Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To BW: the story

+4
Petrichor
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Seva Lamberdar
Rishi
8 posters

Go down

To BW: the story Empty To BW: the story

Post by Rishi Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 am

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->
>>> The story about the man who once taught Economics continues.

The fellow was so disciplined during his graduate school days, he used to drive the other desi students sharing the apartment crazy. He set rules like “everyone should be back in the apartment by 10 PM”. He also was very specific about how the place should be maintained. He drew a daily schedule for chores like bathroom cleaning, kitchen duties etc. He was regular in performing Sandhya vandanam. And he strongly believed in vedic astrology and matching horoscopes for matrimony.

After teaching for a while and getting his green card, he moved on to work as a consultant for a fortune 500 company. He worked from home using his personal computer.  He was charging like $150 per hour. That was way back!

He was not only very frugal but also  could apply the principle of Economics to every aspect of his daily life. He did not believe in buying a house or a new car or a new computer. He figured out that considering his needs, he was better off not owning a house. He lived in a two bedroom apartment. That was because his mother was staying with him for a few months in a year. And his brother along with his family would visit him.

He went home. Married this Ph.D girl.  She got a job and her salary was deposited into the joint account. As usual, the man laid down the rules. As to what she can spend on and how much as well. She had to justify her spending habits down to the dollar. Any deviation could set him off.

And what did he do with the money? Most of the money went to buying stocks especially the tech stocks. He was sitting on a pile of money. Mostly paper though. But it was  at least 2 million dollars.

Then the parents of the wife came to visit. He had no respect for them. Of course he took them to various places in the East coast. Then they went to the west coast to visit their son.

Then after a couple of years into the marriage, in-laws visited America again. And stay they did in the two bedroom apartment. The girl was happy to be around her parents. And they rented videos of Tamil movies. They watched one movie. Enjoyed it, laughing at the jokes of Bhagyaraj and making critical comments while they watched Mani Ratnam movies like Roja

Our man had enough. He was working from the living room and could not concentrate. Having grown up in the eastern part of India, he could not relate to any of the Tamil movies his wife and in-laws were watching. He absolutely had no interest. His contempt for his MIL and her husband whom he thought was a weakling controlled by the old woman only grew manifold.

He could not take it anymore.

He walked to to the VCR. Stopped that damn thing and shut off the TV. And announced that he had to work and they were not allowed to watch anymore TV without seeking his permission.

And then he went inside to his bedroom. He was very angry. He came back to the living room after 15 minutes.

There they were with suitcases in their hands. His wife, and his in-laws. They all had packed up. The wife started talking. She said “I am leaving. You insulted my father and mother.”

The Economist replied in a stern voice. “If you walk out now, you are not coming back.”

They simply left. Without a word.

A month later, the idiot was notified legally that his wife was filing for a divorce. She had sued him for every penny she had put into the joint account. And she got most of what she wanted.

His mother asked her on the phone why she was leaving her son. The girl replied “your son should have been born fifty years earlier than he did. He does not realize that times have changed.”

What happened to the Economist?

The stock market crashed and he lost almost 60% of the money he invested.

Six years later, he came across a well educated and classy NI woman. He proposed. She almost accepted. But he laid down some rules. The first one was that they will have separate bank accounts. They were not going to mix their assets. Whatever is in his name is his. And whatever she had was hers. And they will split the expenses equally for apartment rent . Other than that each one will use his or her money to buy stuff like dress, car etc. He has been burnt before and did not want to take chances.

The NI brahmin woman backed out. “Son of a bitch” is what she said about him.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

To BW: the story Empty Re: To BW: the story

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:24 am

A good one.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:26 am

Rishi wrote:<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->

The fellow was so disciplined during his graduate school days, he used to drive the other desi students sharing the apartment crazy. He set rules like “everyone should be back in the apartment by 10 PM”. He also was very specific about how the place should be maintained. He drew a daily schedule for chores like bathroom cleaning, kitchen duties etc. He was regular in performing Sandhya vandanam. And he strongly believed in vedic astrology and matching horoscopes for matrimony.

Six years later, he came across a well educated and classy NI woman. He proposed. She almost accepted. But he laid down some rules. The first one was that they will have separate bank accounts. They were not going to mix their assets. Whatever is in his name is his. And whatever she had was hers. And they will split the expenses equally for apartment rent . Other than that each one will use his or her money to buy stuff like dress, car etc. He has been burnt before and did not want to take chances.

But why BW?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

But why BW?
>> She requested I finish the story.

Anyway what do you think about the guy?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:46 am

The guy belongs to the category that learns only by going threw an experience.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:02 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:The guy belongs to the category that learns only by going threw an experience.
pattaath thaan theriyum...ngreengalaa?!!! Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Petrichor wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:The guy belongs to the category that learns only by going threw an experience.
>> I thought it was like pattathAn theriyum pAppAnukku

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks, Rishi for filling in the dots!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Rishi wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
Eadho therinjA sari...

aamaa....appO maththavanukku pattAlum theriyAdhA ? Razz 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:29 pm

garam_kuta wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
Eadho therinjA sari...

>>> maththa pasangadhAn indha proverb'e invent pannAnga.
Avanga probleme adidhadiyele solve panniduvAnga

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:32 pm

>>> Btw the Economist in that story is certainly not Raghuram Rajan.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:14 pm

Rishi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
Eadho therinjA sari...

