Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

habanero peppers

+7
Propagandhi711
Nila
Impedimenta
goodcitizn
indophile
ashaNirasha
Bittu
11 posters

Go down

habanero peppers Empty habanero peppers

Post by Bittu Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:00 pm

I should have 50-60 of these ripe and ready in 2 weeks:

habanero peppers SID_1569

and then I have four scotch bonnet pepper plants that will give me ~200 peppers in 2 months.

How can I use/preserve these things? One thing I'm definitely going to do is to use them in a chutney I'll make with raw mangoes, jaggery, vinegar, salt and some spices. That should take care of 20-30 of these. What should I do with the rest? Any chutney/preserve/pickle ideas? They are insanely hot. And yes, if eaten imprudently, it's total rape time on the digestive system.

TIA

Bittu

Back to top Go down

habanero peppers Empty Re: habanero peppers

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:02 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:19 pm

kinnera wrote:

pancho vescondi kalapukondi nantundi loda lassan this vid jarred my brain with the lingo. Thanks for posting though, appreciate it kin.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Bittu wrote:
pancho vescondi kalapukondi nantundi loda lassan this vid jarred my brain with the lingo. Thanks for posting though, appreciate it kin.

LOL! yeah, something on the lines of pujam, prasadam, donesham Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:10 pm

I will never ever have anything to do with those peppers. I will not eat anything with it, I will not touch them, buy them, look at them. 

I once made mirchi ka salan with those and had instant horrendous heart burn after just a bite. I don't think I made mirchi ka salan after that, even with any other kinds of peppers.

Do you know any one that you don't particularly like? Give it to them, or mail them to assorted Suchers.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:40 am

ashaNirasha wrote:I will never ever have anything to do with those peppers. I will not eat anything with it, I will not touch them, buy them, look at them. 

What is your address? I'm going to send you a rakhi. No wait, it's the other way around, you need to send me one.

Yeah you sound just like my sister. "omg just chuck them". I asked my mom for some ideas and she echoed what my sis said.

I googled last night and found a few more ideas. There is this awesome mexican preserve with garlic and peppers that I'm going to make.

Lastly, habareno parathas. Yep, I'll make a batch of these too. Will mince and knead the peppers into the dough. I can use them to prank some unsuspecting guests.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 am

ashaNirasha wrote:I will never ever have anything to do with those peppers. I will not eat anything with it, I will not touch them, buy them, look at them. 

I once made mirchi ka salan with those and had instant horrendous heart burn after just a bite. I don't think I made mirchi ka salan after that, even with any other kinds of peppers.

Do you know any one that you don't particularly like? Give it to them, or mail them to assorted Suchers.
rofl rofl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:17 am

Did I just read it right? Bittu asking random online aunty to become his rakhi sister. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 am

kinnera wrote:
Bittu wrote:
 LOL! yeah, something on the lines of pujam, prasadam, donesham Razz
A Trinidad pepper, and the Indian "Bhoot Jolokia" beat Habenaro hands down in hotness.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:33 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Did I just read it right? Bittu asking random online aunty to become his rakhi sister. :shock:
yeh kahaaaaan aa gaye hum..............................................yun hi Internet khelte khelte......... :cry: 

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:38 am

indophile wrote:
A Trinidad pepper, and the Indian "Bhoot Jolokia" beat Habenaro hands down in hotness.
Indo, thanks for that info. Most of us will tend to stay away from Bhut Jolokia peppers because they are just way too intense. They're the 150 proof alcohol of the pepper world. Not very "enjoyable".

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 am

indophile wrote:A Trinidad pepper, and the Indian "Bhoot Jolokia" beat Habenaro hands down in hotness.
Moruga Scorpion peppers from Trinidad are supposed to be hotter than Bhoot Jolokias.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:19 am

Habaneros, IMO, push the pain-and-pleasure envelope. Anything hotter than them becomes more about the pain and less about the pleasure.

Man I'm so bored this morning. Should try to do some work...

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:47 am

Bittu wrote:Habaneros, IMO, push the pain-and-pleasure envelope. Anything hotter than them becomes more about the pain and less about the pleasure.
Everything seems to come down to the pain/pleasure balance. I gave up alcohol because the balance tilted more towards pain. Now I am working on making healthier choices with food albeit it's much harder to do. Seems like addiction of any kind needs to be evaluated on the basis of pleasure versus pain.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:04 am

generally a heartburn inducing thread :-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Oopsies, you cannot make wine with that. I would rather have a lit scotch than having anything made with these peppers.

