Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Annual Wardrobe Addition Cost?

+4
bw
nevada
Hellsangel
gone
8 posters

Go down

Annual Wardrobe Addition Cost? Empty Annual Wardrobe Addition Cost?

Post by gone Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:29 pm

Did my spreadsheets for last year to find out how much I spent on clothes last year. A measly $2400 and that includes shoes and handbags.

The most expensive item on the list was the only handbag I bought last year, which was $350 and I know some women who spend more than $2400 on a handbag.

The most expensive dress was a wrap for $195. I bought a few cute tops and pants on sale at Nordstrom, LOFT, and J. Crew. Last year, I stayed away from cheap, flimsy quality places like H&M and Forever 21 where the clothes don't last long or look refined enough.

Anyone want to share anything about their wardrobe?

gone

Back to top Go down

Annual Wardrobe Addition Cost? Empty Re: Annual Wardrobe Addition Cost?

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:31 pm

No malfunctions in your wardrobe spreadsheet?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Jewelry expense for 2013: none. I told my husband not to buy me any jewelry in 2013. Plan on keeping it that way this year as well.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:07 pm

Don't think about wardrobe addition - think wardrobe completion. Buy high quality stuff to cover dress code for all situations, maintain weight at constant level to enjoy your lifetime wardrobe.  Prince Charles wears clothes that are 30+ years old. His shoes are resoled and 30+ years old too.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:08 pm

Just counted Macy's expenses (guessing just for me but could include gifts): 520 for last year, and that includes small jewelry as well.

I think the only other place I shopped for myself was Old Navy and Target (will add up target later). But I don't think more than 250.

Did I buy shoes, I guess two pairs of one-season-use sneakers totalling maybe 80. Other good sneakers I think 150, and pair or sandals 130.

Not so bad. Am proud of myself. Mom will criticize even this, considering how tight money was for me last year, but wth.

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:21 pm

I actually have a very small wardrobe. Less than 70 pieces of clothing total but they're all classics and worth the initial high cost because they could last a decade and still be considered fashionable. Mostly work suits, dressy pants, silk blouses, very cute dressy sweaters, coats, and dresses. They need to be worn very carefully (I have to stay away from messy food and smelly/spicy restaurants while wearing them) and have to be dry-cleaned but they last forever.

Now and then, I do accessorize the classics with some flimsy, cheap stuff from Zara or even Target that's the fashion du jour knowing I'll wear it for a few months and then give it away.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:24 pm

I haven't been to Old Navy in over a decade. I do own some Gap clothes, including a light rain jacket that are over ten years old and still going strong. Now that I think of it, I haven't been in a Gap in almost a decade. Maybe more.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:27 pm

In addition to the 70 classics, I also have a lot of junk clothes...sweatpants, sweatshirts, stuff from REI, but I'm talking about the fashionable stuff here.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:29 pm

At my age, my mom does not have the permission to tell me anything. I know women who spend a lot more on clothing than I do. So, I would tell my mom that if she ever made a stink about my wardrobe (but she doesn't).

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Have got surprisingly decent sweaters from Old Navy at times. I don't think I own anything classy or dressy except maybe some saris. I hate wearing something too often season after season. So I buy something mostly from clearance towards the end of one season, then wear it the next year and throw it by third. That's my usual cycle. Target is reasonable enough for workout clothes.

All moms got the rights reserved to comment and fuss, not that it changes anything. But nice to have that voice of reason in the back of your mind always.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Oh fashionable clothes. Completely wrong thread for me, oops.

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Seriously, my mom probably has a much, MUCH more expensive wardrobe than I will ever have. She is a fashionista, clothes horse, jewelry hoarder, and perfectly groomed (hair, nails, makeup, accessories) at 70. She still has that enthusiasm for fashion and jewelry and shopping at her age. She'll probably never lose it.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:14 pm

mainstreet wrote:Did my spreadsheets for last year to find out how much I spent on clothes last year.  A measly $2400 and that includes shoes and handbags.  

The most expensive item on the list was the only handbag I bought last year, which was $350 and I know some women who spend more than $2400 on a handbag.

The most expensive dress was a wrap for $195.  I bought a few cute tops and pants on sale at Nordstrom, LOFT, and J. Crew.  Last year, I stayed away from cheap, flimsy quality places like H&M and Forever 21 where the clothes don't last long or look refined enough.

mainstreet, what are your thoughts on men wearing skinny jeans?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:39 pm

WTF!! I spent $200 in clothes last year. Most expensive thing was 17 bucks. Yes, I am super cheap!

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:47 pm

mainstreet wrote:Did my spreadsheets for last year to find out how much I spent on clothes last year.  A measly $2400 and that includes shoes and handbags.  

The most expensive dress was a wrap for $195.  I bought a few cute tops and pants on sale at Nordstrom, LOFT, and J. Crew.  Last year, I stayed away from cheap, flimsy quality places like H&M and Forever 21 where the clothes don't last long or look refined enough.

>>> I could use a few suits and dress shirts. Ever since this business casual thing, I have been lax about these things. First I need to shed a few lbs. Been too lazy.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:11 pm

Kris wrote:

>>> I could use a few suits and dress shirts. Ever since this business casual thing, I have been lax about these things. First I need to shed a few lbs. Been too lazy.

skinny jeans? yes? no?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Oh fashionable clothes. Completely wrong thread for me, oops.

Haha, I thought the same.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:16 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

skinny jeans? yes? no?
>>>Surely you jest!

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:46 am

It depends! Some emo guys in their teens and early twenties with that hipster look and hip glass framed can rock skinny jeans. It's not the most masculine thing to wear though.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:47 am

Hip glass frames.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:25 am

mainstreet wrote:I know some women who spend more than $2400 on a handbag.

What's there in those handbags that cost more than $2400? What's so special about them?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am

mainstreet wrote:Seriously, my mom probably has a much, MUCH more expensive wardrobe than I will ever have.  She is a fashionista, clothes horse, jewelry hoarder, and perfectly groomed (hair, nails, makeup, accessories) at 70.  She still has that enthusiasm for fashion and jewelry and shopping at her age.  She'll probably never lose it.

sounds like a toned down combo of my mom and sis. ya, they constantly comment on my casual/cheap styles, specially wearing fake fancy jewelry all the time. Mom wants to give me her solitaires with a condition that I will wear them ALL THE TIME. I am like, ya ok I will not take them out daily like I do now, but no way in hell will I stop my other variety. Maybe with age I will change, but don't see it happening anytime soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 am

From Lalitha-sahasranaamam.
తాటంకయుగళీభూతతపనోడుప మణ్డలా.
कदंब मंजर,0लुq कण5पूर मनॊहरा
ताटंक युगल,भूत तपनॊडुप मंडला
Thaatanka yugalee bhootha thapanOdupa maNdalaa -- She who wears the sun and the moon as her ear studs

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:23 pm

I'm sure there are people who have the money to blow on a $2400 Prada bag! I am not one of them. My husband would definitely not be happy about it and I don't think I could get myself to spend so much on a bag ever.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Instead of that preppy look, I like Anthopologie, which is the anti-Gap. Bohemian, whimsical, straight out of an old French movie! I love their clothes to wear when I'm not at work.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:26 pm

Sorry. Anthropologie.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down