>>> maththa pasangadhAn indha proverb'e invent pannAnga.
Avanga probleme adidhadiyele solve panniduvAnga
AFAIK rishi, the original goes like this:
pattA theriyum pAppAnukku; maththavanukku appadiyum puriyAdhu

and it goes well with you story, isn't it Smile 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:37 pm

English translation please.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:14 pm

truthbetold wrote:English translation please.
pattA theriyum pAppAnukku; maththavanukku appadiyum puriyAdhu

Translation of what I said : A brahmin would come to senses (learns his lesson or realizes his stupidity) only if he gets painfully hurt or lose in life by his stupid action.

GK said the Tamil proverb I mentioned was not complete. It has one more statement which is as follows: Others (i.e non-brahmins) would not realize their stupidity or come to senses even if they get painfully hurt or lose in life by their stupid actions. I was not aware of this. I have heard the first statement used by non-brahmins to criticize brahmins.

In my story, the palghat brahmin control freak realized how stupid he was only after his wife walked out on him.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Rishi wrote:
Petrichor wrote:
You can replace it with Paradeshikku, Pariyanukku,

Actually it is "pattathaan theriyum pikkalum pidungalum."

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:54 pm

thanks, rishi. 

i recall the first post having more details. didn't the wife hang out with another guy? is that another story? this eco guy seems a psycho. could you post them all in one thread?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:36 pm

Rishi wrote:>>> Btw the Economist in that story is certainly not Raghuram Rajan.
I bet Rajan controls the money of ALL Indians while his wife controls all of his money...Razz

That is how it usually turns out.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:44 pm

bw wrote:thanks, rishi. 

i recall the first post having more details. didn't the wife hang out with another guy? is that another story? this eco guy seems a psycho. could you post them all in one thread?
>>> The wife hanging out with another guy happened in a state university in the west coast. The woman was married to a professor of computer science. Both belonged to the Baduga community in Ooty. She was like 19 and he was 32 when they got married. She was from a rich family, went to an elite school in Ooty and then later to a well established women's college in Madras. I am done with that story.

Regarding the story I posted now. There was not much in the first part I posted long time ago. I will search and post the link.

The Economist guy does not do any Economics now. He is 50. And you would not believed it if you had seen him. He hardly looks 35. He is highly self disciplined. A master of yoga, eats only once a day. All he eats is a small cup of rice along with plenty of vegetables.  He has good looks and high intellect. But what is the use? especially when you are stuck with high ego and would not reflect on what you are doing to others.

The other woman who backed out of the marriage deal is married to a priest now. She has a Ph.D. But she liked the priest who has an M.A in Sanskrit.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 pm

Rishi wrote:

But why BW?
>> She requested I finish the story.

Anyway what do you think about the guy?
>>> I am a bit disappointed, honestly. I thought this was the story of  Manjay, he of the questions to random women on the subway on their hair/wigs or was it bra size? There was something endearing about the way he explained away his brazen curiosity citing "cultural differences" Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Rishi wrote:
The other woman who backed out of the marriage deal is married to a priest now. She has a Ph.D. But she liked the priest who has an M.A in Sanskrit.
WTF...... A Desi PhD marrying a priest and that too with just an MA ?

What is this world coming to?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Rishi wrote:

>>> I have run into one that that required a groom with IIT degree + a big name school PhD from the US + employment in one of a select number of companies and- hold your breath- a residence in one of certain zip codes in CA. Surprisingly, never  met Mr. Right.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:41 am

[quote="Rishi"]
Regarding the story I posted now. There was not much in the first part I posted long time ago. I will search and post the link.

The Economist guy does not do any Economics now. He is 50. And you would not believed it if you had seen him. He hardly looks 35. He is highly self disciplined. A master of yoga, eats only once a day. All he eats is a small cup of rice along with plenty of vegetables.  He has good looks and high intellect. But what is the use? especially when you are stuck with high ego and would not reflect on what you are doing to others.
are you suggesting that although he is contended, he should make himself more available which would mitigate his ego eventually yielding spiritual progress ?

** hope you are not referring to legacy issues like: at 4:40 ( the 2nd of the top comments in english by sheenyshane)

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:01 am

Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:

>>> I have run into one that that required a groom with IIT degree + a big name school PhD from the US + employment in one of a select number of companies and- hold your breath- a residence in one of certain zip codes in CA. Surprisingly, never  met Mr. Right.
naa.. what you are looking for is Mainstreet Wink with the zip 10021

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:12 am

garam_kuta wrote:
Rishi wrote:

are you suggesting that although he is contended, he should make himself more available which would mitigate his ego eventually yielding spiritual progress ?

** hope you are not referring to legacy issues like: at 4:40 ( the 2nd of the top comments in english by sheenyshane)

>>>GK,

That was apt. Although is 4:38

Actually he makes himself  available to many women. He conducts classes in stuff like yoga and meditation. And he can communicate very well. Something wrong up there in the attic.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:36 am

Rishi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:
Rishi wrote:

>>>GK,

That was apt. Although is 4:38

Actually he makes himself  available to many women. He conducts classes in stuff like yoga and meditation. And he can communicate very well. Something wrong up there in the attic.
to me, particularly since the day I arrived, those lines at 3:37-3:47 tops it all - incisive and instructive

"poiyAna sila paerkku pudhu nAgarEgam
puriyAdha palapaErkku adhu nAgareegam.."

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down