Once I used these to ferment the idly batter and the batter fermented in 3 hours. (Yes, you can ferment the batter by adding an uncut pepper to the batter for fast processing the fermentation) But then the batter was blended with the pepper flavor. I use only Thai pepper and lately some unknown name pepper works great and fab.

The only option you  have is to find a company that makes pepper spray and sell it to them.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:15 pm

Nila wrote:Oopsies, you cannot make wine with that. I would rather have a lit scotch than having anything made with these peppers.
The only option you  have is to find a company that makes pepper spray and sell it to them.
Apparently organic farms use spray extracted from some of the hottest peppers as an effective, natural insecticide. That tells you how lethal they can be on your system.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:31 pm

pussies. habanero sauce tastes awesome with roasted chicken.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:pussies. habanero sauce tastes awesome with roasted chicken.
I can't imagine how you can taste anything when your tongue is on fire. Must be a gulti thing to feel macho.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:40 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:pussies. habanero sauce tastes awesome with roasted chicken.
I can't imagine how you can taste anything when your tongue is on fire. Must be a gulti thing to feel macho.
My wife has a theory: if you eat a lot of spicy food starting at a young age, your taste buds get desensitized, so your tongue is not on fire with the same food that burns others. Because your taste buds are dead, you end up wanting more and more spicy food, it's a vicious circle, etc. etc. It sounds plausible to me, but I don't know anything about the physiology of taste.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:01 pm

Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
My wife has a theory: if you eat a lot of spicy food starting at a young age, your taste buds get desensitized, so your tongue is not on fire with the same food that burns others. Because your taste buds are dead, you end up wanting more and more spicy food, it's a vicious circle, etc. etc. It sounds plausible to me, but I don't know anything about the physiology of taste.
Your wife may have a point there. Years ago I was in an Indian restaurant in Cincinnati called Mayura where there was a dish called vindaloo. I ordered it thinking I could handle it. I was told it was an Andhra dish althought I don't think the name has its origin in AP. Be that as it may, when I started eating the food my tongue and the roof of my mouth went into a state of inferno that gulping cold water was no relief. Apparently, some like it hot!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:24 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
I like the heat from peppers, ginger etc but hate it when it comes from garam masala, including cloves. there's a mexican chicken place that gives me their off-menu good stuff made out of habaneros and it's amazing. you cant use it like regular salsa but the taste of a good pepper is something else

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:26 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Your wife may have a point there. Years ago I was in an Indian restaurant in Cincinnati called Mayura where there was a dish called vindaloo. I ordered it thinking I could handle it. I was told it was an Andhra dish althought I don't think the name has its origin in AP. Be that as it may, when I started eating the food my tongue and the roof of my mouth went into a state of inferno that gulping cold water was no relief. Apparently, some like it hot!
vindaloo is goan. it' meh if you ask me. now a real chicken dish from krishna/guntur/nellore and even the chettinad variety cant be beat...it aint good chicken if you aint sweating bullets

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Thai "green curry" chicken can blow your head off too. That together with the local Thai whiskey (with a baby cobra in the bottle) will make your day (or evening):-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQR7BGtr-lE

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:18 pm

i don't see the point of eating chillies to the point of becoming numb with pain. OTOH i like spiciness from peppercorns.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
 this is from wiki:

Capsaicin selectively binds to a protein (TRP1) that resides on the membranes of pain and heat sensing neurons. TRPV1 is a heat activated calcium channel, which opens between 37 and 45 °C (98.6 and 113 °F, respectively). When capsaicin binds to TRPV1, it causes the channel to open below 37 °C (normal human body temperature), which is why capsaicin is linked to the sensation of heat. Prolonged activation of these neurons by capsaicin depletes substance P, one of the body's neurotransmitters for pain and heat.

