Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rant

+9
Nila
Idéfix
ashaNirasha
southindian
Propagandhi711
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
garam_kuta
Merlot Daruwala
pravalika nanda
13 posters

Go down

rant Empty rant

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:15 am

I saw this woman that I knew from before, she's southern indian as well, I used to go to school with her a long time ago before I decided to take a very long break and disappear for a while. She always had this sharky, man-eater look, as in "once we're done solving this question-set we will make-out" or "I know only wear thongs" kind of way of behaving around men, even professors. I mean, I always had a lot of guy-friends but they were also my buds. And anyhow, what a small world that I have to see her after all these years.

It annoys me that she's three years ahead of me professionally, and I thought I was doing a good job, but her bmi is like 19. She's all bones and "the thing." Usually I don't care about anyone or anything and I just tune everything out but now I feel like gotta keep up with her. I saw her first, and I ducked around the counter of the starbucks, so she didn't see me. Normally, I'm very confident and I don't think too much but I feel like if I had a boyfriend I wouldn't want him to meet her. On the bright side, her head will spin and she will see the stars if she ever found out I have a career of my own. I better be good at what I do...

Do you guys have that one man or woman you just hope to never run into cuz it's just so yuck?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

rant Empty Re: rant

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:25 am

Nope.

Stop being so body-conscious and forever obsessing about BMIs and body weight (unless you are genuinely, morbidly obese).

So what if Ms Bones-and-the-thing has a BMI of 19? She probably lives on sawdust and lettuce to stay that way, has severe eating disorders and is the unhappiest person in the whole world.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:33 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Nope.

Stop being so body-conscious and forever obsessing about BMIs and body weight (unless you are genuinely, morbidly obese).

So what if Ms Bones-and-the-thing has a BMI of 19? She probably lives on sawdust and lettuce to stay that way, has severe eating disorders and is the unhappiest person in the whole world.

couldn't be more right. and agent, i  like the way you say it - terse and incisive. clap

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:35 am

**oh. maybe for you it's the other way around - do you know anyone that you instill the fear of god in and you wished it wasn't so?

** that is true, for the most part I eat what I want and it's almost always healthy stuff, I do have a sweet tooth, but I don't overeat.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:42 am

md, thanks btw.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:54 am

pravalika nanda wrote:**oh. maybe for you it's the other way around - do you know anyone that you instill the fear of god in and you wished it wasn't so?

Not that I know of. I'm easygoing and largely get along with everyone. There'll always be people with some chip on their shoulder, but one shouldn't worry about other people's complexes (unless one needs a favor from them).
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 am

garam_kuta wrote:

couldn't be more right. and agent, i  like the way you say it - terse and incisive. clap

Thanks Hot Dog. How come you're up at this hour? Traveling?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:20 am

[quote="Merlot Daruwala"]Nope.

So what if Ms Bones-and-the-thing has a BMI of 19? She probably lives on sawdust and lettuce to stay that way, has severe eating disorders and is the unhappiest person in the whole world.[/quote]

Not necessarily.... There are youngsters and some adults who can eat like a horse and look super skinny. Amazing how so much food went into that non-existing tummy and how all that food got digested with not an Oz of flesh on the body. I have some in my own family......

....and then there is me....drink diet water and breath diet air and I am 335+ pounds.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 am

MD, how do you make those goats look like lettuce and sawdust?

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:00 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:MD, how do you make those goats look like lettuce and sawdust?

lol!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:01 am

pravalika nanda wrote:Do you guys have that one man or woman you just hope to never run into cuz it's just so yuck?

The popular gang from high school. If I run into them or one of them it is fine. I will talk. Ducking is not for me. Besides, my curiousity trumps all my other emotions. Also, I know that they are all nice and sweet when met individually, specially now when they are older. But will I go ahead and plan a meeting with them? Unless there is a close friend also coming, I doubt it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 am

pravalika nanda wrote:I saw this woman that I knew from before, she's southern indian as well, I used to go to school with her a long time ago before I decided to take a very long break and disappear for a while. She always had this sharky, man-eater look, as in "once we're done solving this question-set we will make-out" or "I know only wear thongs" kind of way of behaving around men, even professors. I mean, I always had a lot of guy-friends but they were also my buds. And anyhow, what a small world that I have to see her after all these years.

It annoys me that she's three years ahead of me professionally, and I thought I was doing a good job, but her bmi is like 19. She's all bones and "the thing." Usually I don't care about anyone or anything and I just tune everything out but now I feel like gotta keep up with her. I saw her first, and I ducked around the counter of the starbucks, so she didn't see me. Normally, I'm very confident and I don't think too much but I feel like if I had a boyfriend I wouldn't want him to meet her. On the bright side, her head will spin and she will see the stars if she ever found out I have a career of my own. I better be good at what I do...

