Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kadhi recipe

+8
confuzzled dude
Nila
Merlot Daruwala
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Idéfix
Bittu
MaxEntropy_Man
Impedimenta
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kadhi recipe Empty Kadhi recipe

Post by Impedimenta Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:23 pm

...there is bengali, gujarathi and punjabi versions all with different colors Shocked  very confused. i love this dish. someone please point me to one version which is authentic and tasty. TIA.

what are the basic ingredients of this dish?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Kadhi recipe Empty Re: Kadhi recipe

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:30 pm

when it comes to culinary things northindian, these ladies rock:

disclaimer: i have no connection with them. i am not one of their feet washers, or raakhi bhaiyas. i just like their presentation.

(-:
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:32 pm

I like punjabi kadhi the best. gujarati kadhi is sugary crap. bengali kadhi, didn't know.

http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/punjabi-kadhi--.aspx

I like this one too, it has garlic and fewer ingredients overall: http://www.tarladalal.com/Punjabi-Kadhi-%28-Punjabi-Khana-%29-30901r

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:34 pm

there is no sugar in the show me the curry gujarati khadi recipe.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:37 pm

I have tried Sanjeev Kapoor's Punjabi recipe, and I liked the results. You can replace the pakodas with veggies if you don't want it to be too rich. We tried making the kadhi with whole benDakAya, and with sliced radish. Worked well with both.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there is no sugar in the show me the curry gujarati khadi recipe.
google gujarati kadhi recipe. sugar is a mandatory ingredient in gujarathi kadhi. Looks like these Show Me The Curry bytches are clueless.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Idéfix wrote:I have tried Sanjeev Kapoor's Punjabi recipe, and I liked the results. You can replace the pakodas with veggies if you don't want it to be too rich. We tried making the kadhi with whole benDakAya, and with sliced radish. Worked well with both.
I like Sanjeev Kapoor's recipes. They are simple to assemble. Ingredients and process, both are succinct.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:(-:
:-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:46 pm

yaaaaa gujju kadhi has sugar -- it's de riguer. if you don't believe me ask tarla dalal.

impy, throw away all recipes. ask me for the balls kadhi recipe tomorrow. i may or may not respond. it involves mustard oil btw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:50 pm

By the way Max, these Show Me The Curry hoes are a pair of annoying, clueless cumquats. I remember running into their shows on youtube years ago and rejecting their stuff almost immediately. Did you even PROCESS this kadhi video? You like their presentation and that's fine, but that's not going to get you good kadhi on the table. They took a WHOLE bunch of ingredients and jammed them into this recipe. Take another look at it. It's a fucked up recipe with way too many ingredients.

Best case scenario, watch their vids and jack off to them if these dandiya twirling hoebags turn you on. For better recipes, look elsewhere.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:58 pm

And then there is Sindhi kadhi, which is not even the kadhi as we know it but it's solid in terms of ingredients, lots of veggies. And unlike other kadhis, takes a long time to make.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:59 pm

i do remember following the recipe and making it a a few times. my recollection is that it turned out well. another recipe i have successfully adapted from their video is sabudana khichdi. whenever i tried making it, i used to get an awful lumpy mess. these women had some tips on their video to get it right and it indeed turned out well when i followed it. that's not to say there aren't better recipes out there.  i have to try sanjeev kapoor's recipe for pujabi khadi.  there is a sardar, whatshisface who used to post videos on kapoor's channel. i think he has his own youtube channel now. IIRC his name is harpal singh sokhi. he's another guy whose recipes i like.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:03 pm

haven't tried this, but i like the sardar's recipes usually, so it's probably good.

the running recipe goes on to about 1:26 after which he actually makes the thing.

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Bittu wrote:I like punjabi kadhi the best. gujarati kadhi is sugary crap. bengali kadhi, didn't know.

I like this one too, it has garlic and fewer ingredients overall: http://www.tarladalal.com/Punjabi-Kadhi-%28-Punjabi-Khana-%29-30901r
i am tempted to try this (sanjeev kapoor). but onions, fenugreek etc. in the pakoda is making me rethink. i think i'll pass. :-) i'd rather eat the gujju kadhi (which i really like -- the tarla dalal recipe). texas for the link though. btw, harpal singh sokhi is the brand ambassador of a premise i have give out on rent lately. the restaurant is yet to be opened but i am looking forward to some free and savoury fare.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:And then there is Sindhi kadhi, which is not even the kadhi as we know it but it's solid in terms of ingredients, lots of veggies. And unlike other kadhis, takes a long time to make.
yes. it's actually a pulaw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:08 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Bittu wrote:I like punjabi kadhi the best. gujarati kadhi is sugary crap. bengali kadhi, didn't know.

i am tempted to try this (sanjeev kapoor). but onions, fenugreek etc. in the pakoda is making me rethink. i think i'll pass. :-) i'd rather eat the gujju kadhi (which i really like -- the tarla dalal recipe). texas for the link though. btw, harpal singh sokhi is the brand ambassador of a premise i have give out on rent lately. the restaurant is yet to be opened but i am looking forward to some free and savoury fare.
 you can make plain pakodas and call it not-so-punjabi kadhi... that's what i grew up eating. ... soft besan pakodas done in basic spices in kadhi. Our winter variation would be mattar Kadhi, which is what i make more here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:13 pm

Impedimenta wrote:...there is bengali, gujarathi and punjabi versions all with different colors Shocked  very confused. i love this dish. someone please point me to one version which is authentic and tasty. TIA.

what are the basic ingredients of this dish?
What is this Kaadhi and Kadi and Kadhi...

