Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first encounter with historical fiction

Go down

My first encounter with historical fiction Empty My first encounter with historical fiction

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:04 am

It was around the year 1960 when I was in school in grade six or seven. I had a classmate then … let’s call him K.

During the half-yearly history examination (lasting three hours), K kept on asking the examiner for more and more blank pages to write. We, his other classmates in the room, were wondering about K writing so much (in total about 30 pages of answers) whereas we were able to complete our answers in only five or six pages.

A few weeks later our history teacher returned the answer papers after marking them.  In addition, he read K’s answer paper to the entire class. It was an eye opener, a real historical fiction . Here is a sample (1-3) from K’s answers, in the following.

(1)   Akbar:
Akbar was a great poet. He wrote many poems on different subjects. …………..
(This is a new info. for Rashmun’s about his favorite king …. Courtesy K) 

(2) Kabir:
Kabir was a great and powerful king. He ruled all over India. He had many wives and children. He is known for doing great things and defeating other kingdoms….

(3) Guru Nanak Dev
Nanak Dev was a great teacher. He started many schools and trained numerous students who went on to do excellent things. ……………………

Note: Unfortunately, it has been a long time and I have now forgotten most of K’s answers in his history exam., but I still remember a few gems by him, as in the above.  Incidentally, K got less than 20 marks (out of 100) for his 30 pages of answers (historical fiction).

Last edited by Seva Lamberdar on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down