Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

stray dogs in India

+4
charvaka
sambarvada
truthbetold
Merlot Daruwala
8 posters

Go down

stray dogs in India Empty stray dogs in India

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:37 am

it is strange that successive governments are unable to tackle the problem of stray dogs in India:

http://www.dnaindia.com/bangalore/report_another-day-another-dog-another-toddler-attacked-in-bangalore_1561809

Back to top Go down

stray dogs in India Empty Re: stray dogs in India

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:55 am

What steps would you recommend that the government take in this matter?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:What steps would you recommend that the government take in this matter?

discuss the issue and take advice from other nations who do not have stray dogs roaming around in public places and barking all night long.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:10 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:What steps would you recommend that the government take in this matter?

how about a lathi-charge, preferably at midnight?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:14 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

how about handing over the stray dogs to Ramdev.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:19 am

Rashmun wrote:take advice from other nations who do not have stray dogs roaming around in public places and barking all night long.

If they don't have a stray dog problem in the first place, how would they advise us on a solution?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:22 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Rashmun wrote:take advice from other nations who do not have stray dogs roaming around in public places and barking all night long.

If they don't have a stray dog problem in the first place, how would they advise us on a solution?

the reason they do not have a stray dog problem is because they have mechanisms in place to deal with the problem. for instance, they have animal shelters where stray animals are kept and medically treated to ensure they are disease free and then put up for adoption by animal lovers.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:37 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Interesting proxy fight.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by sambarvada Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:11 am

Rashmun wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

the reason they do not have a stray dog problem is because they have mechanisms in place to deal with the problem. for instance, they have animal shelters where stray animals are kept and medically treated to ensure they are disease free and then put up for adoption by animal lovers.

====> 90% of the dogs and cats in the anima shelters are killed after a few days. In the United States at least a 10 million dogs and cats are killed every year in the animal shelters.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:07 am

sambarvada wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

====> 90% of the dogs and cats in the anima shelters are killed after a few days. In the United States at least a 10 million dogs and cats are killed every year in the animal shelters.

--> i did not know this. i thought they were neutered before being put up for adoptioin.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:06 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Sir, I'm outraged - no, that's too mild..every fibre in my body is tingling in moral indignation at how flippantly you responded to the original poster's implied desire to see a broadbased, egregious violation of animal rights just because one stray dog mauled one child somewhere.

Knowing that there are only two ways of controlling the stray population - neuter them so they don't propagate (which doesn't solve the problem of existing strays) or brutally kill them (by bullet or with poison), it's absolutely shocking that you respond with gloating humor to the original poster's utterly cynical call to the government to commit genocide to solve the stray dog "problem".

You guys make me sick and lose all my faith in humanity. How can you so cruelly advocate mass murder on a species everyone knows is man's best friend and reward the unquestioning trust and incredible affection of the overwhelming majority of those poor, orphaned doggies with brutal death, just because one dog out of a million attacked a child abandoned by its parents?? Considering this is no different from how the Empress' hordes attacked all Sikhs just because two of her m-i-l's killers were sikhs, I can't help conclude you must be a CONgoon.

Lastly, let me end my outraged rant with an entirely unpretentious quote from some guy called Cardinal Roger Mahony (google him if you want more biographic details): "Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."

Yours indignantly,
MD
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:54 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

I am prepared and ready to applaud such an action and defend its correctness, particularly if occurs at midnight. Did you know that the government did nothing to prevent the Babri Masjid demolition? We don't want it to do nothing in this matter. Communal harmony must be protected. Jai Hind!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:30 pm

charvaka wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

I am prepared and ready to applaud such an action and defend its correctness, particularly if occurs at midnight. Did you know that the government did nothing to prevent the Babri Masjid demolition? We don't want it to do nothing in this matter. Communal harmony must be protected. Jai Hind!

is this sandilya?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

is this sandilya?
Who does Chidambaram say it is? How about Digvijay Singh? Between the two of them, you should get a reliable, fool-proof answer.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:53 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

is this sandilya?
Who does Chidambaram say it is? How about Digvijay Singh? Between the two of them, you should get a reliable, fool-proof answer.

chidambaram and digvijay are least bothered about you. hence i am afraid i would not be able to get feedback on you from them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:58 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Sir, I'm outraged - no, that's too mild..every fibre in my body is tingling in moral indignation at how flippantly you responded to the original poster's implied desire to see a broadbased, egregious violation of animal rights just because one stray dog mauled one child somewhere.

Knowing that there are only two ways of controlling the stray population - neuter them so they don't propagate (which doesn't solve the problem of existing strays) or brutally kill them (by bullet or with poison), it's absolutely shocking that you respond with gloating humor to the original poster's utterly cynical call to the government to commit genocide to solve the stray dog "problem".

You guys make me sick and lose all my faith in humanity. How can you so cruelly advocate mass murder on a species everyone knows is man's best friend and reward the unquestioning trust and incredible affection of the overwhelming majority of those poor, orphaned doggies with brutal death, just because one dog out of a million attacked a child abandoned by its parents?? Considering this is no different from how the Empress' hordes attacked all Sikhs just because two of her m-i-l's killers were sikhs, I can't help conclude you must be a CONgoon.

