Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It is better to be born poor in Bangladesh than in India

2 posters

Go down

It is better to be born poor in Bangladesh than in India Empty It is better to be born poor in Bangladesh than in India

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Life expectancy in Bangladesh is 66.9 years compared with India’s 64.4. The proportion of underweight children in Bangladesh (41.3 percent) is lower than in India (43.5), and its fertility rate (2.3) is also lower than India’s (2.7). Mean years of schooling amount to 4.8 years in Bangladesh compared with India’s 4.4 years. While India is ahead of Bangladesh in the male literacy rate for the age group between fifteen and twenty-four, the female rate in Bangladesh is higher than in India. Interestingly, the female literacy rate among young Bangladeshis is actually higher than the male rate, whereas young women still have substantially lower rates than young males in India. There is much evidence to suggest that Bangladesh’s current progress has a great deal to do with the role that liberated Bangladeshi women are beginning to play in the country.

What about health? The mortality rate of children under five is sixty-six per thousand in India compared with fifty-two in Bangladesh. In infant mortality, Bangladesh has a similar advantage: it is fifty per thousand in India and forty-one in Bangladesh. While 94 percent of Bangladeshi children are immunized with DPT vaccine, only 66 percent of Indian children are. In each of these respects, Bangladesh does better than India, despite having only half of India’s per capita income.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/may/12/quality-life-india-vs-china/?pagination=false

Back to top Go down

It is better to be born poor in Bangladesh than in India Empty Re: It is better to be born poor in Bangladesh than in India

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:44 pm

The fact that life expectancy is higher in Bangladesh than in India and the other parameters in favor of Bangladesh are eye opening. And these are the people who Max prefers to dismiss as "riffraff".

Back to top Go down

It is better to be born poor in Bangladesh than in India Empty Re: It is better to be born poor in Bangladesh than in India

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:37 pm

i bet many of these indices are better for china and saudi arabia than india. that doesn't mean i long to be chinese or a saudi national.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i bet many of these indices are better for china and saudi arabia than india. that doesn't mean i long to be chinese or a saudi national.

will you also call the chinese "riffraff"?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:03 am

no. the reason i call them riffraff is because they create trouble in our neighborhood. look if you're so keen on bhai bhai with them why don't you shift your base to dhaka or karachi?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:07 am

it's very hard for me to relate since I neither have cultural nor linguistic ties to them. so kindly leave me out of bhai bhaing them
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:11 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's very hard for me to relate since I neither have cultural nor linguistic ties to them. so kindly leave me out of bhai bhaing them

The Brahui language, spoken in parts of Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Iran, is a dravidian language. It is said to have many linguistic similarities with Tamil. You could say bhai bhai to Brahui speakers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:25 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i bet many of these indices are better for china and saudi arabia than india. that doesn't mean i long to be chinese or a saudi national.

That aside, according to a Bengali guy, the vast improvements in the economy of Bangladesh and the Bangladeshis living  better these days is also the result of Saudi Arabia making huge investments and donating more money to Bangladesh (a fellow Muslim country) during past several decades.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

That aside, according to a Bengali guy, the vast improvements in the economy of Bangladesh and the Bangladeshis living  better these days is also the result of Saudi Arabia making huge investments and donating more money to Bangladesh (a fellow Muslim country) during past several decades.

Having said that, I must add that it is to the credit of Bangladeshi leaders and Govt. to use the foreign assistance prudently, leading to a higher standard of living for people and an improvement in the infrastructure etc.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down