A simple plan mOrKozhambu is what it is ... It is a Thamizhian dish that Naarthie Gujju/Marathi and other Hindians are copying and stealing..

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

you can make plain pakodas and call it not-so-punjabi kadhi... that's what i grew up eating. ... soft besan pakodas done in basic spices in kadhi.
unequivocal yes. only mustard oil is missing in the tadka (which does not make any big difference).

impy: go for balls kadhi.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

A simple plan mOrKozhambu is what it is ...
no. i don't know any mOrkozhambu recipe that calls for besan flour.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

rofl 

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i googled after i wrote this and apparently there are a few recipes that use besan flour that are masquerading as mOrkozhambu recipes. so let me amend what i wrote, and say that i don't know any self-respecting mOrkozhambu recipe that calls for besan flour.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:35 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:And then there is Sindhi kadhi, which is not even the kadhi as we know it but it's solid in terms of ingredients, lots of veggies. And unlike other kadhis, takes a long time to make.
yes. it's actually a pulaw.
no, it is not a pulaw. it has assorted veggies. i read about it long ago so i got confused i think.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:39 am

impy starts this thread and then goes MIA.

arre kadhi banana hai ki nahi aapko? ya sirf phekna hai idhar? :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:06 am

I was traumatized by the absolutely horrendous version of the punjabi kadhi served at our hostel mess, so I just can't bring myself to have this stuff till date.

Gujju kadhi is sweet, yuck. Give me a good majjige huLi any day.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:18 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Steal the mOrkozhambu and add a little besan flour and call it "Kaadi" and every one goes "woww...".....then P{unjus will add wheat flour and Gujjus will add some sugar.....

Sorry it is still mOrKozhambu...

Stated with the usual certainty and Swami's "stamp of authority"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:31 am

Steal the mOrkozhambu and add a little besan flour and call it "Kaadi" and every one goes  "woww...".....then P{unjus will add wheat flour and Gujjus will add some sugar..... 
scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:29 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:yaaaaa gujju kadhi has sugar -- it's de riguer. if you don't believe me ask tarla dalal.

impy, throw away all recipes. ask me for the balls kadhi recipe tomorrow. i may or may not respond. it involves mustard oil btw.
 Good lord! i am afraid to ask for the recipe. affraid

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:30 pm

upps, please don't talk ill about morkuzhambu. besan and morkuzhambu? why o why? it is like drinking bru and going around saying that one had coffee.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:34 pm

I never got the morkozhambu right...yep adding besan to it makes it a gujju dish and ruins it's authenticity.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:49 pm

Nila wrote:I never got the morkozhambu right...yep adding besan to it makes it a gujju dish and ruins it's authenticity.
 When adding yogurt to a recipe (any recipe) and boiling it, it helps to add a little besan (mixed in yogurt) as it prevents the breaking (coagulation?) of the yogurt and the yogurt remains nice and thick.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:impy starts this thread and then goes MIA.

arre kadhi banana hai ki nahi aapko? ya sirf phekna hai idhar? :-)
For a second I was like what the heck is kadhi banana(Kela)

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:38 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
For a second, right? After that second passed, you realized what he meant and then it was all good. You still thought of writing it because everyone will think it's so funny.

ha ha pancho ha ha.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I was traumatized by the absolutely horrendous version of the punjabi kadhi served at our hostel mess, so I just can't bring myself to have this stuff till date.

EXACTLY....Thanks to us Thamizhans, Kannadigas have Majjige huLi - nothing wrong with that and we are glad to share it with our Kannadiga Brethren.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Bittu wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
For a second, right? After that second passed, you realized what he meant and then it was all good. You still thought of writing it because everyone will think it's so funny.

ha ha pancho ha ha.
Nope. I thought someone might prove me wrong, and post recipe for banana kadhi.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:55 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I was traumatized by the absolutely horrendous version of the punjabi kadhi served at our hostel mess, so I just can't bring myself to have this stuff till date.

EXACTLY....Thanks to us Thamizhans, Kannadigas have Majjige huLi - nothing wrong with that and we are glad to share it with our Kannadiga Brethren.
My best buddy is a Punjabi who serves me kadhi at his home because I love it a lot. Believe it or not, it is similar to what my mom makes called mOrkozhambu.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:15 pm

kinnera wrote:
Nila wrote:I never got the morkozhambu right...yep adding besan to it makes it a gujju dish and ruins it's authenticity.
 When adding yogurt to a recipe (any recipe) and boiling it, it helps to add a little besan (mixed in yogurt) as it prevents the breaking (coagulation?) of the yogurt and the yogurt remains nice and thick.
 I haven't tried it with besan...may be that is why it tastes awful. I never got that dish right.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:18 pm

kinnera wrote:
maybe so kin but besan "spoils" the taste of morkuzhambu. Fresh coconut is ground with green chillies and the well ground mixture is added to thick sour buttermilk or well beaten curds. Note: sourness is very important. This is cooked with gourd and heated at a very low flame till small bubbles start appearing on the surface. Heat is turned off at this crucial moment and the dish is seasoned with kadugu [mustard seeds], menthayam [fenugreek seeds] and redchillies.