Do you guys have that one man or woman you just hope to never run into cuz it's just so yuck?

ok, here's the story about the Thing. you dumb aunties have gotten it all wrong. the Thing isnt a person, it's something the female persons have. 

some hints on what the Thing is: 
a) it's slimy most of the time, can be very temperamental and needs frequent maintenance. 
b) people have lost kingdoms and much more in pursuit of the thing. at the very least, the Thing made men suffer through shitty tearjerker movies and eat foo-foo crap at fancy restaurants.
c) admin goes easy on the people with the Thing.
d) virile1 controls access to the Thing. he also has 24x7 access to the thing that rashmun has

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:17 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:I saw this woman that I knew from before, she's southern indian as well, I used to go to school with her a long time ago before I decided to take a very long break and disappear for a while. She always had this sharky, man-eater look, as in "once we're done solving this question-set we will make-out" or "I know only wear thongs" kind of way of behaving around men, even professors. I mean, I always had a lot of guy-friends but they were also my buds. And anyhow, what a small world that I have to see her after all these years.

ok, here's the story about the Thing. you dumb aunties have gotten it all wrong. the Thing isnt a person, it's something the female persons have. 

a) it's slimy most of the time, can be very temperamental and needs frequent maintenance. 
b) people have lost kingdoms and much more in pursuit of the thing. at the very least, the Thing made men suffer through shitty tearjerker movies and eat foo-foo crap at fancy restaurants.
d) virile1 controls access to the Thing. he also has 24x7 access to the thing that rashmun has

Vagina is my final answer

Option c) gave me the hint.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:31 am

ah.. that is extreme minimalism to say that it is sooooooo generic as it's made out to be, here, by the reductionists - that tells more about them than 'the thing', i should think.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:59 am

southindian wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

technically the answer should be in the format of "what is vagina"

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:11 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
southindian wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:

technically the answer should be in the format of "what is vagina"
I wasn't playing Jeopardy. I was playing, "Who wants to be a millionaire".
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:38 pm

You know you don't have to imagine the other person eating all that, having eating disorders, being unhappy or, just the worst of them, to feel good about yourself. 

My advice to PN- Life is a long haul. At any given point, there are going to be people who are doing much better than you, either professionally, personally or financially. At the same time, if you look closely enough, there are people who might be doing worse than you. The key is to not compare yourself with anyone, aspire to do better, try to stay healthy, find happiness with what you have, and get regular pedicures. 

Now, if I can practice what I preach...

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:56 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
My advice to PN- Life is a long haul. At any given point, there are going to be people who are doing much better than you, either professionally, personally or financially. At the same time, if you look closely enough, there are people who might be doing worse than you. The key is to not compare yourself with anyone, aspire to do better, try to stay healthy, find happiness with what you have, and get regular pedicures. 

ha ha ha. good advice though. btw, what you been cooking lately? rather, what you been cooking/having-cooked/cooked/eaten lately. let me get more twisted and add "what have you been cocking lately" for the knead-ful doing of the pundits here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:00 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

You know you don't have to imagine the other person eating all that, having eating disorders, being unhappy or, just the worst of them, to feel good about yourself. 

I have come to a point in life where I cannot compare my life with just about anyone. Stuff that happened to me and the decisions I made, rather the series of stuff and in that order, I am yet to find anyone going through the same, both good and bad. I am sure it's the same for everyone by the time they hit 40. If I do compare, I only get into self-pity, and who needs that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:13 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

+1. I don't get why smart people get into this comparison game and make themselves unhappy. Enjoy what you have, and live your own life. Every single person in the world can find someone else in the world is better than them at something or the other. If you are the fastest sprinter in the world and hold the 100 m sprint world record, you can still find someone who is a better pole-vaulter than you are, not to speak of a better physicist, pianist, or poet. You can be happy with what you have and seek to improve yourself, or you can constantly compare yourself to others and be unhappy.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:16 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:

This is called the Life of UNITY. Sum total is one. you have too much money, you will have a miserable family life, or bad health. People only show the Good side of themselves, and naturally, when someone looks too good to be true, then it is.

If you practice what you preach then you will be an official loser.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:06 pm

The only one that I learnt from staying in the US for so many years is the "give a damn to what other people think of you" and let alone peak onto other people brains about their thinking of us.

May be I am ageing gracefully Smile

At the end of the day when you feel good about how you spent the day and plan for little improvements and fix flaws and look forward to the next day....makes life for me.

All that matters is Me and Myself! Nothing really matters Razz

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:16 pm

PN, i am jealous of you and your BMI. you are that man or woman for me.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:36 pm

Convo with my doc last week:

me: I am working out regularly and eating healthy, but not losing wt, doctor.

doc: why do you want to lose wt?

me: because I am overwt.

doc: You look fine. you are not overwt.

me: no, no, I AM

doc (checks the BMI on his computer): ya, your bmi is around 25, a little on the higher side, but there's no need to worry. you don't need to lose any wt.

me: but doctor...

doc: don't even think abt it. you are fine. do work out regularly and that's only to feel good and stay healthy, not to lose wt. And continue eating healthy.

me (mumbling): ok.

