Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pissing on american media

4 posters

Go down

pissing on american media Empty pissing on american media

Post by michelle2 Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:52 pm

As the biggest election in history nears its conclusion, the western world is waking up to its relevance.

For all of you who are just getting interested to the political fate of a fifth of the world population, British comedian John Oliver offered a great explainer on his HBO debut last night.

On one side, Rahul Gandhi—aka “Indian Han Solo”—leads the Congress Party with good looks, a lineage that boasts three prime ministers, and a great vest. On the other, Narendra Modi—who went from selling tea in the railway station to being chief minister of Gujarat—makes display of his futuristic ambitions by campaigning as a hologram and promising a toilet in every home.

As Oliver points out, no election is complete—or entertaining—without a little scandal, a “je ne sais, genocide.” Don’t worry, Modi’s got that covered, too.

This seems enough of an enticing factor to add the Indian election to your news radar. After all, if you can be bothered to watch a leopard scaring an Indian village, you can pay a little attention to the lion who may wreck havoc in the entire country. And the half-blood prince who’s trying to stop him. And the wild cardwho may decide the fate of the next five years.

It matters, even if it’s not happening in your hemisphere. Says Oliver: “If this story isn’t worth covering, then nothing is worth covering.”

-- annalisa mirelli, writing for quartz.

watch john oliver here.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

pissing on american media Empty Re: pissing on american media

Post by michelle2 Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:09 pm

hahahaha. 

don't forget to watch that idiot, arnab goswamy towards the end of the video.

btw, who are the three people other than gandhi and modi in the picture?

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:10 pm

i think maria just posted this in another thread. JO is brilliant. jon stewart has a talent for unearthing some great comedians.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:53 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think maria just posted this in another thread. JO is brilliant. jon stewart has a talent for unearthing some great comedians.
i don't think jon stewart is funny; he appears to think that he is. he engages in too much buffoonery, and uses a shrill voice and facial contortions much too often. political satire is best delivered with a deliberately straight face.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:57 pm

michelle2 wrote:
i don't think jon stewart is funny; he appears to think that he is.

and so do a lot of other people including myself. he has a huge fan following.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:10 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

i've explained why i think jon stewart is not funny. you haven't explained why you think he's funny. and you can't explain why his huge fan following think he's funny, so that's not relevant. 

if you explain to me why stewart is funny, perhaps you'll have the last word, after all, for i shall have little to say about others' taste in humour.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:17 pm

michelle2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think maria just posted this in another thread. JO is brilliant. jon stewart has a talent for unearthing some great comedians.
i don't think jon stewart is funny; he appears to think that he is. he engages in too much buffoonery, and uses a shrill voice and facial contortions much too often. political satire is best delivered with a deliberately straight face.
that's the english way of doing things and i like it but for americans i think jon's style is more appropriate cuz - i could be wrong - but i don't think americans get jokes right away. they need his nudging.

i like jon, not sure why, probably cuz he was brave enough to poke fun at the republicans esp when the iraq stuff was going on, and anyone who didn't support the war was basically written off as unpatriotic. i also think he is funny. but my all time favorite comedian is rowan atkinson in the black adder series.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ....)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:19 pm

michelle2 wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

i've explained why i think jon stewart is not funny. you haven't explained why you think he's funny. and you can't explain why his huge fan following think he's funny, so that's not relevant. 

if you explain to me why stewart is funny, perhaps you'll have the last word, after all, for i shall have little to say about others' taste in humour.

much of his satire is based on irony which i think is very funny. further, exposing politicians' hypocrisy is always funny. the juxtaposition of catching people saying exactly the same thing or recommending the same thing in the past, that they have been vociferously critical of more recently is quite funny. lastly, although he does not usually participate in it directly, i like the mini interviews other comedians do on his show where they subject politicians to reductio ad absurdum.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:19 pm

michelle2 wrote:As the biggest election in history nears its conclusion, the western world is waking up to its relevance.

For all of you who are just getting interested to the political fate of a fifth of the world population, British comedian John Oliver offered a great explainer on his HBO debut last night.

On one side, Rahul Gandhi—aka “Indian Han Solo”—leads the Congress Party with good looks, a lineage that boasts three prime ministers, and a great vest. On the other, Narendra Modi—who went from selling tea in the railway station to being chief minister of Gujarat—makes display of his futuristic ambitions by campaigning as a hologram and promising a toilet in every home.

As Oliver points out, no election is complete—or entertaining—without a little scandal, a “je ne sais, genocide.” Don’t worry, Modi’s got that covered, too.

This seems enough of an enticing factor to add the Indian election to your news radar. After all, if you can be bothered to watch a leopard scaring an Indian village, you can pay a little attention to the lion who may wreck havoc in the entire country. And the half-blood prince who’s trying to stop him. And the wild cardwho may decide the fate of the next five years.

It matters, even if it’s not happening in your hemisphere. Says Oliver: “If this story isn’t worth covering, then nothing is worth covering.”

watch john oliver here.
oh who's the wild card?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:33 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
michelle2 wrote:As the biggest election in history nears its conclusion, the western world is waking up to its relevance.

watch john oliver here.
oh who's the wild card?
he may have meant arvind kejriwal.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:42 pm

Pravu, I was reminded of you and Flimflam:

pissing on american media Rio-2-Movie-Review-Image-4
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:46 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Pravu, I was reminded of you and Flimflam:

pissing on american media Rio-2-Movie-Review-Image-4
flamman knows i'll melt and vote for congress when he turns that pretty shade of pink and looks at me with those limpid blue eyes. i don't know how he does it.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:07 am

Gab, Nigel doesn't quite appreciate your attempt at humor. You're only making him more curmudgeonly than usual.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:30 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Gab, Nigel doesn't quite appreciate your attempt at humor. You're only making him more curmudgeonly than usual.
awkward attempt at flirting with a DUGIO detected. recommend taking the flirting private -- "get a room" -- or an online course for round, middle-aged men flirting with virgin-girls.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:36 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Gab, Nigel doesn't quite appreciate your attempt at humor. You're only making him more curmudgeonly than usual.
awkward attempt at flirting with a DUGIO detected. recommend taking the flirting private -- "get a room" -- or an online course for round, middle-aged men flirting with virgin-girls.
flamman, not everyone has your untamed innate hotness. besides it's just a secular-elite trying to be friends with a thirsty. is that allowed?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:13 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
flamman, not everyone has your untamed innate hotness. besides it's just a secular-elite trying to be friends with a thirsty. is that allowed?
hotness? a secular-elite? a thirsty?  scratch 

i don't endorse these descriptions, and i don't know what they mean. FAIL!

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down