Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mysteries of Ancient India

3 posters

Go down

Mysteries of Ancient India Empty Mysteries of Ancient India

Post by harharmahadev Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:32 pm

I'm in the process of writing a book about ancient India, called Tantra.  While researching on this subject, I feel I have developed some theories about Indian history. Part of me feels that there are some truths that have been buried because of it's controversial nature or because what was acceptable then is no longer acceptable.

Here are my 10 points I wish to make.  These are not listed in any order, but just a brain-dump.

1. There is no religion called Hinduism. It's just a random epithet that lumps all the varied religions practiced in the Indian sub-continent into one over-arching religion. It's like lumping everybody living in the Mediterranean - Christians and Muslims - into one religion and call them "Mediterros'.

2. In ancient India, there were 2 religions - Dharmic and Tantric/Shaivik. You either followed Dharma and worshipped Vishnu and his avatars or did not follow Dharma, and automatically became a follower of Shiva. Followers of Dharma have to worship Vishnu. Followers of aDharma do not have to worship Shiva, but may choose to.

3. Dharma, per ancient India, means adherence to the caste system. Per Dharma, every individual must be a Karmayogi. Karma means performing your duty as determined by your birth. Yoga means following instruction.

4. Dharmic duties have been clearly documented and expounded upon in a variety of texts, including Shrimad Bhagavatam, Bhagavat Gita, Upanishads and Manusmriti.

5. In the past 200 years of so, there have been several attempts to erase, re-interpret or re-write our religious texts and history. This may have been to assimilate "hindus" against foreign rule.

6. Shaiviks do not believe in a caste system. In fact, caste system is considered an anathema. Shaiviks do not have any rules or boundaries. "Everything goes" in Shaivism.  Shaivism emphasizes on Samkhya, which means the art of analysis. Be curious, explore and challenge the boundaries.

7. Dharmics and Shaivites have had several wars. In fact, most of the glorified wars in Ancient India, that were captured in religious texts, have been about Vaishnavism vs Shaivism.

For e.g.:

* The war between Vashishta and Vishwamitra. Vashishta was a Vedic Brahmin and Vishwamitra converted from Vedic Brahmin to Shaivism. Vishwamitra led the Battle of Ten Kings against Indra. He was defeated. This story is captured in Rig Veda in Mandala 7, which is considered to be the oldest section of the Rig Veda.

* The war between Rama and Ravan. Rama was Vishnu's avatar and Ravana was a powerful king and a Shiva-bhakt.

* The war between Bhisma and Parashuram. Parashuram was a Shiva Bhakt. Bhisma was a Dharmic. This is captured in the Mahabharat.

* Parashuram vs Kartavirya Arjun. Kartavirya Arjun was a strong Vaishnavite, who was a disciple of Dattatreya, son of Maharishi Atri.

* King Ambareesha vs Durvasa. Durvasa was considered the embodiment of Shiva. King Ambareesha was a Vaishnavite.

* Krishna insulted Durvasa during the "Akshayapatra" episode.

* Rama broke the "Shiva-Dhanush" during Sita's swayamvara.

* In the Samudra Manthan, Vishnu get's to drink the nectar, while Shiva drinks the poison.

8. Dharmics have demonized Rakshasas. Rakh-shaksas are basically those people who cover their faces with ash. This is a common practice amongst Shiva worshippers.

9. During Vedic times, Asuras may have been people who followed the Ahura Mazda, while Devas were those who followed 'Bhagavan', which was the divine decree as propounded by the Rishis who wrote the Dharmic texts. Later, Asuras and Rakh-shakas were used interchangeably to lump everyone who opposed the Devas.

10. The Samudra Manthan was a symbolic story that captures the transition from a Vedic ideology to a Dharmic ideology and the mass migration from the Sindhu river to Ganga.

If you are fascinated by Indian mythology, I'm sure you will like my book.  I've narrated the events as a story and mixed it up with some drama.

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Mysteries of Ancient India Empty Re: Mysteries of Ancient India

Post by Hellsangel Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:40 pm

You are the next Amish Tripathi?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Hellsangel wrote:You are the next Amish Tripathi?
or perhaps Mr. K. in "My first encounter with historical fiction"
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down