Lastly, let me end my outraged rant with an entirely unpretentious quote from some guy called Cardinal Roger Mahony (google him if you want more biographic details): "Any society, any nation, is judged on the basis of how it treats its weakest members -- the last, the least, the littlest."

Yours indignantly,
MD

*faint*

SP will respond in due course.

Back to top Go down

Post by sambarvada Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:28 pm

[quote="Rashmun]

--> i did not know this. i thought they were neutered before being put up for adoptioin. [/quote]

===> The ones which are adopted are neutered or spayed by the animal shelter before adoption.

However, not all dogs and cats which end up in animal shelter are adopted. Some are too old. There are others with disabilities. Many people want smaller and less feared breeds. Large dogs like Akita and 'dangerous' breeds like pit bulls etc end up getting euthanized.

Having a pet at home is a huge responsibility.

BTW I might have been little high in my numbers. It seems 8 million not 10 million animals are euythanized in the animal shelters in the United States every year.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90975&page=1

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:06 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

is this sandilya?

chidambaram and digvijay are least bothered about you. hence i am afraid i would not be able to get feedback on you from them.

the above should have been:

chidambaram and digvijay are least bothered about the likes of you and me. hence i am afraid i would not be able to get feedback on you from them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:10 pm

sambarvada wrote:[quote="Rashmun]

--> i did not know this. i thought they were neutered before being put up for adoptioin.

===> The ones which are adopted are neutered or spayed by the animal shelter before adoption.

However, not all dogs and cats which end up in animal shelter are adopted. Some are too old. There are others with disabilities. Many people want smaller and less feared breeds. Large dogs like Akita and 'dangerous' breeds like pit bulls etc end up getting euthanized.

BTW I might have been little high in my numbers. It seems 8 million not 10 million animals are euythanized in the animal shelters in the United States every year.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90975&page=1[/quote]

--> given a choice of 8 million dogs being euthanised in U.S. every year and dogs roaming around the streets in India, which is your preference?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Rashmun wrote:
sambarvada wrote:[quote="Rashmun]

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=90975&page=1

-------

--> given a choice of 8 million dogs being euthanised in U.S. every year and dogs roaming around the streets in India, which is your preference?

Back to top Go down

Post by sambarvada Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:32 pm

===> I would let the stray dogs roam around in India.

They survive because either some good people feed them or the dogs live eating the garbage or human excrement.

Whereas there is no chance in hell a dog can survive in the streets of America.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:07 am

Rashmun wrote:discuss the issue and take advice from other nations who do not have stray dogs roaming around in public places and barking all night long.

do you think weather has got anything to do with the stray animals in india? it is not possible for stray animals (or beggars for that matter) to survive the harsh weather in cold countries. i am sure there aren't many stray dogs in the north-eastern india either because dog meat is a delicacy there. but everywhere else in india, dogs (and dogvijays) will survive and thrive. if maneka gandhi fasts unto her death and it becomes impossible to kill these dogs, then they should be fed an equivalent of mala-D in their food. i see no other solution.

stray dogs are a real menace.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by sambarvada Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:56 am

Another Brick wrote:
Rashmun wrote:discuss the issue and take advice from other nations who do not have stray dogs roaming around in public places and barking all night long.

if maneka gandhi fasts unto her death and it becomes impossible to kill these dogs, then they should be fed an equivalent of mala-D in their food. i see no other solution.

====> The way they kill the stray dogs in India is really cruel and inhumane. They strangle them to death.

When I was a kid, I had pets which were strays.

They can catch stray dogs, spay the females and neuter the male dogs and let them back on the streets. But if it is too expensive, euthanization is a better alternative than feeding them poison which will lead to miserable and painful death.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:59 am

Another Brick wrote:

do you think weather has got anything to do with the stray animals in india? it is not possible for stray animals (or beggars for that matter) to survive the harsh weather in cold countries. i am sure there aren't many stray dogs in the north-eastern india either because dog meat is a delicacy there. but everywhere else in india, dogs (and dogvijays) will survive and thrive. if maneka gandhi fasts unto her death and it becomes impossible to kill these dogs, then they should be fed an equivalent of mala-D in their food. i see no other solution.

how come indian dogs don't look nice? what breed are they?

pravalika

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:09 am

they are mix of rhodesian, dingoes and a bit of terrier (the terrier blood gives them resistance and the ears of the street dogs are terrier-ish). this is what a kennel owner once told me. take it as fultoo gyan.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:20 am

where i live they have a lot of weimaraners. really popular breed with white yuppies. i hate them. the rhodesian breed look nice and athletic.

pravalika

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:32 am

pravalika nanda, you nutjob, you have issues with labeling ppl as pretty and ugly but dont have the same problem with dogs?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:43 am

enthinnav ra, you're not making sense.

pravalika

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:49 am

i know what you should eat, baava garu: dog meat. invite merlot for dinner. solving problems for india: check. a healthy meal: check. social networking: something is better than nothing.

okay, laters, gotta enjoy the rest of my day.

pravalika

Back to top Go down

stray dogs in India Empty Stray dogs in America

Post by Guest Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:14 pm

sambarvada wrote:===> I would let the stray dogs roam around in India.

They survive because either some good people feed them or the dogs live eating the garbage or human excrement.

Whereas there is no chance in hell a dog can survive in the streets of America.
In America the owner of the dog will not "survive" Stray dogs not allowed. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:

They are sent away to live on a farm.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down