Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murdoch Mysteries

5 posters

Go down

Murdoch Mysteries  Empty Murdoch Mysteries

Post by Impedimenta Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:35 am

...my new obsession while daughter is watching The Bletchley Circle, non-stop :-) I also watched the movie Proof a few days back. Finally, got around to it. I really would have enjoyed the stage adaptation. it would have engaged me more than the screenplay. Not that it was bad or anything but simply that the plot revolved around four central characters and their idiosyncrasies and everything else that the movie offered seemed to be a distraction. But definitely a brilliant plot, subtle and leaves one guessing till the end. In fact, i am still not sure if there was insanity involved, when it came to Catherine's mind. Brilliant acting by Sir Anthony Hopkins, Gwenyth Paltrow, Jake gylenhall and Hope Davis.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Murdoch Mysteries  Empty Re: Murdoch Mysteries

Post by swapna Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:10 am

Impedimenta wrote:...my new obsession while daughter is watching The Bletchley Circle, non-stop :-) I also watched the movie Proof a few days back. Finally, got around to it. I really would have enjoyed the stage adaptation. it would have engaged me more than the screenplay. Not that it was bad or anything but simply that the plot revolved around four central characters and their idiosyncrasies and everything else that the movie offered seemed to be a distraction. But definitely a brilliant plot, subtle and leaves one guessing till the end. In fact, i am still not sure if there was insanity involved, when it came to Catherine's mind. Brilliant acting by Sir Anthony Hopkins, Gwenyth Paltrow, Jake gylenhall and Hope Davis.

will you write a review of the murdoch murders?

my daughter watched the stage version of proof at a theater near northwestern university, the setting of some of the story, and said it was excellent.

yes, the acting in the movie was uniformly brilliant, including the role of the controlling older sister.

I watched "the theory of everything" recently.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:15 pm

i watched a couple of episodes of murdoch mysteries and didn't have the patience to continue. recently watched the first season of the bridge (the swedish/danish original version, not the american remake which i'm guessing is weaker). i recommend it. quirky female lead. don't want to give away much but imagine sheldon cooper turned into a serious character, and made into a blonde nordic female detective. that's roughly saga noren.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:01 pm

don't listen to max. he sometimes does not know what he is talking about :-) Will write about the Murdoch mysteries.

anyway, I am looking for an online stream of the movie, Doubt.

I will try bridge.

What did you think about the theory of everything?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:18 pm

Impedimenta wrote:don't listen to max. he sometimes does not know what he is talking about :-) Will write about the Murdoch mysteries.

I will try bridge.

not surprisingly, the theory of everything did not have, for me, the mystery, tension, and intrigue that the fictional proof did.

here's what dee wrote to me about proof, the play:

"I have never seen the movie, Proof, but I saw it as a play in the Court Theatre in Chicago (we get very good student ticket deals to the Court Theatre, since it's right in Hyde Park, next to the University of Chicago).  It was absolutely amazing.  I had not realized at the time that it was also a movie.  The writing, the characters, all of it - wonderful.I haven't seen Theory of Everything, but I was thinking about seeing it sometime soon."

she should be writing "watched" and "watching," not "seen" and "seeing." where have I gone wrong?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i watched a couple of episodes of murdoch mysteries and didn't have the patience to continue. recently watched the first season of the bridge (the swedish/danish original version, not the american remake which i'm guessing is weaker). i recommend it. quirky female lead. don't want to give away much but imagine sheldon cooper turned into a serious character, and made into a blonde nordic female detective. that's roughly saga noren.

saga has a boyfriend in season 2 - it is hilarious!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:29 pm

swapna wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:don't listen to max. he sometimes does not know what he is talking about :-) Will write about the Murdoch mysteries.

I will try bridge.

not surprisingly, the theory of everything did not have, for me, the mystery, tension, and intrigue that the fictional proof did.

"I have never seen the movie, Proof, but I saw it as a play in the Court Theatre in Chicago (we get very good student ticket deals to the Court Theatre, since it's right in Hyde Park, next to the University of Chicago).  It was absolutely amazing.  I had not realized at the time that it was also a movie.  The writing, the characters, all of it - wonderful.I haven't seen Theory of Everything, but I was thinking about seeing it sometime soon."

she should be writing "watched" and "watching," not "seen" and "seeing." where have I gone wrong?

yaanaikkum aDi sarakkum.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:45 am

bw wrote:
swapna wrote:

I will try bridge.

yaanaikkum aDi saraukkum.[fixed]

you're right, I should think Smile; if so, what happens to the yAnai?
watch from 4:00 to 4:20

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down