Case closed!

Advice to PN: 'Weight is all in your head (i'm sure your bmi is <25. no tension even if it's not). Forget about BMI. Exercise regularly and eat right to stay healthy and feel good.'

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:49 pm

doctor: ur weight last time was X, it's now X + 10.

me: u see, last time i came in june, this time in Nov.. added weight is of the clothes.

doctor: IIIIIII don't think so... X was high enough, X + 10 is bad. You need to lose weight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:doctor: ur weight last time was X, it's now X + 10.

me: u see, last time i came in june, this time in Nov.. added weight is of the clothes.

doctor: IIIIIII don't think so... X was high enough, X + 10 is bad. You need to lose weight.

lol

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Aww! Look at all you circle-jerkers being one happy family to cheer up an oft whiney junior member with self-esteem issues. This thread will be complete when JM uncle drops by to serve his own version of salt-and-pepper seasoned pep-talk, and OP gives him her own version of gag-inducing coochie-coo response.

Here's my contribution to the thread: OP should stop thinking that rival women are doing better than her due to their greater sex appeal and looser morality. It probably has more to do with their more positive, less whiney and nicer approach to life and other people. More importantly, even if OP can't help explaining away others' successes or excusing her own drawbacks with such cheap, sexist thoughts, she could at least retain enough class to not air such thoughts in public. OP should start working on her internal strife (aka ABCD syndrome) and self-esteem issues, while developing a strong value system, which is not dependent on others' validations and doesn't need to be justified to others, which is what OP is constantly seeking/providing - validations and justifications.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:20 pm

this thread tells me that fat chicks need love too. lots of it. but they gots to pay.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Nila wrote:The only one that I learnt from staying in the US for so many years is the "give a damn to what other people think of you" and let alone peak onto other people brains about their thinking of us.

May be I am ageing gracefully Smile

At the end of the day when you feel good about how you spent the day and plan for little improvements and fix flaws and look forward to the next day....makes life for me.

All that matters is Me and Myself! Nothing really matters Razz

Congratulations on becoming a patriotic True American.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Nila wrote:The only one that I learnt from staying in the US for so many years is the "give a damn to what other people think of you" and let alone peak onto other people brains about their thinking of us.

Yes, I concur. F other people. What do you think about yourself? How do you feel about yourself? What would you like to change about yourself? Yes @ "All that matters is Me and Myself! Nothing really matters."

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:49 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:. btw, what you been cooking lately? rather, what you been cooking/having-cooked/cooked/eaten lately. let me get more twisted and add "what have you been cocking lately" for the knead-ful doing of the pundits here.

Nothing interesting. Lots of every day meals, basic veggie curries, and tons of idlis and dosas. I've finally mastered the art of making the perfect, fermented batter for idlis.

I've made them for a long time, but they were always good to ok, with some times fermented/ partially fermented to never fermented batter. Now I can consistently reproduce the best batter every single time. That's been my only accomplishment to speak of lately.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:53 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:. btw, what you been cooking lately? rather, what you been cooking/having-cooked/cooked/eaten lately. let me get more twisted and add "what have you been cocking lately" for the knead-ful doing of the pundits here.

Nothing interesting. Lots of every day meals, basic veggie curries, and tons of idlis and dosas. I've finally mastered the art of making the perfect, fermented batter for idlis.

I've made them for a long time, but they were always good to ok, with some times fermented/ partially fermented to never fermented batter. Now I can consistently reproduce the best batter every single time. That's been my only accomplishment to speak of lately.

Due to some necessities, I had to really "cook" some quick meals.. As is my principle...I wanted to make it all under 10 min..

So I learnt to make 10 min Rasam; 10-min rice; 10-min pasta; 10 - min dal; 10-min curry; 10-min egg curry; 10-min tortilla veggie rolls; 10-min tosated sandwiches...

damn.. I am going to come up with a book on 10-min cooking healthy foods.

P.S. and women think without them men will starve....Razz:P:P:P

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:54 am

ashaNirasha wrote: I've finally mastered the art of making the perfect, fermented batter for idlis.
share it.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:23 pm

yes, that was petty.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:07 am

>>>Honestly, this will drain you in fairly short order. Concentrate instead on what you want to improve in yourself, without reference to living up to someone else's expectations. A quaint saying I heard or read somewhere, 'you can't play an extra in your own life'

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:19 am

Kris wrote:
>>>Honestly, this will drain you in fairly short order. Concentrate instead on what you want to improve in yourself, without reference to living up to someone else's expectations. A quaint saying I heard or read somewhere, 'you can't play an extra in your own life'
I am so jealous of PN.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:28 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:
I am so jealous of PN.
>>>Me too. 'I have only one regret in life, that I am not someone else'Smile
(Ok, shamelessly borrowed line from Woody Allen)

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down