Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

False prestige

4 posters

Go down

False prestige Empty False prestige

Post by Rishi Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:00 pm

It is not only the school authorities who are to be blamed but also parents, many of whom are fastidious about admitting their children in a well-advertised commerce-oriented school even if they have to make their children travel several kilometres up and down either in a crowded city bus or a packed school van, or drive them to school in their own cars. Everything depends on their financial capacity.

Economically lower or middle class people always want to compete with the moneyed class and want to put their children in a sophisticated school or college just for the sake of vanity or false prestige. They do not realise that the sophistication alone will not in any way make the child greater than others going to ordinary schools.

The admission problems are more prevalent in the metropolitan cities and commercial towns. In the villages mostly government schools operate. Students from those schools are equally, if not better educated, than the so-called sophisticated schools in cities and towns. In fact, they seem generally to be better human beings than students from many upscale institutions. The finest example is our former President, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.

>>>This is true for colleges also.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

False prestige Empty Re: False prestige

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Rishi wrote:It is not only the school authorities who are to be blamed but also parents, many of whom are fastidious about admitting their children in a well-advertised commerce-oriented school even if they have to make their children travel several kilometres up and down either in a crowded city bus or a packed school van, or drive them to school in their own cars. Everything depends on their financial capacity.

Economically lower or middle class people always want to compete with the moneyed class and want to put their children in a sophisticated school or college just for the sake of vanity or false prestige. They do not realise that the sophistication alone will not in any way make the child greater than others going to ordinary schools.

The admission problems are more prevalent in the metropolitan cities and commercial towns. In the villages mostly government schools operate. Students from those schools are equally, if not better educated, than the so-called sophisticated schools in cities and towns. In fact, they seem generally to be better human beings than students from many upscale institutions. The finest example is our former President, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.

APJ is not a correct example. The private schools were far and few till the 80s and these really were interested in education. after mid 80s - opening schools became a rat race and MONEY was the motivating factor. I have 2 friends who started schools and they were not good students nor did they have any work experience in the education sector. They are in it just for money. Anyway, thre is lot more to it and in short there are no good non-fee schools in cities.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Rishi wrote:It is not only the school authorities who are to be blamed but also parents, many of whom are fastidious about admitting their children in a well-advertised commerce-oriented school even if they have to make their children travel several kilometres up and down either in a crowded city bus or a packed school van, or drive them to school in their own cars. Everything depends on their financial capacity.

-> and true for white americans too..

"In just about any other community, driving around with a bumper sticker for James Madison University, rated one of the best schools in the South, would be a point of pride. But this is McLean, one of the most affluent communities in the United States. Flaunting a JMU bumper sticker in a field of Harvards, Yales and Stanfords, Bowers says, is a rallying cry.

There’s such a status thing here: ‘I went Georgetown. I want my kid to go to Georgetown or better.’ It’s such a rat race,” says Bowers, who has lived in McLean for 24 years. “Nobody is taking a step back and asking, ‘Is going to Princeton going to make me happier in the long run? Is this even right for my child?’ Because there are real consequences to living this way.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/in-mclean-a-crusade-to-get-people-to-back-off-in-the-parenting-arms-race/2014/03/23/9259c6a2-a552-11e3-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:03 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

-> and true for white americans too..

"In just about any other community, driving around with a bumper sticker for James Madison University, rated one of the best schools in the South, would be a point of pride. But this is McLean, one of the most affluent communities in the United States. Flaunting a JMU bumper sticker in a field of Harvards, Yales and Stanfords, Bowers says, is a rallying cry.

There’s such a status thing here: ‘I went Georgetown. I want my kid to go to Georgetown or better.’ It’s such a rat race,” says Bowers, who has lived in McLean for 24 years. “Nobody is taking a step back and asking, ‘Is going to Princeton going to make me happier in the long run? Is this even right for my child?’ Because there are real consequences to living this way.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/in-mclean-a-crusade-to-get-people-to-back-off-in-the-parenting-arms-race/2014/03/23/9259c6a2-a552-11e3-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html

yes you are right 102%...there is a difference though. The poor and the middle class parents know very little about far away Ivy leagues. The top kids try at Ivy schools and try to get scholarships. At best the parents want their kids to go to the best state school that is available.

McLean area and No VA area are filled with well to-do people and naturally they would like their kids to go to Georgetown, a private catholic school. However, if the kids get into a "higher" school they would pay only a little more. the poor and the middle class dont send their kids to Ivy leagues spending out of their pockets just bcz of the rich do. That is the key difference.

P.S. If someone has a bumper sticker for JMU they will certainly laugh even in Charlottsville, Blacksburg or even kansas...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:37 pm

Why are you assuming that the parents who went to Georgetown university have not analyzed pros and cons of going to one of the elite universities? 

If we stop throwing individual names around,  statistics show average life time performance of kids at elite schools is better than other schools. So tell me why not send a kid to the best school he or she can get into?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:44 pm

truthbetold wrote:Why are you assuming that the parents who went to Georgetown university have not analyzed pros and cons of going to one of the elite universities? 

If we stop throwing individual names around,  statistics show average life time performance of kids at elite schools is better than other schools. So tell me why not send a kid to the best school he or she can get into?

Yes...as much as I am (and ave been) against this Ivy league shyt, that's the reality.

Those who go to any other school CAN be good and have to prove their mettle, while those who come out of IVY Leagues are ASSUMED to be good and it is for them to disprove it.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:51 pm

Uppili,

You buy cars on reputation of reliability. You hire people based on credentials.  It takes time for a school to establish its reputation.  The elite schools have earned their reputation over a long time and they continue to deliver.  

University of north carolina, chapel Hill and University of Texas, Austin are two examples of universities building their reputations through hardwork in last 3 or 4 decades.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:59 pm

truthbetold wrote:Why are you assuming that the parents who went to Georgetown university have not analyzed pros and cons of going to one of the elite universities? 

What's better than average, are the majority of Ivy grads top 1% earners or even top 5%?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:45 am

CD,

Easily available statistic is the starting salary after graduation.  Then the statistic who earns more over life time (not easy to gather but people form their opinions on known information.  

Speaking IVY grads, I would like to use elite colleges so you can add duke, vanderbilt, carniegie, chicago , stanford, caltech and johnshopkins etc. Yes, they run USA (and world).

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down