Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

iris murdoch and jiddu krishnamurti

+3
Jeremiah Mburuburu
MulaiAzhagi
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

iris murdoch and jiddu krishnamurti Empty iris murdoch and jiddu krishnamurti

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:15 pm

i like iris murdoch's writing. long ago i read her first book under the net and am now reading her most acclaimed work, the sea the sea. since she died not that long ago, i tried looking for youtube videos of interviews and such and found several. she seems like a very intelligent person. but in the process i also chanced upon this video: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNxV4Dmyn8Y&feature=related).

she sounds quite intelligent but the fellow she is conversing with sounds like a slightly more sober version of toothseeker if you know what i mean. i've heard folks rave about this man but i really have idea what he is saying or trying to get at.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

iris murdoch and jiddu krishnamurti Empty Re: iris murdoch and jiddu krishnamurti

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:26 pm

is it possible that this guy was the forerunner of the greatest philosopher of our times and master gobbledygook peddler deepak chopra?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

iris murdoch and jiddu krishnamurti Empty Re: iris murdoch and jiddu krishnamurti

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:22 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:is it possible that this guy was the forerunner of the greatest philosopher of our times and master gobbledygook peddler deepak chopra?

omigawd!

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:22 am

http://www.prem-rawat-bio.org/gurus/r_sloss.htm

Read this and if you can the book. You will realize what a hypocrite and a fraud Jiddu Krishnamurthi was.

He enjoyed wielding power over his followers and was also very vindictive towards his assistant Rajagopal, waged a long legal battle over money matters.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:30 am

http://www.strippingthegurus.com/stgsamplechapters/krishnamurti.asp

===> More about the hypocrisy of JK.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:23 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:http://www.prem-rawat-bio.org/gurus/r_sloss.htm

Read this and if you can the book. You will realize what a hypocrite and a fraud Jiddu Krishnamurthi was.

He enjoyed wielding power over his followers and was also very vindictive towards his assistant Rajagopal, waged a long legal battle over money matters.

He had an affair with rakgopal's wife for yrs and had her done abortoons a few times

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:52 am

the hypocrisy of godmen and spirituality peddlers and their sexual peccadilloes is not interesting to me. they suffer from the same human foibles we all do; but a subset of them seem to have an amazing capacity to spout utter nonsense and make it sound like they're saying something profound. i think that takes a special skill. deepak chopra has it by the bucketfuls and i think this jiddu fellow was a master bullshitter as well.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:02 am

his redeeming feature: good taste in clothes.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:40 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the hypocrisy of godmen and spirituality peddlers and their sexual peccadilloes is not interesting to me. they suffer from the same human foibles we all do; but a subset of them seem to have an amazing capacity to spout utter nonsense and make it sound like they're saying something profound. i think that takes a special skill. deepak chopra has it by the bucketfuls and i think this jiddu fellow was a master bullshitter as well.

everyone you see on TV is a bullshitter. these guys are providing similar service as letterman/leno/whoever has the soapbox of the moment...entertainment. what they are guilty of is false advertisement but that's more on the follower dickheads. PS: if some such guy catches his fancy, mulai will be the first one to jump on the bandwagon..he's overly prone to abject hero worship.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:21 pm

these theosophical effers have one the most sought after real estate in chennai... I don't know what they do in that area. We should demolish those gardens and build cookie-cutter high rises or parking lots I say..
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Where's my first post on this thread? Looks like it didn't get posted. My iphone messed it up. Ok... I didn't watch the video. Anyway, JK isn't anything like TS. Kishnamurti is against ALL religions, all religious scriptures, religious dogmas, rituals, all godmen, spritual leaders promoting 'techniques' to nirvana like transcendental meditation (of beatles fame), etc. If he were alive today, he'd have come down heavily on sri sri ravishankar too and his breathing techniques. But he was very arrogant in believing that only he was right. He seemed to feel that the world was full of morons who are not able to get his point.
He was for total freedom, which is fine for a priviledged person like him. Not practical for regular ppl. He didn't believe in the institution of marriage either or anything that binds you.

The schools started by him or running on his philosophy, the Rishi Valley school and Krisnamurti foundation schools (one in chennai) are really good.

There's a similarity between what he said and what Ramana Maharshi said. Ramana is an ultimate saint!

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:19 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:his redeeming feature: good taste in clothes.

