Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dignity in grief

5 posters

Go down

dignity in grief Empty dignity in grief

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:48 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/world/flight-370-family-missing-india/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

dignity in grief Empty Re: dignity in grief

Post by Kris Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:01 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/world/flight-370-family-missing-india/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

>>This gentleman went to school with a couple of my friends. I hope there is a miracle against the tremendous odds.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:40 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/world/flight-370-family-missing-india/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

>>>

My heartfelt condolences to Mr. Narendran. I know how he feels. Some of my close relatives died at young age due to accidents.

However, every person or even a community express grief in their own way. Who are we to judge their mode of grief?

This reminds me of what a highly educated lady told me. I was pointing out to her how dalits in large numbers are converting to Christianity. She said they are better off doing that because Christian funerals are conducted in a sombre manner as opposed to Dalits wailing and breast beating. She was not aware this kind of practice happens in many places all over the world. Why is loud display of grief so bad?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:56 am

Rishi wrote:

>>>

My heartfelt condolences to Mr. Narendran. I know how he feels. Some of my close relatives  died at young age due to accidents.

However, every person or even a community express grief in their own way. Who are we to judge their mode of grief?

This reminds me of what a highly educated lady told me. I was pointing out to her how dalits in large numbers are converting to Christianity. She said they are better off doing that because Christian funerals are conducted in a sombre manner as opposed to Dalits wailing and breast beating. She was not aware this kind of practice happens in many places all over the world. Why is loud display of grief so bad?

Mr. Narendran is an educated gentleman - very likely a TamBrahm. Conditioned for decades to behave calmly in front of a 3rd person. His behavior, is typical of the behavior of educated people, people from TamBrahmi community, and typical of hindu culture blaming it on "Fate and God". I know a couple whose fathers disappeared flying in in a small plane in India decades ago. that is how the couple came to know of each other and married. Not a commercial flight but small plane. The woman would describe that she could mentally never accept her dad was no more. While a death brings tragedy and disaster to a family, seeing the dead body and going through the rituals bring a sense of closure and acceptance, letting the family to move on.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:28 pm

rishi -- i only commented on mr.narendran. he reminds me of a few male ancestors of mine that i greatly admire. how is this in any way judgment on other people? sometimes your thought process baffles me in the leaps it makes.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rishi -- i only commented on mr.narendran. he reminds me of a few male ancestors of mine that i greatly admire. how is this in any way judgment on other people? sometimes your thought process baffles me in the leaps it makes.

1. The article says "Two mothers wailed at a press briefing room in Kuala Lumpur; their grief echoed around the world on television sets and on the Internet."

2. The title of your post was "dignity in grief"

You compared Mr. Narendran's quiet reaction to that of others whose loved ones were on the plane and judged it to be dignified.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:36 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rishi -- i only commented on mr.narendran. he reminds me of a few male ancestors of mine that i greatly admire. how is this in any way judgment on other people? sometimes your thought process baffles me in the leaps it makes.

Age and experience make one an intra/extrapolator....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Actually, Sashi Taroor was also dignified.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:35 pm

Rishi wrote:

1. The article says  "Two mothers wailed at a press briefing room in Kuala Lumpur; their grief echoed around the world on television sets and on the Internet."

2. The title of your post was "dignity in grief"

You compared Mr. Narendran's quiet reaction to that of others whose loved ones were on the plane and judged it to be dignified.

rishi, good point.

max, you gotta keep up with rishi.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:44 pm

Rishi wrote:

i did no such thing. don't make up stuff.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:45 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

age also seems to predispose some people to make incredible but sadly unfounded leaps of the imagination and draw erroneous conclusions.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:11 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

age also seems to predispose some people to make incredible but sadly unfounded leaps of the imagination and draw erroneous conclusions.

It is called the "Generation Gap" Grandpas always did that which the parents criticized for lack of proof and the grandkids found them amusing.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down