Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any Type-2 Diabetes guys/gals here?

+2
Hellsangel
The Absolute Zero
6 posters

Go down

Any Type-2 Diabetes guys/gals here? Empty Any Type-2 Diabetes guys/gals here?

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:40 am

Just before the onset, what was the feeling like? Symptoms? I am *NOT* asking for google links. I am asking for your personal stuff. How did you get to know you had it and what are your immediate reactions, side effects etc?

And importantly do you still have it and if so how are you controlling it? TIA.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Any Type-2 Diabetes guys/gals here? Empty Re: Any Type-2 Diabetes guys/gals here?

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:46 am

Are you going to try the 600 calorie diet?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Any Type-2 Diabetes guys/gals here? Empty Re: Any Type-2 Diabetes guys/gals here?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:54 am

I don't know if I have it, but I always think I am on the onset. Whenever I feel super thirsty, I think I am having it. Or I psyche myself into thinking I hate sweet snacks when I overeat them. Whenever I see ants in the bathroom, I get scared.

Major family history on both the sides. Two daughters of my uncle have it. One is 45, she had it since 40. Another is 39, she also got it positive earlier this year. Both of our dads had/has it. Theirs from the age of 40, mine from the age of 52.

I was *this* close to getting Gestational diabetes in second pg, passed the tests by a nose, but still went on a diabetic diet - no sugar, low carbs. Didn't gain even HALF a pound in the third trimester, that's how scared I was. And the doc delivered the baby a lil early anyway.

My last September annual showed a decent fasting number. Less than 90 I think. *keeping fingers crossed*.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:06 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:Just before the onset, what was the feeling like? Symptoms? I am *NOT* asking for google links. I am asking for your personal stuff. How did you get to know you had it and what are your immediate reactions, side effects etc?

And importantly do you still have it and if so how are you controlling it? TIA.

You will have no symptoms just before the onset. That is why most dont realize it and when they realize it and confirm it - they have a full blown DM.

SaamiYaaar Gyan: If your fasting glucose shows in the range 100-110, and A1C is above 6.5 then CONSIDER yourself a Diabetic and eat/exercise/ lose weight like a diabetic. That way you can postpone your actual diagnosis for a few more years.

In India, they consider random BS > 200 and A1C > 8 as Diabetic, and the people eat away and bloat away like crazy. If Indian Docs followed the American Family Practice Physicians (the strictest guideline), the entire Indian population will be branded diabetic.

Consider yourself a Diabetic and lead an Ascetic...ooops Diabetic life to avoid Diabetes.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:13 am

taz, I don't think there are any symptoms till your sugar is in very high level. Both my parents had type 2 but they never had any symptoms. Like tw i too am in high risk. I have taken some precautions: I use sugarfree in my coffee, avoid sweets and rice totally, exercise and get my blood glucose tested every month. Are you in prediabetes?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:25 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:taz, ....Are you in prediabetes?

I do not know. Last week random testing showed fasting blood sugar at 86. This test was done at 11 AM but I did drink water and black tea and no other solid foods b4 the test. I do not use sugar or sugar substitutes. I drink coffee without any sugar but do eat rice and roti. Also the test was done with a machine after blood was drawn from fingertip. The nurse said the test is not as accurate as the normal vien blood draw test.

But last nite after pizza I am feeling dizzy a bit. My other blood numbers are normal. Hyperglycemia it could be. But have to admit I over ate and over drank the mountain due. Yes we have a 3 generation history of diabetes in family.

Thanks saamiyar, TW for the insight. I like the "gyan" of saamiyar. Very true about Indian population.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:30 am

fasting of 86 is a good thing. no? If I were you, I would not worry for another year. Actually, I am in the same boat. Had low fasting last september and won't worry until the next one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:34 am

Fasting sugar of 86 is a red herring. Certainly, the dizziness after a Pizza is a warning sign.

Any dizziness is an Yellow Card.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:43 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:taz, ....Are you in prediabetes?

Last week random testing showed fasting blood sugar at 86. This test was done at 11 AM but I did drink water and black tea and no other solid foods b4 the test.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Hutt bloddy troller.

Go eat your rice with rice.

My fasting is between 90 and 100 these days

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:47 am

HK
This is not troll and neither am I a troller. I have been on these discussions (from sulekha onwards) since 2000. With genetics I could be diabetic but everytime I have a test, sugar is always low - worst was 95 and never touched 100. An year ago A1C was normal. Doctor told me not to worry.

So whats with dizzyness? May be I should go with A1C again. Dizzyness is still there but lot better than last night. Something is screwing up inside and playing hide and seek with me.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:50 am

any dizziness needs to be checked. I used to get dizzy some years back and got everything done. CT scan, MRI for my kidneys. stress test for my heart.. the works. Doc couldn't find anything major. I still worry about it when I am driving.

Maybe the pizza had a little 'something something'...
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:54 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:HK
This is not troll and neither am I a troller. I have been on these discussions (from sulekha onwards) since 2000. With genetics I could be diabetic but everytime I have a test, sugar is always low - worst was 95 and never touched 100. An year ago A1C was normal. Doctor told me not to worry.

So whats with dizzyness? May be I should go with A1C again. Dizzyness is still there but lot better than last night. Something is screwing up inside and playing hide and seek with me.

With home tests mine has been in late 90s often. However with proper blood tests, the max has been 92-93. Lets see what it is this year.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:16 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:Maybe the pizza had a little 'something something'...

It was plain cheesy stuff with veggie toppings but dribbling with oil. I remove cheese b4 eating but you cannot remove all. I also over drank the mountain due. Too much sugar made me hyperglycemic methinks. Let us see if this linger for another day. If it does I will call the doc.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:17 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:

Maybe the pizza had a little 'something something'...
I heard of magic brownies. Never heard of magic pizza.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:05 pm

is it possible that most of you are hypochondiac worry warts? AZ, how does your wife put up with you?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Yet to read this thread....but dealing with hypochondiacs is quite a strain ....my mom clearly fall under this category silent
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:14 pm

rekz, you can tell me all about it over coffee when we meat this summer in chennai as you've suggested.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:23 pm

sweetheart-my right eye is flickering ..bad sign pale
so let's cancel the plan....I doubt if i can handle ur multiple personality disorder...pls don't be mad at me Sad
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:45 pm

yeah am beginning to think that you're one of those CTs that likes to play teen girlish dramas and not a serious aunty on prowl. date cancelled then.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:48 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:yeah am beginning to think that you're one of those CTs that likes to play teen girlish dramas and not a serious aunty on prowl. date cancelled then.

propa sweetheart.... what, just wanted to see how it feels calling you that... silent silent silent naaah.. doesn't gel.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:yeah am beginning to think that you're one of those CTs that likes to play teen girlish dramas and not a serious aunty on prowl. date cancelled then.

Wink dont get riled up - am just playing with you Wink

forget coffee date & subway...how abt giving some suggestions on coping with Hypochondriacs Smile

Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:19 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

propa sweetheart.... what, just wanted to see how it feels calling you that... silent silent silent naaah.. doesn't gel.

ufff....yet another haddi
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:20 pm

was there a kabab?

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:29 pm

still in my chaddi, dear haddi.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down