The result appears to be that the chemical mimics a burning sensation, the nerves are overwhelmed by the influx, and are unable to report pain for an extended period of time. With chronic exposure to capsaicin, neurons are depleted of neurotransmitters, leading to reduction in sensation of pain and blockade of neurogenic inflammation.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:02 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't see the point of eating chillies to the point of becoming numb with pain. OTOH i like spiciness from peppercorns.
me too, I love pongal for that reason, we use whole peppercorns. and I make fettucine with broccoli and cracked peppercorns, salt and butter, it's got a pleasant woody, earthy flavor and not sure you can call that spiciness. I think for spiciness you have to have those crazy garam masala things.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:04 pm

indophile wrote:Thai "green curry" chicken can blow your head off too. That together with the local Thai whiskey (with a baby cobra in the bottle) will make your day (or evening):-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQR7BGtr-lE
 that's inhumane and downright disgusting. you actually drink this kind of stuff?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
 this is from wiki:

Capsaicin selectively binds to a protein (TRP1) that resides on the membranes of pain and heat sensing neurons. TRPV1 is a heat activated calcium channel, which opens between 37 and 45 °C (98.6 and 113 °F, respectively). When capsaicin binds to TRPV1, it causes the channel to open below 37 °C (normal human body temperature), which is why capsaicin is linked to the sensation of heat. Prolonged activation of these neurons by capsaicin depletes substance P, one of the body's neurotransmitters for pain and heat.

The result appears to be that the chemical mimics a burning sensation, the nerves are overwhelmed by the influx, and are unable to report pain for an extended period of time. With chronic exposure to capsaicin, neurons are depleted of neurotransmitters, leading to reduction in sensation of pain and blockade of neurogenic inflammation.
Thanks for posting that -- interesting! So does this mean that there is inflammation but the neurons are too depleted of transmitters, so they just don't report it? Or in other words, people who have a high tolerance for spicy food don't actually produce less inflammation with the same food, but only feel less pain with the same level of inflammation?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:09 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:vindaloo is goan. it' meh if you ask me. now a real chicken dish from krishna/guntur/nellore and even the chettinad variety cant be beat...it aint good chicken if you aint sweating bullets
You're entitled to your opinion. I'm not into having dinner and sauna at the same time!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 pm

Idéfix wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
 this is from wiki:

Thanks for posting that -- interesting! So does this mean that there is inflammation but the neurons are too depleted of transmitters, so they just don't report it?

** Yes, they state that substance P is depleted and hence pain is not reported to the higher centers in the brain.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 pm

goodcitizn wrote:I'm not into having dinner and sauna at the same time!
I once took out a Swiss client to dinner at a southern Indian restaurant in Hyderabad. He said the next morning, "I thought it would burn just once, but I was so wrong!"
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Idéfix wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
 this is from wiki:

Thanks for posting that -- interesting! So does this mean that there is inflammation but the neurons are too depleted of transmitters, so they just don't report it? Or in other words, people who have a high tolerance for spicy food don't actually produce less inflammation with the same food, but only feel less pain with the same level of inflammation?
 also, if u abstain from spicy for sometime, will u develop the sensors back?

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:50 pm

Idéfix wrote:
I once took out a Swiss client to dinner at a southern Indian restaurant in Hyderabad. He said the next morning, "I thought it would burn just once, but I was so wrong!"
LOL! Here's a variation of Ogden Nash quip:

Large intake of spicy food
Fills me with wonderment
What is sanguine to the palate
Is so fiery on the fundament

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:20 am

Idéfix wrote:
>>>The other version I have heard from an old boss with reference to a Thai place ' I suffered twice'. On a somewhat related note, I used to take my direct reports out to lunch once a month in the late 90's. They took a fancy to an Indian joint (in Walnut Creek) which had *the* worst Indian food. I used to get outvoted every time, despite my best efforts to steer them toward other ethnic fare.  This got to the point where I started dreading those days. I met up with an Indian  client some time ago for lunch in the same area and recounted this story. He laughed and asked me if it was 'Mother India' which was correct. He said the ownership had changed (maybe even the name), but the food has always been horrible.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:33 am

Kris wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
>>>The other version I have heard from an old boss with reference to a Thai place ' I suffered twice'. On a somewhat related note, I used to take my direct reports out to lunch once a month in the late 90's. They took a fancy to an Indian joint (in Walnut Creek) which had *the* worst Indian food. I used to get outvoted every time, despite my best efforts to steer them toward other ethnic fare.  This got to the point where I started dreading those days. I met up with an Indian  client some time ago for lunch in the same area and recounted this story. He laughed and asked me if it was 'Mother India' which was correct. He said the ownership had changed (maybe even the name), but the food has always been horrible.
Hahaha, that sounds like a familiar story!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down