Not sure why anyone would want to add besan to this preperation. your binding agent is in your cooking methodology.

KEY: home made curd is important and of course, without the sourness, this dish is useless.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:20 pm

I absolutely love majjige huLi! The Chana daal soaked for half an hour, red chillies, coriander seeds, jeera, coconut, a small piece of ginger and hing cooked along with sour curd and capsicum, oh yummy indeed!!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:32 pm

kinnera wrote:
the key to making good mOrkozhambu is cooking on low heat for a long time. that way you prevent the breakdown of milk fat. adding besan is a no-no.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
kinnera wrote:
maybe so kin but besan "spoils" the taste of morkuzhambu. Fresh coconut is ground with green chillies and the well ground mixture is added to thick sour buttermilk or well beaten curds. Note: sourness is very important. This is cooked with gourd and heated at a very low flame till small bubbles start appearing on the surface. Heat is turned off at this crucial moment and the dish is seasoned with kadugu [mustard seeds], menthayam [fenugreek seeds] and redchillies.

Not sure why anyone would want to add besan to this preperation. your binding agent is in your cooking methodology.

KEY: home made curd is important and of course, without the sourness, this dish is useless.

Oh it could be the sourness of the curd. This weekend I am gonna try it...already drooling.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
kinnera wrote:

Kadhi without besan is no "kadhi", it's called "khohru" even if it remains uncurdled.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
kinnera wrote:

Kadhi without besan is no "kadhi", it's called "khohru" even if it remains uncurdled.
she's not talking about kadhi.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:04 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
kinnera wrote:

This is a general statement anyway ... Kadhi without besan is no "kadhi", it's called "khohru" even if it remains uncurdled.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:10 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
kinnera wrote: When adding yogurt to a recipe (any recipe) and boiling it, it helps to add a little besan (mixed in yogurt) as it prevents the breaking (coagulation?) of the yogurt and the yogurt remains nice and thick.

This is a general statement anyway ... Kadhi without besan is no "kadhi", it's called "khohru" even if it remains uncurdled.
thats right sevaji. you stand firm on your position. we can argue this on separate tracks till the cows come home. the weekend's just getting started

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:19 pm

This is too much. I am sick, and hungry, and reading about kadhi all day long. something's gotta give dammit. i am going to stop in an indian store on my way home today and buy punjabi kadhi frozen packet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:This is too much. I am sick, and hungry, and reading about kadhi all day long. something's gotta give dammit. i am going to stop in an indian store on my way home today and buy punjabi kadhi frozen packet.
have you considered that what you're hungry for is dick but you're trying to satisfy it with kadi? think about that for a minute. make a good cup of coffee on saturday morning and meditate on that for a good half hour and get back to me with the results.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Kadhi recipe 638de320bf5f0130e7ff001dd8b71c47?width=453
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:This is too much. I am sick, and hungry, and reading about kadhi all day long. something's gotta give dammit. i am going to stop in an indian store on my way home today and buy punjabi kadhi frozen packet.
have you considered that what you're hungry for is dick but you're trying to satisfy it with kadi? think about that for a minute. make a good cup of coffee on saturday morning and meditate on that for a good half hour and get back to me with the results.
well, today i m hungry for kadhi... and i am sick. I was looking forward to hanging out with some friends tonight, and now it's not happening. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:24 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:
well, today i m hungry for kadhi... and i am sick. I was looking forward to hanging out with some friends tonight, and now it's not happening. Sad
see, there was no contemplation behind the response, just a litany of complaints and kneejerk denials. I still recommend coffee and deep contemplation

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Impedimenta wrote:maybe so kin but besan "spoils" the taste of morkuzhambu. Fresh coconut is ground with green chillies and the well ground mixture is added to thick sour buttermilk or well beaten curds. Note: sourness is very important. This is cooked with gourd and heated at a very low flame till small bubbles start appearing on the surface. Heat is turned off at this crucial moment and the dish is seasoned with kadugu [mustard seeds], menthayam [fenugreek seeds] and redchillies.

Thanks, Imps. I do cook on slow flame for the recipes that i add yogurt, but half the time the yogurt breaks and spoils the recipe. sometimes i even add some ice cubes to cool down the pan before adding yogurt, but no luck. adding a li'l besan really helps. I love that tip!
Anyway, after coming back from india, i'll try both the khadi and morkuzhambu recipes. i hope both of them come out well, esp morkulambu, without having the yogurt coagulated. will see which one i like the best. Wink

Meanwhile, here's a healthy recipe that i tried: sprouted masoor salad

Kadhi recipe O8hnPwv
Kadhi recipe O8hnpw10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next