Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The need for straightening out the tails of stray dogs in India: some case studies

2 posters

Go down

The need for straightening out the tails of stray dogs in India: some case studies Empty The need for straightening out the tails of stray dogs in India: some case studies

Post by charvaka Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Case Study 1: I was working in Bangalore some years ago when this happened. A tamil colleague, born and brought up in a village near Pondicherry, liked stray dogs. He would go up to them on the street, offer them some food, and pet them. He had grown up in a village, around cattle and other domestic animals. So he liked the tails of animals to be straight. Now, in metropolitan Bangalore, it is difficult to find a cow or a goat to pull its straight tail. He knew that I had a dog as a pet growing up, so he would ask me to accompany him and talk to him about the straight tails of animals, even as he petted street dogs and tried to straighten their tails out. It never worked. My tamil colleague also grumbled that it is only in Bangalore that such a strange thing can happen--one not being able to play with an animal's straight tail because all the street dogs have bent tails.

Case Study 2: I would often use autorickshaws (autos) for moving around when i was in Bangalore. When in an auto, i would often inititate conversations with the auto drivers, ask them where they were from, how they think dogs' tails should be, who they would bet on if Akbar and Diggy had a wrestling match, and other questions involving local politics and so on. I found something interesting during these conversations. ALL the autowalahs i spoke to preferred straight tails on dogs. The majority of them had grown up with pet dogs that had bent tails.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

The need for straightening out the tails of stray dogs in India: some case studies Empty Re: The need for straightening out the tails of stray dogs in India: some case studies

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Don't you have any fear of rabies?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down