Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Disaggregating Asian-American educational attainment

+2
truthbetold
Rishi
6 posters

Go down

Disaggregating Asian-American educational attainment Empty Disaggregating Asian-American educational attainment

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:35 pm

http://computinged.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/disaggregating-asian-american-educational-attainment/

Computer science is mostly white or Asian and male. We have lots of data to support that. What I didn’t realize was how sub-groups within Asian-American differ markedly in their educational attainment. A new report from NYU and ETS disaggregates the data, and below is the startling graphic that Rick Adrion pointed me to.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Disaggregating Asian-American educational attainment Empty Re: Disaggregating Asian-American educational attainment

Post by truthbetold Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:04 am

Koreans and Taiwanese seem to be more aggressive than Indians, Chinese and Japanese.

I hats these east or Asian to qualify Indians. Will the west ever correct their stupid historic mistake?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Disaggregating Asian-American educational attainment Empty Re: Disaggregating Asian-American educational attainment

Post by swapna Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:35 am

truthbetold wrote:Koreans and Taiwanese seem to be more aggressive than Indians, Chinese and Japanese.

I hats these east or Asian to qualify Indians. Will the west ever correct their stupid historic mistake?
Please tell me what the first sentence of your last paragraph means.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:45 am

truthbetold wrote:Koreans and Taiwanese seem to be more aggressive than Indians, Chinese and Japanese.

I hate these east or Asian to qualify Indians. Will the west ever correct their stupid historic mistake?

swapna

why don't you ask jai to explain. may be raja can help. or ask old fart flimflam.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:46 am

I hate these east or Asian to qualify Indians. Will the west ever correct their stupid historic mistake?

swapna

why don't you ask jai to explain. may be raja can help. or ask old fart flimflam.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:57 am

Rishi wrote:http://computinged.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/disaggregating-asian-american-educational-attainment/

Computer science is mostly white or Asian and male.  We have lots of data to support that.  What I didn’t realize was how sub-groups within Asian-American differ markedly in their educational attainment.  A new report from NYU and ETS disaggregates the data, and below is the startling graphic that Rick Adrion pointed me to.
>>> I wonder if there is a breakdown of percentages between Asians and whites in terms of recent graduation in the STEM subjects and also, the percentage breakdowns in choice of majors of whites over the past 5 decades. I suspect the percentage opting for STEM subjects has gone down drastically, with the shift happening toward business, pre-law predominantly.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Kris wrote:
Rishi wrote:http://computinged.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/disaggregating-asian-american-educational-attainment/

Computer science is mostly white or Asian and male.  We have lots of data to support that.  What I didn’t realize was how sub-groups within Asian-American differ markedly in their educational attainment.  A new report from NYU and ETS disaggregates the data, and below is the startling graphic that Rick Adrion pointed me to.
>>> I wonder if there is a breakdown of percentages between Asians and whites in terms of recent graduation in the STEM subjects and also, the percentage breakdowns in choice of majors of whites over the past 5 decades. I suspect the percentage opting for STEM subjects has gone down drastically, with the shift happening toward business, pre-law predominantly.

I dont think much has changed. Despite interest in law and business, most do STEM subjects in UG. very few do humanities - just the fear about lack of opportunities and cultural effects. Just see how difficult it is for a non-STEM girl/guy to find a match. Their pool is reduced drastically. It will be another 3 or 4 generations before things change much - or it might continue to remain the same as in the jewish and chinese/korean communities.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:45 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kris wrote:

I dont think much has changed. Despite interest in law and business, most do STEM subjects in UG. very few do humanities - just the fear about lack of opportunities and cultural effects. Just see how difficult it is for a non-STEM girl/guy to find a match. Their pool is reduced drastically.  It will be another 3 or 4 generations before things change much - or it might continue to remain the  same as in the jewish and chinese/korean communities.

>>>>My question was about whites. At least in California, the STEM majors are predominantly Asian. I have a theory about this, which pertains to high school preparation getting dumbed down, where it is left up to the kids as to whether to take the harder classes or not.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:58 pm

Kris wrote:[

>>>>My question was about whites. At least in California, the STEM majors are predominantly Asian. I have a theory about this, which pertains to high school preparation getting dumbed down, where it is left up to the kids as to whether to take the harder classes or not.

I agree...i strongly believe the whole system is being dumbed down. If the students cannot do well enough to achieve competency, then make education easy enough to meet the students effort and intelligence.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:16 pm

I agree...i strongly believe the whole system is being dumbed down. If the students cannot do well enough to achieve competency, then make education easy enough to meet the students effort and intelligence.

i keep hearing this sort of narrative a lot, but my reality on the ground (and it's possible it's because of my geographical location) is very different from what you are saying. competition is intense and there is certainly no dumbing down. in fact quite the opposite.

the kids i see have crazy academic schedules, no different probably from a highly competitive urban indian school kid and it's even crazier (probably compared to indian kids from india) with all the other check boxes they have to tick off.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i keep hearing this sort of narrative a lot, but my reality on the ground (and it's possible it's because of my geographical location) is very different from what you are saying. competition is intense and there is certainly no dumbing down. in fact quite the opposite.

the kids i see have crazy academic schedules, no different probably from a highly competitive urban indian school kid and it's even crazier (probably compared to indian kids from india) with all the other check boxes they have to tick off.

Earlier or now the top 2% were exemplary and one has to choose from a pool of 25% of great students - which is the reason why the school recos attest the student is in the top 10 or 25% of the class. Many top state schools give tuition discount for top 10 or 25% of the students.

here is the catch. the top 25 is not the old top 25%. except for the top 10% - which still compete seriously for the elite 2% of seats, jobs, pay etc...- the rest are not as great. the curriculum has been dumbed down. the top 10% take AP courses, college courses, etc...which is indicative of the lack of high-enough-standard courses at schools.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down