The following from WIKI:

His public image, cultivated by the Theosophists, "was to be characterized by a well-polished exterior, a sobriety of purpose, a cosmopolitan outlook and an otherworldly, almost beatific detachment in his demeanor."[32] Demonstrably, "all of these can be said to have characterized Krishnamurti's public image to the end of his life."[32] It was apparently clear early on that he "possessed an innate personal magnetism, not of a warm physical variety, but nonetheless emotive in its austerity, and inclined to inspire veneration.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:01 am

pravalika nanda wrote:

The following from WIKI:

His public image, cultivated by the Theosophists, "was to be characterized by a well-polished exterior, a sobriety of purpose, a cosmopolitan outlook and an otherworldly, almost beatific detachment in his demeanor."[32] Demonstrably, "all of these can be said to have characterized Krishnamurti's public image to the end of his life."[32] It was apparently clear early on that he "possessed an innate personal magnetism, not of a warm physical variety, but nonetheless emotive in its austerity, and inclined to inspire veneration.
one look at him or a photograph of him, and one would characterize him as sartorially elegant. his clothes, whether western or indian, were invariably well cut. add to that his mystical good looks and the theosophical society's and leadbeater's conviction that he was a messiah, and one has a man the average truth seeker can worship. here's what someone else writes about jiddu k:

Watts says that Krishnamurti was one of the most elegant men in the world. He wore clothes from Saville Row and used to zoom about the country in Alfa-Romeo and Mercedes-Benz sports cars. By courtesy of wealthy aristocrats he was supported palatially in Ojai, California; in Gstaad, Switzerland; or in London. He didn't drink alcohol, eat meat, or have any genital sex life because, according to him, he was polymorphously erotic and got the ecstasy through every nerve-end on his skin.

-- http://donaldsimons.blogspot.com/2010/04/j-krishnamurti.html

fortunately, and as far as i know, jiddu k was largely a harmless mystic who was put in a difficult position by largely harmless, truth-seeking westerners.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:23 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

The following from WIKI:

one look at him or a photograph of him, and one would characterize him as sartorially elegant. his clothes, whether western or indian, were invariably well cut. add to that his mystical good looks and the theosophical society's and leadbeater's conviction that he was a messiah, and one has a man the average truth seeker can worship. here's what someone else writes about jiddu k:

Watts says that Krishnamurti was one of the most elegant men in the world. He wore clothes from Saville Row and used to zoom about the country in Alfa-Romeo and Mercedes-Benz sports cars. By courtesy of wealthy aristocrats he was supported palatially in Ojai, California; in Gstaad, Switzerland; or in London. He didn't drink alcohol, eat meat, or have any genital sex life because, according to him, he was polymorphously erotic and got the ecstasy through every nerve-end on his skin.

-- http://donaldsimons.blogspot.com/2010/04/j-krishnamurti.html

fortunately, and as far as i know, jiddu k was largely a harmless mystic who was put in a difficult position by largely harmless, truth-seeking westerners.

>>>>I tried reading some of his books/discussions which were in q & a form and found they were devoid of practicality. He supposedly was in love in his twenties, but his handlers probably nixed the deal, since that didn't fit their vision of where they saw him heading. A MA points out in his posts, the celibacy thing was a public face, but not the reality in his private life. I kind of feel bad for this man. He was torn away from a not too comfortable childhood only to become part of some weird utopian fantasy. He really was a victim of this conditioning and played the part in some from or another all his life. Even his breaking away from the theosophists didn't free him from the "philosopher" role. He (or more likely, his promoters) did have good taste in geography though. Ojai is idyllic and yet not that far away from a big city environment. Must have been a bucolic paradise in the 1930's thru the 60's.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:59 pm

A rare video of the young Jiddu Krishnamurti in New York (1928) and Ojai
(1930), reading what he had said at the Ommen Camp on August 3, 1929
(dissolution of the Order of the Star).

In the first one (1928), he was shy, clumsy and not sure of himself. The second one (1930) (from 1:18 in the video) was taken after he broke away from the theosophical society. It's a good speech 'Truth is a pathless land' and seems more sure of himself.

I can see why he was selected as 'the chosen one' by the theosophists. He was so damn charismatic.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:these theosophical effers have one the most sought after real estate in chennai... I don't know what they do in that area. We should demolish those gardens and build cookie-cutter high rises or parking lots I say..

That belongs to the theosophical society, not JK. That must be worth some crores and crores of rupees now. The last time i checked, there was an old old famous banyan tree (along with many other species of plants and trees) and a bookstore (probably a library too).

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down