Mania Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp3SK1p0ENa1eqdpOMkFw0HE04K9rGcYofKwBSyWFY4xpia7sO

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:31 am

bw wrote:
michelle2 wrote:it doesn't look good either: too many good things together, too many colours, and too many tastes combined. it's like moghal food or a lehnga. is the brown stuff chocolate, and is the white stuff cream? try a good mango with nothing else, and enjoy its natural flavour.

it is 'mango with sticky rice', the most famous thai dessert. the brown stuff is a layer of red sticky rice sandwiched between layers of white sticky rice and the white stuff is creamy, coconut milk. the restaurant has a spanish chef in addition to a thai one and the raspberry, blackberry garnishing etc must be his attempt at fusion. it didn't quite gel together. the ripe, golden mango should dominate the dessert but instead, there were just a few cubes.

a typical version

Mango Mania Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp3SK1p0ENa1eqdpOMkFw0HE04K9rGcYofKwBSyWFY4xpia7sO

I prefer this version( more mangos and just a little rice):

Mango Mania IMG_5116

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:36 am

Rashmun wrote:

Mango Mania IMG_5116

yeah, that looks better. initially, i used to gag at the idea of sweet rice and mango but over time, i started liking it and always order it at a thai place. i coudn't get enough of it at bangkok since they had absolutely wonderful mangoes and the rice was made perfect as well.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 am

Kris wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Kris wrote:
---
Mango Mania Panna2

Yes slight sour taste.

>>>I thought this would be a good beverage for the indian summer even before reading the description. Will try it next time I go home.

Another great drink to beat the summer heat is Bel Sharbat. Bel is wood apple, and it seems to have some kind of association with Lord Shiva. Bel trees are often found in Yoga ashrams and yogis typically include Bel Sharbat in their diet.

Mango Mania Bel-ka-sharbat

And the preparation method:

http://whatscookingmom.in/bel-ka-sharbat/

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:11 am

Rashmun wrote:Mango Mania 13062011078
Nice

I had mangoes in 6 states in India this summer. I unashamedly told about mangoes to my team, friends and relatives, "No food... just mangoes" and they did more than I had thought. Loved it.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:19 am

i like to eat mangoes plain. there is this awful mampazha pachdi with veLLam (jaggery) that's made on festive occasions in TN. i hate it -- (a) it destroys the natural flavor of the fruit and (b) it is supposed to be a side dish to the usual sambar/rasam fare and it doesn't work well at all.

i do like vadu manga (pickled baby mango) though.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:28 am

i don't like the baby mango pickle that is sold in indian stores. excessively spicy. i like it made simply just dunked in brine with just a touch of chilly powder, turmeric etc. unfortunately the store bought stuff is nothing like that. my folks used to bring it from india, but now the customs/immigration guys have put an end to that. so net net, i don't get to eat my favorite pickle. i'd pickle it myself if baby mangoes were available in the US, but i don't seem to find it here in the northeast.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 am

Back home during hot summer days, i would skip lunch unless there was launji also on the table. my nanny made sure there was some throughout summer days.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:57 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Mango Mania IMG_5116

yeah, that looks better. initially, i used to gag at the idea of sweet rice and mango but over time, i started liking it and always order it at a thai place. i coudn't get enough of it at bangkok since they had absolutely wonderful mangoes and the rice was made perfect as well.
>>>I still don't know about the sticky rice/mango thing. I have not had the guts to try it and reflexively shy away from it when it comes to dessert at thai joints.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Mango Mania Mango-Lassi-Final-2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:11 pm

rashmun given up all this lassing and mangoing. there is a new uththar pradeshi in town who is rocking the cricket world. meerut ki kainchi -- have you heard of him?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:24 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rashmun given up all this lassing and mangoing. there is a new uththar pradeshi in town who is rocking the cricket world. meerut ki kainchi -- have you heard of him?

The guy bowls at 80 miles an hour which makes him ho hum despite the fact that he swings the ball. I may have been a fan if he was bowling at 90 miles an hour and also swinging the ball.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rashmun given up all this lassing and mangoing. there is a new uththar pradeshi in town who is rocking the cricket world. meerut ki kainchi -- have you heard of him?

The guy bowls at 80 miles an hour which makes him ho hum despite the fact that he swings the ball. I may have been a fan if he was bowling at 90 miles an hour and also swinging the ball.

it doesn't matter. you can bowl fast and crappy simultaneously. he produces prodigious swing, gets wickets by the bucketloads and crafty as hell, and as we have now seen he is more than handy with the bat. the second highest batting average in the team, which is not bad for a guy who didn't advertise himself as an allrounder. i am a big fan.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:31 pm

Kris wrote:[
>>>I still don't know about the sticky rice/mango thing. I have not had the guts to try it and reflexively shy away from it when it comes to dessert at thai joints.

try it!

the other rather weird, mango combo i have come to like a lot is the mango, pomelo, sago soup.  bits of pomelo add a tangy bite to the sweet dish and sago, well, is sago, and just provides texture to this concoction.

Mango Mania 3991338435_228836e91c_z

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i like to eat mangoes plain. there is this awful mampazha pachdi with veLLam (jaggery) that's made on festive occasions in TN. i hate it -- (a) it destroys the natural flavor of the fruit and (b) it is supposed to be a side dish to the usual sambar/rasam fare and it doesn't work well at all.

i do like vadu manga (pickled baby mango) though.

oh, i love mamphaza pachadi, puliserri etc.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:37 pm

bw wrote:

try it!

the other rather weird, mango combo i have come to like a lot is the mango, pomelo, sago soup.  bits of pomelo add a tangy bite to the sweet dish and sago, well, is sago, and just provides texture to this concoction.

Is the soup served hot? If not, why call it a soup?

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:

try it!

Is the soup served hot? If not, why call it a soup?

it is served chilled. well, i called it a soup coz it is 'eaten' with a spoon and not sipped with a straw.

gazpacho is served cold.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:13 pm

Mango Mania 800px-MangoAlphonso05_Asit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down