Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's happening again in ATL!

3 posters

Go down

It's happening again in ATL! Empty It's happening again in ATL!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 am

The winter storm. There seem to be better preparations this time. Not many are venturing out on the roads. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for any power outages.

Back to top Go down

It's happening again in ATL! Empty Re: It's happening again in ATL!

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:16 am

tc

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:19 am

Snow related disruptions happen in north also. But they have means to recover after nature's fury subsides.
good luck to your family. i am receiving calls from India about snow related concerns.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:48 am

Kinnera wrote:The winter storm. There seem to be better preparations this time. Not many are venturing out on the roads. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for any power outages.

For long power outages - 
1. You should have a battery operated sump pump as a backup for the main pump. If it's too late to get one and installed, buy an inverter (12 V DC to 120 V AC, about 2000 Watt capacity), connect a 12 volt deep-cycle marine battery (available at Sears) to the inverter on one side, and plug in your sump pump on the other side. You may even buy two batteries and connect them in parallel (+ve to +ve & -ve to -ve).
2. If you have no gas cooking, you must have a gas grill and a full propane tank.
3. You should have your cell phones fully charged, and turned off (use them only when you need to make a call).
4. You should have your comforters, linen etc fully washed to last for at least a week of clean linen.
5. Buy a couple of those battery operated lanterns (that look like petromax lights in India).
6. Most of these can be replaced by a simple 3000 - 4000 Watt gas-fired backup generator. But you must have installed by someone who knows what he is doing. Correct grounding is extremely important.
Place it as far away from the house as possible (you don't want Carbon Monoxide getting into the house). Best is to connect the generator to your house system by a transfer switch ($300). But you can do it on the cheap by using long high capacity extension cords available at hardware stores.
7. Leave at least one cold water and one hot water faucet to continuously drip. That will prevent freezing of pipes.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks TW, TBT and Indo

Here's our plight:

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:31 am

It's a hilarious video. Thanks for sharing. I forwarded it to a couple of my friends myself.

It's forecast that we too are in for a 6" to 12" of snow around Washington. Fortunately, the temps are expected to go slightly above freezing this coming weekend. We are hopeful.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:37 am

That is the most abused video now for parodies. It started with gangnam style.

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:51 am

indophile wrote:It's a hilarious video. Thanks for sharing. I forwarded it to a couple of my friends myself.

It's forecast that we too are in for a 6" to 12" of snow around Washington. Fortunately, the temps are expected to go slightly above freezing this coming weekend. We are hopeful.

i shared it too lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:39 pm

Freezing rain! Everything is closed tomorrow too. Atlanta is better prepared this time.

No power outages (yet). As long as we have electricity, all is well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down